What's new

Breakthrough - Sub-Zero SZ 4Oct patch thread.

Lokheit

Noob
Armor is gone on EX Hammer. PPJ said so. They forgot to mention it in the notes.
Then the new cancel after the grab is EX Bomb, at least if it launches as high as PPJ mentioned (if it doesn't guarantee a midscreen B2 then the hammer will still be the way to go), Hammer now deals less damage than the bomb and has the same damage scaling.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Well, he's still lacking a super consistent AA, but hopefully that will change with the jumping attack adjustment.

Beyond that, he's still lacking a good advancing string, but Parry recovering so fast might fix that too...

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Well, he's still lacking a super consistent AA, but hopefully that will change with the jumping attack adjustment.

Beyond that, he's still lacking a good advancing string, but Parry recovering so fast might fix that too...
We'll have to start using slide as an AA. It low profiles all jump attacks lol.

Lokheit

Noob
Btw I still have my excel with all the information (frame data, damage and damage scaling) for each move so tomorrow I will do a quick recap of undocummented changes to have the full picture.

Jeffrey Wolf

Ha, well the range on that can be tricky. But I guess if someone is jumping around you, you could just Slide out instead of AA. Him having a 7 frame poke now is also going to be so nice. Also, a slightly faster D2 will make D2~EN Slide combos more relevant.

Lokheit

Noob
Been doing that for ages :p And now that spacing is going to be more important as yolo mixandarmor isn't an option, I think you will see more jumps coming from a longer distance.

Jeffrey Wolf

Well, no matter what, super hype to see how these changes come together. I'm out for tonight, but I'm sure we'll all be hear again once we can hit the lab!

Lokheit

Noob
At first I was worried that they had simultaneously buffed and then nerfed to oblivion his F12 footsie string, but since it can be cancelled into Burst, it's not too bad, even if there's a gap. Though, you're going to have to be on point to either Burst for safety or continue the string for the launch. Seems like an unnecessary nerf to me.
I want to add, according to current frame data, now there is probably a gap in F12(gap)2 (current F12 on 0 on block jails into 13 frames F122 but doesn't jail into 15 frames EX Bomb, the new F12 is going to be -2, so unless cancel advantage changes, there is a gap there) but the positive part is that then F12 will be a tick throw and if you commit to it and it hits, the throw will whiff but the hit advantage is so high that you will probably even be slightly positive afterwards, so yolo-committing to the tick won't be as punishing (you just won't get advantage of the high hit advantage).

I'm wondering if there could be a way to option select to get F12DBF2 on block but F122 on hit lol.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Im reserving my opinion until I get my hands on Unbreakable + seeing what ever stealth nerfs and buffs he may have received.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
ice burst is huge. Having a safe ender, in a game where some of the crazy mids(kotal) got toned down combined with sub also getting a faster d1 ad d3..... It's a huge deal.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Ha, well the range on that can be tricky. But I guess if someone is jumping around you, you could just Slide out instead of AA. Him having a 7 frame poke now is also going to be so nice. Also, a slightly faster D2 will make D2~EN Slide combos more relevant.
If the D2 is slightly faster, then I could use this for the korner kombos as GM. I want to test if I can catch my D2-ed opponent from the korner with X-Ray command at the other side. Before it was a hard as fuck link to grab the opponent just doing 123xxSlide.

loogie

Noob
I think UB needed more buffs, just like balanced and ancestral. Anyways, I agree that GM is weaker now, however due to characters now getting out of the corner easier or more consistently then I honestly think this patch hurts GM a lot. I mean a lot of characters have good corner and neutral game, you take away corner from GM and he's done. I hope I'm wrong though.
by the looks of the new system changes, resource management is key ... so using meter vs Subzero GM would have to be well thought out, or to make sure its a get out of corner card. you can always bait such moves if you know their coming.
But since ex launchers have no armor now, the worse they will do with an armored move is 15-16% on a clone cancel or through the clone. d4 shatter could still break 2 hits of armor I would assume. if d4 hits.

moreover, the slower neutral game and less reliance on run mechanic benefits GM a lot ... clone still occupies the same space and grants a corner carry. you cannot just run up now to Sub and ex hail marry an ex move to launch or get rid of the clone. I just feel clone midscreen now is better.

just my thoughts, i'd still need to get my hands on Sub after the changes and see how all these changes effect his play.

Lokheit

Noob
Just had my last few 53% midscreen combos with Cryo for nostalgia's sake. I'm ready, bring the patch and the Cryo-Grappler.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Just had my last few 53% midscreen combos with Cryo for nostalgia's sake. I'm ready, bring the patch and the Cryo-Grappler.
I want to test things for GM and Unbreakable. You get the Cryo and let us know what has been changed.

So with the new patch coming out and with all the major changes to everyone I started to wonder where does unbreakable stand? Since mkxl is gonna be about a lot of footsies now and complete fundamentals I was thinking does this make Unbreakable viable or even really good? Unbreakable still has a armoured launcher and it also has two hits of armour...So what do you guys think? let me know, discuss :)