What's new

Story mode hopes and predictions

Espio

Kokomo
Yup. There are sooo many people giving Kotal shit because he lost to Kung Jin.
But is story mode performance a factor for people when choosing a character? I just look which playstyle I enjoy, not who beat who in a story where powerscaling makes no sense anyways. If what you describe is true, that's kinda sad.
Thing is there is no basis to believe that Cassie is popular because she won story fights or other characters. If Scorpion did nothing in story mode he still would be a top three pick. People are just out of touch with the majority consensus outside of certain circles and believe that because they don't like something they have to used contrived reasons to justify why Cassie or Takeda were more popular than their faves.

Afumba

Noob
I want lots of things that aint gonna happen so.... here is what i dont want...

- main focus on special forces
- Outworld and earthrealm feud. Seriously this is in serious need of a break.
- bosses/leaders being beaten by "random person"
- characters that serve no real purpose and have no own motivation/Or have one and its never followed up upon.

vapid

cyber warlord

- characters that serve no real purpose and have no own motivation/Or have one and its never followed up upon.
lol see my previous reply to @Cassie Cyrus

Espio

Kokomo
She was pushed as protagonist. So how is that no basis? It's at subliminal level, people want to be the protagonist.
If the character was lame, they would still be lame regardless of any promotion. Do you think Taven elicits that? Cassie is a fun character based off of two already popular characters. People want fun characters that make them laugh and she has style that people latched onto. People were into her before they played story mode. The level of reaching people are willing to do is impressive. And if you want to go by it's just because she was pushed that applies to Scorpion, Raiden and Sub-Zero especially who all end up on either cover art, reveal trailer or some other massive marketing. Since apparently people can't think for themselves.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I hope they get rid of the chapters consisting of 4 battles for a character and rather just make a story that moves forward. And a different theme besides 'Earthrealm is under attack!'

Character interaction wise I'd like to see a bigger difference in who deals with what, Kano fighting with Kabal about the black dragon for starters instead of the usual Kano taunting Sonya and losing then getting away anyway. Also some re-tooled scenes that reference the comic book for MKX, I want Hsu Hao to reappear in the story as an NPC just to see him get killed by Scorpion in glorious 3D.

Also Kotal needs a redemption chapter/arc in the story, something akin to Scorpion killing Quan Chi in MKX, where he fights through multiple characters to get to D'vorah and kill her for her betrayal.

Afumba

Noob
lol see my previous reply to @Cassie Cyrus
You will probably be right. But i doubt it will beat my disappointment of my three fav chars not making it into the game :)
Besides... I dont expect the story to be good. They will start of interesting and then find ways to ruin it. At least if MKX is any indication.

Also this maybe an unpopular opinion but i really hope they keep Cassie as the protagonist in this game and going forward. I know people didnt like MKX's ending and i kinda get why but i did and i think Cassie has a lot of potential as the new hero that i would like to see followed through on.
Sidenote i really hope theres a scene where Cassie and human Liu kang team up that would be so dope to see both heroes fighting together.

4: Not too much jokes, I don't mind a few, but don't make it too comical, I hate that.
I hope the new MK storymode writer doesn`t think like you do. MKX story was all about that serious stuff and it was so so shitty. Well, the story of MKX suffered from many problems actually,, but still,i want some buddy cop comedies cliches from Shaolin bros, some time travel gags, blundergod blundering like he never did before and, in general, i want MK`s trademark campy cheesiness back. It should be over the top, action-packed ride with no breaks.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
I hope the new MK storymode writer doesn`t think like you do. MKX story was all about that serious stuff and it was so so shitty. Well, the story of MKX suffered from many problems actually,, but still,i want some buddy cop comedies cliches from Shaolin bros, some time travel gags, blundergod blundering like he never did before and, in general, i want MK`s trademark campy cheesiness back. It should be over the top, action-packed ride with no breaks.
Let me guess, your favorite characters are Cassie cage and Bo Rai Cho? :-p

I love some humor in the intro's of the characters, but I hate too much comedy in the story mode, I thought MKX had much too many stupid jokes about marriage and all that stupid shit mostly seen in comedy/romantic SOAPS.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Amen.

