What's new

Strategy Sub-Zero FAQ Thread

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Oh, well that would make more since to do the 2,1,2 ice clone on blocked. Hey I got another question: Is there anyway I can use the Ground Freeze as part of my mixup or is it a useless tool since I don't see people using it offline and online matches
Ground freeze is useless as you can see it coming a mile away and you will eat a full combo for doing so. If you catch anyone with it, its because you got lucky.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Ok so RE: B121 stun...is it really that timing dependent? I'm dashing like a mofo to get to them during their transition animation but my buddy who plays rep and kit can either just jump out or ass out/fan lift/ex fan lift before I can do anything (throw or otherwise). Is it just bc its online and that screws you sometimes, or do those characters actually have a way out?...or my timing just blows and I have to lab it up (which is fair)

It's timing dependent, but not that strict. You just need practice. If timed correctly, it can only be stuffed by armored moves.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Oh, well that would make more since to do the 2,1,2 ice clone on blocked. Hey I got another question: Is there anyway I can use the Ground Freeze as part of my mixup or is it a useless tool since I don't see people using it offline and online matches
Well... you caaaaaan... but you'll be punished for it more often than not and it's only good about once every 10 matches. lol

I remember landing the following on @Wound cowboy's shang tsung and him laughing and being all... wtf was that!?

NJP B12 21 ice puddle. Problem is it will only catch them if they don't wake up, tech roll, or jump (which that in itself should tell you how good it is lmao). So basically if you expect them to just lay on the ground on stand up and then attack, it will land.

You're better off forgetting that DB3 even exists.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Hey guys, does anybody know after you do a throw if your opponent can do a wakeup on reaction to a deep jumpkick?

Dark_Rob

Noob
I remember landing the following on @Wound cowboy's shang tsung and him laughing and being all... wtf was that!?

NJP B12 21 ice puddle. Problem is it will only catch them if they don't wake up, tech roll, or jump (which that in itself should tell you how good it is lmao). So basically if you expect them to just lay on the ground on stand up and then attack, it will land.

LOL! I used to use that same setup on Scoot Magee and Hitoshura all the time, it would drive them nuts and id never tell them how to get out of it haha. Then Tom Brady ruined all my fun and told them how to get out of it. Now they always look for it so I never bother. As gimmicky as it is, that one isnt bad, especially if you use it later in a set that youve been completing the whole combo in most of the time. They are sitting there waiting for you to finish the whole B1,2,2,1,2,slide combo and then you just drop it and ground freeze. lol

Truthfully though against really good players you would never even catch them once with it. They're just watching to hard.

Not only would I like to forget DB3 even exists, I would like it actually removed from Subzero's moveset, like actually taken out of the game. It causes problems after a knockdown and I dash foward and try and pick them up off the groung with D3 and input bug city happens and I get a ground freeze instead. Facepalm moment.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
LOL! I used to use that same setup on Scoot Magee and Hitoshura all the time, it would drive them nuts and id never tell them how to get out of it haha. Then Tom Brady ruined all my fun and told them how to get out of it. Now they always look for it so I never bother. As gimmicky as it is, that one isnt bad, especially if you use it later in a set that youve been completing the whole combo in most of the time. They are sitting there waiting for you to finish the whole B1,2,2,1,2,slide combo and then you just drop it and ground freeze. lol

Truthfully though against really good players you would never even catch them once with it. They're just watching to hard.

Not only would I like to forget DB3 even exists, I would like it actually removed from Subzero's moveset, like actually taken out of the game. It causes problems after a knockdown and I dash foward and try and pick them up off the groung with D3 and input bug city happens and I get a ground freeze instead. Facepalm moment.
Haha, thank goodness I don't use D3 very much so that doesn't happen... but I do get it on the occasion where I input ice blast and they teleport at the same time or something and I get a ice puddle and get blown up.

I'd almost agree with taking it out... but nothing beats the "trolololol" feeling when you land it on someone! haha... or use it as your finisher.

xQUANTUMx

That shit happens to me with teleporters if I'm throwing ice ball (fuck you, raiden). Turns into ice puddle and I'm free for 40%...hate it

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Yeah, Ice Puddle is one of those moves that has no potential other than to fuck you up occasionally. It's like Cage's F2. I hope Ice Puddle is opted out in MK10. I would say keep it and improve it, but that might be hard to balance considering how Sub-Zero plays. A faster/safer, unblockable disabler along with the Ice Clone (especially in the corner) could make for some overpowered tactics.

His Ice Pillar or Ice Nugget moves could be cool and more useful replacements.

