What's new

Sub-Zero General Discussion

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Guys.. Sareena cameo FUCKS

Meterless launch off of B3 with B+kameo. Much safer than Frost raw dogging it into B3 x ice karpet, more consistent confirm and better damage than the Sonya B34 launch as well.

Can cancel first hit of B2 into B+kameo.

f12 easily confirms into it.

Tested against Shao Kahn ex knee reversal which may be the fastest armored reversal in the game and he of course can punish Sub when he does string into B+kameo, but the knives come back and hit him. And that’s assuming he’s mashing his reversal like a lunatic. It’s of course a high but I think it will fuck up a lot of punishes.

F+kameo is a good quick knife toss, decent check and doesn’t use as much of the kameo meter.

kameo is a meter drain, which is surprisingly quick acting.

D+kameo is some little flip kick thing, whatever, I’m sure it has some uses.

My kombos are shit right now and it’s easy mid 30s meter-less. If you’re spending bar or using multiple repetitions of B+kameo in the same combo, even better.

Ardet

Noob
So they nerfed his dmg? Its useless to do multi ex vapors now since two bars scale hard and gives you less dmg than one bar. Also his dive kick is nerfed aswell? Cant combo of jik-divekick sonya airpunch in corner after clone refreeze anymore as ender?

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8

Meterless launch off of B3 with B+kameo. Much safer than Frost raw dogging it into B3 x ice karpet, more consistent confirm and better damage than the Sonya B34 launch as well.

Tested against Shao Kahn ex knee reversal which may be the fastest armored reversal in the game and he of course can punish Sub when he does string into B+kameo, but the knives come back and hit him. And that’s assuming he’s mashing his reversal like a lunatic. It’s of course a high but I think it will fuck up a lot of punishes.

F+kameo is a good quick knife toss, decent check and doesn’t use as much of the kameo meter.

My kombos are shit right now and it’s easy mid 30s meter-less. If you’re spending bar or using multiple repetitions of B+kameo in the same combo, even better.
Imo Sub-Zero is one of the strongest characters in the game. He’s the best kept secret right now.

Something I love about him is that he’s not as meter dependent as other characters. Allowing you to hold two bars for breaker.

Sareena assist is going to go crazy in the corner where you can drain their meter while comboing them, keeping them in klone traps, and checking them with f1, bf2, ground freeze, and d3. Having a meter gap through out the match as Sub-Zero is big because it limits their armor usage.

The third video in this tweet is an example. https://x.com/theonidan/status/1702935067193151688?s=46&t=hSkiyIrskk7H7tDvqotbpg

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Imo Sub-Zero is one of the strongest characters in the game. He’s the best kept secret right now.

Something I love about him is that he’s not as meter dependent as other characters. Allowing you to hold two bars for breaker.

Sareena assist is going to go crazy in the corner where you can drain their meter while comboing them, keeping them in klone traps, and checking them with f1, bf2, ground freeze, and d3. Having a meter gap through out the match as Sub-Zero is big because it limits their armor usage.

The third video in this tweet is an example. https://x.com/theonidan/status/1702935067193151688?s=46&t=hSkiyIrskk7H7tDvqotbpg
Yes I always have meter, especially with Sareena.

I’m still trying to work out the corner game, I feel like I lose control more than I should. It’s day 3 but still

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Any of you guys using Sareena cameo, when are you activating meter drain in the corner?

I've been doing any time I combo into EX deadly vapors, connect B2, or freeze them with the ice klone on a cornered opponent. From here I do as small of a combo as I can hits wise so that they're not building meter as fast as they're losing it. Which combo are you guys using in this scenario?

Versa

Noob
So general consensus is Sareena is his best Kameo or is there still more to look into?

I was checking out Darrius too.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper

Is breaker not 3 bars in this game? When did that change?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
So general consensus is Sareena is his best Kameo or is there still more to look into?

