What's new

Guide - Unbreakable Sub-Zero UNBREAKABLE Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
I'm ok playing low teir , I'm jus happy they atleast made unbreakable better than no variation , besides 33% meterless off a jip ain't to bad

Kanalratte

aka FROSTIE
gave up on this variation. i mean i want to keep the aura active to reduce chip. but in order to do damage, i have to cancel into it or lose it by using the shatter.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
What would changes would you apply to the variation to make it more viable?
Apart from the general fixes, such as, 112 being safe with pushback, 114 being -6, and F4 having the recover shaved off so he can tick throw with it, and the obviously absolute must have: The parry should recover instantly on a blocked projectile, and he should have a traditional projectile, considering Tremor has multiple, Unbreakable would kill for Tremor's BF2 (I think?).

The regular aura cancel from any string should give him +13 frame advantage, while only the MB aura should extend combos.
The MB Frost Bomb shatter on an aura should buff his damage way up for 33% when converted into F42 Slide/Grab, 20+ doesn't mean anything.

The aura should be more inventive, exactly the same as it is for Kotal Kahn, considering the variation and move itself are similar.
MB Aura should also damage buff, while scaling the opponents damage slightly more + give him better meter gain for being hit (Same as Kotal).
The regular aura should build sub zero meter for blocking, rewarding him for what it is supposed to do.

He could also use with another string in this variation, something around F42, like F421, that is -3 on block, allowing him to force his MB parry afterwards.

They could also give him something for his corner game, such as the ice puddle, that maybe does chip like Caltrops, something to give him an actual corner game that he sorely misses in this variation.

It still needs a complete overhaul. I could go on record and say no one will ever win a major using Unbreakable as their main variation, nor will they ever need to jump ship to it in a difficult MU.

Antlergroin

Sub-Zero main - Tremor and Scorpion scrub.
Unbreakable would kill for Tremor's BF2 (I think?).
Noone would kill for Tremors BF2. It's so slow it's basically useless. The only times I've ever used BF2 on tremor is when I've input it by mistake.

Everything else i agree with.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Apart from the general fixes, such as, 112 being safe with pushback, 114 being -6, and F4 having the recover shaved off so he can tick throw with it, and the obviously absolute must have: The parry should recover instantly on a blocked projectile, and he should have a traditional projectile, considering Tremor has multiple, Unbreakable would kill for Tremor's BF2 (I think?).

The regular aura cancel from any string should give him +13 frame advantage, while only the MB aura should extend combos.
The MB Frost Bomb shatter on an aura should buff his damage way up for 33% when converted into F42 Slide/Grab, 20+ doesn't mean anything.

The aura should be more inventive, exactly the same as it is for Kotal Kahn, considering the variation and move itself are similar.
MB Aura should also damage buff, while scaling the opponents damage slightly more + give him better meter gain for being hit (Same as Kotal).
The regular aura should build sub zero meter for blocking, rewarding him for what it is supposed to do.

He could also use with another string in this variation, something around F42, like F421, that is -3 on block, allowing him to force his MB parry afterwards.

They could also give him something for his corner game, such as the ice puddle, that maybe does chip like Caltrops, something to give him an actual corner game that he sorely misses in this variation.

It still needs a complete overhaul. I could go on record and say no one will ever win a major using Unbreakable as their main variation, nor will they ever need to jump ship to it in a difficult MU.
Cool changes. Why does he need to be +13 off of the regular aura cancel? Seems like an offensive buff for a defensive variation. What about neutral or safe?

ArmageddonUMK

LongJohnCena
Yea I figured as much. Can b12 ex aura, b2 combo in the corner?
B12, ex aura, b2 combos both midscreen and in the corner.

What's frustrating is that it seems were supposed to play unbreakable as a rushdown character, using f4xx ex aura to get a free 50/50. While maybe not as many characters have such a good setup to a 50/50, there's certainly plenty of better characters in terms of sheer damage output off a 50/50. I guess that's sort of the trade off, getting a 50/50 off a blocked normal, but lower damage. It's still hard to justify picking this variation over cryomancer, when it has 40+ percent 1 bar combos anywhere on screen that end in hard knockdown.

Creepy00

Noob
IIRC B2 is safe at max distance, as for b2 being completely safe, it would make it a bit op.

Anyways, what is the trick in landing b1,2~ frost aura, B12? I can get it to come out but not as consistent as I would want to.

IIRC B2 is safe at max distance, as for b2 being completely safe, it would make it a bit op.

Anyways, what is the trick in landing b1,2~ frost aura, B12? I can get it to come out but not as consistent as I would want to.
Personally i wait for the clasp sound when he activates the aura. But if i have meter im using the ex version.

wayward

just neutral jump
B12, ex aura, b2 combos both midscreen and in the corner.

What's frustrating is that it seems were supposed to play unbreakable as a rushdown character, using f4xx ex aura to get a free 50/50. While maybe not as many characters have such a good setup to a 50/50, there's certainly plenty of better characters in terms of sheer damage output off a 50/50. I guess that's sort of the trade off, getting a 50/50 off a blocked normal, but lower damage. It's still hard to justify picking this variation over cryomancer, when it has 40+ percent 1 bar combos anywhere on screen that end in hard knockdown.
Yea more combo damage would go a long way to helping this variation. It's not helpless but it doesn't have the bite the other variations have. If the ex aura combos broke 35% that would be amazing.

