What's new

Tech Stop thinking Shazam is bad

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Shazam is a devastating character when he gets in. Mmmmmmmmmyeah, Superman, Deathstroke, Aquaman, and Black Adam reaaaaally don't let Shazam do anything unless you time his teleport just right. His dashes are fine, yeah, but not when Low Shot into Quick Shot is presented towards him, or MB'd Lightning Strike happens(the funniest thing about this move is the fact that it hits you if you attempt to jump it, too). I agree that he doesn't need a million and 2 buffs, but maybe just extending the period of time his Advancing/Eluding Mercury's projectile invincibility or full invincibility.

Also, Red Reaper's right, the Cage wakeup just ignores everything in that MU, including the jump ins n stuff. Shazam isn't bad but dear god I doubt the boy is that great (i
really hope i get to eat these words in the future).
i dont really think shazam vs ds is that free for ds. probably like 6-4 but not unwinnable. he will win almost every air to air extchange, he can backdash out of post f3 on block mixups, its really hard to get any okizeme off of him from wakeup tele and its hard to punish it. i mean yeah you can delay guns but you are giving him space if you let him block because you can't really react to the teleport and punish because it has very few recovery frames. also if you block low guns you get a free trait activation. i wouldn't do grounded teleports against ds, just block and dash forward, you get a shit ton of space by doing that. its just ou have to play the matchup patiently because although DS can wakeup out of you're oki, his wakeups are all negative, so you can really discourage him from wanting to wake up. however, ds doesn't really need meter for his combos he will force a lot of chip on you and maybe some extra dammy if you can't dash ex guns on reaction. its a matchup i played out a shit ton with @Indecisive and i just really think other shazam players are getting too reckless. you have to consider, ds only has 3 moves that give him plus frames, which are f3 (+10), d2 (+1) and f23 (+9), so most of the time, shazam has the advantage after blocking something from ds. also shazam's backdash range is much longer than ds's forward dash range so he can backdash after blocking any of his plus frame moves and he would be forced to dash in for a mixup when he normally can just go with buttons, so you can bait him into dashing forward and pop him with something. shazam have unsafe 50/50s but you can turn that into some pretty good damage given resources. yeah sure you need meter, but i dont feel like shazam builds meter particularly slow. also i feel like shazam's trait is a much unexplored tool that he has. he gets some serious damage off that shit and the chip is stupid.

with that being said, i think shazam is a little better that people are giving him credit for but hes not really that great of a character in the end. i think every character is tournament viable to an extent but will have to hold that 7-3 for a character or 2. 6-4s are still winnable in the end. 7-3s you have to be on some real master shit to beat someone who really knows what they're doing in the matchup and plays that character at a high level. the only character i have in question is joker but thats mostly because i haven't seen very many people play him in tournament. all i know is if im playing joker online, no matter how well i learn the matchup i dont think ill ever be able to block any of his shit.every other character ive seen payed at a relatively high level at least and it looks like they can still compete.

Last edited:

ZOOM

Noob
R u attending CEO again
I've never Attended CEO and there is no proof of that, that was a false Claim. The only tournament i've been to was TNS and I got 3rd.

And I am still unsure right now if I will attend CEO because I have to get infusions every 5 weeks and if its within a 3 day time period of that i wont be able to go.

ZOOM

Noob
that was pre patch which @FOREVER KING could agree on, i've said it to him that its 5 - 5 now.
pre patch it was also 5-5. But Can you please stop tagging me? i'm trying not to talk to you but you keep quoting/tagging me, I want nothing to do with you, go your seperate ways. If you keep on going you're just going to make yourself look stupid, not me. this is teh 9th time I've asked you to leave me alone, so do it.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
you can backdash after the first 2 of shazaam's 22 mix ups its simular to backdashing GL's b13 just thought i'd throw that in there...
shazam still has stuff to punish people from backdashing. sure its unsafe but it stops people from backdashing all your shit and not caring. you also get a knockdown out of it which isn't bad. im pretty sure you can activate trait after the knockdown from a mb torpedo.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
pre patch it was also 5-5. But Can you please stop tagging me? i'm trying not to talk to you but you keep quoting/tagging me, I want nothing to do with you, go your seperate ways. If you keep on going you're just going to make yourself look stupid, not me. this is teh 9th time I've asked you to leave me alone, so do it.
i will leave you alone when you accept the following.

$5 MM at CEO 2014 FT5 flash mirror lock. someone can stream if they want, just say yes and i will not speak to you until CEO, how's that?

daddydab32ho

KANO, KANO, KAY-NOOOOOO , KANO (DRAKES VOICE)
shazam still has stuff to punish people from backdashing. sure its unsafe but it stops people from backdashing all your shit and not caring. you also get a knockdown out of it which isn't bad. im pretty sure you can activate trait after the knockdown from a mb torpedo.
yah thats true, i agree with you on that, just as same as GL able to punish people forbackdashing after his B1,... its all a META game ...

TheBoyBlunder

They love my Grayson
One of NW's few match ups he flexes his muscle in. NW flipkick set ups on knockdown or corner set ups after knockdown are eliminated because of Shazam's teleport, but the neutral game is all Nightwing. If the NW player understands the Shazam options after B2, respect Shazam's J2 and D2, recognize the different options Shazam can utilize his command grab from and don't be a wake up mad man, it's really all in NW's favor.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
yah thats true, i agree with you on that, just as same as GL able to punish people forbackdashing after his B1,... its all a META game ...
i disagree. for GL its a much worse case. b1 is by far the fastest button that reaches that far and is low. if it was 100% safe and you coun't backdash it would be one of the more obnoxious buttons in the game. shazam has shit that can get him into command grab other than that. no other character in the game has a low that fast that reaches out that far.

daddydab32ho

KANO, KANO, KAY-NOOOOOO , KANO (DRAKES VOICE)
BUT EITHER WAY BOTH CHARACTERS CAN PUNISH YOU FOR ATTEMPTING TO BACKDASH THEIR MIX UPS EITHER WAY RIGHT? REGARDLESS OFF THE OPPOTUNITIES AND OR DAMAGE OR SET UPS AFTER CORRECT?