What's new

Match-up Discussion Stryker Matchup Discussion Thread

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
I have yet to find a way to beat Sindel. She is a pain in the ass to fight especially a good zoning Sendel.
Yeah I just ran into one just now and she is a PITA. Im guess closing the gap to be in jumping distance would help, but that damn overhead wheel kick is another thing to keep watch for (sigh). Although we do have EN roll toss to go through fireball, it is still annoying because you are sending her back to zoning you again :-(

The thing with Sindel is you wanna keep her close to you at first. Stryker has better and faster pokes. When you manage to get in, frame trap her to death. End combos with resets or baton sweep (keep her close). And when you get a decent life lead, play keep away and just trade with grenades.

It's still possible to outzone her but it requires great execution, reaction and good reads.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot
The thing with Sindel is you wanna keep her close to you at first. Stryker has better and faster pokes. When you manage to get in, frame trap her to death. End combos with resets or baton sweep (keep her close). And when you get a decent life lead, play keep away and just trade with grenades.

It's still possible to outzone her but it requires great execution, reaction and good reads.
Don't jump right infront of the anti-air of a good sindel, cross them up if your jumping on her that scream is easy to blast. Also when rushing her down if she has her X-Ray remember its a fast low and that you can always ex-roll through her low projectile too gain advantage. On knockdown with dash blocks you can always cross her up anywhere on the screen. Even max screen if shes in the air and you land a wake up ex-grenade you can dash block in for a crossup always (I play it by ear, if I'm behind than I'll be playing up close but if I have vitality too lose than I will look too trade/out-zone her).

Just a few things I wanna say after loads of matches:

1. Kabal isn't that bad of Stryker. I used to think it was 3-7 but that was only because I didn't know the matchup well enough. Stryker can actually outzone Kabal believe it or not. Stryker can play some mind games with him full screen that will force him to throw EN nomad dash or ground saws, both of which are very unsafe and can be punished by full combos. Stryker can roll to close distance and even catch ia gas blasts and he can punish whiffed ground saws hard.

2. Reptile and Mileena are tough to rate because online they are almost unbeatable because of BS lag strats. They're obviously bad matches for Stryker but I don't think they're as bad as they seem.

3. Sub-Zero, Kenshi, Sektor, Jade, Sindel, Liu Kang and Smoke are definitely 5-5.

4. CSZ is 4-6. I clearly underestimated this character.

5. Stryker definitely has a lot of very good tech vs Sonya and Johnny Cage. I'm gonna say it's 6-4 Stryker because Baraka and Jax cause me more problems than those two. And Baraka and Jax feel 5-5 to me so...

6. Kitana is 5-5. I thought it was 6-4 Stryker but after playing Angry Worm I realized full screen is kind of in Kitana's advantage. Roll toss doesn't reach Kitana and if she does iaFan, she recovers quickly enough to crouch block grenades. Mid-screen to far away I do think Stryker has a considerable advantage. And up close it can go either way tbh.

7. Cyblax and Kung Lao are the worst matchups right now imo.

Sheeva, Skarlet, Rain and Freddy are still a mystery to me. I rarely bump into good players using those characters.

It's guaranteed but online is lol. Roll Toss avoids them.

I think Stryker is definitely tourney viable. He has a few bad matchups but 90% of his MUs are 5-5 or very close to it. And he doesn't have any unwinnable MUs like some other characters. I think eventually people will realize how important footsies are in this game. And Stryker has some pretty godlike ones. Baraka too.

Just had a set with WoundCowboy.. I didn't realize how difficult Shang Tsung could be for Stryker. That matchup isn't anywhere in Stryker's favor I'm afraid lol. Or maybe I'm just really a bad player and lack experience vs top Shangs. Either way, after that set I'm pretty convinced Shang has an advantage over Stryker.

While we played I did find some weaknesses to Shang Tsung that we can exploit though. But that match is all about making good reads and Shang seems to build meter a lot faster than Stryker.

I really need to hit the lab vs Shang..

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Yeah Shang can definitely be a problem once you let him in. I still think the matchup is in stryker's favor simple because he has the best moves to keep him out and counter zone. I'm curious to know why do you think it is not in stryker's favor?

I'm curious to know why do you think it is not in stryker's favor?
I always thought Stryker vs Shang was like 7-3 because I never had problems with any shang ever. In fact I always won pretty convincingly except 1 time vs TrapCity. But truth is most Shang Tsung players just don't know how to zone properly.

