What's new

Story mode hopes and predictions

I am really exited for MK 11's story mode so i just wanted to talk about some of my hopes and predictions for the game.
One thing i really want to happen in story mode is Dark Raiden meeting human Liu Kang and Kung Lao and after a bit of hesitation tries to kill them because he would think that getting rid of them in the past would get rid of the threat in the present. I think it would really hit home that this is not the same Raiden anymore when he tries to kill the two people he refered to as sons and it would be a epic moment.
As for gameplay related hopes i kinda want them to get rid of the chapters way of going thru story mode. I feel like it gets kinda tedious after a bit, though i would like them to keep the choose your fighter aspect from injustice 2 and expand on it.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Yeah the option to choose different characters during the different chapters is something they said would actually return and be improved upon in MK11 which's cool

We could play as Superman in Injustice 2 and that alternate ending is awesome. I really hope MK11 will allow us to play as Raiden who is now the badass boss
It would be sick if they bring back the two endings for MK 11, like you could either defeat Kronika and ruin her plans or join her and then that affects the timelines. God just thinking about the possibilities of story mode got me hyped.

Oh, I have a lot of hopes.
  • The writers gotta milk the multi-timeline shenanigans for all their worth. Ex: New Johnny teaching old Johnny some manners with the gist of his fist.
  • I'd like them to deliver on Dark Raiden for once. Some Old Testament-to-11 violently monstrous shit, please. The story cutscene they released at the Community Reveal is a good show of faith. I also had hoped Fujin would be the voice of reason in this arc but that seems like a long shot at this point.
  • Would be nice if Liu Kang and Kitana have understandable motives and aren't evil for the sake of it. Clearly Liu has a reason to hate Raiden, but maybe he also thinks Earthrealm deserves a better protector. Maybe Kitana wants to use Netherrealm's might to reclaim Edenia and Outworld.
  • I don't want NRS resetting the timeline again, even though they have the opportunity for it. Also think the revenant/Netherrealm angle's about played out and hope they tackle Edenia, Chaosrealm/Orderrealm or preferably new realms in future stories and this game could set that up.
  • A few minor things: Kano should stay away from Sonya because I'm sick of it. Kotal should continue to see stellar writing in his favor (jobbing to kids aside). Cassie could stand to be a bit cuter; she's a sharp punk in MKX single fight modes, but in story mode she's a straightedge no-nonsense hero? Blah.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
I hope they let us play as some of the bad guys, they always get screwed cause we only play through the good guys perspective and that kinda sucks
Agreed. It's always interesting to see the story from multiple points of view. I liked it a lot that D'Vorah and Kotal had their own MKX chapter. I really made the story more interesting and nuanced. Imagine a Noob POV chapter for MK11!

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Here is what I'm hoping for:

A BAD, BAD, BAD trend in NRS story modes is, that the character, who has his or her chapter, is the most powerful being in the entire MK universe at that time. That way you have some beyond stupid fight outcomes, which power-levelwise really shouldn't have happened.
If a match up is unavoidable storywise, let the player win, but in the cutscene afterwards the opponent should still come out on top. Otherwise you end up with in theory powerful villains, but who still end up being mega jobbers.

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Just really want to see Raiden fuck shit up bad lol, like he should and not jobber. Hopefully Fujin as well, I mean in Mythologies he was a badass. They need to stop nerfing the Gods.

vapid

cyber warlord
Here is what I'm hoping for:

A BAD, BAD, BAD trend in NRS story modes is, that the character, who has his or her chapter, is the most powerful being in the entire MK universe at that. That way you have some beyond stupid fight outcomes, which power-levelwise really shouldn't have happened.
If a match up is unavoidable storywise, let the player win, but the cutscene afterwards still have the opponent come out on top. Otherwise you end up with in theory powerful villains, but who still end up being mega jobbers.
Somewhere at NRS' studio exists the original MKX scene in which Kung Jin defeats Kotal, executes him, then becomes the first gay Shaolin emperor of Outworld.

No but seriously, this is exactly the scene I had in mind with your comment, and of course I agree.

Also, Shinnok should have snapped Cassie's neck after the last fight, so it's canon that he wins but you can still 'win' the game so as to unlock him and finish story mode.

vapid

cyber warlord
I am hoping that Jacqui will kill everyone with using %0000,3 of her power.. including Shao Kahn and Raiden..
I was hoping Jacqui would be killed off in the intro cinematic, or even better, it was simply mentioned in an off-hand comment that she'd been killed sometime between MKX and MK 11, and she's never mentioned again. Even Jax, who returns as an NPC, shows no sign of mourning her, and just makes a throwaway comment like 'ohh yeah, her' when Johnny brings up the fact that Jax also once had a daughter.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I can't remember the interview, but I vaguely recall them saying that it'll be the "choose between two fighters" thing that Injustice2 did again.
Yep. The really exciting thing is, the more good guys you can lump together, the more space it opens up for the bad guys to have their own chapters and their own POV.

