What's new

Story mode hopes and predictions

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Here is a prediction for the MK 11 story, which is also another problem I have with NRS' writing:

At one point the good guys will raid Liu Kang Khans and Kitana Khans fortress. Then there will be a scene where Jade comes storming in at them from the front, while yelling that she is the royal guard of the Khans. You know, like any other highly skilled and deadly assassin would do it. She will then get defeated by either Liu Kang or Kitana, whomever you choose and never be seen again.

And that's how it goes in NRS games. The characters get the advantage of a surprise attack, yet face their opponnents head on and ramble.
Same with Smoke, who comes storming in at Shang Tsung and Kano: "Ey! Ey! Put those guns down right now!"

... Instead of backstabbing them to death like a real ninja assassin would do it.
Raiden: "Did you challenge them to Kombat, like our traditions and rules want it?"
Smoke: "Why of course, Lord Raiden."
Raiden: "Well done, Smoke. Now let's hit the streets and find us some bitches."

You know something is off with your writing, when the biggest backstabber in the lore is the brutish warrior-sorceror-emperor-god.

Last edited:

mikeraskol

Beverly Hills High Class of 2010 Valedictorian
I mean, they are limited by the fact that it's a fighting game. You know - you fight the other person.

They could stand to be a little more creative, maybe Jade backstabs you and you start the match with 50% health or something like that. But in the end its going to be a 1 on 1 fight unless you want the story mode to be significantly uninteractive.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
The most important thing for me: GIVE EVERY CHARACTER A FREAKING STORY THIS TIME! NO more backstabbers, no more small stories, everybody should have some cool role and story in this. Not just the overused heroes and goodguys, they sicken me.

Subby Z

Noob
Do you guys think that part of the problem is there aren’t really side stories anymore?

I felt like Sub-Zero and Scorpion (others as well) used to have their own seperate quests outside of the main story which made the story more interesting as a whole. Now it feels like they’re all working toward the same goal and idk it just doesn’t seem as interesting. Still good just not AS good.

Idk maybe I’m wrong. Does anybody see where I’m coming from?

Espio

Kokomo
Do you guys think that part of the problem is there aren’t really side stories anymore?

I felt like Sub-Zero and Scorpion (others as well) used to have their own seperate quests outside of the main story which made the story more interesting as a whole. Now it feels like they’re all working toward the same goal and idk it just doesn’t seem as interesting. Still good just not AS good.

Idk maybe I’m wrong. Does anybody see where I’m coming from?

I dunno, MKX had side stories. Scorpion and Sub-Zero resolved their old feud in the MKX story while introducing a nice plot thread for the future with Frost possibly. That was definitely a side story because it was NOT essential to Shinnok's two arcs or the Outworld civil war. The story would have/could have followed its own flow without those plot threads.

Or Kenshi and Takeda planning to take on the Black Dragon to avenge Takeda's mother? Not essential to the plot of MKX at all and definitely very side story ish and a potential thread to pursue later.

Kung Jin coming out as gay is also a side story that is not at all essential to the plot, but it gives Kung Jin a potential side plot to push forward with in future games as he finds a way to be himself and find love or whatever they do with this revelation.

Point being is if you're following closely, there are definitely side stories that can lead to interesting plot developments in the future or are not key to the narrative of the main two plots of the game.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I dunno, MKX had side stories. Scorpion and Sub-Zero resolved their old feud in the MKX story while introducing a nice plot thread for the future with Frost possibly. That was definitely a side story because it was NOT essential to Shinnok's two arcs or the Outworld civil war. The story would have/could have followed its own flow without those plot threads.

Or Kenshi and Takeda planning to take on the Black Dragon to avenge Takeda's mother? Not essential to the plot of MKX at all and definitely very side story ish and a potential thread to pursue later.

Kung Jin coming out as gay is also a side story that is not at all essential to the plot, but it gives Kung Jin a potential side plot to push forward with in future games as he finds a way to be himself and find love or whatever they do with this revelation.

Point being is if you're following closely, there are definitely side stories that can lead to interesting plot developments in the future or are not key to the narrative of the main two plots of the game.
Hell you could make the case the entire Outworld civil war was an elaborate side story. From Kotal becoming Kahn, to Mileena being imprisoned and Baraka killed, to her being broken out by Tanya and Rain because apparently Mileena promised a free Edenia, to Kano playing both sides, etc.

LeoMK29

Noob
I don’t see how there aren’t any NPCs. Like Takeda, Kung Jin, Etc. How can they not be included in the story even if they aren’t on the roster.

