What's new

Guide - Sub-Zero SUB-ZERO COMBO THREAD (Patch 8/31)

Lokheit

Noob
You say it like you never get hit with it! Wish I was on your level of godliness.

Anyway, jip B2 B33 is just a guessing game & damn near impossible to read no matter what you say.
Do you realize how hard it's to land a B2 without either being hit by something faster or being blocked or punished against someone that knows what he's doing?

If you really think Cryomancer is that powerful and his combos are so easy, then this forum will help you a lot as players that NEED to learn the game benefit a lot from testyourmight, so it's your lucky day.

Cryomancer aditionally is an online underperformer (meaning that he's worse online than he's supposed to be offline). Some characters are better online others are worse. Cryomancer has a punishing style. Something that online becomes much harder as you're losing precious frames because of the netcode and more stuff becomes safe, hurting Cryomancer a lot as he can't benefit from a good defense like he can offline.

Also most of his more damaging combos, depending on your connection must be replaced by less optimal stuff because even if offline they're easier, the frames you're losing online might result on a combo drop and you don't want to take risks.

His 50/50 is slow and unsafe (not to mention that it's inexistent agains males outside of the corner unless you're burning down your meter bar). If you're having problems against it, then you should be absolutely scared from characters with much faster strings that include safer overheads followed by lows.

Cryomancer was made better with the patch, but not as much as it looks like, he just can access his combos from more sources but he's still the meter hungry character that needs to be really careful and opt for a punish style rather than going all "YOLO" like some characters can as they benefit from the bad netcode.

If you're losing badly to "yolo" Cryos, it's fine, this is why this forum exist and you will learn with time. Soon you will realize how easy it's to deal with his tools and everything will be fine.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Do you realize how hard it's to land a B2 without either being hit by something faster or being blocked or punished against someone that knows what he's doing?

If you really think Cryomancer is that powerful and his combos are so easy, then this forum will help you a lot as players that NEED to learn the game benefit a lot from testyourmight, so it's your lucky day.

Cryomancer aditionally is an online underperformer (meaning that he's worse online than he's supposed to be offline). Some characters are better online others are worse. Cryomancer has a punishing style. Something that online becomes much harder as you're losing precious frames because of the netcode and more stuff becomes safe, hurting Cryomancer a lot as he can't benefit from a good defense like he can offline.

Also most of his more damaging combos, depending on your connection must be replaced by less optimal stuff because even if offline they're easier, the frames you're losing online might result on a combo drop and you don't want to take risks.

His 50/50 is slow and unsafe (not to mention that it's inexistent agains males outside of the corner unless you're burning down your meter bar). If you're having problems against it, then you should be absolutely scared from characters with much faster strings that include safer overheads followed by lows.

Cryomancer was made better with the patch, but not as much as it looks like, he just can access his combos from more sources but he's still the meter hungry character that needs to be really careful and opt for a punish style rather than going all "YOLO" like some characters can as they benefit from the bad netcode.

If you're losing badly to "yolo" Cryos, it's fine, this is why this forum exist and you will learn with time. Soon you will realize how easy it's to deal with his tools and everything will be fine.
I hate 50\50's fullstop, the reason I'm annoyed at Cryo's is that that combo is just to damn easy for the damage you get. I learnt all his highest combos within 5mins & that's just wrong. Anyway, I'm over it.

Cheers for the advice BTW, much appreciated fella.

Lokheit

Noob
I hate 50\50's fullstop, the reason I'm annoyed at Cryo's is that that combo is just to damn easy for the damage you get. I learnt all his highest combos within 5mins & that's just wrong. Anyway, I'm over it.

Cheers for the advice BTW, much appreciated fella.
Remember that a huge lot of characters (basically anyone not having run cancellable specials, and once you learn those with the first one, everyone) have easy high damage combos that you can learn in minutes. The important part is not knowing how to connect them, it's knowing which starter you want to use in each situation, if you can cancel into a special or you should stay safe, when to take risks, the distance and speed of each move so you can punish correctly, etc...

Knowing the combos is very easy, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

How to beat Cryo? Against Sub-Zero you should always block low (unless you're expecting a grab in which case you duck without blocking or you make sure to be at a safe distance from him instead of blocking in place waiting for his next move, judging by your picture I think you play Predator so this should be easy for you). His overheads (B2 and Hammer, plus the universal aerial attacks) can be seen from a mile away, his lows are faster so instead of predicting them you block low and release the down button when the OH comes. Of course sometimes it will connect but you will find yourself in advantage positions all the time.

If you knock them down block low, many Subbie players love to wake up with the slide and keep using it. Slide can be punished by literally anything so you should beat the crap out of anyone doing that.

If he's trying to low poke you spamming D3, if you block them and he tries a B2 you can even connect a move before he hits you or just block it and punish.

Cryo doesn't have the clone from GM, he just has a better (but slower than other characters) mixup and the ability to keep momentum, but if you read him he doesn't have tools to keep him safe from a punish.

Last edited:

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Remember that a huge lot of characters (basically anyone not having run cancellable specials, and once you learn those with the first one, everyone) have easy high damage combos that you can learn in minutes. The important part is not knowing how to connect them, it's knowing which starter you want to use in each situation, if you can cancel into a special or you should stay safe, when to take risks, the distance and speed of each move so you can punish correctly, etc...

Knowing the combos is very easy, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

How to beat Cryo? Against Sub-Zero you should always block low (unless you're expecting a grab in which case you duck without blocking or you make sure to be at a safe distance from him instead of blocking in place waiting for his next move, judging by your picture I think you play Predator so this should be easy for you). His overheads (B2 and Hammer, plus the universal aerial attacks) can be seen from a mile away, his lows are faster so instead of predicting them you block low and release the down button when the OH comes. Of course sometimes it will connect but you will find yourself in advantage positions all the time.

