What's new

Sub-Zero General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Good on you man!

Jesus dude these dont look anywhere near as fun as some of the Cryomancer 2n1 stuff or the Grandmaster corner stuff. Hell post patch unbreakable had some interesting aura cancels as well. All gone.

Just boring.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Yeah he feels pretty vanilla. But imma keep going with him see what happens. The daggers barrage move is like -20 but does 6% chip damage and completely bodies the last breath mechanic; it throws 5 daggers, first two eat the chip avoidance and last breath then the other 3 do like 3% chip so the opponent loses their defensive meter and die instantly lol.

Also on hit it does about 9% plus a bit of damage over time.

Lum@na

Noob
I am not playing tourny sub. I'll play my rising ice, diet clone variation and hope one of them gets added to a competitive variation in the future.

Imperium

Noob
Those bnbs are so uninspired, but idk where he can even get more creative. He just isn't going to be that great this time around.

Another shitty thing about kold shoulder replacing slide is he loses a key KB I think.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
We're pretty sure. Because when people got the game, they had Deep Freeze and Creeping Ice. Then the day 1 patch hit and it changed to this garbage.

I can't imagine a scenario where the patch that came out a week early was not the actual day 1 patch.
Something about the variations don't feel finished. Im fairly sure a day 1 patch will land on the 23rd.

Braindead

You can juggle off a raw slide in the corner. B32 slide is even easier. Other strings into slide doesn't allow for a juggle.

Lum@na

Noob
I am trying to estimate how much more damage shoulder would have to cause for me to be willing to give up slides utility. Maybe 50% more? Somewhere in the 30-50% range. A hefty damage buff would ease my mind I think.

Braindead

I am trying to estimate how much more damage shoulder would have to cause for me to be willing to give up slides utility. Maybe 50% more? Somewhere in the 30-50% range. A hefty damage buff would ease my mind I think.
Shoulder/amplified shoulder gives like 4% more damage than slide/amplified slide IIRC. I didn't play with that variation much.

Rebelo

Noob
as a long time subzero main this might be the worst verison of him so sad :( then again its only day 3 for me maybe somthing will change my mind but for now thats how i feel

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Initial impression:

I'm underwhelmed by sub and his variations. Pokes are bad and has only one mid that's quite useless. His low starter has a short range but safe so at least we have that.

The variation with the projectiles is ehhh. The daggers and the other projectile both have 36f start up... Can't even link from anything into them. Not on block nor hit. Air axe has a weird angle and hitbox. All 3 projectiles are like -20 on block too.
The other variation only has 2 special moves: ice ball and shoulder charge (replaces slide). Shoulder charge does big damage but you're sacrificing sliding under projectiles. Not safe either.

I get easy 30% bnbs midscreen without cold shoulder so that's nice. In the corner I can get like 32% meterless using the 124 KB.

He has 5 KBs: amp slide, 124, d2, back throw with a failed escape, and his overhead string which needs to be a punish/kounter (but it's a 19f starter...) And only does a dmg knockdown not a launcher...

I feel like I'm playing unbreakable again :( stiffled. But I'll keep trying him see if I can make him work.
So this pretty much what I figured looking at his frame data. So my question is now, does he have a safe way to end his any of his strings on block besides just doing normals and blocking after doing the string? For example in the past we would end our strings with clone, what in this game or these variations is the new block string speacial ender? There is so much back and fourth that I can’t discern if he is bad or even if he is just ok. From what I have personally seen his frame data looks awful start up and block wise. Now NRS has been known to put out wrong frame data in the their game before for so are his pokes and speacials really THAT bad on block like, are we really gonna eat a full combos for getting our D4 and D1 blocked. I also read some where were someone said that the iceccicle was safe then I read it’s unsafe. Which one is it. I apologize in advance if it seems like im
Bombarding you with stuff or if it seems like I’m coming off as mad. I’m just trying to make heads or tails of the character with what little information I have lol.

Last edited:

Imperium

Noob
Why are you guys pissing on him? Why is he boring?
He has an extremely limited moveset, both in variety and effectiveness. He has extremely bad variations compared to what could have been, he lost his best mid string which is now a high, his combos are pretty 1 dimensional...

Basically he's a character that has a 50/50 that can be combo'd out of, and because he has that they gutted virtually everything else about him.

He has an extremely limited moveset, both in variety and effectiveness. He has extremely bad variations compared to what could have been, he lost his best mid string which is now a high, his combos are pretty 1 dimensional...

Basically he's a character that has a 50/50 that can be combo'd out of, and because he has that they gutted virtually everything else about him.
I understand. I'll main him this time ( my favorite character of all time in fg), and looking at him my first impression is that he is cool and more ofensive, and way more related to mk 1 and 2 sub zero, which I like a lot.

I wouldn't be so preocupied if at this moment he is not competitive (time will tell), because the patches and updates are going to come and he will receive buffs if he needs.

Endeavor

@Braindead did you end up figuring out anything else about him or what specials we are supposed to end our block strings with.

Endeavor

You don't have to use any specials to end your strings. All of his strings are safe except the overhead one.
I just meant to create more space after his strings are blocked. Also then is some of the frame data wrong then cause I looking at his frame data strings like 2,1 b143, b14 are -8, -7, and -9. They are safe on block casue when I look see Liu Kang's frame data he has a 7 frame d1 and s1 so in theory he would be able to punish all of those strings if the data was correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.