My only concern is that I hate not having an established canon. So when a character beats another character, I don't want it to be like "well we don't know who beat Shao Kahn, maybe it was Liu Kang or maybe it was Raiden." It's kind of a big deal.

mattteo

Noob
I hope they let us play as some of the bad guys, they always get screwed cause we only play through the good guys perspective and that kinda sucks
True.
A lot of newbies to MK just played the kombat kids cause they saw them being badasses in the story and they avoided Quan Chi or Reptile or Kano cause they were humiliated in story mode, you couldn't "be them" and they lost all the time. That induces something at subconscious level "I don't want to be that loser". That's why the villains were last in player rankings.

If they had chapters from the perspective of the villains, that wouldn't happen.

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I want Kung Jin, Takeda and Johnny to go on a quest to defeat Kronika and end up impaled through the arse on the same stick, Cage being at the bottom so the last thing he tastes is all the bloodsoaked feces of his trash tier buddies.

I want Mileena to return with a can in each hand: one of Whupass which she spreads evenly among Kotal and Erron, and one of Raid with which she fatalities Dvorah right back in the face.

I want to watch Jade murder Kenshi in the most brutal way possible.

Oh, and I'd love for story mode to make sense but I know it won't.

Killusion

Stream addict
My unrealistic wish is that every character had their own chapter. Would probably have to have separate good story and evil story though so yeah not happening.

My realistic wish: A lot of cameos.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
1: NO MORE 4 fights each character, let us fight with whomever is more logical during that part of the story, I don't want Stryker beating up Ermac or Kintaro (doesn't make sense to me) or Sonya beating up both Kitana and Jade.

2: Bad guys need chapters, if not, I'm hating this story again, and like mattteo said, the stupid new-age playing kids only play with the goodguys as they think those are the strong guys (because of the stupid system of Story Mode), giving the kombat kids and other stupid good guys more players in the result list, I'm sick of that! Give the bad guys a chapter, make them better because they ain't just jobbers.

3: No more Cage family drama, no more SOAP like storylines, don't make the Special Forces the main heroes.

4: Not too much jokes, I don't mind a few, but don't make it too comical, I hate that.

There is probably more, I'll post it later.

mattteo

Noob
Probably, though Kittelsen gives me more hope, I loved the comics! Boon and Vogel can only create stories that little kids come up with... Very bad!

Vogel wrote through the MK Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon period and that was some of the best writing in Mortal. Granted, there were also Jon Greenberg and Alexander Barrentine back then, so we don't know exactly who wrote what. All 3 appear to be more sidelined now, with Dom Cianciolo having comein since MK vs DC and did the work on MK9 (which was just MK1, 2 and 3 put together) and MKX. There has been a glarant decrease in writing (sorry Dominic, you just don't do it for me), but Kittelsen showed some magic with the MKX comic. I wish Vogel, Greenberg and Barrentine would have more central role.

mattteo

Noob
1: NO MORE 4 fights each character, let us fight with whomever is more logical during that part of the story, I don't want Stryker beating up Ermac or Kintaro (doesn't make sense to me) or Sonya beating up both Kitana and Jade.

2: Bad guys need chapters, if not, I'm hating this story again, and like mattteo said, the stupid new-age playing kids only play with the goodguys as they think those are the strong guys (because of the stupid system of Story Mode), giving the kombat kids and other stupid good guys more players in the result list, I'm sick of that! Give the bad guys a chapter, make them better because they ain't just jobbers.

3: No more Cage family drama, no more SOAP like storylines, don't make the Special Forces the main heroes.

4: Not too much jokes, I don't mind a few, but don't make it too comical, I hate that.

There is probably more, I'll post it later.

I 100% agree with this post. Especially numbers 2 and 3

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
True.
A lot of newbies to MK just played the kombat kids cause they saw them being badasses in the story and they avoided Quan Chi or Reptile or Kano cause they were humiliated in story mode, you couldn't "be them" and they lost all the time. That induces something at subconscious level "I don't want to be that loser". That's why the villains were last in player rankings.

If they had chapters from the perspective of the villains, that wouldn't happen.
Yup. There are sooo many people giving Kotal shit because he lost to Kung Jin.
But is story mode performance a factor for people when choosing a character? I just look which playstyle I enjoy, not who beat who in a story where powerscaling makes no sense anyways. If what you describe is true, that's kinda sad.