Shang Tsung can keep up with Stryker zoning wise and Roll Toss is easily baitable. Shang just needs to stay crouched full screen and block grenades then throw some random ground skulls. He can wait all day until you space yourself wrong and get caught by 1 skull. I don't really know how to explain it but it's a really uncomfortable feeling to zone Shang Tsung. You constantly need to be on the move. If you block too much he builds insane meter and will always have a breaker. You have to play with gun cancels and dash/backdash to try and fool Shang into throwing a bad skull then punish with gun shot or roll. But it's really not that easy to dash in and roll toss on a good Shang player. They can just throw out some random close ground skull and you're in the air eating 35% unbreakable damage. And everytime he's in you're stuck in his frame traps and he builds meter crazy fast. So no matter what, I feel it's always an uphill battle. Because even if I eventually make a good read and start a combo on Shang, he can just breaker. But I can't break his combos. Also, EN soul steal has almost full screen reach so he can easily catch us while we're taking our gun out.

That said, WoundCowboy and DetroitBallin are on another level tbh. Those guys are true tournament players. I'm just decent high level I guess. So it also wouldn't be fair to say it's 3-7 just because I lack experience on the MU and because WoundCowboy is just better than me. Two same skilled players might be a different story.

EDIT: I was only able to record 2 matches of our set. I'll try and upload them later or tommorow.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Don't be hard on yourself Vulcan; you are still getting use to the matchup. From my perspective (Shang), the matchup is even or slightly in Shang's favor. The reason being is that I don't feel like Stryker has anything that scares me. If I make a bad read on a skull, the worst case scenario is that I eat either a gunshot or a roll, whereas the worst case scenario for Stryker is eating a full unbreakable combo. Strker does have armor to get out of the frame traps, and although both are safe, they still put Stryker at negative frames on block. This is enough for me to restart my traps. Add that to the range on Shang's SS (and the damage boost) and the fact that Stryker does pretty weak damage means that Stryker has a tough fight.

TsungSupreme said:
Don't be hard on yourself Vulcan; you are still getting use to the matchup. From my perspective (Shang), the matchup is even or slightly in Shang's favor. The reason being is that I don't feel like Stryker has anything that scares me. If I make a bad read on a skull, the worst case scenario is that I eat either a gunshot or a roll, whereas the worst case scenario for Stryker is eating a full unbreakable combo. Strker does have armor to get out of the frame traps, and although both are safe, they still put Stryker at negative frames on block. This is enough for me to restart my traps. Add that to the range on Shang's SS (and the damage boost) and the fact that Stryker does pretty weak damage means that Stryker has a tough fight.
True.

TsungSupreme said:
If I make a bad read on a skull, the worst case scenario is that I eat either a gunshot or a roll
Actually, on a good read Stryker can JK xx dash xx 4 xx Roll Toss for 24% damage. Or JK xx dash xx 1 xx EN gun shot, dash xx uppercut for 27%. :)

edit: and on a good read on EN skull or far skull Stryker can gun xx JP combo for like 39% or around 25% into reset.

But I would basically need to make like 2-3 good reads like that every round. And finish Shang with gun shots, grenades and EN rolls. Definitely not an easy task like you said.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
That is correct. I was referencing the full to mid screen zoning battle. Lol, I noticed you tried to D+1 after a jump kick a few times. Can Stryker still get a combo if he jump kicks me while I am crouching? I know Shang cannot really get much off of jump kicking a crouching opponent.

Lol, I noticed you tried to D+1 after a jump kick a few times. Can Stryker still get a combo if he jump kicks me while I am crouching?
Yeah but negative edge always fucks me up.

Stryker can JK xx D1 xx Roll Toss / Baton Sweep for 20% damage. But I often miss the roll toss. Sometimes a random low grenade will come out instead because of negative edge and sometimes it's the stupid input drop bug. Using D4 instead of D1 solves the negative edge problem and deals more damage but it's more strict to get the timing.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Thanks V. and TsungSupreme for the replies. I've been caught on the crazy frame trap and quite frankly it's annoying. I do noticed that EN SS got ridiculous range smh. But I cant help shake the feeling that the match up is still in stryker's favor even if it's by a tiny bit. I still think we should focus on being a counter zoner than being an actual zoner. Gunshot is fast enough to interrupt skulls and we should always keep in mind when we lose zoning advantage (something I still need to keep in mind). I'll definitely try to get a session against a good shang.

Funfacts:

1. After a throw or a Roll Toss, Stryker is just outside Jax's EN Dash Punch reach. Which means we can take your gun out relatively safely.

2. After a Baton Sweep on Noob Saibot, if you dash xx Low Grenade it will: beat shadow slide, trade with shadow tackle, beat EN teleport and make upknee whiff.

3. If you whiff B3 at jump-sweep distance it will make you avoid Noob Saibot's upknee, and the overhead follow up will launch Noob.

4. Sweep can avoid Kano's Up Ball and Johnny Cage's EN Shadow Kick.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
for number 2. do you mean dash back or forward? I am assuming dash back. Thanks for the tips. I think "Funfacts" will be a great idea for a thread :)

Carefoot

Funfacts:

1. After a throw or a Roll Toss, Stryker is just outside Jax's EN Dash Punch reach. Which means we can take your gun out relatively safely.