I can actually imagine that being quite interesting because of Dark Raiden. There have been hints that he might attack other realms preemptively. With Kotal as a ruler that's not straight up evil and really cares about his realm, that could become an interesting conflict where the Earthrealm fighters aren't sure if they're doing the right thing, and you as a player even start sympathising with Outworld. Perfect opportunity for a "bad guy chapter" where you defend against the usual good guys.

Last edited:

mikeraskol

Beverly Hills High Class of 2010 Valedictorian
I love some humor in the intro's of the characters, but I hate too much comedy in the story mode, I thought MKX had much too many stupid jokes about marriage and all that stupid shit mostly seen in comedy/romantic SOAPS.
Having a 30 second discussion between Johnny/Sonya about their marriage and why they split is character building. It gives the characters more depth, makes the story better and informs you more about Cassie - why she seems to be conflicted between the carefree style of her dad (at least his younger self) and the duty-bound seriousness of his mother.

It makes me, personally, more invested in those characters than random one-note useless jobbers like Baraka, Ermac, Reptile, and so on. And its not soapy, its literally just a normal part of many stories. I'm guessing you've never actually seen a soap.

Cassie Cyrus

I know most people are hyped for old characters meeting their younger selves, but I'm not stoked on that, probably means every character battles his younger self at a time... Yawn. Just as cheap as the Jax vs Johnny Cage fights in MK9... or the Sonya vs Raiden fight...

Cassie Cyrus

Having a 30 second discussion between Johnny/Sonya about their marriage and why they split is character building. It gives the characters more depth, makes the story better and informs you more about Cassie - why she seems to be conflicted between the carefree style of her dad (at least his younger self) and the duty-bound seriousness of his mother.

It makes me, personally, more invested in those characters than random one-note useless jobbers like Baraka, Ermac, Reptile, and so on. And its not soapy, its literally just a normal part of many stories. I'm guessing you've never actually seen a soap.
Those characters are only jobbers because Boon doesn't really seem to care for evil characters that much + their entire writing style sucked ass. See D'Vorah, one of Boon's favorites get a cool twist in the story... Evil guys in the comics, those were the thing!

I think the family joke/drama is for the SIMS, I don't want that in Mortal Kombat, I want some family drama, but not in the way of the Cages.

Afumba

Noob
Amen.

I can actually imagine that being quite interesting because of Dark Raiden. There have been hints that he might attack other realms preemptively. With Kotal as a ruler that's not straight up evil and really cards about his realm, that could become an interesting conflict where the Earthrealm fighters aren't sure if they're doing the right thing, and you as a player even start sympathising with Outworld. Perfect opportunity for a "bad guy chapter" where you defend against the usual good guys.
I would like something like this. But i would prefer a scenario were Kotal asks earthrealm for help and they band together to stop Raiden and the Netherrealm guys. I dont see earthrealm supporting Raiden on the path he is on.

vapid

cyber warlord
I would like something like this. But i would prefer a scenario were Kotal asks earthrealm for help and they band together to stop Raiden and the Netherrealm guys. I dont see earthrealm supporting Raiden on the path he is on.
Yes, I can see the SF teaming up with Kotal's crew to stop Raiden.

Rain's on the menu, so assuming he's in, it'll be interesting to see where he fits into all this.

I assume Fujin will just not be mentioned, and inexplicably not be around to help vs. Raiden. Ditto for Bo Rai Cho I think.

LeoMK29

Noob
I was hoping Jacqui would be killed off in the intro cinematic, or even better, it was simply mentioned in an off-hand comment that she'd been killed sometime between MKX and MK 11, and she's never mentioned again. Even Jax, who returns as an NPC, shows no sign of mourning her, and just makes a throwaway comment like 'ohh yeah, her' when Johnny brings up the fact that Jax also once had a daughter.
I don’t hate Jacqui, but this made me lol I appreciate this post haha

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
In terms of who is gonna team with who, I think Raiden will still not be full on evil but Scorpion and Dark Raiden would naturally get along because they are both "good" but ruthless

Afumba

Noob

Reptile and Ermac have some of the most personal unexplored story potential... Its just NRS not giving a damn about side characters plots.

