What's new

Strategy Sub-Zero FAQ Thread

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
I know this thread was made before but the original thread was never updated so I'm making a fresh one for up to date information. Post questions here you think a brand new Sub-Zero user would ask or even a brand new MK9 player would ask if they wanted to use SZ. I.e. What are Sub-Zero's best normals? What's Sub-Zero's best low poke? What can EX slide be used for? Etc. Feel free to answer any posted questions or even answer your own if you're putting a question you know the answer to. I want to make the Sub-Zero forum as informational as possible. Thanks guys!

Gamma

Plays too much Civ
How effective is D3? I normally use it when I want to force a downed opponent into crouch block.

D3's useful for being meaty i guess. It's also good if you want to get out of pressure and you absolutely need something fast, but for the most part d4 beats all pokes. I don't really like SZ's d1 because his crouching hitbox is high and his d1 is 7 frames, which makes it questionable as an anti-air. If anything, you're better off using D3.

SZ's d4 is by far one of the best pokes in the game. 8 fucking frames? Ridiculous. You can use this to beat out Mileena's d4. It's most likely +12 on hit, and 0 on block. I wouldn't use it too much as an anti-air though. Use D4 to add pressure and to escape pressure.

I also don't use D4 into clone very much. If anything, I do d4, wait, then ice clone. It's because the hitbox on d4 clone is so small. Hell, using D3 clone would make it even smaller. They way I see it, using D4, pause, clone is a great way to bait out something stupid.

D3's useful for being meaty i guess. It's also good if you want to get out of pressure and you absolutely need something fast, but for the most part d4 beats all pokes. I don't really like SZ's d1 because his crouching hitbox is high and his d1 is 7 frames, which makes it questionable as an anti-air. If anything, you're better off using D3.

SZ's d4 is by far one of the best pokes in the game. 8 fucking frames? Ridiculous. You can use this to beat out Mileena's d4. It's most likely +12 on hit, and 0 on block. I wouldn't use it too much as an anti-air though. Use D4 to add pressure and to escape pressure.

I also don't use D4 into clone very much. If anything, I do d4, wait, then ice clone. It's because the hitbox on d4 clone is so small. Hell, using D3 clone would make it even smaller. They way I see it, using D4, pause, clone is a great way to bait out something stupid.
D4 clone isn't a bad option, but should be used trying to keep the opponent in the corner. The distance the clone covers is large enough that they can't jump out.

Another random way I use D4 is to cover ground while dodging projectiles. Works wonders against Kitana and people with ia projectiles, just dash D4. Seems to poke most people out of trying to come in and pressure you while your doing it aswell.

what are good ways to pressure with sub other than d4 clone? ive heard 21 and 22 are solid but i play against kung lao mainly so maybe i fear the spin

what are good ways to pressure with sub other than d4 clone? ive heard 21 and 22 are solid but i play against kung lao mainly so maybe i fear the spin
21's neutral, so that's a great string to pressure with. 21 into d4, 21 into F4, 21 into 21, 21 into 22, 21 into grab, etc etc. You can also use 21 to bait out an armor move since some people will try to interrupt 212. 22 isn't that great. Sure it's alright to use once in a while, but you're at disadvantage on block, so be careful if you decide to use that string. B12 is also neutral on block, but B1 is high and it can be interrupted in between. All these strings can obviously be hit confirmed into a full combo.

There's also mixing it up by completing your strings. You can do 214 into 22, 214, pause, clone, etc. 212, 214 and 224 put you at disadvantage though, so it's pretty risky.

thank you. i know canceling with the clone can make it pretty safe but not entirely i guess. another quick question is how to stop a jump and instant dive kick happy kl? i put clones out and all but it doesnt always work very well are there any other ways?

thank you. i know canceling with the clone can make it pretty safe but not entirely i guess. another quick question is how to stop a jump and instant dive kick happy kl? i put clones out and all but it doesnt always work very well are there any other ways?
I accidentally liked your post, but i guess i can say i liked it cuz you thanked me lol.

Try and block high when you see Kung Lao in the air. It's hard because you're so conditioned to block low, but if you block high, there's no way for the dive kick to whiff. Also try to make your clones as high as possible. Time your DB2 input so you can get a clone with a high hitbox. Even then, if you choose to block low regardless, you can D4 when he lands.

Panque

Random foreign guy
How to properly pressure each kind of opponent in the corner? (zoner, rushdown....)

Not really something I have a problem with, but I think It's worth to have it in a FAQ thread (Since it's a vital part of Sub's game) and there might be some stuff that is new to me :)

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
I'll be updating the first post soon guys...just finished a SZ basic guide that all the char mods were asked to do and with today (at midnight) being COD day and all....work at Gamestop has been non stop preparation lol

Jim

Emperor of the Moon
Don't have time a long reply but one thing I try to do with Kitana in particular is to get an air iceclone out before she gets back up from a corner knockdown. Her teleport functions differently than all the others and the air ice clone really limits her options. Careful on the timing though, jumping against Kitana can be deadly.

Panque

Random foreign guy
Don't have time a long reply but one thing I try to do with Kitana in particular is to get an air iceclone out before she gets back up from a corner knockdown. Her teleport functions differently than all the others and the air ice clone really limits her options. Careful on the timing though, jumping against Kitana can be deadly.
Thank you, never tried that!

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I agree and disagree. I feel that you need to be patient and wait for your chance to punish but turtling would be a death sentence.
false. All you have to do is get the life lead and she has to come get you. Ice clone destroys all of her strings and approach. you can duck all of her projectiles... so yeah. You want to make Kitana make a mistake... d4 d4 ice clone sit. eventually the player will get antsy and make a mistake... or the timer will go out. It is the only way to make the matchup even.

What's the best way to punish her? I usually get d1 out of clones and find it tough to make distance when being rushed down with block strings and pokes. I've tried d4 but hers usually comes out faster.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
What's the best way to punish her? I usually get d1 out of clones and find it tough to make distance when being rushed down with block strings and pokes. I've tried d4 but hers usually comes out faster.
If you block a d1 from her... i'm pretty sure she is at disadvantage... enough that you can get off a d4. Thats how you punish her. Shit if you get off d4, d4~clone.. you can back off and make her try to come in again.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
One thing that i've been doing is when I catch someone with just the 1 part of 2,1 is dashing and pushing them further into the corner. It is very easy to react and it happens more often than I thought it would. I don't know how often it happens in high level... you guys (you know who you are) would have to clarify... but it is something to keep in mind.
I think the recovery on b1,2 is enough to put you at a disadvantage against fast attacks... someone please figure that out. Not that it should matter... because you can clone cancel it and be safe, regardless.