What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
How are you finding his Claw/ No claw options?

I feel like they are pretty strong.

TL;DR - Claw On for pokes, spacing and patient, keep-away. Claw off for MOAR DAMAGES. No great AA option in either stance.

Claw on, I dont have a ton of damage except in certain situations, but I have great pokes that really add up and can frustrate. The ability to land a st.fp and cancel in to claw off then cr.mp means I do maintain meaningful damage in the right situation and I can transition to up close pressure fairly well.

The claw swipes are a tool that I dont use well but need to learn to use.. I feel like a lot of Vegas dont fool with them much but they have a lot of power used right. People either dont know, forget, or still get caught off by the fact that the LP swipe is a low and you can cancel off st.FP. It can turn in to a bit of a mindgame too because you can st.FP x Claw Off x Command Grab if they arent paying attention. Now, that isn't real obviously but it works way more than it should. I like to test the waters with it and see what they do. The swipes can do a lot in the corner as well. If you have established the command grab enough you can get opponents to NJ, and if you bait or read it, you can do some neat shit with hp.swipe in to lp.swipe. I'm pretty sure if you CC a st.rh in the corner you can combo hp.swipe in to lp.swipe as well and its not far shy of 300 damage. Situational again, but not as out of reach as it seems. In the corner I always try to keep hp.swipe as an option in my head to punish the NJ.

Claw on also keeps your st.lk which is your three framer, and its range is deceptive. You keep cr.mk too which is a low, semi-active combo starting, +2 on block normal with decent range. It will combo in to cr.lp and cr.mp claw-on, so you have some ability to follow it up with a little damage. Mp just pokes, but it will combo even if you hit with the outside of cr.mk, so its nice to just tack on an extra 50 or so damage. The cr.lp will combo in to lk.roll or ex.WallDive doing 149/258(stun) and 192/303 for claw hits in the air, leading to a setup on the ground, or 221/303 air grab if you want pure damage.

VSkill has some *nice* range with claw-on and can get you some work done early on, or late if you sit on it, vs fireball happy characters, but the timing and spacing isnt braindead so you cant just mash it and win. Claw off Vskill feels pretty meh.

AA is still a weak point of course.. You have st.rh for both claw and non and in claw you have cr.fp (you have it in non-claw too and honestly they both work *about* the same). You have fp.swipe. Vega can a2a well though with his normals and his air throw, so take that for what its worth.. but in the end, you really dont have a good AA option. Ive tried to defend his AA game but the more I play him the more I realize we can be bullied by intelligent jumping. We have options though and something Vega seems good at is punishing poorly executed jumps or jumps the other player thinks are safe. A lot of people like to jump back to get away (Jump back OS too of course) which you can chase down with ex.walldive a lot of the time and you also get players that like to forward jump just to eat up space.. you can step forward and cr.fp to catch them landing, you can wall dive, if you're really feeling froggy you can time a late slide for a side switch as they land, etc.

Claw on vega is meant for pokes and careful, mid/close zoning with some followups in to damage, but not a ton. Its MU specific. Vs Gief and such, claw all the way. Its player choice though how you want to approach any MU.

Claw off though, we can do so much more.. Vega has *very* good normals. st.lp is +3 and you can link 3 of them if your close enough. cr.mk is +2. cr.mp is +2. St.mp is +1 and has better range that it appears, and starts your mp/rh TC that leads to DAMAGE. cr.mk x st.mp>st.rh x Vskill/Vtrigger/ExWallDive/CA/ExRoll/Roll/Whatever all hit like a truck thats hauling bricks with pictures of other trucks hauling bricks painted on them.

Vega claw-off is a very strong pressure character character if your spacing is on point and he converts meter in to damage very effectively. Vega has some of the highest damage output in the game IMO. You can do really interesting stuff, and you can run great setups and weird situations with him to follow up his pressure with setups leading to more pressure and pain.

You can ex.walldive, hit them, land and lk.roll, causing a sideswitch *just* as they stand up.. You can fake it. You can just throw them for 360+ damage for a bar (depending on the combo in to the wall dive). You can Vtrigger when you land off the air hits of wall dive to convert that in to damage, etc. his CA can even be timed to hit meaty on wakeup AS A CROSSUP. Its tricky, but doable ( i am NOT consistent, but I have maybe 20m of practice at it). That works claw on or off. Hell, Cancelling a claw-off normal in to claw-on gives you plus frames. I'm not sure how many though, but I know that you can land, say, st.mp, cancel in to putting the claw back on and catch their attempted poke with your knee.

(more to come when I can, I have to get ready for work)

EntropicByDesign

youre missing the point. juri's target combo makes her mid a high. Bega's roundhouse is alwaus a high
Bega best DLC.

And I'm not missing the point.. I get that Juri is getting MOAR shafted, I was just bitching about something I find annoying in Vega that is *similar*. Juri's I would *think* is a glitch/bug/oversight where-as Vega's is probably working as intended, its just a dumb intention.

anything from plus 1 to minus 4. It's even negative 2 on hit from up close. If my st mk is at max range it spaces the cr hp to be plus. So either walk back and whiff punish after or use a button to interrupt the hp.
I thought so for the most negative part, my timing was way off for the most part.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Bega best DLC.

