What's new

Guide - Sub-Zero SUB-ZERO COMBO THREAD (Patch 8/31)

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Drilled the crap out of those Ice Aura Cancel combos last night, they're finally connecting! Both the B1,2xxIAC, 2,4,2 and the B1,2xxIAC,B1,2xxIceBall.
Glad that you made it out. The B12> IAC> B12 has a more tighter link and needs quite a practice.

The only problem I'm having now in Practice is with the 1,2,3 EX Slide it keeps going into an xray. Probably a Full Meter thing, still it's also a timing thing so I just gotta work on that more and I can get some decent damage with Unbreakable.
This happens if you press them very quickly. Try pressing them a bit slower? It never happens on me, because I input them in the order. If you press 123, and then wait half a sec to input the EX slide, it will work. If you press the R2 + X + O, it enables the X-Ray. I found out about it with Raiden Thunder God, which I'm training. Subby is a bit slow in inputs unlike the other characters that are way faster, like Mileena and Kung Lao.

The same thing happened with me with Raiden Thunder God, because I pressed too fast the inputs: 214> EX DB3, which resulted in X-Ray, so I had to time a bit later the EX DB3 to prevent it from happening.

With Grandmaster, as you mentioned I also noticed that 112 and F12 have more of a delay with the opponent getting up which is perfect for setting up another clone. So with a F33 ender, I'll Only do the F33 ender after a Shatter if I don't have to do another Shatter Combo to KO. Which I usually don't once I've put them into the corner and done an ice clone set up combo before a Shatter combo.
Those 112 and F12 are the Knock Down enders. I always use them, when I'm near the corner. Even Madzin and Tom Brady use them to give more time to create the Ice Klone. Use the F33 only if you're away from the corner and want to send your opponent at the corner. You, also, can F33> Ice Klone as a GM.

Good luck. ;)

Hey guys, my timing and execution has gotten much cleaner and consistent now where I'm doing most of Sub-Zero's Universals and Grandmaster's combos but I seem to be having problems with a Universal Combo.

It's after the opponent is Frozen in the corner where you do: 242 U2/1, UF2/1, F12. It's literally hit and miss. I keep trying to look for a visual cue (opponent near top of the health bar after 242...I don't know) or do the U2/1 as quick as I can after the 242 and it still misses half the time.

I've seen many people do this consistently online and in tournaments where I'm settling for just a 242 F12 but I'd prefer to get that extra 4-5%.

Is there something I'm missing visually or timing wise?
try hitting the U1/U2 at slightly less than the peak jump height

Tanno

Do you mean this kombo?

B12> Iceball> FJP> 242> NJP> FJP> F12

If yes, you need to learn how to time down the FJPs. This is the most important for every fighter. The higher the opponent is, the easier the FJP gets. Try this out. You just need to know its height to count how many FJPs to land in. With some training, you might get the double FJP. The Iceball is the reason it's getting hard to juggle higher. Instead try this combo:

FJP> 242> NJP> FJP> FJP> 1> 112

Tanno

Thanks for your tips Tanno, yeah I meant the Ice Ball in the corner set up. Ice Ball, 242, NJP, FJP, F12.

The NJP after the 242 has been a problem but I'll work on it tonight. Seems I've been doing the NJP too early and it needs to be a little lower rather than at peak. FJP after a NJP or into a combo is no problem though.
I see. During the 242 hold the U button. Subby will automatically jump right after his recovery. This will be your moment to do the NJP. Right after the NJP, do the same with the UF buttons to do the FJP. This is how it works. To do the fast FJP, you need to watch Subby when he jumps. Just after his jump press the 1 or 2 button to execute the FJP. It needs strict timing to make it able.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
With the 242 combo you can get 2x JIP.
With the B2, B2 combo you get 1x JIP.

I suggest using JI2 because it gives better frame advantage for the ender which is typically F12. 112 is mostly used to push them into the corner from midscreen instead of doing 123xxSlide.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
There is a better combo if you have Klone point blank and forward throw them.
They'll still be standing and you can tech roll, run, JI1, 242 etc.
The other combo I developed is tech roll, run point blank, IA2, B2, 242, 1, F12.

Not the exact combo but most of the inputs are there.

Tanno

I noticed this combo there.

Ice Klone (Frozen)> FJP> B2> B2> 242> 123> Slide.

I have done it in lab with Unbreakable. This combo is the hardest due of the 242 and 123 being the hardest links. Didn't think that it would be a universal combo there.

In Unbreakable with Aura on, I have done this combo:

FJP> B2> B2> 242> 123> EX Slide> SS> NJP> FJP> F12. 43%.

The SS means the Switch Sides.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
I noticed this combo there.

Ice Klone (Frozen)> FJP> B2> B2> 242> 123> Slide.

I have done it in lab with Unbreakable. This combo is the hardest due of the 242 and 123 being the hardest links. Didn't think that it would be a universal combo there.
Nothing about it is variation specific.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
So are there no Cryo players posting new optimal combos? This patch is pretty big and changes him a lot lol.

