What's new

Tekken 7 General Discussion Thread - OP Updated With All Tekken Info

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
If there was a Tekken resource using the same layout as TYM and 8WayRun, I'd probably stop logging in to TYM altogether until the next MK game lol. TZ is archaic, new threads are instantly deleted and there are only a handful of threads and you will not find any specific information you seek. The community is generally hostile towards new players as in not giving much detailed help or responses.

I have been thinking about creating content on Youtube for Tekken for a very long time. most of the tutorials and in-depth guides are half assed and made for a child's attention span and they leave out crucial information about certain moves, like what type of okizeme is possible and what you can safely do without being tech rolled into a while standing launcher and what not. Tracking and hitboxes are not properly discussed, string properties such as potential parry or other interrupts or sidestep punishes are not discussed at all. TMM gives out false frame data or is testing the actual frame data while he is recording his content. Aris proceeds to babble on too much about single moves and wank around with failed combos and what not and it needlessly drags his tutorials on longer than required.

All of the available information is very basic and does not help new players find out the proper practical application of a lot of moves to maximize the ratio between risk and reward. Common situational meta or poke/counterpoke/whiff setups are not discussed at all.

in terms of in depth stuff: did you guys know that you can actually option select Heihachi's entire kit apart from b2, f2~1+2, d4, db3 and run up f3/wr3? After Heihachi puts himself at around -1 to -3 you can sidestep left, sidestep cancel into stand block then tap db to flash duck then immediately stand back up. Everything else is going to whiff or get blocked when done properly, I shit you not, do it properly in practice mode and be amazed at what you'll find. I've known about this for like 2 years, but I've never seen anyone discuss it.

I know I could deliver a great in-depth guide, use bullet points on paper then do a single take, I could cover absolutely everything there is to know about my characters in 2 hours.

Edit: Edited out a mistake, f1+2 whiffs on the OS, what I meant to write was f2~1+2.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
in terms of in depth stuff: did you guys know that you can actually option select Heihachi's entire kit apart from b2, f1+2, d4, db3 and run up f3/wr3? After Heihachi puts himself at around -1 to -3 you can sidestep left, sidestep cancel into stand block then tap db to flash duck then immediately stand back up. Everything else is going to whiff or get blocked when done properly, I shit you not, do it properly in practice mode and be amazed at what you'll find. I've known about this for like 2 years, but I've never seen anyone discuss it.
I had no idea about this. Damn.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I had no idea about this. Damn.
Basically what happens is, db2 whiffs, instant FC sweep gets blocked, delayed hits. Instant hellsweep gets blocked. Fastest possible crouchdash into fF3 gets blocked but this is very strict. fF2 whiffs or gets blocked on all accounts, df1,1 = first hit whiffs second hit gets ducked and the mid gets blocked same thing applies to b1,2 and b1,2 into demon breath cancel. B4 gets blocked, you name it, it's crazy.

One thing I've forgot to test is cd into fastest possible ws4 though.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Lmao yo Smoke we'll collaborate. You do the write-up and I'll make the vids. I'm making ones with a similar idea of KoF atm.
That Heihachi next level tech is too hilarious to not share. How do you even find shit like that anyway?

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Lmao yo Smoke we'll collaborate. You do the write-up and I'll make the vids. I'm making ones with a similar idea of KoF atm.
That Heihachi next level tech is too hilarious to not share. How do you even find shit like that anyway?
My usual sparring partner was consistently blocking my lows at one point despite me pummeling him with mids, I asked him about it and he said he just winged it off the top of his head. I started experimenting with what type of stepping or backdashing or flash ducking would work best and this is what I came up with.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
But it's not like ehrmahgewd buff Heihachi pls halp. if I see someone implement some type of step or flash ducking I can just try to iwr3 or f3 in their face and it's problem solved, if they magic 4 or do a 10 fr NCC I won't get counterhit out of the forward movement as I would be if I used b2 to tag em.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
You lab too much, you're on another level of theory fighting that this point lol.

I still don't even know who I'll main in T7 once it hits but I know I'll be labbin' it up hard. Not "sidestep left stand block to flash duck then stand block" hard but hard enough.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
You lab too much, you're on another level of theory fighting that this point lol.