And I'm not missing the point.. I get that Juri is getting MOAR shafted, I was just bitching about something I find annoying in Vega that is *similar*. Juri's I would *think* is a glitch/bug/oversight where-as Vega's is probably working as intended, its just a dumb intention.
Not giving Vega a -1 mid crush counter hk combo starter is not a dumb intention actually

Last edited:

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
the more my opponents know, the less they let me get away with, the better I have to play to win. Hopefully They crush me into a diamond.
Talking like Ryu isn't going to make it ok. Just get in to the Lab and be 5 levels ahead in the meta. That's why I'm so nice. I don't need to lose to know how to win.

EntropicByDesign

Not giving Vega a -1 mid crush counter hk combo starter is not a dumb intention actually
Yes, you're completely right! HK when used in my target combo absolutely CCs.

All I said is the st.rh not landing on crouchers when I land the first hit of my TC (st.mp) is a design choice I feel isn't necessary and don't particularly care for.

I personally think Vega is one of the best characters in the game outside of the established top tiers, but what's gate keeping him from being THE MOST BESTEREST isn't his CC being a high, nor is it the TC whiffing on crouchers,I was simply lamenting an annoying design choice that detracts from his play very slightly and that I find personally annoying,

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Yes, you're completely right! HK when used in my target combo absolutely CCs.

All I said is the st.rh not landing on crouchers when I land the first hit of my TC (st.mp) is a design choice I feel isn't necessary and don't particularly care for.

I personally think Vega is one of the best characters in the game outside of the established top tiers, but what's gate keeping him from being THE MOST BESTEREST isn't his CC being a high, nor is it the TC whiffing on crouchers,I was simply lamenting an annoying design choice that detracts from his play very slightly and that I find personally annoying,
we're not on the same page at all. show me a 2 hit target combo the changes the properites of the second move in a non framedata way then come back to this conversation.

...so since now we understand it's only juri's we can now understand why it sucks. the 2nd chain normal st. hp isn't a high yet made to be one on top of it being traditionally unsafe.this isn't a "gee wouldnt it be nice if juri had this" like your vega complaint, it's a blatant handicap...for some reason.

EntropicByDesign

we're not on the same page at all. show me a 2 hit target combo the changes the properites of the second move in a non framedata way then come back to this conversation.

...so since now we understand it's only juri's we can now understand why it sucks. the 2nd chain normal st. hp isn't a high yet made to be one on top of it being traditionally unsafe.this isn't a "gee wouldnt it be nice if juri had this" like your vega complaint, it's a blatant handicap...for some reason.
Yeah.. I never said Juri's wasn't a big deal or any such thing. Nor did I say they were the 'same'. I made a general statement because something you said made me think of Vega's TC.. so I made a statement to that effect.

And real quick, and I know how hard this is, but I don't care if no other TC changes the properties of...blah blah. ALL I did was say I find it annoying wish it hit. I'm super sorry that you're butthurt that Juri something something TC and also that you feel this weird, burning desire to argue where there is NO argument, and further to try to find.. offense is the wrong word, I dunno, just some argumentative statement in what I've said. I know you want to forum thug me and all, but seriously, I agree with you completely and i never said anything to the contrary, all I did was say 'hey that reminds me of something Vega has that bugs me'

I commend the shit out of you for playing Juri, I love her, but I'm just not good enough to make her work well. Same with Ibuki. So I hope they fix the issue and you can win EVO forever.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Yeah.. I never said Juri's wasn't a big deal or any such thing. Nor did I say they were the 'same'. I made a general statement because something you said made me think of Vega's TC.. so I made a statement to that effect.

And real quick, and I know how hard this is, but I don't care if no other TC changes the properties of...blah blah. ALL I did was say I find it annoying wish it hit. I'm super sorry that you're butthurt that Juri something something TC and also that you feel this weird, burning desire to argue where there is NO argument, and further to try to find.. offense is the wrong word, I dunno, just some argumentative statement in what I've said. I know you want to forum thug me and all, but seriously, I agree with you completely and i never said anything to the contrary, all I did was say 'hey that reminds me of something Vega has that bugs me'

I commend the shit out of you for playing Juri, I love her, but I'm just not good enough to make her work well. Same with Ibuki. So I hope they fix the issue and you can win EVO forever.
ok but only one complaint is actually valid here. im not just proposing nonsense buffs for a character i use because i think people want to hear it. and now youre writing walls of texts about how superior you are for missing the point or even worse getting the point and adding, honestly, nothing relevant.

Ah ok so you're good at footsies?

:DOGE
yea i am i like this better then whiff punishing

over at SRK, Buktooth wrote an excellent summary of the purpose of walking forward in footsies. It’s the same concept i wrote above, phrased differently:
“Fighting on the ground, extremely simplified:
1.Sticking Out Moves beats Walking Forward
2.Walking Forward beats Whiff Punishing
3.Whiff Punishing beats Sticking Out Moves
The Walking Forward part is a little abstract, and deserves a bit of explanation: A player that is looking to whiff punish something is not going to be pressing buttons; they are going to be either standing still or walking backwards, waiting for you whiff something. Walking forward exploits this by closing the distance and/or pushing the opponent back towards the corner, as they walk backwards to maintain their desired spacing.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
hmm a juri player actually using her properly instead of doing te same flowchart charge sequences with optimal damage beating a top 6 character piloted by a player who's won 2 majors

Lmao at people in/on stream acting surprised that Hsien Chang is doing work. Dudes been an undercover top 10 American player forever.