What's new

General/Other - Takeda Takeda General Discussion Thread

I'm actually having problems with my SR takeda. I can't really seem to get good pressure going when I play against most characters that can just poke me out. I also have a hard time punishing some moves in the game I know f2 and f1 are his go to punish tools since they start up in 12 frames. His st 1 starts up in 9 frames but it's way too short to consistently punish or from what I've tested in the lab as well as in matches. I'm doing everything I can to mix my pressure up and nothing really seems to work...also his whip should hit more consistently I can't count the number of times where my NJP has whiffed on an opponent as literally goes right through them. Or if I do his b2,1 sometimes if the opponent is running at me as the whips are in active frames it doesn't faze them at all and they keep running for a whiffed punish...but the whips are going right through them. Also what's the best thing to do against people who jump over you with a punch I can't seem to AA anybody consistently I lose to this so much it's like I see it coming and react but it's like takeda Doesnt turn around fast enough to be able to do anything about it? I've been using standing 1, d1, and d2 for cross over jumps but just get stuffed or whiff it 80% of the time. Any help would be appreciated. I refuse to drop this character since he's the only one I kind of like in the whole cast...sue me haha. I play ronin also btw and a bit of lasher.

Last edited:

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Kinda looking to get back into Takeda again. How is he with all the patches he got since August of last year?

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
I'm actually having problems with my SR takeda.rs that can just poke me out. I also have a hard time punishing some moves in the game
Here's what you should be doing in terms of SR pressure:
At midscreen, abuse B2,1 and B2 and then cancel it into low kunai. If the people you're fighting start to figure out how to get around your Kunai pressure, you can cancel the whip strings into a teleport-cancel to make you safe. If your opponent starts to get hit by B2,1 or B2 then be sure to HITCONFIRM into BF1 or ExBF1 for damage. You rarely want to be in someone's face in this variation because of takeda's poorish wakeups. However, with the way I play Takeda, I usually have my opponent so conditioned that I can run up for a free grab.

SR up-close fighting:
If you play this game a lot you can usually tell when someone is going to throw out a poke after a blockstring. You can Usually punish this really easily with an Instant NJP and convert for around 30% meterless damage. If you're having trouble punishing unsafe moves, you could always use 1,1,2 into BF2. But as you said yeah, F1 is his best meterless punish. You can also use the F1,2,2+4 string for up-close pressure, and cancel into a kunai or a teleport-cancel. If you see anyone get hit during the string, dont be afraid to hitconfirm.

Godlike Anti-Airs:
Takeda literally controls the Sky. It's his territory and no one else can have it (well maybe except for Mileena sometimes). If you haven't tested it out yet, go to the lab and set the AI to Jump or Jump Forward and use the string 2,1 cancelled into a teleport. B1,1 cancelled into teleport works as a midscreen Anti-Air as well (More helpful against Slasher Jasons if you ask me).

Wakeups: ExBF2 can be broken easily, however, I use it more as a counter-poke If I'm not feeling confident in my NJP. Other than that, I use ExBF4 or sometimes just BF4 to get out of pressure especially the corner.

Corner Pressure: You can pretty much stay at midcreen and use B1,1 into low Kunai or Teleport-cancel when you have your opponent cornered in order to force them to do something which can cause them to make a mistake. If they try to jump out of b1,1 then it's free damage.

Starting games:
If you think your opponent is going to jump at the start if the match to get the meter, you can start with 2,1, teleport for free damage. If not, then you can usually jump back and try DB1 to test how much your opponent knows about the MU.

Other stuff:
If your opponent is conditioned to blocking the B2,1 overheads, it opens them up for a B3 into BF2. You can also almost always time a B2,1 to almost jail right after a BF1 ender, however some characters can slide through it, but not often.

Let me know if this helps

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
I made a little tutorial about takedas vortex for the shirai ryu variation. Make sure to drop a thumbs up!
good stuff making a video man .. Raptor made a video about this also - also he took it a little further adding delays so its better with confirming and gives you more of a chance of staying safe. its in his videos on his YT channel.. id give that a peak as well.

good stuff making a video man .. Raptor made a video about this also - also he took it a little further adding delays so its better with confirming and gives you more of a chance of staying safe. its in his videos on his YT channel.. id give that a peak as well.
Dang he already made a video about it :(. Red Raptor and ST9RM are like the best takedas out there. I would love to see them face each other!