If you knock them down block low, many Subbie players love to wake up with the slide and keep using it. Slide can be punished by literally anything so you should beat the crap out of anyone doing that.

If he's trying to low poke you spamming D3, if you block them and he tries a B2 you can even connect a move before he hits you or just block it and punish.

Cryo doesn't have the clone from GM, he just has a better (but slower than other characters) mixup and the ability to keep momentum, but if you read him he doesn't have tools to keep him safe from a punish.
I play Reptile & my game plan is to make him use his breakers as much as possible, without EX he becomes a lot less annoying.

Getting to grips with it more each time I play.

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
You should add the following combos to the unbreakable section.
All of these are for when aura is active and nets the same damage as the ones you have listed for activating aura.
(Aura active)
B33~Frost bomb,rc f42~slide 27%
F4~frostbomb ,rc f42~slide 27%
F42~Frost bomb,rc f42~slide 28%
B12~Frost bomb, rc f42~slide 31%
F33~Frost bomb, rc f42-~slide 29%
11~Frost bomb, rc f42~slide 25%
12~Frost bomb, rc f42~slide 26%

Haven't started messing with the corner yet. These still are only netting 3% extra damage from the universal ones :/

Last edited:

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I might be a little late for this, but for those who struggle landing njp after 242 vs females in the corner, or just dislike inconsistent clone after f12, an alternative is
- starter, freeze, whiff clone, ji2, b2, 242, b33d4, clone - Better damage, safe and consistent clone.
I've updated the combo path

Samsara

Resident Cynic
You should add the following combos to the unbreakable section.
All of these are for when aura is active and nets the same damage as the ones you have listed for activating aura.
(Aura active)
B33~Frost bomb,rc f42~slide 27%
F4~frostbomb ,rc f42~slide 27%
F42~Frost bomb,rc f42~slide 28%
B12~Frost bomb, rc f42~slide 31%
F33~Frost bomb, rc f42-~slide 29%
11~Frost bomb, rc f42~slide 25%
12~Frost bomb, rc f42~slide 26%

Haven't started messing with the corner yet. These still are only netting 3% extra damage from the universal ones :/
I've edited these into the Unbreakable section

Antlergroin

Sub-Zero main - Tremor and Scorpion scrub.
Realised it a long time ago, hate all the characters that have them & any1 who uses them as well :)
So you basically hate every single character and anyone who plays the game? You just gotta accept that 50/50's is a big part of the game and take it from there.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
His overheads (B2 and Hammer, plus the universal aerial attacks) can be seen from a mile away, his lows are faster so instead of predicting them you block low and release the down button when the OH comes.
Wrong, B2 is unreactable. If you release down when you see it you get hit by it unless you're some kind of cyborg. Usually what happens is you guess and think it was a reaction, but it was not. If anyone still thinks it's reactable I invite you here: http://www.teyah.net/MilliaBlocker_v0.3.swf

Sub's 50/50 is guaranteed and unreactable, it's a pure guess after a j1.

Back on point, if there's someone on this planet who doesn't know this yet:
EX Burst can always be followed by run f42..etc into big damage. For people who are having trouble missing this, you must be careful not to run too fast after it. You have to delay your run, because if you run immediately f4 will whiff through the hitbox of the opponent for some reason. If you delay the run, f4 will pop them up right as they hit the ground, and it's guaranteed every time. Very easy to get it to stick after a few practices.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
So what are your reaction results then from the flash? This discussion is not new, there have been a lot of previous threads where everyone agreed it was not reactable. I'm not just talking out of my ass.

Lokheit

Noob
So what are your reaction results then from the flash? This discussion is not new, there have been a lot of previous threads where everyone agreed it was not reactable. I'm not just talking out of my ass.
To be honest I didn't even understand that minigame... which character I'm supposed to be and what's the block button?

I can tell you my results in MKX though and the move is way easier to block than most of the OH in the game. Maybe I'm just so used to Sub-Zero's animations that I can tell anything he would throw... but then, a lot of people is reacting to it or even throwing hits AFTER you start the B2 and still hit you in time...

I can give you that online is crappy and makes many moves harder to react than they really are offline, so it could be harder specially with a bad connection. The animation is sooooooo obvious though... I'm not saying 100% chance of blocking it of course, but very good chances specially compared to other OHs.

And once that move is blocked you're eating combo salad and paincakes.

Redux

Ex Phase
If I'm not mistaken are the universal combos generally more damaging than unbreakable specific ones? Well besides the B12 IAC one (which looks sick as hell) I believe this to be the case no?

Samsara

Resident Cynic
If I'm not mistaken are the universal combos generally more damaging than unbreakable specific ones? Well besides the B12 IAC one (which looks sick as hell) I believe this to be the case no?
The optimized Unbreakable combos are more or less the exact same as the universal combos as far as damage goes if not slightly better. His damage is awful and I haven't found ways to increase it with this variation. You're better off saving ex aura post knockdown or for block strings from F4 exclusively. Ill spend more time this weekend once I'm done with midterm exams. I'll update the OP as well.

Redux

Ex Phase
i feel like aura should do add more to the damage :( whether it's added damage on normals or at least more on frost bomb since it leaves after.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
didnt see this combo in the OP:
unbreakable 1 bar corner
b12, ice aura, b12, ex frost bomb, b2, d1, 1, 124, slide 40%
I actually want to thank you for bringing this to my attention, it has highlighted a fact that Sub-Zero's damage scaling is far too severe in this game. You do realize that if I do the B12 EX Burst raw without the b12 aura (assuming its already active) that the same combo does 39%?

Last edited: