What's new

General/Other - Grandmaster Sub-Zero Theory Crafting Zone

Making this thread to go over the one thing that makes Sub-Zero who he is... The Ice Clone. This thread is also a place to theory craft potential tactics and set ups of any variation.

In MK, I had deep understanding of the game especially Sub-Zero at a very fundamental level. I understood the Ice Clone, it completely fit me and is the perfect complement to me as a player.

Lets go over the theory of the Ice Clone...

The Ice Clone is such a dominant move because it breaks two LAWS (not rules but laws) of fighting games.

1. Footsies -

Im not so arrogant to think that I am this S+ player in any or all areas. As a footsies player I'm probably no better than a B or B+. However, the Ice Clone is to footsies what steroids is to an athlete. If you have B+ footsies and have an Ice Clone you will now appear to have A+ or S footsies. If the main weakness for your opponent to exploit is that they have better footsies than you, they will lose if Sub-Zero is on the screen. This is because the Ice Clone only allows one person to play footsies, you.

Footsies is about controlling space and space control. The Ice Clone allows you to split yourself in two by putting a stationary combo starter on the screen while you are still free to move around. You can put the clone out to control a certain space while you are still free to move around. Your opponent cannot control the space in front of them because of the Ice Clone, this makes the space in front of the opponent constantly controlled by you without you actually being there to assume any risk. You are also manipulating space by constantly cutting off your opponent with almost 0.0% risk to you. The clone can limit you opponents ability to walk back, forward, jump, etc based on where it is placed.

It is impossible to place footsies with the Ice Clone. Sub-Zero can literally walk at opponents and they are hesitant to do anything besides walk back or zone wile running away. This is because they can't stick traditional pokes on screen to keep you out due to the ability Sub-Zero has to put out a 1 frame Ice Clone. I'm not sure if the start up is still 1 frame in MKX, but it is still very fast and most likely still the fastest move in the game. This gives a character that is built for defense the ability to have a POWERFUL offense because you cannot go punch for punch when the character has a move where you cannot punch back.

2. My turn, your turn -

My turn, your turn is a common exchange in fighters. It basically means that after blocking most moves that its now your turn to attack. This is why footsies and baiting is so important in fighters, just because you are using safe attacks, that doesn't always matter or mean smart play in every situation. You still need to be aware of the situation you are putting yourself in after your safe attack is blocked because your opponent can usually now apply pressure, 50/50 mix up, throw attempt, etc after blocking certain safe attacks.

The Ice Clone doesn't just break this, it SHATTERS it. Sub-Zero can attack and if the attack connects he can hit confirm into a combo, if the attack is blocked he can confirm the block and cancel into an Ice Clone. There is no "your turn", you will now sit there and continue to move backwards and guess on which one of the several setups you are now in. You cant just simply jump over the clone, walk back, zone, etc because more than likely there is some setup that can counter your decision as long as the clone is out.

In the corner it gets really bad.. It is literally attack into clone cancel, get checked with an attack into a combo on hit or clone cancel on block, repeat.. You must commit in some way to get out otherwise it loops for eternity as attacks into clone over and over and over.

There is no "your turn" EVER unless you commit and make it your turn which still plays into the Ice Clone. Sub-Zero is not "my turn, your turn" he is "my turn, my turn again, my turn again, and again, and again, etc..". Clone allows you to attack with 0.0% risk of any situation after you attacks are blocked. Attack hits? Easy confirm to combo. Attack gets blocked? Cancel into clone and stay safe while still trapping the opponent.

The Ice Clone limits how the opponent has to fight you. You MUST zone Sub-Zero.. If you cannot zone him then its very hard to beat him. Look at MK9, as easy as it is to break a character like Sub-Zero its even harder to make him bad. You have to work to make him bad. For Sub-Zero to be bad it took POWERFUL zoning + a plethora of SUPER ARMOR + his (and everyone's with the dash nerf) ability to quickly advance needs to get restricted. Take away one factor and Sub-Zero becomes at least high mid, take away two and he becomes bottom of the top 10, take away all three and he becomes nearly broken.

In MKX it doesn't look like Sub-Zero can Ice Clone while in mid air anymore. However, the Clone was buffed in other areas.

1. It looks like it can be a shield to at least one or two projectiles before it shatters. This REALLY helps against zoning, especially if the zoning isn't as ridiculous as MK9.

2. You can throw the clone. HUGE BUFF... Sub-Zero was TERRIBLE as a close out character. He had no real way to chip you out unless he was close. Opponents could make miracles happen even when at a pixel of health. To be able to throw the clone really helps.

3. It appears that you can manually detonate the clone and dame opponents in its proximity. I'm not sure if this is true and if it is true I'm unsure how it will even work. In theory this would be dominant in footsies and corner trapping because the opponent won't be able to move without taking damage from the detonation if you detonate as they attempt to move.

Sub-Zero has multiple variations that will surely change up his play style from MU to MU, looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Last edited:

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I think maining Subby is what made my neutral game with other characters fell so awkward at times. I'm just used to throwing Clones out there and kindda make the space control in my favour. With other characters you have to work a lot harder to do that. I like the write-up, Tom.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I'm in the middle of taking ITIL Foundation courses for work, so I cannot currently read this in detail right now. But skimming through it, this looks like a great write up.

I hope to have more to contribute in the next couple of days.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
It will be interesting to see how he handles various forms of full screen zoning.

Ice clone absorbing multiple projectiles could be really really good, or just kill time.

