What's new

Mortal Kombat: Basic Gameplay FAQ

JJocelot

Don't give up!
Basic Gameplay Notations

Since people are pretty all over the place as far as notations go, here's a write-up of the general MK9 notations. Much of the notations are based on the ones used for the 2D MKs.

f = Forward
b = Back
d = Down
u = Up
FP = Front Punch
BP = Back Punch
FK = Front Kick
BK = Back Kick
BLK = Block
EX = EX/Enhanced Special
XR = X-Ray Attack
JP = Diagonal Jump Punch
JK = Diagonal Jump Kick
nJP = Neutral Jump Punch
nJK = Neutral Jump Kick
xx = Cancel
aa = Anti-Air

When it comes to writing out combos, here's the general guidelines.

-Specials are just notated with their respective names.
-When multiple buttons or a button and direction are pressed at the same time, a plus sign connects both inputs. (ex: d+FP)
-Strings are written out by separating the inputs with dash. (ex: FP-FP-FP, FK-d+FP-BP)
-Commas separate different attacks linked into each other (ex: b+BP, BP-FP, JK)

Here's an example of what a combo would be written as...let's take a basic Scorpion combo.

BP-FP xx Spear, nJP, b+BP, BP-FP xx Leg Takedown

Hope this makes writing up combos easier. :)
taken from here by THTB: http://shoryuken.com/f345/mortal-kombat-9-basic-gameplay-faq-268806/#post10420212

I've designed this thread just to get newcomers (like myself) to the game up to speed on Mk9.

Q: What are the controls for MK9?

A: The game works on a 5 button set up: Front Punch (FP), Back Punch (BP), Front Kick (FK), Back Kick (BK) and a Block. For Tag-Team Kombat, there is an additional Tag Button (T).

On a standard controller, there is also a Grab Button and a Flip Stance Button. Grab is done by hitting FP+FK, and Flip Stance is preformed by hitting BP+BK.

Q: What does Flip Stance mean?
A: Flip Stance will make your character turn towards the camera or away from it. It is unknown at this time what added benefits or disadvantages Flip Stance allows. (More information to come)

Q: What is that yellow bar below the characters?
A: That is the super bar, which is broken into three segments. Your meter is built in three ways:

- Dealing block (chip) damage.
- Using special moves (that hit or are blocked)
- Being hit by your opponent.

At the start of a round, each player starts with 1/3 of their gauge built. You can score an additional free segement by being first to land a clean hit on your opponent in the first round.

Q: How is meter used?
A: You can use your meter in three ways:

-With Enhanced Moves (which take 1/3)
-A Kombo Breaker (Which takes 2/3)
-An X Ray move (which takes all three segments).

Q: What is an "Enhanced" move?
A: An enhanced (EX) move is the simple act of preforming your character's Special move (for example, Sun Zero's Slide with :l:rBK), but in conjuction with the block button. :)l:rBK+BLK).

Q: What makes the Enhanced move worth the meter?
A: Enhanced moves, like their name implies, is an enhanced, suped- up version of that characters special move. The properties differ from character to character. For instance, Sub Zero's Enhanced Ice Ball becomes the Ice Beam, which stays active longer than the Ice Ball. Mileena's Enhanced Ball Roll will make her charge forward faster and leaves the enemy launched higher for more combos.

Q: What is a Kombo Breaker?
A: Kombo Breakers (or simply Breakers for short) are done by preforming :r+BLK when in hitstun (pretty much when you're in a big combo). They freeze the combo and knock back your opponent.

Q: What makes a Breaker worth the meter?
A: Simply put, a Breaker allows you an easy way out of a big combo or if you just need some breathing room. Be warned; your opponent can counter Breaker your breaker and allow them to move back into a favourable position.

Q: What is an X Ray move?
A: An X Ray move is preformed by hitting Flip Stance and Block at the same time.The most devestating attack you can preform on your opponent in combat. When your opponent is hit by an X Ray attack, the camera zooms in dramatically to show all the internal damage you've done; shattered bones, fractured skulls, crushed livers, punctured eye sockets.... all sorts of brutally brutal brutal things.

