What's new

Strategy Sub-Zero FAQ Thread

Ravox

Winter is Coming...
One thing that i've been doing is when I catch someone with just the 1 part of 2,1 is dashing and pushing them further into the corner. It is very easy to react and it happens more often than I thought it would. I don't know how often it happens in high level... you guys (you know who you are) would have to clarify... but it is something to keep in mind.
I think the recovery on b1,2 is enough to put you at a disadvantage against fast attacks... someone please figure that out. Not that it should matter... because you can clone cancel it and be safe, regardless.
I think b,1 2 is pretty safe. Maybe neutral on block.
Recover faster than 2, 2.

Anyone know frame data after

Blocked D4/B12?
Hey everyone. I am new to this forum. Ive been playing MK9 for a bit now, and I just want to clear up exactly what frame data, hit box, and anti-air are. I know frame data has something to do with the distance players are after a string/combo, and their abilitity to effectively attack afterward. what does having a 0 frame data or 7 frame data mean? what should you always want to look for.... and hit box also... i know it has something to do with how volnurable you will be after a certain move of getting hit. and i know anti-air has something to do with countering jumping opponents..... But most of all i would like to understand more about the frame data. Thank you.... this forum is pretty awesome. learning alot

and also I know how to dash, but should u ddash when ur using strings to add pressure.... like for sub, doing 22, 21, d4,d4, ice clone or something like that, should u dash before ever combo except d4, or will subzero be at the right distance to do all those combos to apply the pressure. thanks alot

Dark_Rob

Noob
Frames - The game runs at 60 frames per second(here after FPS) This means every second of real time 60 frames of animation occur.
There are 3 aspects to every move in the game regarding frames, startup, active and recovery frames. The startup frames are the number of frames it takes for a move to become active.(essentially how long it takes for the move to come out) The active frames are the amount of time the move is out.(essentially how long the move is capable of hitting your opponent or doing whatever else the move is intended to do). Recovery frames are exactly what they sound like. The amount of time after the move is no longer active until you are free to move,attack,block,whatever. Essentially how much time before you have control of your character again.

Your hitbox is your active collision. This is how the game registers hit detection. In MK9 all parts of all characters are always hot, meaning they can always be hit. However, not all characters have the same size hitbox, certain characters such as mileena and Sonya have small hit boxes and when crouching certain moves may whiff on them that wouldn't on larger characters such as Subzero or Freddy. Hitbox can also refer to the range on a given attack. Subzeros 2,2 string for instance has insane range on it. Its hitbox essentially covers Subzeros front, top and even a little behind his head.

Anti air is exactly what it sounds like. Any move that is reliable at knocking your opponent out of the air.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Hey I a d+4 on hit grants free 2,1 or 2,2 pressure. But on low hit box characters does this still work? Can someone like mileena d+4 you back after you hit a d+4 and try to move into 2,1 pressure?
*I realise you cant really pressure much with 2,1 against low hit box characters, but will the intial 2,1 even hit them after a hit d+4?
Thank you :)

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
low hit box characters can simply duck the incoming pressure after a d4.

So yes, if you hit a d4... they can simply duck block and the 2 will whiff.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
d4 into throw is underused imo. It's a solid mixup
Its under used... because everyone online fucking jumps like they don't' have a clue..... so normally d4 into throw gets eaten alive.
I do use this against players that know what they are doing. I agree with you!!!!

Seapeople

This one's for you
Haha yeahh good luck timing the b121 follow up online too. I actually don't play online at all anymore and it's the best decision I've ever made in mk9 :D

I don't think the opponent can even jump out of the throw after a close range d4. I'll have to double check that

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Haha yeahh good luck timing the b121 follow up online too. I actually don't play online at all anymore and it's the best decision I've ever made in mk9 :D

I don't think the opponent can even jump out of the throw after a close range d4. I'll have to double check that
I wish I could. I have one good high level player near me.. and we have casuals every now and then. But he doesn't play EVERYONE at a high level... and neither do I... so we only get so much experience lol.
Good for testing shit though... that is for sure!!