I was checking out Darrius too.
I don’t know if they’re his best, but iv been switching between Sareena and Frost pretty often. I have yet to give all of them a fair shake.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.

the flip kick is an invincible safe on block wakeup

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Guys, what's the corner
the flip kick is an invincible safe on block wakeup
no shit??? Hell yeah

On a side note / general brain dump, I’ve been switching between her and Frost a lot still. The knife and combo potential isn’t the end all / be all but it certainly helps, and if I can tell someone won’t know how to punish it, I’ll abuse it like crazy.

I do prefer Frost for matchups like Liu Kang where they have a good / fast projectile. It’s the only way Sub can zone some characters, if they’re scared to eat the ice karpet from Frost. Although the Sub-Zero kameo fucks over the Frost kameo bad imo, so be aware of that.

Im interested in trying out the Sub kameo, obviously the ice armor is useful in allowing him to actually put ice balls of his own on the screen and sit on a life lead. The problem with that is though that Sub does such low damage relative to some that getting the life lead significant enough to turtle up is another thing. The combo extender is nice even if the damage scaling fucks you. The charge is pretty good too. I’m sure there’s some matchups where this would be useful.

I wish Kung Lao kameo had better combo potential for Sub because it’s really nice getting to block string into low hat, having a teleport is never a bad thing, etc. once again, I’m sure there’s some matchups where Lao would be good.

Still haven’t tried Stryker, Moraro, Darrius, Scorpion, and Goro but I’m definitely excited to. Kano is pretty good but not my preferred play style at all.

And finally, it seems people are already pretty good at reacting to B2. I can most of the time and I’m not that fast. I’ll almost never throw it out without having a breaker in my back pocket, or if I’m canceling into Sareena knives and they’ve demonstrated they won’t punish me for it. Week 2 and it’s already diminished in usability. Which is fine, I don’t think he needs an un-reactable 50/50, but Tom Brady’s video on the matter is spot on. However, if someone’s flustered, you’ll still crack them on the head with B2 sometimes if you’re not predictable about it.

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
How’s everyone liking sub zero in mk1? Didn’t see anyone really playing him during the pc EA, but wanted to possibly give him a shot

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
yep lol and down 1 but standing 3 is safe on block even when u do clone
That’s pretty exciting, we should make a list of all the wakeups that this works on. I can do that some time in the next week or so probably. The slide stuff is nice too but being able to meterlessly and not using cameo to stuff a wake up with no risk is awesome. Of course you could whiff S3 which wouldn’t be good but still.

Sage-Of-Light

Student of Nature
That’s pretty exciting, we should make a list of all the wakeups that this works on. I can do that some time in the next week or so probably. The slide stuff is nice too but being able to meterlessly and not using cameo to stuff a wake up with no risk is awesome. Of course you could whiff S3 which wouldn’t be good but still.
Trust bro yeah do that I will try update u aswell and standing 2 u can block against melina and smokes wak up teleport

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I agree with most of what is said in Tom Brady’s new video, at least I can’t speak on the other cast members but looking at Sub-Zero in a vacuum it makes sense. The klone nerfs were the hardest adjustment from the beta obviously. And his 3 bar combos should do more damage than this 1 bar. I’m still happy with the character but I’m mostly playing against lunatics on ranked. I’m not doom posting Sub-Zero, but Tom is very level headed and reasonable in this video.

so got mk1 since 1 day, sub feels so weak in this game compared to mk11 or is it just me?
been watching sikander's sub to learn sth, seems like he is struggling a lot

Moms4lif3

Bruh.
Ive tried Sub today for the first time since the beta, I definitely like him less atm ...
Ive noticed two things:

Something ive not seen mentioned, but im pretty sure is different in the beta -

His clone has like a timer before u can use it again??? When the first one disappears it seems like u have to wait for like 3-4 seconds until u can do another one - whats up with that??

and getting the j12 dicekick combo is super weird now, it connects in a really janky way, i tried it for a little bit and off of b2 b2 j12 db4 it kept whiffing and when i fucked around with the heights it seemed really specific to get it??

Idk, both of those things seem horrible now compared to beta sub, he was such a chad honestly