What's new

Guide - Grandmaster Sub-Zero GRANDMASTER Guide

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
It's a gimmick, admittedly, to use it as a clone setup. But mb throw in the corner as an ender is potent.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
@Ree301 actually you're not totally wrong. Off ice clone setups 3 jump normals can lose to fast armored reversals. However 242, njp, bjp, njk is completely safe.

@I GOT HANDS pick one or the other depending on the matchup. If the opponent has a fast armored move use walk up njp, njk. If it's slow reversal go for njp, bjp, njk. It's only a 2% difference. I'm in the process of finding out how fast a reversal needs to be to snuff out the 3 air normals. Then again I like walk up version because of better frame advantage.

Also I'm finding 1,1xx ice clone is consistent after 24xx shatter. So if you feel the opponent didn't float high enough you can use that instead to keep the combo going.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
Jip,b12~iceball, whiff Ice clone, jip,242, RC, 123 slide for 30% mid screen no bar.
i wish we could get a damage buff on either 242 or 123 so we could get that 30-33%. you spend most of the time punishing on block than doing jip. At least were supposed to lol

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
i wish we could get a damage buff on either 242 or 123 so we could get that 30-33%. you spend most of the time punishing on block than doing jip. At least were supposed to lol
If he got a damage buff on 242 his corner combos that I discovered, which are very viable, would easily break the 50% threshold.

Also I fnally found a very consistent female corner combo for 41%. With a clone at the proper, but simple to setup, spacing.
B2, 24xxshatter, d3xx clone, njp, njk.

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
@Ree301USER=37365]@I GOT HANDS[/USER] pick one or the other depending on the matchup. If the opponent has a fast armored move use walk up njp, njk. If it's slow reversal go for njp, bjp, njk. It's only a 2% difference. I'm in the process of finding out how fast a reversal needs to be to snuff out the 3 air normals. Then again I like walk up version because of better frame advantage.

Also I'm finding 1,1xx ice clone is consistent after 24xx shatter. So if you feel the opponent didn't float high enough you can use that instead to keep the combo going.
This is good stuff. I didn't think BJP would string into NJK but if you BJ1 fast enough it does indeed. Is this what you use? And what is the difference between this and your other way of just walking up, NJP NJK?

Also, what is the correct clone spacing for your 24 shatters?

And what is your 242 wall combo that would break 50% with a buff?

Thanks for your time, it's good to have someone else who is working out the finer details of tricks to improve consistency for certain plays

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
This is good stuff. I didn't think BJP would string into NJK but if you BJ1 fast enough it does indeed. Is this what you use? And what is the difference between this and your other way of just walking up, NJP NJK?

Thanks for your time, it's good to have someone else who is working out the finer details of tricks to improve consistency for certain plays
I find walk up njp, njk setups the proper spacing and I haven't fully gone through them but a lot of strings do too including his f4xx clone.

He can currently break 50% meterless now if you choose a different ender, if his 242 received a damage buff he'd almost certainly break 50% against the entire cast and would lead right back to a hard knockdown.

I think shatter combos are honestly the way to go. With a shattered clone in the right spot sub is left with frame advantage or at the very least safe, lots chip on block, big damage on hit that leads right back into the same setup. Subs midscreen damage maybe considered underwhelming but his corner game is ridiculous and with shattered clone a lot safer.

I GOT HANDS

I just can't see how 242 could hit over 50% when I can't even get it to 40% as is. Which 242 combo are you talking about? I feel like you know something I do not.

Only way I'm hitting 50% is shatter combos.

But most importantly, what is the difference between NJP, BJP, NJK, and just plain NJP, NJK? I notice that you said one is for fast armour one is for slow reversal, I just don't understand why. Thanks again for your help

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
NJP, late/ falling NJK ender is safe from fast armored wake ups, like SZ's own icy slide. You'd be able to clone and block before they could hit you. NJK, BJP, rising NJK ender has to be done quickly to hit and space properly for follow up combos, but would be punished by a fast armored wake up before you could set a clone and block. The former option becomes unsafe when up against the Kung Lao's of the world, whereas it's the better of the two options if you're beating up on someone like Quan Chi.

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
I just can't see how 242 could hit over 50% when I can't even get it to 40% as is. Which 242 combo are you talking about? I feel like you know something I do not.

Only way I'm hitting 50% is shatter combos.

But most importantly, what is the difference between NJP, BJP, NJK, and just plain NJP, NJK? I notice that you said one is for fast armour one is for slow reversal, I just don't understand why. Thanks again for your help
No no you misunderstand one of the previous posts asked for a buff to 242s damage. Which if it did, assuming not only the last hit received a boost in damage, Sub would get 50% into a hard knockdown because currently he's doing 48% into a hard knockdown off b2, 24xxshatter, b12xx clone, njp, bjp, njk

kruderf

Noob
I'm not sure if this is known or even useful but it's possible to combo directly into clone in the corner using standing 4. Only works on male characters though.

I GOT HANDS

And it's stance specific. And it's gauranteed to get you a lot less damage than connecting any almost other starter.

This has been said a couple of pages before, 24 shatter combos can be done up close. They can be done from every safe clone setup.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Yeah the OP should really be updated. Not sure if Tom Brady's still planning on maintaining the thread

Looks like shatter combos are the way to go now to further be even more threatening in the corner.

So can you do these shatter combos off of the clone setups listed in the OP (NJP to NJK)? Are these combos strict too? I heard doing Ex Ice Burst makes the combos much easier.

I GOT HANDS

It also makes them do less damage.

I'm honestly finding the 24xxShatters one really hard to land consistently. I find that spacing the clone back 2 steps after a NJP, BJP, NJK, lets me hit them with a B2 from just outside the clone, and combo off 4xxShatter for 52%, or rush up and F33 into shatter for 48%, and I'm nailing these ones 10/10 times, although it takes slightly more set up, 2 steps isn't bad, and I like the placement of the clone for multiple reasons. It isn't safe to set this up vs raiden or someone with a SUPER fast armored wake up, unless they are out of meter, but against the majority of the cast, seems alright. I can put up videos if anyone is interested. I may be wrong and derping massively on the timing of the 24xxshatter combos, but I just couldn't seem to get them at all consistent, and the damage is less too.

It also makes them do less damage.

I'm honestly finding the 24xxShatters one really hard to land consistently. I find that spacing the clone back 2 steps after a NJP, BJP, NJK, lets me hit them with a B2 from just outside the clone, and combo off 4xxShatter for 52%, or rush up and F33 into shatter for 48%, and I'm nailing these ones 10/10 times, although it takes slightly more set up, 2 steps isn't bad, and I like the placement of the clone for multiple reasons. It isn't safe to set this up vs raiden or someone with a SUPER fast armored wake up, unless they are out of meter, but against the majority of the cast, seems alright. I can put up videos if anyone is interested. I may be wrong and derping massively on the timing of the 24xxshatter combos, but I just couldn't seem to get them at all consistent, and the damage is less too.
your messing up the timing with the 24 shatter. Its very consistent. You just need practice.

Looks like shatter combos are the way to go now to further be even more threatening in the corner.

So can you do these shatter combos off of the clone setups listed in the OP (NJP to NJK)? Are these combos strict too? I heard doing Ex Ice Burst makes the combos much easier.
Yes the 24 shatter can be done from all safe clone setups. If your doing the normal ice burst then the timing starts at the 24 string. You have to land 24 immediately after you land the B2. It all comes down to timing. Ex ice burst does not require strict timing for less damage. But you can extend the combo for more. B2 24ExDB1 1 b12clone NJP JIP 123 slide 46%

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
So the reason these combos are a thing is because a dude posted a thread on the SZ boards of him doing these shatter combos in a video. The original combo off b2 was

"Clone, b2, b12 xx shatter, d1 xx clone... "

I felt b12 didn't pop the opponent high enough for the clone freeze to work consistently so I replaced b12 with

"clone, b2, 24 xx shatter, b12 xx clone..."

in my own play. With that said, if you recognize 24 isn't juggling high enough in a particular attempt, use d1 xx clone to freeze instead of b12 xx clone. Hope that's helpful.

EDIT: original thread introducing these combos.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/sub-zero-grandmaster-47-49-no-meter.51411/
@Cat, thanks man.

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Shatter combos aren't something good you always should go for. Its like a shot of tequila. Well placed and the clothes come off... ill placed and you're puking your guts out.

Houndovhell

Subby-Z is my Main Man, the Man that I Main
Shatter combos aren't something good you always should go for. Its like a shot of tequila. Well placed and the clothes come off... ill placed and you're puking your guts out.
Thank you, I was going to post something like this today.. The past few pages are nothing but talk about something that is VERY situational. I'd rather see tech on footsies or whatever else :p

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I think footsies and general tech belong in the general Sub Zero discussion sticky. Maybe check there for tech like that?

You say very situational but I don't think adjusting the clone distance is something out of the realm of possibility. Air to air hits confirmed to damage are pretty situational too, but it's not really a reason to disregard them, especially if the given situation means 50% damage. I'm able to do these shatter combos with some regularity, and I'll bet most people here can as well. And even if I dont get the right clone placement, I get a safe mix up regardless or I can punish a jump with the basic b2 bnb on reaction.

The topic doesn't hurt to discuss. What does hurt is when people post with no new input to further the GM variation, while trying to bash the subject at hand.

I GOT HANDS

Disregarding them isn't necessary, and I don't think there is any harm in talking about them either, if you have something else to contribute feel free to, but I can't think of anything right now, so as it stands it looks like at the moment we are ironing shatter combos, but that being said, I have to agree that Clone shatters seem really situational as it stands.

Houndovhell

Subby-Z is my Main Man, the Man that I Main
I didn't say stop talking about it :p I said Id rather see other stuff. And this is a subzero GUIDE. meaning HOW TO PLAY THE CHARACTER. if youre wanting to argue that, then I should say these shatter combos are techs themselves, and shouldnt be in this thread either :p

All I said is I'd rather see other stuff, cause people are treating this like its game changing information. Only 10% more damage. When you have your opponent in the corner, chances are theyre already 20-40% and any good players not gonna let you properly space a clone and not fuzzy guard the first mixup :p

IMO this is good tech, but its not something you need to be going for in the middle of the match. The b2 24 ~ shatter, is most optimal cause you can hit it with any clone. If you try to properly space the clone for the others, characters with divekicks with laugh at you, characters with armor will laugh at you :p

I prefer getting the clone as close as possible and pokeing on wakeup in order to null any possible armor, then run in into the mixup into combo.
You get 40% off of the b2, and 30%+ off the b33, so imo the situational as hell for potential 50% off of b2, isn't something I'd be spending the entire game to hit :p But it is good to know, JUST IN CASE.

So hard to get your point across through the interwebs, xD