What's new

Stop Thinking in Absolutes

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Yes, Ares has been confirmed to be nerfed. His b23 string will now be able to be techrolled so his "reset" becomes a 50/50 for both you and the opponent. This was confirmed somewhere in a thread by colt
Just to clarify, it's ALREADY a 50/50** for 99% of the cast. The nerf makes it much less than 50% chance that Ares will guess correctly on the reset.

(**Actually it's not even a real 50/50, as the opponent can either get out of the reset clean or you just don't do the reset at all and then punish their wake-up attack...if it's one of the ones Ares can even punish)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I agree with the no absolutes line of reasoning. That's even true for games that have been out for years. I don't think we should discourage discussion about what people think is good or not good though. We need people stating what they think is OP or good so we can find ways to beat it or defend against it. Likewise we need to discuss what's not so good so we can try and improve it or realize certain things won't work. The problem is in these discussions, some people are thinking in absolutes like you say Tom Brady. If someone says they think a MU is bad and is 4-6, don't take that as how it actually is, just take as information. That's how it should always be though, not just early in a games life. There's no problem with discussing the game, but there is a problem in saying for certain someone is weak, is too strong, has a lot of bad MU's, has a lot of good MU's, etc. That much cannot be confirmed this early on in the games life.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Tom, get out of here with this politically correct nonsense.

You played Sub Zero, a character every online player complained about in the beginning. Not surprisingly, Sub Zero was nerfed like 15 times before he became a punching bag for the top tier characters.

The same could and most likely will happen to Batman, Black Adam, Doomsday, Deathstroke, etc. etc. and we will have another imbalanced game when it is all said and done. People have a right to speak out.

Besides, NRS does not listen to rationale arguments. They listen to complaints and tears.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
I miss when games couldn't be patched post release. It's weird, but for a long time people played the game that was given to them instead of asking for a different one...
Uh no, actually we played the game for a week, learned that it was pointless because only one or two characters were viable, then moved on to a less broken game.

Uh no, actually we played the game for a week, learned that it was pointless because only one or two characters were viable, then moved on to a less broken game.
Almost twenty years of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo wants to have a word with you muhfuggahaz...

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
Yeah, as well as LOADS of arcade games...
Not everyone was so spoiled as a child that we just threw games away

*looks at recent and past ST tournament results* Seems like more than one character to me.
Are you dumb? That is a result of 20 years of playing the game. If the game was discarded because weak people all unanimously decided on the onset that 0.Sagat, Vega, Boxer were too cheap/broken/spammy/scrubby/babyzone/whatever dumb excuse than the game would have never evolved.

Whackojack

Noob Saibot is BACK!
Are you dumb? That is a result of 20 years of playing the game. If the game was discarded because weak people all unanimously decided on the onset that 0.Sagat, Vega, Boxer were too cheap/broken/spammy/scrubby/babyzone/whatever dumb excuse than the game would have never evolved.
This guy is a moron, I would stop arguing with him. Anyone who argues with "this is my opinion and I'm treating as an all encompassing fact" doesn't deserve more than one response haha

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
So, we're to the point of bringing up games that weren't patchable due to technological restraints? Tell me again how many versions of SF2 and SF3 were released?

cyke_out

Noob
So, we're to the point of bringing up games that weren't patchable due to technological restraints? Tell me again how many versions of SF2 and SF3 were released?
Sure, right after you tell me how many patches MvC2 had during it's 10 year tournament game life, and tell me how drastic the tier lists look from the beginning and the end of the game.

xWildx

Sure, right after you tell me how many patches MvC2 had during it's 10 year tournament game life, and tell me how drastic the tier lists look from the beginning and the end of the game.
So... your argument is to bring up MvC2 which has been acceptably broken for... over 10 years, you say?

Jack White

The Clown Prince of Crime
I do agree with it but sometimes there's some really obvious things. Like, why the hell does freaking Aquaman need a meterless combo breaker? He already has so many great tools and is strong on his own, a free combo breaker is just stupid.

Also, Harley and Joker's traits are terribad. Harley is more obviously bad, but Joker's is just terrible on a conceptual level. He has a weaker and slower parry than Batman that gives him a minor boost that pointlessly stacks since it doesn't last long enough to justify such a mechanic.

These are some of the only things in this game that are in obvious need of adjustments. I know the story behind Joker's trait, but how the hell did Harley's make it past testing?

cyke_out

Noob
So... your argument is to bring up MvC2 which has been acceptably broken for... over 10 years, you say?
My argument is that games can change over the years without developer interference. people can learn and adapt and strategies and changes grow and evolve. The percieved thought of what characters were good in the early life cycle compared to the later stages of the game is drastically different.

let the game breathe and not beg for handouts.

xWildx

My argument is that games can change over the years without developer interference. people can learn and adapt and strategies and changes grow and evolve. The percieved thought of what characters were good in the early life cycle compared to the later stages of the game is drastically different.

let the game breathe and not beg for handouts.
My point wasn't to beg for handouts. It was to point out that even back in the day, competitive fighters had new releases featuring minor tweaks and gameplay adjustments. I agree that we should let the game breathe... minus the input delay. Which I will bring up everywhere I post until I die.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I think the people calling out for nerfs are never gonna be happy with the game. If you don't spend the time with your character to learn to counter an opponents strategy I have news for you. Post patch those same players will be back in training mode learning new strategies to make you complain about how broken the game is.

Vagrant

Noob
Everybody please keep complaining and debating buff/nerf ideas.

The more time you guys spend doing that. The less time your spending playing and getting better. Which means easy tourney matches for me. By all means. Complain away!

zoning is strong in this game
batman is top tier
anti-airing is weak in this game
killer frosts slide is broken

this game sucks