What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

xiskza

Underworld
Some SFV facts from the anniversary books:

• SFV Director Takayuki Nakayama's first word upon being given the reigns of SFV was 'reset'
  • Nakayama didn't like the extent to which mastery of previous games systems superseded mastery of the individual character. This led to the V-System being made
  • Nakayama got the idea of stage interactions from SF3 Chief Tomoshi Sadamoto who had dreamed of seeing a Hadoken impacting the surrounding area
  • The idea of SFV was for each character to exhibit the best features from the last 30 years
  • Concept art of SFV shows Ken in his original design (I get a half SF2/half SF3 vibe from it but that's just me), both slim and fat Birdie designs and the scarred and bandaged Ryu from the first build of the game
  • The theme for Laura's character is that it's 'Carnivale every day for her'
  • Azam was originally going to be Rashid's name before they passed it off to his butler
  • Urien was given a suit because the story was serious and they thought Urien wearing a thong would have been too weird. The secret code to give Urien his SF3 look was made to please fans of the design
  • Birdie became fat and hungry in SFV because developers thought there were too many serious characters and there needed to be one that was comical
  • Dhalsim's redesign in SFV was because of the disconnect between Dhalsim's look and that of an actual Hindu Yogi
  • SFV team analysed Akuma's popularity and found it rooted in three elements; his exotic cultural heritage, his dark source of power and the mystery with which he arrived at the end of SSF2T. These elements were then used on Necalli
  • Nakayama: 'F.A.N.G's appeal is that he's a villain you can't hate
  • R.Mika's gameplay was changed because she wasn't strong nor user friendly in Alpha and they wanted to please pro wrestling fans with her SFV moveset
  • Seems like Alex came back in SFV so he could have another chance without the 'bright light's accompanied with his previous appearance as the main protagonist of SF3
  • Blanka was originally going to be SFV's Brazilian representative, but was replaced with Laura as the Brazilian fans wanted 'anyone but Blanka'. So Blanka could have been in the initial 16 back in February 2016
  • Rashid was intended to be the main character of SFV, but Ryu was ultimately the one to beat the final boss (the same thing happened with Abel in SF4)
  • The SFV development team were wary of bringing back Nash, but eventually decided to after being sold on the idea of Nash being a 'zombie', which became his default design
  • The book says that Ed is a 'recruiter for Bison's evil Shadaloo syndicate' which is either a mistake on their part or a possible future storyline that we don't know about
  • The SFV team thought that people would love Decapre so much in USF4 that they were going to have her in the initial 16 roster of SFV instead of Cammy, but the backlash to Decapre made them reconsider.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Some SFV facts from the anniversary books:

• SFV Director Takayuki Nakayama's first word upon being given the reigns of SFV was 'reset'
  • Nakayama didn't like the extent to which mastery of previous games systems superseded mastery of the individual character. This led to the V-System being made
  • Nakayama got the idea of stage interactions from SF3 Chief Tomoshi Sadamoto who had dreamed of seeing a Hadoken impacting the surrounding area
  • The idea of SFV was for each character to exhibit the best features from the last 30 years
  • Concept art of SFV shows Ken in his original design (I get a half SF2/half SF3 vibe from it but that's just me), both slim and fat Birdie designs and the scarred and bandaged Ryu from the first build of the game
  • The theme for Laura's character is that it's 'Carnivale every day for her'
  • Azam was originally going to be Rashid's name before they passed it off to his butler
  • Urien was given a suit because the story was serious and they thought Urien wearing a thong would have been too weird. The secret code to give Urien his SF3 look was made to please fans of the design
  • Birdie became fat and hungry in SFV because developers thought there were too many serious characters and there needed to be one that was comical
  • Dhalsim's redesign in SFV was because of the disconnect between Dhalsim's look and that of an actual Hindu Yogi
  • SFV team analysed Akuma's popularity and found it rooted in three elements; his exotic cultural heritage, his dark source of power and the mystery with which he arrived at the end of SSF2T. These elements were then used on Necalli
  • Nakayama: 'F.A.N.G's appeal is that he's a villain you can't hate
  • R.Mika's gameplay was changed because she wasn't strong nor user friendly in Alpha and they wanted to please pro wrestling fans with her SFV moveset
  • Seems like Alex came back in SFV so he could have another chance without the 'bright light's accompanied with his previous appearance as the main protagonist of SF3
  • Blanka was originally going to be SFV's Brazilian representative, but was replaced with Laura as the Brazilian fans wanted 'anyone but Blanka'. So Blanka could have been in the initial 16 back in February 2016
  • Rashid was intended to be the main character of SFV, but Ryu was ultimately the one to beat the final boss (the same thing happened with Abel in SF4)
  • The SFV development team were wary of bringing back Nash, but eventually decided to after being sold on the idea of Nash being a 'zombie', which became his default design
  • The book says that Ed is a 'recruiter for Bison's evil Shadaloo syndicate' which is either a mistake on their part or a possible future storyline that we don't know about
  • The SFV team thought that people would love Decapre so much in USF4 that they were going to have her in the initial 16 roster of SFV instead of Cammy, but the backlash to Decapre made them reconsider.