2. After a Baton Sweep on Noob Saibot, if you dash xx Low Grenade it will: beat shadow slide, trade with shadow tackle, beat EN teleport and make upknee whiff.

3. If you whiff B3 at jump-sweep distance it will make you avoid Noob Saibot's upknee, and the overhead follow up will launch Noob.

4. Sweep can avoid Kano's Up Ball and Johnny Cage's EN Shadow Kick.
Sweep can avoid Kanos X-Ray as well you'll need to be in active frames.

It will also duck most projectiles (high) and at the same time vs ambigious teleports it will duck under throws and highs.

Its also the 2nd best sweep in the game next too smokes extra long one but its the same frames 17.

JJocelot

Don't give up!
Anyone else find the Reptile matchup frustrating? The guy's command dash laughs at Stryker's attemp at zoning. I think your only hope is baiting out slow acid orbs with Roll Toss. Even that, at best is finicky.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Anyone else find the Reptile matchup frustrating? The guy's command dash laughs at Stryker's attemp at zoning. I think your only hope is baiting out slow acid orbs with Roll Toss. Even that, at best is finicky.
Please dont get me started on that matchup. At least you find it frustrating... I on the other hand find it impossible. that's my 10-0 match up right there. I freaking hate this match up. I can barely punish slide, elbow dash is broken, and reptile is broken. The computer did something the other day that made me hate the character even more. I was trying Marcus suggestion by using NJP to counter the dash, the stupid computer dashed under while I was in the air and did a freaking Xray before I could even come down. I mean WTH is that :mad: I dont really care about ppl asking for the block animation (although I still wish it was as punishable as KL spin), I seriously think this move needs at least a good cool down on whiff. a move that fast with priority over anything should have never been that safe and spammable. I mean C'mon standing 3 cant even stuff that crap. anyway, sorry about the rant and im pretty sure it's getting old at this point :( ... I just wished my frustration was getting old as well

JJocelot

Don't give up!
Please dont get me started on that matchup. At least you find it frustrating... I on the other hand find it impossible. that's my 10-0 match up right there. I freaking hate this match up. I can barely punish slide, elbow dash is broken, and reptile is broken. The computer did something the other day that made me hate the character even more. I was trying Marcus suggestion by using NJP to counter the dash, the stupid computer dashed under while I was in the air and did a freaking Xray before I could even come down. I mean WTH is that :mad: I dont really care about ppl asking for the block animation (although I still wish it was as punishable as KL spin), I seriously think this move needs at least a good cool down on whiff. a move that fast with priority over anything should have never been that safe and spammable. I mean C'mon standing 3 cant even stuff that crap. anyway, sorry about the rant and im pretty sure it's getting old at this point :( ... I just wished my frustration was getting old as well

Lol, it's okay bro. It's only fair that you'd want to vent. I'm not the greatest player ever, but I have never felt so... helpless in a match before.

UGH and I never even knew about the NJP thing. Now I'm even more sad, lol. Definitely need some more matchup exp...

Carefoot

You can ex-roll through the reptile upballs as well as jump over the slow one too gain advantage. Too punish the dash you need to make a read hes in range so block for the minimum frames (you should release block premptively too input the punish).

Crossing up reptile at the appropriate range is crucial. Me losing too reptile is usually me dropping combos.

I wanted to create a thread to discuss and analyze certain matchups that a lot of people feel like are "bad matchups" for Stryker. These are the main MUs I want to cover and talk about:

Some characters that are supposed to "counter-zone" us:

-Mileena
-Smoke
-Jade
-Nightwolf
-Sektor

Some characters that are supposed to "out-zone" us:

-Noob Saibot
-Liu Kang
-Sindel
-Ermac
-Kenshi
-Sub-Zero

Some characters that are supposed to be "S+ tier" and be "omg so freaking unbeatable for Stryker":

-Cyrax
-Raiden
-Kabal

Out of all those I listed, I honestly feel like the only true 4-6 matchups are: Kabal, Raiden and maybe Mileena. And I want to explain why in this thread*. And this is not just theory / on paper BS. I have a lot of matchup experience against those characters so I'm not just talking and assuming things.

Characters I didn't list on purpose: Reptile and Freddy. Because those really are bad matchups for Stryker and we should definitely be scared of them. :p

I'm convinced of one thing though: Stryker does well vs rushdown and counter-zoning characters. And he can still keep up with some characters that are supposed to outzone him (especially if he has meter). That results in a character that has no unwinnable (3-7) matchups and a lot more 6-4s and 5-5s than 4-6s MUs.

*EDIT: The "WHYs" and explanations/matchup breakdowns are going to be in future posts. Ideally with videos illustrating what I mean.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
if you ever get on psn or go to a offline tourney id love to play sindel vs stryker.. i cant see him being able to out zone her..