What's new

Guide - Grandmaster Sub-Zero GRANDMASTER Guide

Creepy00

Noob
it is just player preference, both do the same damage either way.

It is no different from B2,B2,D1 into ice clone set up, outside the additional 1% more damage. If you can easily do b2,b2,d1, then this is easy as that.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Can anyone give an update on female corner combos? I'm trying to find optimal female only combos for the new combo thread but I'm honestly struggling to find something consistent without having to spend meter.

I take it we also prefer F12 as a clone ender rather than NJK?

Some help would be appreciated and I want the thread complete before Friday.

zoofs

bless
Can anyone give an update on female corner combos? I'm trying to find optimal female only combos for the new combo thread but I'm honestly struggling to find something consistent without having to spend meter.

I take it we also prefer F12 as a clone ender rather than NJK?

Some help would be appreciated and I want the thread complete before Friday.
starter xx ice ball, whiff clone/walk or back dash, jip, 242, njp, jip, f12
b2, 242, f12/b33d4 -> easy alternative for meterless hkd off b2 (females)
b2, b2, 1,1, b12 clone, njp, jip, f12 -> refreeze for females but strict - consistent on males as well
b2, b2, b3 clone, njp, jip, f12 -> refreeze for females v2
b2, 242, b3 clone, njp, jip, f12 -> refreeze for females v3
b2, b2, 1, b12 ex ice ball, njp, jip, f12 -> meter for females
b2, 242, 1, b12 clone, njp, jip, njk -> cooldown combo for males
b2, 242, b12 ex iceball, njp, jip, f12 -> b2 242 alternative for females with meter
throw into clone, roll/run, 242, njp, jip, f12

only shatters I personally use:

(anti air shatter if close and near peak of jump) b2, 1, b12 clone, njp, jip, f12
(anti air shatter if low or far) run, 1, 1, 1, b12 clone, njp, jip, f12
b33 shatter, d1, b12 clone, njp, jip, f12
12 shatter, d1, b12 clone, njp, jip, f12
b2, 24 shatter, 1, 11 clone, njp, njk -> this one is inconsistent and I either use this easy version or just don't even do it. Can switch out 24 shatter for 11 to make it even easier or work at different ranges, 24 only works relatively close.

you can swap out the b12 clone in b33/12 shatter for b12 ex iceball on females, haven't done any testing with b2 24 shatter on females because I barely use it in the first place.

you can replace the jip on most combos for a bjp njk to setup for the shatter but its relatively gimmicky and you lose advantage 90% of the time. I personally use f12 most of the time but njk is a better alternative sometimes because of gravity and the fact that f12 into placing clone is inconsistent on knockdown on some combos/females.

Last edited:

Samsara

Resident Cynic
starter xx ice ball, whiff clone/walk or back dash, jip, 242, njp, jip, f12
b2, 242, f12/b33d4 -> easy alternative for meterless hkd off b2 (females)
b2, b2, 1,1, b12 clone, njp, jip, f12 -> refreeze for females but strict - consistent on males as well
b2, b2, b3 clone, njp, jip, f12 -> refreeze for females v2
b2, 242, b3 clone, njp, jip, f12 -> refreeze for females v3
b2, b2, 1, b12 ex ice ball, njp, jip, f12 -> meter for females
b2, 242, 1, b12 clone, njp, jip, njk -> cooldown combo for males
b2, 242, b12 ex iceball, njp, jip, f12 -> b2 242 alternative for females with meter
throw into clone, roll/run, 242, njp, jip, f12

only shatters I personally use:

(anti air shatter if close and near peak of jump) b2, 1, b12 clone, njp, jip, f12
(anti air shatter if low or far) run, 1, 1, 1, b12 clone, njp, jip, f12
b33 shatter, d1, b12 clone, njp, jip, f12
12 shatter, d1, b12 clone, njp, jip, f12
b2, 24 shatter, 1, 11 clone, njp, njk -> this one is inconsistent and I either use this easy version or just don't even do it. Can switch out 24 shatter for 11 to make it even easier or work at different ranges, 24 only works relatively close.

you can swap out the b12 clone in b33/12 shatter for b12 ex iceball on females, haven't done any testing with b2 24 shatter on females because I barely use it in the first place.

you can replace the jip on most combos for a bjp njk to setup for the shatter but its relatively gimmicky and you lose advantage 90% of the time. I personally use f12 most of the time but njk is a better alternative sometimes because of gravity and the fact that f12 into placing clone is inconsistent on knockdown on some combos/females.

Thank you very much, I hope I didn't sound rude, I just felt out of my depth when it came to GM----- I felt all my combos were out of date, thank you very much for helping flesh out the thread. Hope you have a decent rest of your day.

zoofs

bless
Thank you very much, I hope I didn't sound rude, I just felt out of my depth when it came to GM----- I felt all my combos were out of date, thank you very much for helping flesh out the thread. Hope you have a decent rest of your day.
if you need any help with midscreen or other situational stuff let me know, I have stuff for everything lol

Samsara

Resident Cynic
if you need any help with midscreen or other situational stuff let me know, I have stuff for everything lol
I have universal combo section in the thread, players can default to that if they want midscreen combos for Unbreakable (that don't cost meter) and if they want midscreen combos for GM. Thanks for the help though.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Easy with lag corner game set up
B2 242 1 11xxdb2 njp njk db2
29%
(Replace 1 11xxdb2 with b12xxexdf2 for females)
B33xxdf2 B2 242 112 step back db2( 112 ender gives plenty of time to step back and throw clone)

(If they touch clone and get frozen)
B2 242 112 step back db2( 112 ender gives plenty of time to step back and throw clone) 21%

Edited

Last edited:

seakaybe

Noob
There has been very little comment on whether or not we are happy with the clone now after the patch. Are we all happy with the ways its works? Personally I have found my corner combos connect a lot more consistent but if the b12 connects to high the clone won't come out. I have noticed that you can do b2,b2,d1,f42~clone into whatever ender you want its no longer stance specific abut it does not work on the ladies.

Correct me if I am wrong but the patch was to correct how the clone comes out, there has been no hitbox correction? so we are still inconsistent on whether or not Raiden's superman will freeze and we can still get the hell poked out of us?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
The patch notes only mention new validity checks on ice statue, not ice clone. Are you saying both were actually tweaked?

The b12 xx clone hitting too high (no freeze) has always been an issue with ice clone in the corner. I've never used f42 xx clone instead or noticed any stance specific requirements with it so I'll take your word for it. But again, the corner clone freeze, b12 or otherwise, has always been inconsistent vs female hit boxes.

I don't think the clone hit box or "cylinder" has changed in this patch. But I know the clone consistently stops Raiden's superman since a few patches ago when they adjusted its hit box. Unfortunately, we'll likely still get poked through clone on occasion, unless someone actively testing can confirm otherwise.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I'm waiting to see the thank you video from @Tom Brady about this. Maybe he'll update the attacks that go through clone like Jax knee or Erron Black jab.

I can confirm that Error's 21122; Jax's knee; and Liu's f2 string get frozen trying to punish our b2 through the clone. Error's d1 can still poke through, removing the clone on block.
The clone does seem more consistent in the corner combo.
And ex clone now comes out every single time.

I went over some of the punishes that “shouldn’t make sense” on Brady's list; like the strings where limbs go through the clone without armour. I didn't go over DLC or Shinnok though.

Kitana's 212 and Kung Jin's 111 didn't quite punish the clone anymore, but checked sub and broke the clone.
D'vorah and Raiden's B12 punished through the clone.

Theses now get frozen with the Aug 31 the patch:
Jax - F3
Liu - F2
Erron - 21122
Kano - B13 and Choke
Ermac - B12

Durango

Enhancer
Man, I'm really tired of dropping combos. Made Top 32 at TFC, but would have went at least one more round over if I didn't.

B2 B2 in the corner is simply unreliable. I need something better than this. Any recommendations?

Matix218

Get over here!
Man, I'm really tired of dropping combos. Made Top 32 at TFC, but would have went at least one more round over if I didn't.

B2 B2 in the corner is simply unreliable. I need something better than this. Any recommendations?
I hate b2, b2... half the time the second b2 just won't come out. Its annoying

Creepy00

Noob
B2,B2 unreliable? Idk, it works for most people. The trick is to input the 2nd B2 after the animation for B2 is done.

You could always go for B2 242 1 11~ ice clone if b2 b2 isn't working for you.

Durango

Enhancer
I hate b2, b2... half the time the second b2 just won't come out. Its annoying
Dropping combos killed me at TFC.

B2,B2 unreliable? Idk, it works for most people. The trick is to input the 2nd B2 after the animation for B2 is done.

You could always go for B2 242 1 11~ ice clone if b2 b2 isn't working for you.
I'll try it. It never works online, but I think I can make it consistent in Training and at my next tourney.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I lost a 1st place finish to a DF Liu Kang dropping the b12 in that b2 corner combo. Most of us practice til we get it right when we should practice til we can't get it wrong.

Snoop88

Noob
In the corner I often miss njp after 242. Any advice on how to proper land it? Should I hit while I'm going up or at the peak of the jump?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
@Snoop88, try b33 xx ice ball, whiff clone, ji2, b2, 242, b334. Safe clone, more damage, more consistent.

That, or skip the njp and go right for jip. The set up is too valuable to risk.

Has anyone felt an increase of number of occurences where you opponents just walk in the clone and block it instead of freezing? Either my sparring partner has mastered this, or it got real easy to do.

Also, why hasnt this been fixed, its been around since mk9..cmon now