What's new

Story mode hopes and predictions

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
@vapid you have me dying with your Jacqui speculation lol.

Real talk though, I legitimately want something awful to happen to Jacqui to at least give her some depth as a character.

1. Raiden rips off Jacqui's legs

2. Jacqui forced to replace legs with robotic kangaroo legs

3. Character Development

MKX had a lot of shit*y Cage jokes which did not sit well for me either. I'm with him on this one.
Haven`t heard a single joke in MKX story. And it`s not about quips and shit. It`s about overall attitude towards their own product. Why would they change the tone of this series and make a flavorless, grey, boring garbage mess that is MKX`s story mode? I remember prior to release they showed first chapter of this mode and it felt alright. There was adventure, high stakes, fast pace, cool cutscenes, but then the game came out and story mode past that had almost none of it. It was a filler episode. MKX comic book actually was levels ahead in terms of story structure.

Gamer68

Fujin!
At the Reveal Event, Geras had a gear piece called "Totem of Immortal Onaga"

Usually when gear or skins reference another character, it's because they have something to do with said character. Example: Skarlet has a dagger called "Reiko's Sacrificial Dagger" or something like that, because they were a duo in the MKX comic series.

Geras having gear that references Onaga probably means that Kronika is trying to get Onaga to come back in the current timeline somehow, maybe to balance out Dark Raiden who she thinks has "tipped the scales in the favor of good" or whatever.

Onaga having a role in the game could explain how Shao Kahn gets his weird dragon arm? Maybe the timelines mess up and certain characters start to merge into each other, and one that we get is Onaga merged with Shao Kahn. Not only would this explain his weird arm, but apparently Shao Kahn will also have a role in the story so this is how he could get involved.

Reptile and Ermac have some of the most personal unexplored story potential... Its just NRS not giving a damn about side characters plots.

And even though i like Cassie, i dont think her story is nearly as good as the potential these two side storys have.
Obviously this is a matter of preference.

Also as jobbers go... Jax and Sonya are more useless than the ones you mentioned, especially Sonya. She is mostly irrelevant and her character is going nowhere.
i gotta disagree with calling Sonya a jobber, in the span of Mk9 to Mkx she has defeated both Sub-Zeroes, Scorpion, Kitana, Jade, Kano, Jax and Quan chi. As for being irrelevant shes like the most important earthrealmer in my opinion she leads the special forces, shes basically Raidens right hand women, Scorpion respected her enough toask her to release Quan chi before attacking and also in the comics Kotal respected her enough to seek out her help and even chastised D'vorah when she tried to attack Sonya. Sonya's one of my favourite characters because of her relationship and her importance in the story she is definitely not irrelevant.

vapid

cyber warlord
@vapid you have me dying with your Jacqui speculation lol.

Real talk though, I legitimately want something awful to happen to Jacqui to at least give her some depth as a character.

1. Raiden rips off Jacqui's legs

2. Jacqui forced to replace legs with robotic kangaroo legs

3. Character Development
You could make literally dozens of 'what if' endings for Jacqui, all of which involve her dying or being harmed in some way - they'd all be comical, and in each of them it would ultimately turn out to have been completely needless, as after she's been killed it is revealed that she was innocent of whatever she was accused of, but by then it's too late. You could get some sort of Jacqui death meme going.

Aside from Raiden doing it (which is my favourite, as he'd regret it immensely after he is restored to normal and is told what he's done whilst he was corrupted) you could also have one in which Fujin creates some sort of mini-tornado inside her stomach, which slowly blows her apart - she'd be alive for most of it, screaming and crying as her stomach is ripped open and her limbs ripped off in different directions, and her entrails slowly spill out.

As her bloody, torn, lifeless corpse drops to the floor and her organs and entrails splatter across it, Fujin just looks down, closes his eyes, and says:

"I am sorry Miss Briggs; your death costs us all dearly, but we cannot afford yet another traitor in our ranks. I can only pray your death was swift and painless." (obviously it wasn't)

...then like five seconds later, Cassie runs into the Temple, sees Jacqui's remains, and is like "ohh shit, gross" and turns round to throw up. After she's been sick, as she's coughing and trying to compose herself, she tells Fujin that she's just found out from Johnny & Sonya that actually Jacqui was not only innocent, but a hero for bringing Shinnok's amulet back to Fujin. After she's said this, Fujin looks over at one of Jacqui's torn-off arms and sees it is indeed grasping the amulet.

Jax then turns up, sees the mess without seeing the head, and says "Damnnnn, someone gonna be PISSED!", smashes his fists together, then says to Fujin "Come on Windy, let's go pummel us some Geras" - at which point Fujin and Cassie both look at each other awkwardly and then nod, following Jax out of the Temple.

