What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
It's personal preference, nothing more. For some it is easier on pad, for some on sticks. I play on hitbox and its great. Again personal preference.
How are you finding it on hitbox? I think it's pretty sweet to use but I'm finding it a bit too hard to wave dash in & out consistently as quick has I previously could on stick. I've done the hitbox tutorial way for almost 3 months in when I got it in the summer but I just couldn't stand ttt2 anymore. Anyways I was wondering if you can give an opinionon Tekken & hitbox on what you think of it good and bad and maybe I can compare notes.

If you got any tips it would be most greatly appreciated.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
Question for Tekken Buffs:
I am a Soul Calibur Player at heart, and I learned Injustice and MKXL pretty well, how hard is Tekken to pick up and learn? I want to play it, because it looks fun, but I don't want to drop 60 bucks on a game and find it too difficult. I have heard things about all these backdashes and how movement is a nightmare and stuff, do you guys think that Tekken 7 is good for a new player?

Reactions: GAV

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
I want to play it, because it looks fun, but I don't want to drop 60 bucks on a game and find it too difficult. I have heard things about all these backdashes and how movement is a nightmare and stuff, do you guys think that Tekken 7 is good for a new player?
As a new player and Tekken enthusiast, I'll say this:

Tekken demands a level of dedication that you will not find in other fighting games. Movement is not straight-forward and it requires practice. Combos are not as easy (like they are in Injustice, for example) and they require practice. Neutral requires practice. Proper Punishment? You guessed it. The move lists for each character is the equivalent of 2-5 other characters in other games.

If you have any hopes of picking up Tekken 7 and instantly being nice (as in first four weeks to two months) you better shelve those hopes and hold on for a much longer ride. Prepare to get wrecked, and get wrecked but good for a long, long while, before you're competent enough to fight anyone that isn't just starting out.

I'd hate to chase a new player from the game, but really, I wouldn't want you to pick it up with the wrong mindset. If you have any doubts at all, don't buy... Save your money. What is and what is not "too difficult" is really up to each individual player, but if you think it might be too hard, it probably is.

Only pick it up if A) You want to have some casual fun with it and don't care about being competitive. B) And/or if you want to play story mode. C) You are absolutely committed to getting good over a long period of time. Think years.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
The difficult of learning Tekken is overrated. It's not that hard, it just takes time and dedication. You have to be willing to put in the time if you want to be decent, and a lot of people aren't willing to do that so they write the game off as being too hard. This mindset is amplified in an era where NRS games exist, which are basically the fighting game equivalent of a very shallow paddling pool. Tekken is more like an ocean, but you can learn to swim if you stick with it.

The movement can be tricky in terms of execution, yes, but it's actually rather simple to understand. The only reason people mistake it for being a nightmare is because they come from 2D fighting games, and so 3D movement is completely alien to them.

I'm not going to say Tekken is easy because it's not, but it's not the insurmountable mountain that people would have you believe. If you have patience and a willingness to learn, then pick it up. Pick a beginner friendly character (there are many) and start watching/reading fundamental guides online to get an understanding of the basics. You will suck hard ass for months, but eventually it will start to click and you will notice yourself improving.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
I would also like to note that the complexity of Tekken brings mental satisfaction like no other fighting game. I like being decent at NRS games, but it's nothing compared to Tekken. Winning in Tekken is so much more satisfying and rewarding in my opinion.

I'm honestly not even good at Tekken, I kind of suck, but it's still so ridiculously satisfying to play.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The difficult of learning Tekken is overrated. It's not that hard, it just takes time and dedication. You have to be willing to put in the time if you want to be decent, and a lot of people aren't willing to do that so they write the game off as being too hard. This mindset is amplified in an era where NRS games exist, which are basically the fighting game equivalent of a very shallow paddling pool. Tekken is more like an ocean, but you can learn to swim if you stick with it.

The movement can be tricky in terms of execution, yes, but it's actually rather simple to understand. The only reason people mistake it for being a nightmare is because they come from 2D fighting games, and so 3D movement is completely alien to them.

I'm not going to say Tekken is easy because it's not, but it's not the insurmountable mountain that people would have you believe. If you have patience and a willingness to learn, then pick it up. Pick a beginner friendly character (there are many) and start watching/reading fundamental guides online to get an understanding of the basics. You will suck hard ass for months, but eventually it will start to click and you will notice yourself improving.
In comparison the game is very hard to learn. A game like Injustice for example someone can play Day 1, and if they have the talent and time needed to play every day they can become a top player in weeks. In Tekken if you come off the street to play it will take you at least 6 months minimum before you can become competitive with someone who knows how to play going all out, and even longer to beat them consistently.

Top players in NRS, they'll have a competitive match against a newly built up player any day before someone in the same timespan has a competitive match against JDCR.

Guys can learn a game and compete with top players if they play enough, like say a few of the guys emerging in Inj2. Where in Tekken you can play 6 hours a day for the next 6 months and still get destroyed by JDCR after. It's like a disclaimer that everyone should know coming in, so they can have realistic expectations coming in.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
OK, some changes to Bryan:

Old moves: Qcf1+2 no longer launches on counterhit, damage on normal hit is slightly higher, still -12 though. Df2,1 deals relatively less damage than before, 2,3 is now the highest damaging punish at -10 to -13. 2nd hit of ws3,4 is buffed in damage. Punch parry is a b1+3 or b2+4. Df1+2 Sabaki is gone. SS2,3 2nd hit only launches on CH now. Fisherman's slam is accessible from qcf by mashing b2.

New combo ender with db1+2, 15 frames, does more damage instead of a d3,2 ender, knockdown, doesn't wall splat, poor tracking, jails to block the mid-high, -13 on block. Not as easy to hit as f2,1,4 after taunt but still easier than b4 or jet uppercut. Only use after taunt would be at a balcony break or a wall break stage.

New wall carry ender with qcf2,1. High-mid. Not much use in neutral, but the first hit is +2 on hit, -5 to -6 on block, tracks extremely well, probably fully to his left and very well to his right as well, can be sidewalked to his right but this is extremely difficult. 2nd hit is -11 on block. Natural combo.

New SS1 seems to be around 19-20 frames, launches on normal, hit, around -5 on block so it's a potential punch parry setup as well. Vastly superior to the old one. I'd say you could set this up by giving up your + frames, then backdashing a few times, then when you visually confirm your opponent moving forward and BOOM you instantly go for it, should catch button happy rushdown oriented players who can't play neutral properly. Whiff punishes df1's if you commit to it from a step, too slow to whiff punish a single jab.

New FC df4 is -10 on block, i15, launch on CH, practically a homing move, standing tailspin animation on normal hit for an unsteppable or unbackdashable 3+4 or d4 (b1 CH's everything here but can be stepped right, despite we seeing Knee go for it almost every time).

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Game is downloading now. Going to bed.

WE IN THERE BOYS.

Inj2 (Im having a shit-ton of fun with it) and T7.
Join the TYM Discord we have a PC channel! https://discord.gg/gQAPHf I'm already friends with you on Steam because of For Honor

Question for Tekken Buffs:
I am a Soul Calibur Player at heart, and I learned Injustice and MKXL pretty well, how hard is Tekken to pick up and learn? I want to play it, because it looks fun, but I don't want to drop 60 bucks on a game and find it too difficult. I have heard things about all these backdashes and how movement is a nightmare and stuff, do you guys think that Tekken 7 is good for a new player?
Same here this is my first Tekken game coming from an NRS + Soul Calibur background and my first impressions so far is that there are a lot of similarities from both games. Just some of examples:

• Movement is like MK9 but shorter dashes and of course sidestepping
  • Combo structure is similar to NRS games (launcher, filler, some form of extender[Injustice would be B3 or F3 while T7 is Screws], ender)
  • Strings work like Soul Calibur (some string combo naturally while most only on Counter Hit)
  • Akuma and Eliza are pretty much NRS characters without the excessive OH/Low in half their moves
  • Like Soul Calibur, you want to mostly block high
  • Neutral so far to my knowledge is similar to Soul Calibur and MK9 with a few exceptions (Your turn, my turn type of thing)

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I labbed Gigas and found some interesting tech utilising his d3+4 power crush stance. It seems if you read a Drag running 2 or a generic running 3 you can negate the frame advantage, remove pushback and block stun and if you are really on point, get a 1,2 punish. It works kinda like Soul Calibur 5's just guard. There is a small period where you can't cancel the stance into anything and if you don't press buttons at all after its over you will continue to absorb hits and only take 50% damage from everything, basically you can't be "punished" for whiffing the stance but your opponent could just do a jab string into a safe mid and keep you locked down during the entire armored sequence, Devil Jin's and Jin's 1,2,3 is a really good counter for the stance because you can get the last hit to get blocked when the armor runs out, some similar strings ought to work nicely as well. The stance is also a pretty sick way for setting up his 1+2 command throw. If a Drag comes in with his running 2 and you armor it he can't even jab before you can get the command throw out. Basically any move with a long animation and a long blockstun can be negated, potentially giving a punish or at least a throw attempt that's gonna come out faster than jabs. The stance is not a good counter for strings or at point blank range, I'd say the best use for it would be when your opponent is moving forward and you think he is going to commit to some slower move.

Last edited:

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I would say it depends on specifically what type of playstyle you're looking to go with in Tekken. Poke heavy, turtle, mixup, etc. Then after that, which character focuses best on your strengths and what you're looking to play. Then lastly you pick 1 you feel is suited and run with it.
This is how I settled on Leo.

I wanted a character that allows me to punish HARD, on block or whiff, without the heavy execution requirements or the poking difficulty (looking at you Kaz)

And despite being a lady, I can report with certainty that Leo pokes just fine...

Take from that - what you will.

:DOGE
That's the thing. In a 2d game I could easily say "I want a zoner", or "mixups" and easily break down how I wanted to zone or mixup and find a character. But in Tekken I have no clue what kind of style I want to play. Or where my strengths and weaknesses even lie. I think I'll just pick characters how I picked my main 3. Find a character that just looks interesting and good with it. I didn't care about their playstyles because the moves felt right with who they are. Law is Bruce Lee, Jack is a big ass robot, and Baek has a disciple in what was the most martial arts based fighter I had ever seen (T3). That's what I and Tekken need, an old master type character. Also I figured Baek displayed being the master even more since he got the job done with less flash and more refinement when you compare Baek and Hwowrang.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
That's the thing. In a 2d game I could easily say "I want a zoner", or "mixups" and easily break down how I wanted to zone or mixup and find a character. But in Tekken I have no clue what kind of style I want to play.
I see a couple solutions.

1) Just pick the character you like the most. If you don't like the playstyle, at least you'll like the character enough and be able to pull them out of pocket for certain matchups.

2) Think of three play styles that you suspect you may want to play. Try them out for a couple of weeks each and then settle on the one you like the best.

Once you're good and prepared, character's won't surprise you and matchups won't be a big factor. And, at the end of the day, I think you should have as much fun as possible with your character and play style, both.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
That's the thing. In a 2d game I could easily say "I want a zoner", or "mixups" and easily break down how I wanted to zone or mixup and find a character. But in Tekken I have no clue what kind of style I want to play. Or where my strengths and weaknesses even lie. I think I'll just pick characters how I picked my main 3. Find a character that just looks interesting and good with it. I didn't care about their playstyles because the moves felt right with who they are. Law is Bruce Lee, Jack is a big ass robot, and Baek has a disciple in what was the most martial arts based fighter I had ever seen (T3). That's what I and Tekken need, an old master type character. Also I figured Baek displayed being the master even more since he got the job done with less flash and more refinement when you compare Baek and Hwowrang.
From analyzing our matches I feel your optimal strength would come from playing a good pressure character, styled under pokes, with good lows, well rounded overall, with a good "get off me" move(s). Where damage and long range footsies are lesser a priority on the ladder.

With that in mind I would suggest trying out Feng Wei. He may fit you.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Pocket characters are not a thing in Tekken. You can beat players of significantly lower skill level with a pocket character, but against a player of equal skill, using his main, you will absolutely get wrecked using a pocket character. Pocket Jack could be a thing against someone who can't break throws but without the wall rape/throw abuse you have to put in some serious work.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
OK, some changes to Bryan:

Old moves: Qcf1+2 no longer launches on counterhit, damage on normal hit is slightly higher, still -12 though. Df2,1 deals relatively less damage than before, 2,3 is now the highest damaging punish at -10 to -13. 2nd hit of ws3,4 is buffed in damage. Punch parry is a b1+3 or b2+4. Df1+2 Sabaki is gone. SS2,3 2nd hit only launches on CH now. Fisherman's slam is accessible from qcf by mashing b2.

New combo ender with db1+2, 15 frames, does more damage instead of a d3,2 ender, knockdown, doesn't wall splat, poor tracking, jails to block the mid-high, -13 on block. Not as easy to hit as f2,1,4 after taunt but still easier than b4 or jet uppercut. Only use after taunt would be at a balcony break or a wall break stage.

New wall carry ender with qcf2,1. High-mid. Not much use in neutral, but the first hit is +2 on hit, -5 to -6 on block, tracks extremely well, probably fully to his left and very well to his right as well, can be sidewalked to his right but this is extremely difficult. 2nd hit is -11 on block. Natural combo.

New SS1 seems to be around 19-20 frames, launches on normal, hit, around -5 on block so it's a potential punch parry setup as well. Vastly superior to the old one. I'd say you could set this up by giving up your + frames, then backdashing a few times, then when you visually confirm your opponent moving forward and BOOM you instantly go for it, should catch button happy rushdown oriented players who can't play neutral properly. Whiff punishes df1's if you commit to it from a step, too slow to whiff punish a single jab.

New FC df4 is -10 on block, i15, launch on CH, practically a homing move, standing tailspin animation on normal hit for an unsteppable or unbackdashable 3+4 or d4 (b1 CH's everything here but can be stepped right, despite we seeing Knee go for it almost every time).
The new SS1 is godlike imo. Very strong. Feeling good about how Bryan made out in the console version.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Just showing these TZ scrubs how its done, bunch of cry babies with: "waaaaah, i can't do this combo, its too hard they nerfed!"
CBM: "Life in Korea wasn't easy"
me: "lmao, i came from a fighting game where we do combos for living, besides i main mishima since TTT2, i had some gud 3 years to learn my shit lul"
TZ Scrubs: "I can't even land the first b3, halp"
me: "lol, just this once okay? audio cues on 2 vids, ya scrubs figure out the rest, lul"

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
From analyzing our matches I feel your optimal strength would come from playing a good pressure character, styled under pokes, with good lows, well rounded overall, with a good "get off me" move(s). Where damage and long range footsies are lesser a priority on the ladder.

With that in mind I would suggest trying out Feng Wei. He may fit you.
Funny you say that because I've been avoiding feng wei ever since his inclusion in T5. I haven't gone through all of my list yet but I do like Lili.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Its been nice, but now it starts.

I have only played against Claudio (haven't even tested out his moveset) and have encountered no questionable or salty issues when battling him, so I have no opinion - but I would like to hear how others felt about the character.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Ok. Had some time.wirh the game. Just sitting in practice mode. Findings so far are..

Jin is probably out. Didn't like him as much as I thought I would. Bryan is ok didn't grab me right away though.

Leo is a surprise hit.. she's pretty legit actually and in the running for my main.

Feng is awesome and a strong possibility.

Claudio is awesome and a strong possibility.

Steve is cool af but really not for a new player. I may revisit him when I have some idea wtf I'm doing.

Anyone have a link to a recommended guide for any of the three? And/or, names of strong tournament players for each character so I can YouTube some stuffs?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Its been nice, but now it starts.

I have only played against Claudio (haven't even tested out his moveset) and have encountered no questionable or salty issues when battling him, so I have no opinion - but I would like to hear how others felt about the character.
Can't watch right now. What are the complaints about Claudio? Character isn't even that good to be "ranting" about lol.

GAV

Can't watch right now. What are the complaints about Claudio? Character isn't even that good to be "ranting" about lol.
Maybe its outdated.

Rip was saying he just has stupidly overpowered options that are accessible with very little practice.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Maybe its outdated.

Rip was saying he just has stupidly overpowered options that are accessible with very little practice.
Well that's not untrue lol. He's probably the easiest character in the game to use effectively. He isn't the strongest or near the strongest considering all of the tools characters have in this game so he can have it.

GAV

Well that's not untrue lol. He's probably the easiest character in the game to use effectively. He isn't the strongest or near the strongest considering all of the tools characters have in this game so he can have it.
Someone won in the finals of a big tourney with him playing everything off alternating F3's and low parries.

I have no opinion. I'm just explaining what was in the vid.

Immortal

Blind justice....
How are you finding it on hitbox? I think it's pretty sweet to use but I'm finding it a bit too hard to wave dash in & out consistently as quick has I previously could on stick. I've done the hitbox tutorial way for almost 3 months in when I got it in the summer but I just couldn't stand ttt2 anymore. Anyways I was wondering if you can give an opinionon Tekken & hitbox on what you think of it good and bad and maybe I can compare notes.

If you got any tips it would be most greatly appreciated.
I find playing Tekken on hitbox really great. It takes a bit of practice to get wave dash in&out consistently but it's not a big deal. Overall hitbox was a God send to me, as a long time PC player (started like in late 80) there was only... keyboards. Bit later came arcade machines with sticks and it felt also fine for the most part but i never could adjust to use pad. It just felt wrong. Hitbox is pretty much a keyboard with bigger buttons so i can go back and fort with keyboard -> hitbox -> keyboard and so on.

As for Tekken and hitbox experience while wave dashing may be a little hard at the beginning it; hitbox give you the most precise inputs which helps a lot if you play a hard execution character like Nina and few others. In my opinion its comparable to stick and far superior to a pad.

Someone won in the finals of a big tourney with him playing everything off alternating F3's and low parries.

I have no opinion. I'm just explaining what was in the vid.
Claudio is fine. He has some great options and that fucking hopkick (best in the game) is really annoying to punish but overall he seems very well balanced with some obvious flaws.

Sidenote - we should really spam the shit out of Harada Twitter for an instant rematch option, that loading, repeat after each match process is annoying as fuck.

Last edited: