What's new

Guide - Grandmaster Sub-Zero GRANDMASTER Guide

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Against the females if I have a clone already out and I can't do the b2, b2, 1, 1, b12xx clone I'll go for b2, 242, 1, b33d4. Only does 29% but in the corner I'll take a HKD over damage any day.

Another combo I use if I have a clone set up is b33ex ice blast, b2, 1, b33d4 for 28% and if the shattered clone hits after ice blast you can follow with 1, f12 for 31%.

Not on par with the combos against the men but they work and ensure you can maintain pressure.
I don't think you need ex ice blast after b3,3 on females. Is that a typo? You seem knowledgable.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Sorry for the double post.

I saw it mentioned once in previous posts, but I think it deserves more attention. Meter burned throws in the corner are real good.

In corner, I'm landing B2, B2, D1, B1,2 xx clone (ice blast on females), njp, jip, ex forward throw, mix up. Hitting another B2 means nearly 80% damage total, b 3,3 xx ice ball means 60% and hard knock down. Either situation means the end of the round or damn near.

GM SZ isn't using much meter when he's got the momentum and I think this is the best place to use it. Only question is how many frames of advantage MB throw gives you.

Durango

Enhancer
Against the females if I have a clone already out and I can't do the b2, b2, 1, 1, b12xx clone I'll go for b2, 242, 1, b33d4. Only does 29% but in the corner I'll take a HKD over damage any day.

Another combo I use if I have a clone set up is b33ex ice blast, b2, 1, b33d4 for 28% and if the shattered clone hits after ice blast you can follow with 1, f12 for 31%.

Not on par with the combos against the men but they work and ensure you can maintain pressure.
What about combos on just frozen opponents?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
@Nu-Skoool, if you meant ex ice bomb, I think you're missing out on a bit of damage. With clone out (at about a character distance away) you can b 33 xx shatter, d1, b 12 xx ice blast (or clone if juggled low), njp, njk for ~40% and a safe clone.

@Durango, on already frozen in corner, I like either b2, b2, d1, 112/ f12 or 242, njp, njk, both safe clone set ups. If you're looking for damage, modify the ender with b 12 xx slide, and jip, b 12 xx slide respectively.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
What about combos on just frozen opponents?
If theyre already frozen I do jfp, 242, njp, bj1, njk.
@Nu-Skoool, if you meant ex ice bomb, I think you're missing out on a bit of damage. With clone out (at about a character distance away) you can b 33 xx shatter, d1, b 12 xx ice blast (or clone if juggled low), njp, njk for ~40% and a safe clone.
My combos were for the female portion of the cast where clone combos are inconsistent to land. Either way haven't labbed up shatter into d1, b12 ex ice ball. I'll have to check it out.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
What about midscreen, since NJP won't work.
Mid screen freeze combos depend on the state they're in. If they're grounded I always do jfp, 242, rc, 1, f42xx slide. This gives Sub the most corner carry.

If they're frozen mid air I do njp, jfp, rc, 1, f42xx slide.

You can do b1,2 after 1 for a little more damage but less carry, or f421+3 if you find yourself in the corner and want to put your opponent there instead.

Next time I lab up I'm gonna test midscreen hard knockdown combos. With how powerful the 50/50 game is in MKX I'd trade damage, and potentially some carry for higher potential damage.

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Here's
Sorry for the double post.

I saw it mentioned once in previous posts, but I think it deserves more attention. Meter burned throws in the corner are real good.

In corner, I'm landing B2, B2, D1, B1,2 xx clone (ice blast on females), njp, jip, ex forward throw, mix up. Hitting another B2 means nearly 80% damage total, b 3,3 xx ice ball means 60% and hard knock down. Either situation means the end of the round or damn near.

GM SZ isn't using much meter when he's got the momentum and I think this is the best place to use it. Only question is how many frames of advantage MB throw gives you.
May or may not have been me who you are referring to, but I love using grab resets both mid screen and corner. Midscreen should leave you with enough frames for an immediate Jump in 1, so just follow up that command with B33, or B2, or D3->B2, and you should have no trouble getting another 50/50 in, in the corner leaves you with enough time for whatever you want.

I'll spend my meter risking 7% for 40% anyday. It won't pay off everytime, it doesn't have to, every game that it does pay off gives you a massive life advantage (+70% for one meter) means the games that it does work become a LOT easier than they would have been, and risking 7% is fine to me, we have very little ways of spending meter to get a big increase in damage.

Last edited:

Durango

Enhancer
He doesn't seem to do a lot of damage on an already frozen opponent. Just looking for options.

And unless you're in the corner, you're only getting 25-early 30 percent on most.

