What's new

Street Fighter V General Discussion

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Fought an Alex last night for about 30 games went like 25-5 with Mika, hes not got anything with invincibility and his EX attacks lose to throws. As long as i didnt commit to a blockstring when he is in V trigger i can just react to the parry with a command throw and hes on the floor. His normals are good but I was able to whiff punish a lot of stuff really easily on reaction. Also not sure if my reactions were god awful trying to learn alex by eye but dash up powerbomb was surprisingly legit.
He just came out lol. You thought homeboy was gonna have a high Alex with not much play on him?

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Can what be made into a certain thread? Street Fighter for beginners?
Well yea. I just bought the game just now. Won't able to play until later though
Edit:
I haven't played sfv since MKX release...
That's a long ass time. And there's no option selects and and all that so it's gonna feel entirely new :)

*DFx2. You can also buff them off the last input you did so if you just done a dragon punch or a hadouken you can just do DF button quickly to get the CA cancel
I thought SF V didn't have the super shortcuts though? As in you can't do DFx2, you have to do clean QCFx2 in order for the super to come out?

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Laura has to suck. I just watched the NCR tournament. Noone was using Laura.
She is definitely low tier but not horrible, I don't think anyone is hopeless in this game.
The thing with her is that she has a vortex but it's pretry hard to get in as her due to her bad ranged normals, no way of changing her jump trayectory and lack of tools to get around fireballs in general. Once she gets in she can either make a lot of good reads and take your whole life bar or guess wrong once, get full combo punished and lose her momentum. She relies on reads because she literally can't do anything else to win a match, she has some pretty hard MUs and I can't think of a single MU she wins but she might have like 1 or 2 at best, yet she loses bad to some characters.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Fought an Alex last night for about 30 games went like 25-5 with Mika, hes not got anything with invincibility and his EX attacks lose to throws. As long as i didnt commit to a blockstring when he is in V trigger i can just react to the parry with a command throw and hes on the floor. His normals are good but I was able to whiff punish a lot of stuff really easily on reaction. Also not sure if my reactions were god awful trying to learn alex by eye but dash up powerbomb was surprisingly legit.
Defeating someone that bad the same day their character dropped doesn't mean much lol.

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
Honestly as a Laura main. Someone talk to me about this Vega MU. I played one and won the ft5. But they got impatient and tried to do too much. If he just abused poke range and kept me out I'd of been bodied. How do my short normals beat the claw? Or am I just totally reliant on jedi mind reading?

Honestly as a Laura main. Someone talk to me about this Vega MU. I played one and won the ft5. But they got impatient and tried to do too much. If he just abused poke range and kept me out I'd of been bodied. How do my short normals beat the claw? Or am I just totally reliant on jedi mind reading?
Can you crush counter the pokes with s.hk?

Well, buffing Bison would be difficult because his design is wack .
He has alot of issues and its kinda hard to pin down exactly what you'd have to buff just so he doesn't become too OP afterwards.

Some things hes missing aren't really unique to him: no 3 frame jab, no reversal...
but he also has the worst dedicated AA normal in the game and average jump normals on top of all that.
Plus, he has the worst walk speed in the game and one of the slowest dashes in the game at 22 frames
thats easy to react and punish because it flashes purple.

If I was personally going to buff him I would start by giving him a much faster walk speed, a viable AA outside super
and maybe some kinda corner escape option like Nash or an armored reversal so he doesn't just die when he gets knocked down in the corner
vs R. Mika.

And If all that still wasn't enough then I would give him a 3 frame jab and reduce the charge time on scissor kicks and make them push back more on block.
The dash being that slow is in my opinion his problem. It looks like the slow walk speed was intentional because his dash can be used to avoid thrown out normals in neutral. The problem being that 22 frames is slow enough for someone to recover and hit him with a three frame jab even if that happens. Even if the timing is off a bit, a three frame move should hit him before anything he has starts up, so a lot of the time it's dash, block.

Other than that, he's plus on like everything. Giving him a three frame jab would give him much better reversal options for sure, but on the flip side of that you would have to reduce some of his other plus frames. He's not the only character with shitty AA.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
She is definitely low tier but not horrible, I don't think anyone is hopeless in this game.
The thing with her is that she has a vortex but it's pretry hard to get in as her due to her bad ranged normals, no way of changing her jump trayectory and lack of tools to get around fireballs in general. Once she gets in she can either make a lot of good reads and take your whole life bar or guess wrong once, get full combo punished and lose her momentum. She relies on reads because she literally can't do anything else to win a match, she has some pretty hard MUs and I can't think of a single MU she wins but she might have like 1 or 2 at best, yet she loses bad to some characters.
Welcome to grapplers 101.

In due time I think people will play her like Keoma plays Abel. You don't need to commit. All you need is one knockdown where hitting a crush counter nets you virtually unblockable 50-50s into tons of stun.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
And on top of that, since a lot of people complain about getting in.

SF has always been about whiff punishing. Lab a move, repeat it with a bot, whiff punish it.

If not, just block. Nobody said you have to press a million buttons and that's how snake eyes played zangief, same with keoma with abel. If your character needs to get in then it often means you only need to land 1 knockdown and it doesn't matter where it comes from. Surely you can understand other chars keeping you out with multiple hits versus your one.

Well yea. I just bought the game just now. Won't able to play until later though
Edit:
I haven't played sfv since MKX release...
That's a long ass time. And there's no option selects and and all that so it's gonna feel entirely new :)
Yes there are. C.MK fireball is still a thing with shotos. Cammy has s.HP spiral arrow too.

There's just not the crouch tech OS. There's activation of prejump frames to make wakeups throw immune as well.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
I thought SF V didn't have the super shortcuts though? As in you can't do DFx2, you have to do clean QCFx2 in order for the super to come out?
I don't know the logistics of it. It just works

Your meant to be talking about Laura not Zangief

The dash being that slow is in my opinion his problem. It looks like the slow walk speed was intentional because his dash can be used to avoid thrown out normals in neutral. The problem being that 22 frames is slow enough for someone to recover and hit him with a three frame jab even if that happens. Even if the timing is off a bit, a three frame move should hit him before anything he has starts up, so a lot of the time it's dash, block.

Other than that, he's plus on like everything. Giving him a three frame jab would give him much better reversal options for sure, but on the flip side of that you would have to reduce some of his other plus frames. He's not the only character with shitty AA.
If he wasn't plus on everything he would be like the worst fighting game character of all time.
And who in SFV has a worse AA game than Bison?

If he wasn't plus on everything he would be like the worst fighting game character of all time.
And who in SFV has a worse AA game than Bison?
Right. He needs the plus frames because none of his normals are fast enough. If you gave him faster normals you'd need to compensate some plus frames appropriately. If he didn't have the plus frames and still didn't have any 3 frame jabs, that would absolutely horrible, but I didn't suggest both, nor did I suggest taking away ALL of the plus frames he has.

Karin's AA sucks and so do her reversal options. But the questions you posed is asking for a comparison, which also isn't what I said. I just said other people have bad AA too.

If I were to buff bison I would give him a 3 frame jab and reduced frames on his dash. that's it.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Anyone can give me tips on how to properly do cr.HP into DP for Ryu? Every time I do it it goes to his CA. I don't know if it's negative edge or I'm doing it to fast.