Every character has their own unique X Ray move that each function differently. Some character's X Ray's work as counter moves, others can be comboed into easily, some work as anti- airs. Experiment with your desired character to see how their X Ray works and find a way to use it in combat.

Q: How does Tag- Team work?
A: Tag Team is a unique 2v2 game mode. Hitting the Tag (T) button will instantly call in your other character.

You can also do a "Tag Assist" with :down :fwd +T. Doing so will cost 1/3 of your super meter, but calls in your other character to quickly preform a certain special move, then leave. Every character has their own unique tag attack.

Preforming :down :b +T will make your unused character swap in with your onscreen character with another special move, and stay on the field. For instance, if you preformed this with your partner character Johnny Cage, he would enter the battlefield using his EX Shadowkick. This technique also costs 1/3 of the super meter.

Q: How does blocking work?
A: Blocking, as mentioned earlier is preformed by holding the block (BLK) button. Simply hold the button to gaurd against high/mid attacks, and hit :down+BLK to defend against low attacks.

Note that even when blocking an attack, you'll take still take a fractal of the damage from that attack (chip damage). Knowing when to block and when to counter will key if you want to survive.

Q: How do Throws work?
A: Grabbing, as mentioned earlier, is done with FP+FK or the grab button if you've got one/prefer it. Hit Grab for a back throw that will usually send your opponent tumbling behind you, or hit :r+Grab to throw the opponent forward.

Some characters, like Scorpion, Kano or Jax can even grab in the air. Air grabs are preformed the same way as grounded grabs, but cannot be broken out of, and (depending on the character) can be comboed into. For instance, Scorpion can do jumping foward BK>Air Grab.

Q: How can I escape or counter Throws?
A: You can escape a regular throw by hitting FP during the beginning of your opponent's throw. To break a back throw, do the same but with BP. Be warned: Crouching can allow you to sucessfully evade your opponent's grapple, but if you block low you can still be thrown.

That's all I got off the top of my head, I will fill the FAQ up with more Q's and A's as the topic progresses.

hey i have a basic question: how do you choose alternate costumes? i unlocked a bunch from the krypt, but for the life of me i can't figure out how to select them from the character select screen. any help?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
hey i have a basic question: how do you choose alternate costumes? i unlocked a bunch from the krypt, but for the life of me i can't figure out how to select them from the character select screen. any help?
Yeah, I was puzzled too at first. After you unlock them, you have to go to "Nekropolis" and click on each character that you unlocked the alt for. Then when in select screen, press "Start" and you can choose which costume to wear.

KNX

Noob
What are the commands for your wakeup options? I understand you can back roll or do a wakeup attack, haven't been on training enough to find out how to pull them off though

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
What are the commands for your wakeup options? I understand you can back roll or do a wakeup attack, haven't been on training enough to find out how to pull them off though
I believe it's pressing back to do a roll. As for a wake up attack, you do the motion for your special move. So if I'm playing Nightwolf and I wanna do his shoulder tackle on wake up. I do :r:r:bp

Also, OTG means on the ground.

Sequel

Boob Titbot
OTG refers to On The Ground, as in being knocked down.
I thought the term OTG stood for OFF The Ground. Like when you preform Wesker's gun shot to pop them up off the ground. In MK9 Sub-Zero's b12 is OTG after a launcher, correct?

Dtoxz

Noob
what about zoning? i was watching two people in a video fight and the announcer said something about zoning being a strong point with smoke. Im guessing that means keeping the opponent where you want him? Or at bay? Thanks in advance said the scrub!

sebiel

Noob
Q: How can I escape or counter Throws?
A: You can escape a regular throw by hitting FP during the beginning of your opponent's throw. To break a back throw, do the same but with BP. Be warned: Crouching can allow you to sucessfully evade your opponent's grapple, but if you block low you can still be thrown.
Small correction: Back throws (default throw) is broken by FP or FK, and forward throws are broken by BP or BK.