Also do the things they do in the past affect the future timeline? Like what is Johnny and Sonya never get together, would Cassie cease to exist? And what is Mileena never gets made by Shang Tsung? So many questions.

Also I think Frost might do something in the past timeline or current one to reignite a feud with the Shiri Ryu or however you spell that lmao I feel like she might get power hungry, maybe even try to take out Sub Zero.

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
Hell you could make the case the entire Outworld civil war was an elaborate side story. From Kotal becoming Kahn, to Mileena being imprisoned and Baraka killed, to her being broken out by Tanya and Rain because apparently Mileena promised a free Edenia, to Kano playing both sides, etc.
A very valid supporting point my dear Watson.

P.S. I love you avatar <3.

Hey with the time shenanigans going on you guys think they'll only go back in time or you think theres a possibility of some future timelines being explored. Ithink it would be cool to see like future versions of the kombat kids.

Hope:
"Shaolin Monks" style, co-op story mode, where any character (not just default, story specific ones) can be used on "NG+" play-throughs, and a mode that is directly tied to unlocking locked in-game content (imbuing replay value), and that's directly relative to the character/s being used (*Scorp play = Scorp content--period).

Prediction:
Cut-scene and button prompt orgiastic feast for the casuals' senses, where players are forced to endure playing as characters that make them sick to their stomachs... over and over and... against insulting "I beat you Flawless, now I'll just stand here and let you auto-erotically humour your scrub self with my inanimate, training dummy self... [insert mordant Shao Kahn laugh]" bot scripts -- a one-play wonder that, at least (hopefully), will allow for its entire "movie" folder to be deleted, subsequent to completion--saving gigablogs of otherwise wasted HDD space (...of which all can be watched on YouTube, days before paying players even get their games -- thanks to pirates who cracked the performance-handicapping Den*vo -- that they then get to avoid, while sucker consumers flood fora complaining about).

...And this :l:d:r:fp kills the casual.

:DOGE

Last edited:

mikeraskol

Beverly Hills High Class of 2010 Valedictorian

Not sure if this has been seen or mentioned (I haven't seen it anywhere), but if you go to 6:50 in this video, Raiden says to Scorpion in the intro "a dire threat emerges from Chaosrealm."

Just sayin.

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
I kinda want to see a Cyber Jax. Could give Jaqcui some good story line potential.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
She's slightly different - do you remember the Arachnotrons from DOOM, the smaller spider-like monsters? Vera will be like that: an eight-legged cybernetic machine with a woman's head.
Make that happen please! My favorite character! What are her fighting styles and moves!?!? Tell me FREAKING more!!!!! :-p Vera, I waited for that character like, all my life! OMFG!

vapid

cyber warlord
Still better than a guest, right?!
I'm indifferent to guests as I won't buy any of them anyway, but if Frost really is being redesigned as a cyborg then I'm curious to see how and why. Also wonder how Frost fans would react to such news.

I must say, I do think it's incredibly lazy to jump from Sub-Zero being cyberized to Frost suffering the same fate. Would NRS really do that?

trufenix

bye felicia
I must say, I do think it's incredibly lazy to jump from Sub-Zero being cyberized to Frost suffering the same fate. Would NRS really do that?
Honestly? As an amateur writer, I cannot imagine the pressure the NRS character / story designers must feel to figure out which characters and which versions of said characters are the ones people actually want. When you hear people beating a drum really hard for "classic" characters return, but then get raked over the coals for being too changed (D'vorah / Scarlet) or too not changed (Sub / Kano). . . I just don't know.

I would assume the reason we're doing this sort of time travel dream match cross over story line is so that we can either make some people happy with some characters they're trying to say goodbye to, or get serious about a "reboot" again. I don't think anyone at NRS wants to "re-do" old plots, so anybody who is holding out for NRS to just do Onaga or Shujinko or Chaosrealm again the same way is probably not gonna get it. The one constant across MK9/X/11s plot seems to be Raiden changed things, so I suspect, even if old characters are coming back to the series, they're going to be in newer ways, like still being Revenants or just being a prop for some other characters story.

I don't think the "Frost" that everybody knows and loves is coming back, not without some major changes to distinguish her from both new Sub-Zero and old Frost. Is that turning her into a cyber? You make an excellent case.

Based on my 30 year history with the series, I think the only actual safe characters from game to game are Scorpion and Sub Zero. If Quan Chi somehow makes it back, I'll add him to that list cause boy they seem to love him. I think anything else is possible with literally anyone else and I think the more people clamor for characters to return, the more likely it is when they do NRS is gonna do something radical with them.