I GOT HANDS

That's the trade off Durango. He doesn't do much damage at all, compared to Cryomancer who only needs to land 3 full punishes to end a lifebar, GM needs to land about 4. The corner damage isn't that different however, and you can use tricks to squeeze more out.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Mid screen freeze combos depend on the state they're in. If they're grounded I always do jfp, 242, rc, 1, f42xx slide. This gives Sub the most corner carry.

If they're frozen mid air I do njp, jfp, rc, 1, f42xx slide.

You can do b1,2 after 1 for a little more damage but less carry, or f421+3 if you find yourself in the corner and want to put your opponent there instead.

Next time I lab up I'm gonna test midscreen hard knockdown combos. With how powerful the 50/50 game is in MKX I'd trade damage, and potentially some carry for higher potential damage.
the most corner carry comes from 123~slide enders

replace all f42 with 123.... and enjoy your new corner carry.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
In the corner
Clone b2 4xxdb1 33%
Real easy , I'm sure someone has posted it befor but don't remember seeing it
Also I noticed it's a lot easier to connect a b2 run mid screen combo if you start with a ji2 but not ji1

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
You can push those shatter combos further guys. Juggle after the db1 with d1 and get a freeze in there.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
the most corner carry comes from 123~slide enders

replace all f42 with 123.... and enjoy your new corner carry.
Wow no kidding. 242, rc, 1, 123 slide has huge carry. Good call.
In the corner
Clone b2 4xxdb1 33%
Real easy , I'm sure someone has posted it befor but don't remember seeing it
Also I noticed it's a lot easier to connect a b2 run mid screen combo if you start with a ji2 but not ji1
Clone, b2, b12xx shatter does 35%. Good if you just threw the clone out. Also discovered that if you do the the clone setup involving njp, bjp, njk it sets the clone at the perfect distance for the following clone combo.
B2, 24xxshatter, b12xxclone, njp, bjp, njk for 48%.

Against females swap out b12 for 1,1xxclone. Does 44%. Think I may have found our new go to corner clone combo.
Have fun and let's see if we can optimize it further.

Edit:b12xx clone does work on females. Requires a slight delay after 242xx shatter.
Also you do a similar combo off b33 that works on females. Goes like b33xx shatter, 1, 1xx clone, njp, bjp, njk for 37%.

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

So I'm noting that if I delay the clone (about 2/3's to backdash distance) that I can consistently land some massive meterless shatter combos that I've found (53% overhead, 48% low starter, ender in corner, 49%/47% with Hard Knockdown, EZ 62% X-Ray). But the thing is, you are no longer connecting the combo the second they wake up, and there is a fair bit of distance between the clone and the corner. How viable / unviable does this sound? I like that it juggles really consistently unlike some other shatter combos, as long as you space it correctly, and the openers push your opponent back to the corner if they connect anyway so if it connects it always lands regardless of where they move to, however I'm not sure if I like that they have second and a half or whatever to play around. I haven't tried it in a real game, and won't have a chance to for at least a couple of weeks, so if anyone has any opinion on this, I'd love to hear it. Can post videos if necessary.

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
@I GOT HANDS I think the damage is too good to pass up. It depends on the opponent though. I get a lot of people who njp because they have the time as I adjust clone distance, which is fine because you can just punish the landing like mentioned in the OP with b2 or shatter. Once they're trained to block, pending the match up, I'd go for this pretty often. There are some good ways to set it up like max range f4 xx clone, or sacrificing some corner damage for something like b 3,3 xx ice ball, whiff clone, jip, 242, njp, njk (half step back) clone.

Also, I'm playing with ending combos with MB forward throw for resets, typically right into normals. But MB throw > clone is enough distance for the b2, 24... shatter combos mentioned by @Nu-Skoool . Note that clone isn't quite safe in that setup. It's probably best used only if you're really fishing for the shatter.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
To properly space the clone for shatter combos I've found that by ending your combos with njp, bjp, njk will consistently give you the proper distance for the clone to hit late to increase juggle time. You can also create the proper spacing by, instead of dashing forward after clone, walk forward till your at the opponents feet then do njp, njk. I've tested both methods and it creates a very consistent spacing.

@Ree301 I don't quite understand what you mean by not safe. I've tested my clone setups against Reptile and I manage to always be able to get an ice clone out and block his ex slide which is 6 frames.

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

To properly space the clone for shatter combos I've found that by ending your combos with njp, bjp, njk will consistently give you the proper distance for the clone to hit late to increase juggle time. You can also create the proper spacing by, instead of dashing forward after clone, walk forward till your at the opponents feet then do njp, njk. I've tested both methods and it creates a very consistent spacing.
Thank you! Can you do both at once? This should help make cloning a little more flexible

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer

@Ree301 I don't quite understand what you mean by not safe. I've tested my clone setups against Reptile and I manage to always be able to get an ice clone out and block his ex slide which is 6 frames.
Your set ups are fine, I was referencing your combos. The MB throw > clone is what's unsafe.