Great information, thanks for this.

noob question, but:

people on these forums use numbers eg. f+1,2. i'm assuming that the numbers are short cuts for bk,fk and so on, but i cant find any place where they are explained (im new to fighting games)

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
noob question, but:

people on these forums use numbers eg. f+1,2. i'm assuming that the numbers are short cuts for bk,fk and so on, but i cant find any place where they are explained (im new to fighting games)
1=fp (square)
2=bp (triangle)
3=fk (x)
4=bk (o)

Everything is a little confusing the way people throw out a string a of numbers and directions, you will get used to it so don't wory.

ok more questions, as i'm assuming that this is the right place for noobs..

whats BnB?

and also, any tips for a guy who hasnt really played fighter games before?

is there a topic for noobs or a beginner's guide or something? i mean like a "getting started on mk9" or something?

tehm

Noob
A BnB is your "Bread & Butter". For almost any character you want to ask yourself before you ever play your first game with them even "If I connect with a (high, overhead, low, anti-air, etc...), what follows that maximizes my damage off of it?"

Going into practice mode and having these down before you start playing with a character means that, where previously, every time you connected with something like a 112 (that's a basic punch, punch, heavy punch combo. But really any combo could be used here) you took off 11% from your opponents health bar you'll now consistently get ~40% off of it... Often times, that alone is enough of a difference to determine a winner/loser.

Those reliable combos off of simple starters are your "Bread and Butters" that every person who plays your character (above a novice level) will be relying upon to do their work for them. After that, it's all about how you use the tools available to you.

So I know this thread hasn't had much action recently, but it seemed a very appropriate place to ask my extremely noobish question:

What exactly is canceling, how does it work, and how do you do it?

Everyone uses the term and the "xx" notation for it, and I get that it's supposed to shorten your recovery time after a move or kombo so you can string together longer chains, but I don't understand beyond that. Am I supposed to do a button input after my move or kombo input before the animation is finished, or do I do something after the animation, or am I not supposed to hit a button at all and just plow really fast into the next set of inputs? I just can't seem to figure it out, and no amount of googling will tell me how exactly to cancel. They all just say "okay, do a 112 and then cancel into your teleport" or something without explaining how to actually do that.

Sorry I'm dumb, but I just don't understand, haha.

@korn i believe any button besides block or hit backwards. This is why you also shouldn't mash your wake up special in case you roll back instead.

Am I supposed to do a button input after my move or kombo input before the animation is finished, or do I do something after the animation, or am I not supposed to hit a button at all and just plow really fast into the next set of inputs? I just can't seem to figure it out, and no amount of googling will tell me how exactly to cancel. They all just say "okay, do a 112 and then cancel into your teleport" or something without explaining how to actually do that.

Sorry I'm dumb, but I just don't understand, haha.
i'd say about 8/10 times you just "dial" in all the inputs with the same rhythm, or just really fast if you prefer, as if the combo list itself was listed with the extra inputs of the special

some strings you have to wait until in between the second to last hit and last hit because it might come out too early, as something completely different, or nothing. but you'll figure this out if you figure out how to do the ones all at once. worry about that later

Just pull up sub zero and press: Triangle Triangle Down Forward X (22xxdf3, 22xxice ball) for a really easy one that you can hit really fast

iam_ct

GodofShadows
@korn i believe any button besides block or hit backwards. This is why you also shouldn't mash your wake up special in case you roll back instead.

i'd say about 8/10 times you just "dial" in all the inputs with the same rhythm, or just really fast if you prefer, as if the combo list itself was listed with the extra inputs of the special

some strings you have to wait until in between the second to last hit and last hit because it might come out too early, as something completely different, or nothing. but you'll figure this out if you figure out how to do the ones all at once. worry about that later

Just pull up sub zero and press: Triangle Triangle Down Forward X (22xxdf3, 22xxice ball) for a really easy one that you can hit really fast
how do you cancel specials into combo ( and what i mean is show the start up animation then cancel into combo) or can you do it with only some characters?
i was watching a youtube match n i was seeing a stryker player cancel out his gun to a combo and i was wondering could noob do the same thing? p.s. i saw jax do it also and i play as him too and i was wondering how they do that?