Other examples obviously include:

- Jacqui being made into a cyborg
- Jacqui becoming a revenant
- Jacqui becoming a zombie with chains, like Zombie Liu Kang
- Jacqui being horrifically burned like Kabal, and requiring breathing equipment and metal implants/augmentations
- Jacqui being killed by D'Vorah, like Mileena was
- Jacqui being given an unceremonious death in story mode, such as simply falling off a bridge or into a stage interactable - normally in this situation another character would save them (like at the end of MKX outside the Temple) but in this case her life isn't deemed to be worth risking anyone else for; as Cassie is about to run and grab Jacqui, Johnny grabs her arm, "No, Cass! Remember last time, with Kung Jin... it's not worth it."

Okay, I've got it: in the intro cinematic, Dark Raiden kills Jacqui because she questions his motivations for protecting Earthrealm at any cost - he assumes she has ulterior motives and may be working for Kronika, so he fries her Palpatine-style, snaps her neck and throws her in a ditch.
/end
Jax arrives while Raiden is frying Jacqui, then he screams : "What the fuck are you doing Raiden ? You were supposed to wait for me to bring the pop corn".

Honestly I don't even mind Jacqui being back as long as she gets a proper character developement, but it's so funny to see how people are passionate when it comes to trash talking her.

vapid

cyber warlord
Honestly I don't even mind Jacqui being back as long as she gets a proper character developement, but it's so funny to see how people are passionate when it comes to trash talking her.
Haha, I just enjoy it. :D

I actually don't really mind. I mean it's not like we can do anything about it - it's certainly not worth getting wound up about.

I just wish a more interesting character had taken her place, but I agree with you that it'll be interesting to see how NRS improves her and develops her character in the story.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
I would like something like this. But i would prefer a scenario were Kotal asks earthrealm for help and they band together to stop Raiden and the Netherrealm guys. I dont see earthrealm supporting Raiden on the path he is on.
I don't think Raiden will cooperate with the Netherrealm, though. It's unlikely that he and Liu Kang will get along. And there's footage of Raiden fighting what seems to be Netherrealm creatures, so I think they're rather going at each other's throats.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I hope it’s more like the mkx comic instead of dumb scenarios just to get you in control of the character. Kung Jin ripping Kotal like wet tissue just to get a story chapter in comes to mind.

I’m not saying it’s easy to do, a fighting game story is probably stupid difficult and the worst genre to write for but if anyone can do it, it’s nrs.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I want Kung Jin, Takeda and Johnny to go on a quest to defeat Kronika and end up impaled through the arse on the same stick, Cage being at the bottom so the last thing he tastes is all the bloodsoaked feces of his trash tier buddies.

I want Mileena to return with a can in each hand: one of Whupass which she spreads evenly among Kotal and Erron, and one of Raid with which she fatalities Dvorah right back in the face.

I want to watch Jade murder Kenshi in the most brutal way possible.

Oh, and I'd love for story mode to make sense but I know it won't.
You know, I wasn't going to be thrilled about Mileena's absence from the roster and about Jade being nothing but a useless jobber, but you're doing a great job of convincing me otherwise.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
How would y’all feel about them focusing on like 2 or 3 characters? Like having a story built around 3 characters? I think it would be much more engaging and plausible.

Bring back the challenge tower to get people trying new characters. I don’t think the story mode is a good place to do that. You have to pause and check the moves/combos. You just mash your way through the story until you get to a character you like. At least with 3 characters we will be proficient with them by the end.

vapid

cyber warlord
How would y’all feel about them focusing on like 2 or 3 characters? Like having a story built around 3 characters? I think it would be much more engaging and plausible.

Bring back the challenge tower to get people trying new characters. I don’t think the story mode is a good place to do that. You have to pause and check the moves/combos. You just mash your way through the story until you get to a character you like. At least with 3 characters we will be proficient with them by the end.
Yes, if the characters are Rain, Moloch and the relationship between Johnny and Mocap.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
:thinking:
Lol nah but seriously. What if the first half of the story follow young Liu Kang and Kung Lao. Walking through the modern timeline and seeing how fucked up it is Shaolin monks style.

The second half could be old Hanzo and Sub, the new allies trying to save what’s left. Fire and ice style. I could get down with that, it would be more focused and coherent which always makes for a better story.

For the villains just make short stories for towers. Goals that make sense. Shao Kahn going through kotals minions etc. Raiden crushing through outworld.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
You know, I wasn't going to be thrilled about Mileena's absence from the roster and about Jade being nothing but a useless jobber, but you're doing a great job of convincing me otherwise.
I have this bias for the classic characters that I think they are essential and important to the game.
I understand that there is reasoning to the contrary, but it's just how I feel about them.
I like Mileena more than any of the new characters.

Resistible

MK fan since '92
During the end credits, Onaga is going to take Goro's life to come back the way he did with Reptile in the original timeline. This will complete the ending of the MKX comics and set up MK12 the way they did with Dark Raiden at the end of MKX