Interesting write up

Matix218

Get over here!
Having options to explode the clone and to throw the clone should really add an interesting side to how sub zero plays in mkx. It will be interesting to see how opponents react differently to the ice clone now that sub will have these additional options. I dont think that not being able to put out a clone while airborne will be a significant loss. The whole idea is to occupy ground space plus in mk9 often an airborne clone was the most useless because of how easy it was to avoid unless it was done very low to the ground). It was basically only useful to do an airborne clone to essentially cancel your jump in. Absorbing projectiles is huge IMO. Even if it just wastes more time like relaxedstate said wasting time until time out are what many of sub zeros matches are all about so anything that helps him do so is a buff

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Even with the startup nerf the clone will be good because this game looks much faster and up close than MK9. The clone will either be way better or around the same thing as before.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
The Clone absorbing projectiles is significant beyond wasting time. It should allow Sub-Zero to get his ice ball on screen. In MK9, the start-up was slower than most prjectiles, but once Sub had ice on the screen, even some of the faster projectiles couldn't be thrown out after blocking for fear of trade.

Not sure how the MKX ice ball will behave, but I'd assume it's similar.

Matix218

Get over here!
The Clone absorbing projectiles is significant beyond wasting time. It should allow Sub-Zero to get his ice ball on screen. In MK9, the start-up was slower than most prjectiles, but once Sub had ice on the screen, even some of the faster projectiles couldn't be thrown out after blocking for fear of trade.

Yes this is a great point!

ryublaze

Noob
another thing is that the ice clone will always have the same model (might or might not change in the final build) but if this is true then he probably won't have specific clone setups like the 212 clone trap.

ChaosTheory

another thing is that the ice clone will always have the same model (might or might not change in the final build) but if this is true then he probably won't have specific clone setups like the 212 clone trap.
I remember reading that. But that has to be an early build placeholder, right? D4~clone turning into a standing statue seems like a weird regression.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I'm honestly fed up and tired of the Lin Kuei racism that has plagued NRS games for too long. Almost boycotted MKX after seeing the disturbing initial trailer. They were sneaky about it to; it looked like it was an even match until they pulled some bullshit and had Scorpion win. We couldn't turn on MK 9 without seeing Sub get owned, and that trailer just made blatant their bigotry. Thankfully, from the impressions of those who have played the game, NRS has become more cultured and actually made Sub zero a badass. It doesn't truly dispel the Subjugation but it's a damned good start.

One of the things that I was really good at was using the Ice Blast. I traded all the time with even the fastest projectiles. Sub-Zero is kind of like Godzilla in the way that he knows he is going to eat projectiles to the face, just literally have to not let it phase you. Being able to use Ice Blast was essential.

You make a great point which is why I see the Clone as having some huge buffs. The ability to stand behind it and get the Ice Blast on screen without being hit out of it or losing damage is HUGE.

Im sure he will still have several new setups. The theory will still be there, just have to find a way to apply it in the new game.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I'm honestly fed up and tired of the Lin Kuei racism that has plagued NRS games for too long. Almost boycotted MKX after seeing the disturbing initial trailer. They were sneaky about it to; it looked like it was an even match until they pulled some bullshit and had Scorpion win. We couldn't turn on MK 9 without seeing Sub get owned, and that trailer just made blatant their bigotry. Thankfully, from the impressions of those who have played the game, NRS has become more cultured and actually made Sub zero a badass. It doesn't truly dispel the Subjugation but it's a damned good start.
lol

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Iirc he retains the ground pound move on all variations sans Unbreakerable, where it's replaced by the parry.

The ground pound can detonate the clone but the properties of the exploded clone has yet to be seen tho.

ChaosTheory

One of the things that I was really good at was using the Ice Blast. I traded all the time with even the fastest projectiles. Sub-Zero is kind of like Godzilla in the way that he knows he is going to eat projectiles to the face, just literally have to not let it phase you. Being able to use Ice Blast was essential.

You make a great point which is why I see the Clone as having some huge buffs. The ability to stand behind it and get the Ice Blast on screen without being hit out of it or losing damage is HUGE.
That's about right. I never understood why so many Sub-Zero players (and opponents) didn't seem to acknowledge that he had that strong quality. So many Sonya's, Jax's, Liu Kang's, etc. thought they had free reign in the fireball war against Sub. That 4-to-1 trade would bite them in the ass.

Anyway: I was thinking about how Sub-Zero used the Clone in MK9 as far as what the goal was. I'm glad Tom mentioned it as an "offensive" tool because that's what I considered. Hiding behind Clones and running away is great and all, but that seemed like an elementary tactic that everyone assumed was the way to go all the time. The "goal" as I saw it, was to always advance forward, continually cutting the screen down further and further until the opponent had little to work with and ultimately had to commit to something likely not in his favor.

Well from what we've seen of MKX in general so far; they really seem to be emphasizing the maneuvering interactables. They even specifically mention providing universal escape routes from the corner. It makes me wonder if the "goal" of the Clone will be something familiar to MK9 or if it will be some strategy nobody is considering yet.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
NRS games seem to always come out on my birthday almost every time. So funny.. I want to go out and have drinks with friends while wrestling with the ideas I have in my head for the game lol.
Omfg I share a birthday with Tom Brady himself! *Faints.

Seriously though, what you said. It's bad enough I owe the IRS on my birthday, but now I also have to endure the inner struggle of celebrating with friends or celebrating with Fatalities.