And even though i like Cassie, i dont think her story is nearly as good as the potential these two side storys have.
Obviously this is a matter of preference.

Also as jobbers go... Jax and Sonya are more useless than the ones you mentioned, especially Sonya. She is mostly irrelevant and her character is going nowhere.

vapid

cyber warlord
I don’t hate Jacqui, but this made me lol I appreciate this post haha
In terms of who is gonna team with who, I think Raiden will still not be full on evil but Scorpion and Dark Raiden would naturally get along because they are both "good" but ruthless
Okay, I've got it: in the intro cinematic, Dark Raiden kills Jacqui because she questions his motivations for protecting Earthrealm at any cost - he assumes she has ulterior motives and may be working for Kronika, so he fries her Palpatine-style, snaps her neck and throws her in a ditch.

About two scenes later, Cassie asks 'hey, where's Jacqui?' and Fujin replies 'let us not concern ourselves with the fate of the Briggs family.' She's never mentioned again, and her canon bio (referenced in every single other character's ending) is that she 'paid the ultimate price for questioning Lord Raiden.'

/end

portent

Noob
I have my theories on the story.

Fair warning: wall of text.

We have some very clear parallels between both timelines, which, as of MK11, we now know both exist (because due Kronika saying that Raiden screws things up, she can see the original timeline and now the new one) separately of each other.

Parallels:
Liu Kang dies: OTL by the deadly alliance. NTL by Raiden.

Scorpion is resurrected: OTL by the Elder Gods as their champion (Deception). NTL by reversing QC's magic and restoring him to life as Hanzo again.

Raiden becomes Dark Raiden: OTL his ending in Deception. NTL At the end of MKX.

Ok, these are 3 pretty big parallels between the old time line and new one. So, if this rings true, then it is quite possible that no matter what, Armageddon is coming, regardless of the way we get there. No matter how much Raiden interfered and attempted to change anything, those 3 things are all going to happen, which are all leading to Armageddon.

Now, since we know that Kronika has been controlling everything since the beginning of time, it means that Armageddon is/was her plan. This also means that in the context of the story, Kronika is AWARE that the events of MK4, MKDA, MKD and MKA all took place at some point, and those events are HER intended timeline, which Raiden interferes with.

This leads to some questions:
1. Blaze is actually the final boss at the end of Armageddon, does this mean that, by MK9's storytelling, Shao Kahn defeats and kills Raiden for the right to fight Blaze? What is the outcome of that fight, and, is this SK the one that we will get to see in MK11?

2. Will Blaze be featured in MK11 since all roads are seemingly leading to Armageddon, and if so, what is his role? If not, then what character is?

3. If Kronika is the one controlling everything behind the scenes, including the action/non-action of the elder gods, that makes her more powerful than the Elder Gods. Is she actually the one-being? If she is, then that is further proof of the existence of the Kamidogu, and moreso, Shujinko's existence, and likewise, the possibility of Onaga's existence in this timeline.

4. Is Kronika benevoltent or malevolent?

5. This is a food for thought observation/question. Are the Elder Gods actually Malevolent beings? They choose to act and not act when it is clear that they need to act. Shinnok sheds his EG status, and eventually so does Raiden (Raiden's defection is due to the EG's lack of direct action). We are led to believe that Shinnok is evil, and likewise that Dark Raiden is evil, but in the MK11 storyline teaser, we see Shinnok telling Raiden that he now sees the "truth" about the Elder Gods, seeing as they have both gone from EG status to "evil in our eyes" status. What if the truth is that the Elder Gods are actually malevolent, and Shinnok, Dark Raiden and Kronika are all actually neutral or good?