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
Dang he already made a video about it :(. Red Raptor and ST9RM are like the best takedas out there. I would love to see them face each other!

haha all good man - least youre contributing, but yeah he did . i dont think they have had sets vs each other but i do know raptor posted up some matches with him vs hayatei on his YT channel.. havent watched yet but those should be really good.

Last edited:

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
haha all good man - least your contributing but yeah he did . i dont thin they have sets vs each other but i do know raptor posted up so matches with him vs hayatei on his YT channel.. havent watched yet but those should be really good.
To be honest, it's not a very good vortex, so I typically never use it, but yeah I always knew about it from @Red Raptor

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
To be honest, it's not a very good vortex, so I typically never use it, but yeah I always knew about it from @Red Raptor

not very good?? i think thats gotta be in the eye of the beholder. if this was the only thing takeda had id say maybe its not a big deal in the long run, BUT, at any moment you can go straight into hardblockable or just straight kunai pressure.. i think this vortex is a very good one because you can use it to always keep your opponent guessing and if you delay/confirm it , then its basically safe. also if this is something that you use sparingly it can become a secret weapon and fluster your opponent. ive took many matches as using this as an ace up my sleeve to close out a round or even condidtion my opponent to block a certain way ..

i think its good, but really to each his own- thats one of the good things about takeda that even in one varation, theres more than one way to ply him effectively :)

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
not very good?? i think thats gotta be in the eye of the beholder. if this was the only thing takeda had id say maybe its not a big deal in the long run, BUT, at any moment you can go straight into hardblockable or just straight kunai pressure.. i think this vortex is a very good one because you can use it to always keep your opponent guessing and if you delay/confirm it , then its basically safe. also if this is something that you use sparingly it can become a secret weapon and fluster your opponent. ive took many matches as using this as an ace up my sleeve to close out a round or even condidtion my opponent to block a certain way ..

i think its good, but really to each his own- thats one of the good things about takeda that even in one varation, theres more than one way to ply him effectively :)
I rarely need to use this though, usually because the people I fight always get hit by my unexpected low kunais and my teleport gimmicks :DOGE

haha all good man - least youre contributing, but yeah he did . i dont think they have had sets vs each other but i do know raptor posted up some matches with him vs hayatei on his YT channel.. havent watched yet but those should be really good.

Yo I got so hype when I saw the title but raptor was using marksman erron black the whole set still really good games tho I was rooting for both of them in esl yesterday but scar was too good

I never really noticed until recently due to the influx of Takeda players. NRS thought it was a good idea to speed up his pokes to compliment his ridiculous range on his attacks? Gotcha

Hello Takeda players, I have to say this guy is by far my toughest MU in the game. I think I'm going to swallow my pride and pick him up. If you can't beat him join him right? He just seems to have so many tools that I feel would fit my play style but constantly losing to him has made me despise this guy. What's a good variation to start with? I main Fisticuffs at the moment so I'm kind of a rushdown/pressure player. I can't believe I'm even posting this right now.

WeaponQ

Milksteak, Magnets, and Ghouls
Hello Takeda players, I have to say this guy is by far my toughest MU in the game. I think I'm going to swallow my pride and pick him up. If you can't beat him join him right? He just seems to have so many tools that I feel would fit my play style but constantly losing to him has made me despise this guy. What's a good variation to start with? I main Fisticuffs at the moment so I'm kind of a rushdown/pressure player. I can't believe I'm even posting this right now.
Try both Ronin and Shirai Ryu. Ronin is more of a up close, in your face kind of character while SR plays a more footsie type game but can definitely rush down if you want. I can't tell you much about Ronin because I don't play it but SR has all the tools you need to deal with every character in the game. Teleport to counterzone, footsies, rushdown, and mix ups for days.

Try both Ronin and Shirai Ryu. Ronin is more of a up close, in your face kind of character while SR plays a more footsie type game but can definitely rush down if you want. I can't tell you much about Ronin because I don't play it but SR has all the tools you need to deal with every character in the game. Teleport to counterzone, footsies, rushdown, and mix ups for days.
Shirai Ryu it is. Thanks man!!