What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Sub-Zero General Discussion

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Hot take but I feel unbreakable is the best variation now. Also ice burst is like 0 on block with aura, not just pushback.
I knew that there were more than just the patch notes you guys were hiding there. Gotta lab to see what did you do to my boy.

Tanno

EX burst in all variations launches higher so midscreen you can run up and do b12 freeze. I guess that's compensation for having no armor lolol
Now that you revealed what you didn't mention in the notes, you gave my mind a whirl of new kombos to test out. xD

Tanno

@GGA pimpimjim ,

To be honest for my boy, he has some issues that need to be addressed.

1) When you Iceball the females (only them), and then you jump behind them and do the D2, the D2 doesn't connect at all. They have no hitboxes from their back. (universal)
2) The Ice Klone whiffs. Some that are in the corner combos, and some that you have incoming JIPs from Subby's opponent. (Grandmaster)
3) For some reason, with kombos, and even 1 meter, he doesn't get past the 43% damage. It's as if the damage was locked there. This is the reason he's the weakest of the other variations. (Unbreakable)
4) When Aura on Sub Zero ought to be protected by DOT and chip attacks. His Aura is like a living ice armor, like what the description said, yet he gets damaged. (Unbreakable)

That's all from me. I don't know if you already know these issues, but I would be happy if you could fix them. I hope you can fix the other characters' issues, too. :)

Take care. :)

Tanno

block cancel advantage has also increased for 123 so 123 ex aura is like +5 now i think
Gotta test it out. I use the B12xxAura, B12 in my combos. The after Aura links are very hard to connect and need strict timing.

I usually do 123xxIce Klone as a GM to protect my ass from my aggressive opponents.

@GGA pimpimjim ,

To be honest for my boy, he has some issues that need to be addressed.

1) When you Iceball the females (only them), and then you jump behind them and do the D2, the D2 doesn't connect at all. They have no hitboxes from their back. (universal)
2) The Ice Klone whiffs. Some that are in the corner combos, and some that you have incoming JIPs from Subby's opponent. (Grandmaster)
3) For some reason, with kombos, and even 1 meter, he doesn't get past the 43% damage. It's as if the damage was locked there. This is the reason he's the weakest of the other variations. (Unbreakable)
4) When Aura on Sub Zero ought to be protected by DOT and chip attacks. His Aura is like a living ice armor, like what the description said, yet he gets damaged. (Unbreakable)

That's all from me. I don't know if you already know these issues, but I would be happy if you could fix them. I hope you can fix the other characters' issues, too. :)

Take care. :)
Dude I really want to know about the klone whiffs, etc. I don't want mk3 klone, or klone stays on block, but just the whiffing klones are frustrating lol.

Tanno

Dude I really want to know about the klone whiffs, etc. I don't want mk3 klone, or klone stays on block, but just the whiffing klones are frustrating lol.
Just seeing the incoming JIPs when you stand up again from being down you tend to react very fast and do the Ice Klone to AA them. This point is where it whiffs. It's just 1 frame before being hit. This is what happened to me a lot.

Revenant Zero

Death Comes
Just seeing the incoming JIPs when you stand up again from being down you tend to react very fast and do the Ice Klone to AA them. This point is where it whiffs. It's just 1 frame before being hit. This is what happened to me a lot.
opt to back dash and then IK

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
Unfortunately that's because the enemy is in his proximity otherwise it would be braindead and broken.

So SubZero has one of the only ARMORED launchers left in the game. Aura + Icy Slide.

I don't understand why they don't list all the damn changes. It makes it harder to learn or accept whether or not the devs listened fixed many things.

Tanno

Unfortunately that's because the enemy is in his proximity otherwise it would be braindead and broken.

So SubZero has one of the only ARMORED launchers left in the game. Aura + Icy Slide.

I don't understand why they don't list all the damn changes. It makes it harder to learn or accept whether or not the devs listened fixed many things.
@GGA pimpimjim just took the trouble to tell us what they didn't note down in the official patch notes. The rest is up to us to figure out. So, please, spare them a bit.

Other characters got AA-ed when in proximity by Kotal and other chars, so why not Sub Zero? It's like I see a punch coming on me, and I have very fast reflexes to avoid it.

The armored launcher is only on Icy Slide.

Lokheit

Noob
block cancel advantage has also increased for 123 so 123 ex aura is like +5 now i think
Quick questions about things not mentioned in the patch notes:

- Does the EX Grab for Cryo have armor?
- Did his hammer lose its armor? Or gain extra armor?
- You mentioned that EX Bomb launches higher, is it like EX Hammer high or less? That would change the meterburn BnBs in favor of Bomb as EX hammer now deals 6 damage instead of 8 but the Bomb couldn't juggle as high before.

(Not related to Subbie but as you're here...):

Does Kenjutsu's rising sword launch higher too? It was always a very tight link for his only meterless combo extender.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
@GGA pimpimjim just took the trouble to tell us what they didn't note down in the official patch notes. The rest is up to us to figure out. So, please, spare them a bit.

Other characters got AA-ed when in proximity by Kotal and other chars, so why not Sub Zero? It's like I see a punch coming on me, and I have very fast reflexes to avoid it.

The armored launcher is only on Icy Slide.
That is no excuse when they know every detail of what was changed. We're at the point where we don't need little secrets to the keep the game alive anymore.

Kotal's move I think you're talking about is an ANTI AIR GRAB. If you changed it for Sub and are not careful it will make all his strings able to touching Klone AKA MK3/MK4. The only way you could do it is if it was jumping opponent specific. Honestly that's not even his biggest problems.

I know that's why I said any Aura + EX Slide.

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
Also want to point out, that many moves either losing its armor or getting extra armor, made Air Hammer even worse and more useless than it was already. It had no use and now the only positive (breaking armor) won't work on the main armored moves (and the ones that lost armor can be disrupted with any other attack anyway).

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
Also want to point out, that many moves either losing its armor or getting extra armor, made Air Hammer even worse and more useless than it was already. It had no use and now the only positive (breaking armor) won't work on the main armored moves (and the ones that lost armor can be disrupted with any other attack anyway).
They also didn't fix his useless normals or strings. S3,S4,114.

Last edited:
Yeah :( no more Ice clone reversals. Its still fast though, so it'll be useful.

The cryo thing is exactly like i said. f42 is still special cancelable so cancel it into the polar puncture.
will cryo still be able to cancel cold blooded (f42 + L1) into hammer and crushing hammer

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
will cryo still be able to cancel cold blooded (f42 + L1) into hammer and crushing hammer
Not exactly because f42 L1 became like the other variations.

BUT now you can cancel F42 into his new command grab and cancel the grab into Hammer. Basically what he used to do pre patch except it has one extra added input.

Lokheit

Noob
They also didn't fix his useless normals or strings. S3,S4,113.
At least maybe now S3 that jails into burst can be used for some chip at only -5 now, but yeah the kicks are pretty much useless compared with F4 that is a mid and jails even into iceball... maybe Cryo will be able to tickthrow from some of the standing kicks.

Not exactly because f42 L1 became like the other variations.

BUT now you can cancel F42 into his new command grab and cancel the grab into Hammer. Basically what he used to do pre patch except it has one extra added input.
And also the damage for both the grab and the hammer (plus the grab's damage scaling) are now worse as a compensation so the result isn't really the same.