Lokheit

Noob
So are there no Cryo players posting new optimal combos? This patch is pretty big and changes him a lot lol.
I posted some on the other thread, didn't have much time when the patch came because I was preparing for a job interview, will bring you the most optimal stuff soon, I keep discovering stuff (I just learned that 111xxPP in the corner works fine for some bit more of damage and easier execution than B12xxPP).

So far it's looking like:

Midscreen After Freeze:

JIP F122, NJP, F122, B12xxPPxxHammer

Midscreen After Ex Hammer (from grab or string):

NJP, F122, B12xxPPxxHammer

(B2 is disappearing from a lot of his midscreen combos because F42 doesn't connect anymore into grab on crouch blocking opponents or gravity heavy combos like EX Hammer, mostly because the grab is 3 frames slower than the old version)

Corner BnB:

B2, B2, (1 or 2 pokes), 111xxPPxxHammer

Execution got much higher and the damage dropped dramatically in some cases, specially for 1 bar combos. I think most online warriors that used him will go to different characters.

Last edited:

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
We're probably going to need a comprehensive bnb guide for all three variations. Kind of like what Pan1cmode did for the Cassie forums back in th day.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I posted some on the other thread, didn't have much time when the patch came because I was preparing for a job interview, will bring you the most optimal stuff soon, I keep discovering stuff (I just learned that 111xxPP in the corner works fine for some bit more of damage and easier execution than B12xxPP).

So far it's looking like:

Midscreen After Freeze:

JIP F122, NJP, F122, B12xxPPxxHammer

Midscreen After Ex Hammer (from grab or string):

NJP, F122, B12xxPPxxHammer

(B2 is disappearing from a lot of his midscreen combos because F42 doesn't connect anymore into grab on crouch blocking opponents or gravity heavy combos like EX Hammer, mostly because the grab is 3 frames slower than the old version)

Corner BnB:

B2, B2, (1 or 2 pokes), 111xxPPxxHammer

Execution got much higher and the damage dropped dramatically in some cases, specially for 1 bar combos. I think most online warriors that used him will go to different characters.
These are great, thanks you! At least a few percent more than my BnB's.

We're probably going to need a comprehensive bnb guide for all three variations. Kind of like what Pan1cmode did for the Cassie forums back in th day.
Hopefull the OP of the future Sub Zero one finishes and actually updates them though...

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I will create a new combo thread but I will need help with Grandmaster as I don't play him much. I only know his basics I don't know optimized stuff.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
We'll figure that shit out in the coming weeks. I got FUCKED last night Bc I kept whiffing f12 during the corner juggle lol.
Haha I was trying Cryo combos and my old meterless BnBs were all like after an ice ball F122 F122 into more shit, and I'd keep dropping the second F122 juggle because its so fast now

Tanno

We'll figure that shit out in the coming weeks. I got FUCKED last night Bc I kept whiffing f12 during the corner juggle lol.
Maybe you didn't add one or two S1s to lower the juggle a bit so that the F12 connects. This is why we always go to the lab. ;)

xQUANTUMx

Maybe you didn't add one or two S1s to lower the juggle a bit so that the F12 connects. This is why we always go to the lab. ;)
Dude I got home late and just went for it with a buddy of mine, i was too excited. I added an extra jump punch in the juggle and it worked out fine just by the way.

Tanno

Dude I got home late and just went for it with a buddy of mine, i was too excited. I added an extra jump punch in the juggle and it worked out fine just by the way.
If you mean the double JIP, I already know this kombo. ;)

Try this one for me. I can't due of my bandaged thumb.

B12xxIceball, JIP, 242, NJP, JIP, JIPxx1, 1, 1, F12. (it should be around 31%). The 1s are fast enough to hit more dmg. ;)

Try this one, too:

JIK, D1, D1, 1, 1, B12xxIK, NJP, FJP, 1(if it connects), F12. (previously you could do 3 pokes. Now you can do 4 pokes!)

I want to test more things, but can't for the time being. :(

xQUANTUMx

I mean, I did it on the fly. I don't doubt that you didn't.

You should submit those to @Braindead since he's going to compile all the "optimized" stuff

Tanno

I'll be taking care of updating the Unbreakable guide over the next few weeks, so that one is covered. It's up to you all to do GM and Cryo though =)
When you finish the guide, let me do the other stuff. Once I get back in action, I'll help with the video. ;)

Tanno

Took the trouble to try the korner combo for Cryo. Due of the PP's inputs being difficult, I had to keep trying. Found a new combo that brings to 44%. Dunno if it's already known.

B2, B2, B12xxPPxxEX Hammer, B12xxPPxxEX Iceball, JIP, 123xxSlide. 44%

I wanted to try going this kombo:

B2, B2, B12xxPPxxEX Hammer, B12xxPPxxEX Iceball, JIP, B12xxPPxxEX Hammer, 123xxSlide

, but for some reason the third PP doesn't connect at all. Is this the limit of PP being used only two times?