Thanks that was very interesting to find out those things.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
It shows the strange discrepancies between how Americans and the Japanese respond to certain elements and characters in the game.

Storm Kubo had the game winning combo and he didn’t activate V-Trigger then made bad decisions so he should’ve won.
But bad decisions is part of player skill and speed of though and adaptation. Not saying anyone is low tier or top tier, just giving my 2 cents. I do know that Abigail does look strong in AE.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Im this thread’s godlord from now on.

everyone who steps in here is my subject, Bumdown is the court jester, entropic is public toilet and somebody find myles so i can give him his position lul. now get in line to swear fealty

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Abigail looks INSANE in AE. I think he was nutso in s2 already honestly.

Aww, the threads resident shit-stain said I was the public toilet. I guess that post about him running like a bitch with his precious points from ChrisT upset him. Eventually puberty will hit though, and maybe he'll realize that being good at a fighting game doesn't substitute having a personality.. or maybe not, and his weird SFV power fantasy/Guile nuthuggery will spill over into RL and he'll forget hes not on the internet and someone will feed him his own teeth. *shrug* but then again, maybe the 888888888999999999999999 ranked games he has played have somehow instilled him with POWA and he'll surprise us all and bust out an upside down kick into whatever the fuck Guile does after that.. My money is on him just swinging his arms together and yelling SONIC BOOM, and then being beat into a fetal crouch - when everyone stops laughing.

I'll just never SF as good as him.. I'll have to console myself with being a functioning human.

Last edited:
Basic, cookie cutter level A Guile is heavily favored online. Online allows you to be a loose mcgoose canon with the booms and tons of free mobility even against effective counter zoners. Counter zoning is a preemptive read online and a reaction offline, thats a huge handicap. It changes guile's whole meta compared to let's say my precious perfect beautiful angel from heaven- who's online vs offline meta is mostly consistent. Online guile players cannot be a testament showing skill with their own character never mind the game. Noneedtotalk is terrible. This list proves everything.

There's a reason Japanese players don't even bother with the character online with exception of a few loyalists.

What do you guys think of the new vtriggers? I think I'm sticking with ryu's vtrigger 1.
I think Karins vt2 has its place overall but in certain matchups it's definitely more viable. I can parry certain things on reaction like Eds psycho knuckle and Abigails flip punch and his new v trigger. I also like the threat of being able to parry jump ins.

The damage output off of a successful parry is insane. Both lead to a full combo with unscaled damage and unscaled stun. I tested it on ken (1000 health/ stun). Meterless, it did 313 damage. 2 bars 440. CA 517. With a little bit less than half stun meter (one combo and a throw), the parry and following combo will stun, with no bars. Meterless 440. 2 bars 517. CA 617.

Parry mix ups are always gimmicky but with these numbers, the fact that it's all unscaled, and also that its able to be late canceled after every special I think adds a legitimate threat to her pressure game.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
What do you guys think of the new vtriggers? I think I'm sticking with ryu's vtrigger 1.
Mixed bag. On one end of the spectrum you’ve got characters like Zeku getting a second V Skill instead of a second V Trigger lol or Abigail getting a three bar gimmick when his V1 is already a two bar god mode and on the other end you’ve got Guile getting stupid damage off of generally much safer flash kicks, Ibuki getting even more ridiculous set-ups with anti-air utility and Chun adding decent damage to her already strong pokes and pretty gimmicky guard break set-ups just for kicks (lol get it? Kicks? Chun-li? I’ll show myself out.)

There are a lot of characters for whom you’d at least situationally have a decently tough decision to make though, even some with a REALLY strong V Trigger 1, like Urien and Akuma. And then there are even some new V Triggers like FANG’s and Rashid’s that should just flat out trump the old one most of the time too. There’s a whole spectrum from garbo to godlike.

Last edited: