What's new

Guide - Grandmaster Sub-Zero GRANDMASTER Guide

I've been watching Tom stream and hoping to pick up alot of the nuances of his game.
I am pretty much a beginner considering how bad I was at mk9 but am desperate to get to be at least a competent player.
Please could someone give me toms basic corner and mid combos? I've seen his combo after clone a few posts up.
I would really appreciate it! I'm in training until I have mastered at least these combos!
Also do I just use d4 and b2 to poke?
Thanks all!
You have all of the basic combos all the way up at the beginning of this thread. All variations have their combos. Practice them :). Tom also explains a lot of nuances of the Sub Zero game plan and strategies so once again I suggest reading the whole guide at the beginning of this thread.

You have all of the basic combos all the way up at the beginning of this thread. All variations have their combos. Practice them :). Tom also explains a lot of nuances of the Sub Zero game plan and strategies so once again I suggest reading the whole guide at the beginning of this thread.
Thanks, I had read it but maybe I'm missing where he runs in them as I watch on stream so assumed they were different combos? Thanks for reply.

TH3DISTURBED1

"Never say 'never'
The real question is why nobody is talking about using F4,2 into EX Ice Ball. I can't believe the range you can punish things at! And it's 11 frame startup

Embestone

Stoen
Maybe I'm slow, but what does it mean when you say "whiff ice clone?"
When the opponent is already frozen and you perform an ice clone input, Sub-zero jumps back, however no ice clone comes out. He calls it a whiff because the move itself doesn't hit the oppontent, it is just there for meter gain and spacing.

Alioune

Noob
Okay, so there's a universal option select going around where if you cancel certain attacks into EX moves using 1+2+3 instead of button+block the EX move will come out on hit only. An explanation of the option select can be found here.

So how does this apply to Sub-Zero? I believe Alioune discovered this first but if you do Forward+4, 2 and cancel into down, back+1+2+3 you'll get EX Ice Burst on hit but on block you'll get Ice Clone. We should all know by now that Forward+4, 2 xx Ice Clone is unsafe on block with certain EX moves so be aware of that.

I haven't done any testing with the OS yet so I'm not sure what other normals or attack strings that it works with.
Check the other vids on my channel. Found a way to OS 2 specials on block/hit. Several vids with Sub Zero.
Edit: That's not related to the 123 enhanced one.

loogie

Noob
Check the other vids on my channel. Found a way to OS 2 specials on block/hit. Several vids with Sub Zero.
Edit: That's not related to the 123 enhanced one.
couldn't find your channel, can you share the link?
also are their notations in the vids on the OS without the 1+2+3 to see what exactly is happening.
thanks

Borss39

Noob
When the opponent is already frozen and you perform an ice clone input, Sub-zero jumps back, however no ice clone comes out. He calls it a whiff because the move itself doesn't hit the oppontent, it is just there for meter gain and spacing.
Thanks

Repulsar

Noob
Something that i noticed just now but maybe because i have limited experience with the grandmaster variation, this is already common knowledge...so forgive my noobisness :p

I did a string into ice clone like 1,2, clone and then i did a standing 3 behind the clone. If the 3 hits then the opponent gets frozen cause of the hit animation...just like a jump in 3 or 4.

I tried all of Sub's normals and only the standing 3 works.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that only works in the corner.

Alioune

Noob
thx
how exactly are you doing it? so after a f4 you input an ice blast and an ice clone command in sequence? or is it a df2b after the f4?
Yes, do both motions as fast as you can after f4 for the meterless one. For other strings its a bit different.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
I do NJP, jump 2, run 1, B12~slide
Thanks for the reply, TB. Since you're around I'd like to ask you why do you end the standard BnB with 1~F42~Slide instead of 123~Slide, since the last has more wallcarry and 1% more damage. Easier to connect the slide with your version of the BnB, I'm supposing?

LockM

Noob
Thanks for the reply, TB. Since you're around I'd like to ask you why do you end the standard BnB with 1~F42~Slide instead of 123~Slide, since the last has more wallcarry and 1% more damage. Easier to connect the slide with your version of the BnB, I'm supposing?
If they are hit by the Clone the damage total ends up at 17% with both combos
If they are hit with the Iceball the damage total ends up at 16% with both combos.

Both versions do the same damage, but 123 xx bf+4 does more wallcarry. If you do the 123 xx bf+4 string after Sub-Zero his 242 then some hits from might whiff if you are too fast, sometimes even the bf+4 might whiff. However from a frozen airborne opponent i've never really seen the bf+4 whiff during the 123 xx bf+4 or any hit of the actual string.

One advantage, and this is very situational, to using 1, f42 xx bf+4 is when closing in on the corner is that after the 1 you can do b33d+4 for the for the safe clone setup.

I like using 1, f42 xx bf+4 also because if i happen to miss the 1 after the run then i don't commit to a complete string and still have time to press offense on their wakeup anyway.

@the os nonsense, glad they are patching that out, have had enough of OS's during SF.

Last edited:
I was playing a Raiden that was bold enough to try to electric fly through ice clone and it worked. I went into practice mode and this is what I found.

This has been a bug for a while. I dont think anyone is sure why it happens which makes it hard to fix. It happens against every character.