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
After B121 on low hitbox characters... you have to D4 D4 them, try to time the throw to catch them, or try for F4 freeze b/c 21 pressure doesn't work on them. =/

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Dayum, thanks for the quick responses guys
looks like im going to have to use d+4 into f+4 to mix it up or something lol
i still have a feeling mileena's d+4 will beat out the f+4 T.T
maybe i'll just d+4 into clone
FAR MILEENA IS A BITCH MATCH UP lol

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
After B121 on low hitbox characters... you have to D4 D4 them, try to time the throw to catch them, or try for F4 freeze b/c 21 pressure doesn't work on them. =/
That isn't true. after a b1,2,1 you can do whatever follow up you want. The hit stun creates a situation where, when timed correctly, will make the character's block transition a frame... so 2,1 will land on EVERYONE after this type of stun.

It also works if they block b1,2 and you follow with a 2,1. Since they have to block the "2" standing... they can't transition into crouch block immediately... allowing you to follow up with a 2,1. That is only if they continue blocking... they can obviously low poke out, but all characters can do this, regardless.

It is why I'm trying to use b1,2 on all of my jump ins... because it is more chip and meter for the same mixup follow. Plus.. it has an OH!!! lol.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
That isn't true. after a b1,2,1 you can do whatever follow up you want. The hit stun creates a situation where, when timed correctly, will make the character's block transition a frame... so 2,1 will land on EVERYONE after this type of stun.

It also works if they block b1,2 and you follow with a 2,1. Since they have to block the "2" standing... they can't transition into crouch block immediately... allowing you to follow up with a 2,1. That is only if they continue blocking... they can obviously low poke out, but all characters can do this, regardless.

It is why I'm trying to use b1,2 on all of my jump ins... because it is more chip and meter for the same mixup follow. Plus.. it has an OH!!! lol.
Then why does my 2... in 21 always seem to whiff on characters like JC and Mileena after a B121? :confused:

Maybe bad timing?

And yeah, I remember saying that if felt like B12 gives you a free follow up. So basically you just hit confirm it. If they block B12 follow with a 21, D4, crossover, throw. If they don't block continue the B12 adding the last 1 and then do your D4, 21, F4 freeze mix-ups. I gotcha.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Yeah the 21 after b121 is practically a just-frame to be done perfectly. If you want to practice it, hold up+forward with another controller while you try the followup.

If you hit confirm b12, you should go into a freeze, not b121 :p

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Yeah the 21 after b121 is practically a just-frame to be done perfectly. If you want to practice it, hold up+forward with another controller while you try the followup.

If you hit confirm b12, you should go into a freeze, not b121 :p
I just set the AI to jump ... it is the same timing. It isn't hard to do either. Once you get the feel... its second nature.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
So I decide to pick up SZ and i've been playing around with him a bit learning his starter combos and ice clone setups and traps, but there is just one problem that is stoping me from mastery sub : His ice clone don't come out every time i do it. When i get someone in a corner and begin to do a ice clone trap when i hit 2,1,2 ice clone or any other combination all he does is pop out backward like a frighting little girl.Someone tell me what i'm doing wrong :(

Dark_Rob

Noob
So I decide to pick up SZ and i've been playing around with him a bit learning his starter combos and ice clone setups and traps, but there is just one problem that is stoping me from mastery sub : His ice clone don't come out every time i do it. When i get someone in a corner and begin to do a ice clone trap when i hit 2,1,2 ice clone or any other combination all he does is pop out backward like a frighting little girl.Someone tell me what i'm doing wrong :(
On hit the last hit of 2,1,2 puts them airborne is the corner and turns them sideways. This makes it so they are to close to the clone when it comes out and the clone breaks due to proximity. Only use clone if 2,1,2 is blocked. If 2,1,2 hits cancel into ice blast instead.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Oh, well that would make more since to do the 2,1,2 ice clone on blocked. Hey I got another question: Is there anyway I can use the Ground Freeze as part of my mixup or is it a useless tool since I don't see people using it offline and online matches