What's new

Strategy Sub-Zero FAQ Thread

Seapeople

This one's for you
I need some general info . If some one could direct me to the correct threads that would be very helpful.

1. what are the special properties of each of his EX moves?

2. when some one gets knocked down they can:

• stand straight up
  • roll back
  • or do a get up attack
you can't tech right? Also, can you do an ex get up attack? Thanks

-Ex slide switches you & your opponents positions. It also has armor which means that it can go through a projectile or a physical hit from your opponent, but you still take damage from the attack. Ex slide is good for getting out of your opponent's pressure, switching positions to put your opponent against the wall, or ocassionally sliding your opponent into an ice clone. Not worth using in a combo unless it will kill them. This is generally the only ex move worth using.
-Ex clone keeps the ice clone out longer than usual, but if you get hit it will still disappear. Not worth using because it's usually a waste of meter.
-Ex freeze keeps your opponent frozen on the ground a lot longer than normal. Only useful at certain times in a few matchups like Reptile, Cyrax or Jade. It's usually just as easy or easier to make a trade with the regular freeze.
-Ex ice puddle goes full screen, but it's extremely slow. Ice puddle is bad.

When you get knocked down you can...
-Stand straight up.
-Hold down or down+block to stay grounded.
-Immediately press back to do a "tech roll" backward.
-Do a wakeup attack (the timing takes some practice). Sub Zero's only wakeups are the slide & ice clone, and you can use the enhanced versions. All wakeups are invincible for the first few frames, which means you won't take any damage during that time.
-You can also tech roll into a wakeup attack, but you will lose most of the wakeup's invincibility.

This thread shows a lot of important Sub Zero strategies, especially in the "Sub Zero 101" videos.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-subzero-tech-strat-video-thread.15857/
Here's a lot of combos that are good to learn:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/sub-zero-official-combo-bnb-punish-thread.15706/
Once you get more comfortable with the game, be sure to check out Sub's frame data:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/sub-zero-frame-data.13250/
And here's a thread that explains some other basic topics:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/mortal-kombat-basic-gameplay-faq.2410/

-Ex slide switches you & your opponents positions. It also has armor which means that it can go through a projectile or a physical hit from your opponent, but you still take damage from the attack. Ex slide is good for getting out of your opponent's pressure, switching positions to put your opponent against the wall, or ocassionally sliding your opponent into an ice clone. Not worth using in a combo unless it will kill them. This is generally the only ex move worth using.
-Ex clone keeps the ice clone out longer than usual, but if you get hit it will still disappear. Not worth using because it's usually a waste of meter.
-Ex freeze keeps your opponent frozen on the ground a lot longer than normal. Only useful at certain times in a few matchups like Reptile, Cyrax or Jade. It's usually just as easy or easier to make a trade with the regular freeze.
-Ex ice puddle goes full screen, but it's extremely slow. Ice puddle is bad.

When you get knocked down you can...
-Stand straight up.
-Hold down or down+block to stay grounded.
-Immediately press back to do a "tech roll" backward.
-Do a wakeup attack (the timing takes some practice). Sub Zero's only wakeups are the slide & ice clone, and you can use the enhanced versions. All wakeups are invincible for the first few frames, which means you won't take any damage during that time.
-You can also tech roll into a wakeup attack, but you will lose most of the wakeup's invincibility.

This thread shows a lot of important Sub Zero strategies, especially in the "Sub Zero 101" videos.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-subzero-tech-strat-video-thread.15857/
Here's a lot of combos that are good to learn:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/sub-zero-official-combo-bnb-punish-thread.15706/
Once you get more comfortable with the game, be sure to check out Sub's frame data:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/sub-zero-frame-data.13250/
And here's a thread that explains some other basic topics:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/mortal-kombat-basic-gameplay-faq.2410/

thanks for the info, I really appreciate it

ryublaze

Noob
Idk if this is the right topic but I'll just ask anyways...

What are your opinions on standing 2? Sometimes I like to mix it into my 2, 1 pressure. By the time my opponent can react to it I usually hit them with 2, 1 after it. I realize that it's negative on block but it's only -3 and no one expects it lol.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
I wouldn't go for that. If you stagger with 2 with the intention of following with 2,1 pressure... the opponent has 11 or 12 frames to interrupt you. So at the minimum, every character has a five-frame window to d3 you. You're a lot better off sticking with 2,1 and 2,2 staggers.

You can also stagger 1. For example, if you're a player that goes for the occasional JIP,1 into throw when you're sure they're gonna block... the throw and 2 can mutually benefit each other there. You can get them to respect the JIP,1 into throw and then when they see JIP,1 again, you could follow-up with a 2,1 or 2,2 hit-confirm. There's potential to open them up. It's situational, but it's something to make the opponent think just that much more which helps.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
What's the best punish for Raiden flying into a clone? I'm only doing 224 atm as the slide misses.
does the 1 of 212 not freeze?that's weird,it should.

otherwise i'd do b12 212 slide
1 1 212 slide

also add me for some casuals,i remember you deleting me a long time ago :mad:

ForeverALoan is the PSN

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
does the 1 of 212 not freeze?that's weird,it should.

otherwise i'd do b12 212 slide
1 1 212 slide

also add me for some casuals,i remember you deleting me a long time ago :mad:

ForeverALoan is the PSN
Cool ta. Can add you again sure. I don't really play on PSN anymore so had a friend list cull, don't take offence :)

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Raiden superman... Depends on where I am on the screen. Sometimes I want the wall carry so I just do 1 2,1,4 slide
But i'm pretty sure (b1),2 2,1,2 slide is probably the most damaging.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
About ex clone... I've only used it on purpose once. I was playing Pig Of The Hut and he was Mileena. I was about to die and put out an ex clone, pig waited and then jumped when he thought the ice clone should disappear and he got caught. I got a combo, then died anyway. lol He could have just throw a sai or rolled (it was in the air), but he jumped.

IDK, I think it's a waste of meter.

Seapeople

This one's for you
About ex clone... I've only used it on purpose once. I was playing Pig Of The Hut and he was Mileena. I was about to die and put out an ex clone, pig waited and then jumped when he thought the ice clone should disappear and he got caught. I got a combo, then died anyway. lol He could have just throw a sai or rolled (it was in the air), but he jumped.

IDK, I think it's a waste of meter.
I don't normally use ex clone either, but it could worth a try.
Theoretically, if you manage to not get hit for the clone's entire duration it could be a good use of meter. Especially when you need to hold the life lead.
And if the other player notices that you used ex clone, they might panic and try dumb stuff to hit you and get it off the screen.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
If I have someone in the corner and have X-ray... at the start of the round.... i'll 2,1,2 exClone then just walk up and full charge b2.
It is a HUGE gimmick... but I like this one for some reason. I dunno why.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Two question: 1.Is it better to do 2,1,4 after you do a JIP,2,2,iceball and not finish with Ice-Slide, just so you can recovery faster and keep the pressure.
2.Any advice on taking sub-zero to tournaments and doing good wit him???

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Two question: 1.Is it better to do 2,1,4 after you do a JIP,2,2,iceball and not finish with Ice-Slide, just so you can recovery faster and keep the pressure.
2.Any advice on taking sub-zero to tournaments and doing good wit him???
I'm not fully understanding the question. Is this JIP stuff on HIT? or if they block?

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
i mean if they block the JIP
if the block the jip and you do 22 freeze, you're gonna die lol. But if you jumpin with 214 on block you should end in clone typically(there are situational exceptions). I personally only use 214 in the corner against characters who can interrupt 212. That way the threat of HC'ing to freeze is there.

Sent from Cyberdyne Systems

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
lol yea I have a bad habit of doing that online instead of finishing it with a clone to make it safe