What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
They actually fixed survival and made it fun to play!
lul i already beat up to extreme survival with cody, get on my level

Yea Cody really fun to play. I like the pipe trigger though.
ya the scrubs choice of trigger i get it bro.
do you want to know why i use the knife? pipes are too...quick. you cant savor all the little emotions. you see, in their last moments people show you who they really are.

lol alex valle on twitter

This is what viewers say whenever I try out a new DLC char.
V: What's the verdict? Me: I just started...
V: Well, is he top tier? Me: Give me 2-3 weeks?
V: Does he suck? You can tell us! Me: I don't know yet
V: So what are your thoughts on Cody?
Me: (ignores chat and plays)

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Yea Cody really fun to play. I like the pipe trigger though.

Yeah vt1 feels kinda underwhelming. I guess it's a pressure thing? Both mps become like +4 with better range - though stmp at least seems slower. Maybe crmp too? knife swipe special is +3 iirc, haven't messed with knife throw much.. it's interesting stuff, but vt2 really feels stronger.

Vt2 has command grab loop/"vortex", the command grab by itself is a big deal, some decent pipe normals, and his rocks.

I have high hopes for those rocks. Hoping that we can find some interesting stuff with them. There has been some shit found already ofc, but it feels like there's more creative potential there.

For whatever it's worth, I am maining Cody now and intend to try and play on a regular basis again. V has to contend with GG though so we'll see. I picked up BBTag too, but aside from dorking around, I only grabbed it to understand it better, and because I got it half off lol.

EntropicByDesign

Id be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on Cody so far.

Any thoughts, from design to gameplay to gameplan to strength thoughts and predictions.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Cody’s so fucking sick. The level of homage to the Final Fight games in all the little details of this character alone should make him incredible to anyone who grew up on them. I mean ffs you can even jab the knife he throws at you to stop it; that’s just godlike.

He’s always just been the swaggiest motherfucker in general too, all nonchalantly hyper-violent n shit. It’s really just satisfying to stab people and crack them in the head with a pipe in this game. The mayor who dgaf plot line is kinda icing on the cake too, what’s not to love about him beating Abigail’s ass over a parking violation to make the streets safe again lul.

In terms of actual gameplay I don’t think he’s going to be very good at all but idgaf.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I think Cody is hella fun to play. Of all the DLC this season, definitely the most enjoyable and doesn't seem boring. Sakura was ok but she felt clunky and stiff to me compared to her what she was in the older games.

I still think Falke is the worst character and most boring character of this season DLC. I never liked Blanka,

EntropicByDesign

Ok fuck it. I might type up a long form review of Cody.

My concise opinion/thoughts are as follows:

He's aesthetically well designed. Quite well actually, though not perfect, and he falls shy of what I'd call excellent. All in all though, great job to Capcom. Lots of nice little animation and detail touches. They captured his street-brawler persona and style well all around. Except st.lk.. st.lk looks stupid.

Gameplay-wise he's also very well designed. His kit makes sense and seems to work together well. He has some solid options at various ranges and he moves well. I think his kit will support some creativity in how you can play him. His VTs both being 2bar, install style triggers I like quite a lot, as they add some really fun layers to Cody, and both being 2bar means you get into them earlier and more reliably, and thus get to use them to greater effect. He's an easy character to step in to, mostly very easy to play, but with a skill ceiling higher than it might seem at first. Zonk takes skill and work to learn to use properly (assuming it's worth using. Jury still out) and Cody gets a LOT out of 1hit confirms, really emphasizing your ability to confirm correctly at range. Cody heavily rewards screen-generalship (to steal and adapt a boxing term) and precise spacing as well. Lots to do when new, lots to grow in to.

Tier-wise, it's super hard to know. I really really don't see how he's outright bad, but is he tournament viable? No clue. I hope so, but I worry that he might fall into the "he's good, but such and such just does it better" trap. Tournament viability only matters to me because I want to see characters I like in tournament kicking ass. On the whole though, I'm reasonably confident in saying he is, at worst, a solid character that will take you as far in ranked and online play as you want to go and have the skill to achieve.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
here’s what cody would need to be competitive in this meta:

way better walkspeed
zonk to have throw or projectile inv
ex zonk to have less pushback ob
fix his jab tc whiff issue

that should be enough. outside of vtrigger 2 he’s not really doing sfv toptier stuff. there’s nothing you can say he does better than any other character, but neither did guile in s1 plus he’s my style so i’ll stick with it til s4

Last edited:

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
here’s what cody would need to be competitive in this meta:

way better walkspeed
zonk to have throw or projectile inv
ex zonk to have less pushback ob
fix his jab tc whiff issue

that should be enough. outside of vtrigger 2 he’s not really doing sfv toptier stuff. there’s nothing you can say he does better than any other character, but neither did guile in s1 plus he’s my style so i’ll stick with it til s4
I agree completely, which is cool for me bc you’re actually good at this game lol.

Would just also like to throw in that his V2 command grab range seems like complete ass too.