What's new

Guide Subzero VS Kung lao

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
MU threads will be coming much slower now due to midterms.

Sub vs KL is a difficult and very footsie based matchup, your goal as subzero is to close people in the corner, but how do you do that against the most mobile character in the game?

Most of your damage will come through pressure, not your pressure, but from D4s through his high (11)12 and special mid (21) strings

Kung lao is a character whose mobility is unmatched and has excelent pressure with one significant hole.

He MUST spin to establish respect for his strings and followups, you can downpoke all of his pressure strings with D4, his D3 is 9f so you can D4 that too.

After a 21 on hit, even if it's not hit confirmed, you can't duck and D4, you have to block another 21.

His teleport is always a mixup

Instant 3​
crouch it while not moving at all, if you don't switch sides his instant 3 will whiff, proceed to punish with 212 BnB, on hit the instant 3 is 10% damage and leaves you at +w8ing for somber, same as block.​
Late 3​
Designed to punish attempts to blow up the instant 3, if you guess wrong and block it, KL is at +10 and gets an unduckable 1121/21, on hit you eat a nice 45%.​
2​
Meant to punish D1's, don't bother with it, lets him evade and punish them.​
Main strings​
1121​
Good chip, good meter building, mainly used when you respect KL enough not to interrupt with something faster or poke, first 2 hits are high and can be poked.​
21​
7f that links to spin, special mid, can ducked, poked, or whiff punished.​
24​
WILL hit when crouching, on hit it's +4, on block -1, will be mainly linked to overhead which is heavily - with good pushback, dash in and you're neutral in his face.​
Divekick​
Can be used to punish iceballs, and get in your face from fullscreen or a plum flower, when he divekicks in your face from fullscreen while you're at neutral, he's -, poke with 22. Can also be used to get out of the corner setups for free if you're not careful.​
Spin​
Used after strings when KL is neutral to establish his pressure game, best AA in the game, can be used vs crossups and to hit you mid-212.​
F2​
overhead that leaves KL at +1 and at standing 2 distance, on block it's -10+ and grants you a free blockstring.​
B1F1​
Used exclusively after the last hit of 1121 hits, if you don't block or jump back it can be hit confirmed to spin, incase you do a 22/D4.​
F3​
-4 on on block, can link a special after but they're all punishable, don't be afraid of this move unless you've frustrated KL enough to start doing spins, block, punish in that case, otherwise, 214/throw.​
This matchup in my opinion is very close to a 7-3, if we'd go by decimals I'd put it as 6,5-3,5 in favor of the flying dutchman.​
You don't wanna play midscreen unless you have a great lead, he can't hurt you with just hats without risking a trade, obviously based on a read though, his low hat can be jumped over on reaction midscreen, his normal hat throw won't be used much. What IS dangerous is the speed of the teleport, you WILL be caught off-guard and will be forced to block one eventually, that's whats dangerous about it other than the obvious mixup.​
In the corner you'll start the slaughter, you CAN use the 212 clone trap but the risk reward is shitty, you'll be stopping at 21 so that he spins and you'll punish it, if you hesitate however he can get out. He can divekick or teleport out of the corner and might feel uncatchable, here's what you do.​
Teleport = ex slide in the clone, walk through him, 22 in the clone.​
Divekick = backdash and block, punish, make him scared to throw it out, he needs to be max height to get over the clone, 22 on reaction to the jump will either catch him or the hitbox of the second 2 will throw him in the clone as he goes over you.​
If you don't wanna go in a general teleport mixup, uppercut, won't discourage him but it's free damage that can't be thrown away, don't uppercut if the teleport catches you by suprise, I guarantee you you won't make it. If you know for sure EX teleport will by an instant 3, walk through him and B12, otherwise jump back and clone or slide.​
Punish spin with B12, more damage, same thing with a backstepped teleport.​
Will add more if I've forgot anything.​

Seapeople

This one's for you
Teleport instant 3 will beat pretty much anything you try to do other than crouch. No reason to ever punish with an uppercut imo. I think the best way to deal with it is to train yourself to duck the instant 3 and punish with 212, or see that he didnt use instant 3 and block on reaction. If you think he will use anything other than instant 3 you can punish it with 22~freeze as soon as possible.