ChaosTheory

Ok so RE: B121 stun...is it really that timing dependent? I'm dashing like a mofo to get to them during their transition animation but my buddy who plays rep and kit can either just jump out or ass out/fan lift/ex fan lift before I can do anything (throw or otherwise). Is it just bc its online and that screws you sometimes, or do those characters actually have a way out?...or my timing just blows and I have to lab it up (which is fair)
A way you can test your timing in practice mode is to set the AI to auto-block and do your b1,2,1. When you dash up and go for your follow-up, you'll get one of three results:

-The first hit of your 2-string will whiff, which means you're swinging too soon.

-The entire string will hit the opponent, which means you're swinging too late.

-The AI will go into block-animation, which means you're timing it correctly. At this point, they can't poke, duck, jump, teleport, armor, or X-Ray because they'll just eat the full combo from the ground.

That's obviously gonna be tougher to time online depending on the latency.

Dark_Rob

Noob
I would LOVE ice nugget. Didnt he kind of go into a crouching animation when he did it? That would be perfect for ducking things like IAGB's and IAF's while dropping an unblockable iceberg on their heads lol

EDIT: Actually Ice nugget might be insane lol. Lock them in the corner with clone, drop iceberg, laugh at opponent.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Yeah, Ice Puddle is one of those moves that has no potential other than to fuck you up occasionally. It's like Cage's F2. I hope Ice Puddle is opted out in MK10. I would say keep it and improve it, but that might be hard to balance considering how Sub-Zero plays. A faster/safer, unblockable disabler along with the Ice Clone (especially in the corner) could make for some overpowered tactics.

Ice pillar for a launcher and to continue juggles mid combo... that would be sweet... if that's the move I think you're talking about.

ChaosTheory

rob... I wasn't even thinking about Ice Nugget like that. I didn't play that game much, but yeah, I think he crouched to one knee and fired a beam diagonally upward. And was that move unblockable? Shit. That'd be overkill, but they could easily make it blockable.

@Reed... You're thinking right. That's the move where he stands up straight, both hands overhead and fires a cloudy/icy pillar into the sky that comes up underneath the opponent. It was blockable and lifted the opponent off the ground so you had to use your weaker AA combo.

Both moves basically tracked/checked your opponents, like Smoke's Bomb in MK9. I can't think of any other Sub-Zero moves that could be brought back. You have the Shoulder Charge but we already have a Slide. And you have a Tombstone Teleport, but goddamn, MK doesn't need anymore teleports.

Dark_Rob

Noob
rob... I wasn't even thinking about Ice Nugget like that. I didn't play that game much, but yeah, I think he crouched to one knee and fired a beam diagonally upward. And was that move unblockable? Shit. That'd be overkill, but they could easily make it blockable.
Yea it was unblockable. It was fine in MKDC because Sub didnt have an ice clone in that game. If he had it in this game, DAYUMMM. The unblockable clone/nugget corner traps would be insane lol. They would have to make it blockable, but it would still be good as an anti zoning tool against the instant air projectile characters.

xQUANTUMx

A way you can test your timing in practice mode is to set the AI to auto-block and do your b1,2,1. When you dash up and go for your follow-up, you'll get one of three results:

-The first hit of your 2-string will whiff, which means you're swinging too soon.

-The entire string will hit the opponent, which means you're swinging too late.

-The AI will go into block-animation, which means you're timing it correctly. At this point, they can't poke, duck, jump, teleport, armor, or X-Ray because they'll just eat the full combo from the ground.

That's obviously gonna be tougher to time online depending on the latency.
ya, I did last night to see. Timing off line is fine. And online, its 75/25 if it works or not. I think it's just the bullshit netcode....

xQUANTUMx

Yea it was unblockable. It was fine in MKDC because Sub didnt have an ice clone in that game. If he had it in this game, DAYUMMM. The unblockable clone/nugget corner traps would be insane lol. They would have to make it blockable, but it would still be good as an anti zoning tool against the instant air projectile characters.
I trolled my friends so bad with that move.....I miss Sub from DC. He was like, you know, fast. (compared to now)

SHAOLIN

内部冲突

WOW lol what is the the point of him having that then. You know its bad when you can't even use it in a combo lmao

I need some general info . If some one could direct me to the correct threads that would be very helpful.

1. what are the special properties of each of his EX moves?

2. when some one gets knocked down they can:

• stand straight up
  • roll back
  • or do a get up attack
you can't tech right? Also, can you do an ex get up attack? Thanks