ArmageddonUMK

LongJohnCena
What are you guys doing for optimal damage with 1 bar in the corner off a b2 with aura up? I've got b2, b2, d1, b12, ex freeze, njp, b12xxshatter for 40%. Really his damage isn't as bad as it seems, if you can get the b12, aura, b12 link down he can do 32% meterless midscreen, and 36% in the corner meterless. Granted, i'd rather he get that kind of meterless damage off a low or an overhead, but it's something at least.

On a side note, I think I hit rock bottom today when I got teabagged after losing by a pixel to a boneshaper:(

1 of the ideas i like is the instant recovery on a parried projectile. If they buff his defensive options then we wont need more block pressure.

UsedForGlue

Don't you think +13 is quite a lot though? Sub Zero doesn't need a tempest hat spin.
What would +13 give him?

Back dash-able B2 and B3.

Only standing 1 or F4, and nothing is really forcing anything when you block either of them.

11 is -4, 112 is -9, 114 is -12.
F4 can not be hit confirmed, and F42 is ok I guess, but requires meter to convert from.

Scott The Scot

What would +13 give him?

Back dash-able B2 and B3.

Only standing 1 or F4, and nothing is really forcing anything when you block either of them.

11 is -4, 112 is -9, 114 is -12.
F4 can not be hit confirmed, and F42 is ok I guess, but requires meter to convert from.
I understand that it's backdashable, but it's still really good meterless pressure that other characters have to spend meter for. After a breaker or in the corner, that would be insane and just too much for a charater you want to be more defensive. I just feel that's way too much, he doesn't have to be rushdown.

UsedForGlue

I understand that it's backdashable, but it's still really good meterless pressure that other characters have to spend meter for. After a breaker or in the corner, that would be insane and just too much for a charater you want to be more defensive. I just feel that's way too much, he doesn't have to be rushdown.
Im not saying rush down, I'm saying at least one block string that will allow him to use his best footsie F42 String and be safe, and maybe get a throw or get the opponent away, thats defence, not rush down.

Scott The Scot

Im not saying rush down, I'm saying at least one block string that will allow him to use his best footsie F42 String and be safe, and maybe get a throw or get the opponent away, thats defence, not rush down.
Is Kobu Tanya a defensive character then?

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
These wish list changes seem a bit...much. What are his real problems in match ups?
- Getting zoned out?
- Not being able to approach the opponent with safe strings?
- Not being able to open the opponent?
- Not being able to punish well?
- Not doing enough damage when he does hit?
- Not being able to stop someone else's pressure?

Not picking a fight, btw. I'm actually curious what others have noticed while playing the newly buffed variation.

From what I've seen:

- Getting zoned out?
Slide stops most zoning. EN Ice Ball also works. In addition, with Aura up, he can just block. Sure, it would be nice if Parry recovered instantly, but even if it did, the first two options are generally superior.

- Not being able to approach the opponent with safe strings?
His string are, for the most part, safe, as long as he stops after the first two hits. In addition, his forward advancing strings are fairly quick and cover decent real estate.

- Not being able to open the opponent?
This could be a fairly big weakness, since his overhead is unsafe, his low has fairly short range, plus requires a bar to get any real damage, and since his pokes/frame traps aren't that great, you have to risk a Parry or spend a bar to continue pressure.

- Not being able to punish well?
His standing 1 is quick, but in this variation he doesn't get too much damage off of it.

- Not doing enough damage when he does hit?
His regular combos are all in the 30% range, meterless, but, as mentioned, the 1 punish only hits high 20s, the low needs a bar, and the overhead is only low 20s. Of course, the low and overhead problem are fixed when the opponent is in the corner.

- Not being able to stop someone else's pressure?
EN Burst is one of the best get off me moves in the game, since it's tough to punish and also work as an AA. Sure, it doesn't do much damage in this variation, but it accomplishes it's goal. In addition, he can also mix in Parry/EN Parry if you want to risk it to get 30%.

Obviously, these aren't all the questions we could ask. In fact, feel free to add.

I'm okay with the low dmg output of unbreakable, my only requests to mitigate this would be to either allow meter gain when blocking after using ex ice aura, and reduce the recovery of barrier of frost. Even the EX version takes forever to recover and you just get punished crazy hard unless you had a good read on what your opponent is doing.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Hey guys, I've found a way to get comparable damage on his combos and have the enhanced aura last longer----- this way if you're going to spend the meter for your aura you can at least use it once the combos finished---- I think this is at least worth noting--- let me know if it's just a waste of my time:

For example:

instead of f4xxex aura fjp b12xxdf2 fjp 242 rc 1 rc 123xxbf4 for 29%

you did f4xxdf2 fjp b2 rc b12xxex aura 123xxbf4 for 27%

I'm wiling to loose damage for utility but I'm not sure if this is even worth it. This setup is much more lucrative off of a B2

FJP (required for character shorter than Ermac, Goro, Jason, or Kotal Kahn) B2 RC B12xxEXAURA 123xxBF4 for 29% or (31%)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.