But if you're not good yet at blocking the delayed 3, 2, or 4 on reaction the best thing to do is always punish immediately with 22~freeze. Basically that will force Kung Lao to resort to using instant 3 which at least doesn't get him a full combo. (A correction on the first post though, I'm pretty sure instant 3 isnt neutral on hit, it's about +5).

Instant air clones can also be pretty useful in this match if you know when to put them out.

coolwhip

Noob
Teleport 3 is not neutral on hit. It leaves Lao at + (anywhere between 4 and 15 IIRC). However, given that he's air-born when the hit takes place, the frame advantage depends on how high/low he is when the kick connects.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Teleport instant 3 will beat pretty much anything you try to do other than crouch. No reason to ever punish with an uppercut imo. I think the best way to deal with it is to train yourself to duck the instant 3 and punish with 212, or see that he didnt use instant 3 and block on reaction. If you think he will use anything other than instant 3 you can punish it with 22~freeze as soon as possible.

But if you're not good yet at blocking the delayed 3, 2, or 4 on reaction the best thing to do is always punish immediately with 22~freeze. Basically that will force Kung Lao to resort to using instant 3 which at least doesn't get him a full combo. (A correction on the first post though, I'm pretty sure instant 3 isnt neutral on hit, it's about +5).

Instant air clones can also be pretty useful in this match if you know when to put them out.
it depends on the situation, there are times when you just dont wanna have to deal with the, especially as youre getting low hp and the damage/chip of 3/1121 get under your skin

IMO the risk reward is in subs favor considering how much KL gets from instant 3 but if you need to avoid any and all damage, uppercuts the way to go

Obs_SmSwag

"I have good taste because I like what I like"
Doesn't 2 hit sub on crouch block? He has one of those weird mid hitboxes and I haven't played the Mu in like 4 weeks

Doesn't 2 hit sub on crouch block? He has one of those weird mid hitboxes and I haven't played the Mu in like 4 weeks
the standing 2 hits anyone but mileena and sektor. kitana, kung lao himself, jax and cage don't connect on a certain range but it connect well enough for the opponent to have to respect it anyways.

btw some things stated in the OP are not accurate.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
the standing 2 hits anyone but mileena and sektor. kitana, kung lao himself, jax and cage don't connect on a certain range but it connect well enough for the opponent to have to respect it anyways.

well? are you gonna list them or just leave a vague reply?

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer

Doesn't wiff as konsistently against crouch blocking Sektor. On Neutral Crouch, yes.

well? are you gonna list them or just leave a vague reply?
chill out,

f2 is -9 on block and doesnt neccesarily give you a free blockstring because the f2 has a huge range if the kung lao does it far enough he can still hit you out of attempt to pressure him. f2 on hit doesnt always leave you at standing 2 range, again the range of f2 is huge so kung lao will have to dash up a little sometimes to connect his standing 2. teleport delay 3 is not designed to be a mixup between instant and delay perse. it has crossover mixups and some more stuff, some are gimmicks some teleport delay 3's are done off a good read.

and what combo do you use to get 45% off of a teleport 3? the double dive kick combo done off of 21 is 43%. also whiffed dive kick probably doesnt have recovery frames, if you pressure kung lao its probably because he didnt land completely, kung lao can do whatever move he wants as long as he landed completely.

b1f1 string is a string that is used in many ways and kung lao players all have their own opinion of how it should be used, some use it as oki pressure.

you stated f3 can be linked into a special, I dont know if you meant whether it can be canceled or if it actually combos, because neither spin or low hat combo into f3 on hit, just wanted to make that clear. also you should add that f3 is very easy to whiff punish, even though people shouldnt be whiffing this move anyway because of its ridiculous range and the move isnt that good against subzero because of the clone imo.