I still don't even know who I'll main in T7 once it hits but I know I'll be labbin' it up hard. Not "sidestep left stand block to flash duck then stand block" hard but hard enough.
You must devote your soul to movement or you will end up like Shazam did against Superman. How else will you know where to avoid Paul's deathfist or Bryan's pressure hehe.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
The better characters in the game will absolutely murder you when played by good players if you don't implement some type of option selects versus the most common situations.

in T7 I think Dragunov is so good that If you consistently block running 2 you are going to lose. You could sidestep right into crouch to evade most of his kit in reaction to him moving forward.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Yeah I've been playing Tekken semi-competitively since T5, but I usually play other games as well, hell my car's license plate is "Tekken" lol.. but the super matchup specific stuff like remembering which side to avoid every move and remembering things like "if Dragunov moves forward SS right then duck" is something I've yet to do.
I know a fair amount against characters that I run into often (be it from locals or very common online), but even with them there's always shit I don't know about or a certain setup that'll fuck me up coz I hit a button when I shouldn't have or didn't duck the high in the string.

That's entirely my fault for not studying the matchups properly but it's a much harder task in Tekken compared to other fighting games, I'll be in Egypt when T7 hits and they have a big scene for it so I might actually go the extra step this time around as usually all my competition is online only which is why I always had it as my side game.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Smoke is way far ahead, the its understandable if you main a character for that long. And he is also right on the general opinion of TZ, they do this a lot and finding new threads its a nightmare.

Today i was discussing with some dudes a 50-50 on wakeup theory jin has with d2 on grounded opponents at the wall with his d2 being a low attack even if they get out off the ground, they will still need to duck to block low, which opens for a d14 at the wall, which happens to be used a lot by the most experienced Jins i've ever seen.

Some dude didn't checked the frame data and was saying d2 is negative on hit (its actually +3 on hit) and ff4 is better for the mixup lol, he wasn't even sure what a 50-50 with oh/low was and he wasn't correct either.

CBM himself explained me if you get hit by Jin's second hit of bf23 on T7fr while you're crouching, his 1+2 out of zen its a guaranteed launch, some dude twisted this info somehow and didn't buy it, despite the fact that we've seen live proof of Furumizu, Shudy, Chikurin, and pretty much every Jin in Japan doing bf23 into 1+2 out of zen every single time and getting actually launching ppl not only pressing buttons but actually launching them with full string like old bf21df2 from T4. Of course there is more into this than just hit 1+2 out of zen in these conditions. Many jin players also cancel the zen into CD to force the crouch which allows them to bait this launcher.

So i realized i've know a lot more than many ppl in TZ are actually aware about him, and they're pretty famous of being heard complaining and what they complain about gets nerfed, so i'm not giving any more information, or sharing any knowledge i've collated on the past months, it might get Jin nerfed again and even him not being a SS or to the public view an S tier character, he is on a pretty good spot right now and he is the most well rounded character in the top of the A+ tier.

I was writting a FR Jin compedium on where i think the character stands, and now that i think about it, its better not lol.
They nerfed jin to garbage last time.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Alright, anybody... Newb question.

What in the Blue Blazes is "Magic 4"? Or "Magic" whatever. I get While Standing 4 & DF4, and SS4 even CD (crouch dash, right), but my little bit of puny knowledge of the game hasn't expanded that far.

And if you'd like to chime in and say what NCCC is, I'll go back and decode all of the tech we're getting here, at a later date.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Alright, anybody... Newb question.

What in the Blue Blazes is "Magic 4"? Or "Magic" whatever. I get While Standing 4 & DF4, and SS4 even CD (crouch dash, right), but my little bit of puny knowledge of the game hasn't expanded that far.

And if you'd like to chime in and say what NCCC is, I'll go back and decode all of the tech we're getting here, at a later date.
magic 4 refers to generic standing 4's that are i12 or i11 with some characters, they launch on counterhit and due to the speed they have a lot of priority and a lot of people like to randomly stick them out whenever they feel like it. They are linear highs though and if you clearly see someone abuse them you should look to punish them, they have a longer recovery on whiff then it would appear.

NC = Natural combo as in a true combo on normal hit

NCC = Natural counterhit combo, full string only connects if the first hit is a counter hit.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
In the stream chat some people are talking about Bryan's qcb 3 getting reverted/nerfed to not launching on CH anymore. Can you test this? Also test how much it is on block pls.
Sorry man, I don't really play Tekken. I just entered because it was free to enter lol. If the devkits/setups are still there tomorrow I'll get someone to try it out :)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
@Smoke_Of_Finland Its confirmed, bryan qcb+3 no longer launches on CH, sorry man.

There are rumors that Xiaoyu AoP got nerfed as well.

Eddy's RLX4 now has stun animation on block is launch punishable now
Eddy's B14 no longer full connect on CH either.

Hope they didn't touch Jin, but it seems they addressed the overbuffed characters.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
More changes, and more will be incoming in the next hour.

Throw teching window has been increased, you can now option select throws doing 1 into 1+2 or 1 into 2 or 1+2 into 2 lol.