What's new

Steam database achievements - Roster speculation

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
And with Mileena being DLC, that’s probably not going to happen. A while back, Boon(?) said he doesn’t believe in making a character DLC if they were in the main roster in the previous game, as well as making a character DLC if they were DLC in the previous game. And if I recall correctly, there hasn’t been a DLC character who was a main/dlc character in a previous installment (I don’t count triborg). So with the case with Mileena, either she’s in the main roster or she’s not in the game most likely.
I'd count Triborg as Sektor/Cyrax/Smoke/Cyber-Subz. It's a distinction without a difference.

I mean, think about the alternative. You're not just saying a hard no to Mileena, you're also saying no to Jax, Kenshi, Takeda, Reptile, Ermac, Quan Chi, Shinnok, Goro, Ferra/Torr, Kung Jin, Bo'Rai Cho, Tanya if the leak is to be believed. There won't even be 6 MK characters left to make DLC out of!

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I'd count Triborg as Sektor/Cyrax/Smoke/Cyber-Subz. It's a distinction without a difference.

I mean, think about the alternative. You're not just saying a hard no to Mileena, you're also saying no to Jax, Kenshi, Takeda, Reptile, Ermac, Quan Chi, Shinnok, Goro, Ferra/Torr, Kung Jin, Bo'Rai Cho, Tanya if the leak is to be believed. There won't even be 6 MK characters left to make DLC out of!
Tanya in the leak? What leak?

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
And with Mileena being DLC, that’s probably not going to happen. A while back, Boon(?) said he doesn’t believe in making a character DLC if they were in the main roster in the previous game, as well as making a character DLC if they were DLC in the previous game. And if I recall correctly, there hasn’t been a DLC character who was a main/dlc character in a previous installment (I don’t count triborg). So with the case with Mileena, either she’s in the main roster or she’s not in the game most likely.
For things like that, it's not impossible that he changes his opinion on something he said a while back. If a statement was several years and games ago, who knows. For example he once said they wouldn't have fightable NPCs anymore, yet Kronika is likely not playable. Sure, she's a boss and all, so not directly comparable. I'm just saying, if the REALLY want a charakter to be in the game, they can always make an exception.

We tend to take everything Boon said as set and stone, but he's also just human after all. If they don't do DLC from the previous game, Reptile and Ermac, Jax, Kensi etc. would be out as well. And I'm not convinced that they and Mileena all sit out.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Is this just supposed to be a generic ninja?
When this was first discovered, consensus was yes. Colorwise, it would be Smoke. But there's no other distinct features, such as his hair, a bit of smoke or whatever. I'd say this is comparable to the logo of the kombat kast, which really just is a generic ninja.

vapid

cyber warlord
I would like to know this as well lol. It's definitely someone, Smoke? Are we getting Noob/Smoke? Or is it just Noob fucking around lookin all (hu)manly and shit.
I definitely don't think it's Noob, and there's a distinct lack of smoke for it to actually be Smoke... but it could be.

Hmm... =/

vapid

cyber warlord
I guess it could be, but I don't think the grey has enough emphasis. Something about him looks a bit too generic, don't you agree?

Also, I really don't think we're going to get Rain, Noob and Smoke on the base roster. I mean I'd love it if that was the case; throw in Fujin and you have four reasons for me to play, but I think if Rain and Noob are in (which seems likely given those menu images/hints) then I think Smoke will end up as DLC some way down the line.

SinkFla

Noob
I guess it could be, but I don't think the grey has enough emphasis. Something about him looks a bit too generic, don't you agree?

Also, I really don't think we're going to get Rain, Noob and Smoke on the base roster. I mean I'd love it if that was the case; throw in Fujin and you have four reasons for me to play, but I think if Rain and Noob are in (which seems likely given those menu images/hints) then I think Smoke will end up as DLC some way down the line.
See I would think Smoke would be base roster over Noob (despite what the rumors are) simply because Triborg was DLC for MKX, and while Triborg and Smoke are technically different... T-Borg's Smoke variation played like...well Smoke? Of course this would be a roundabout way of breaking their own rule of not making the same characters DLC for consecutive games but it would also be kinda shitty to do so IMO. I'm honestly starting to think we are getting Noob/Smoke as one character.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
But is there really any evidence for Smoke at all? It could theoretically be him on the picture, sure, but I think a generic ninja is much more likely. The pictures of Rain and Noob have been very detailed, having the ponytail and specific attire or the Noob's mask and a shadow/the actual pose with the shadow in the tower's picture. There's no distinctive feature on this pic, besides the color grey. I'd love Smoke to be in the game, but do we have anything other than this picture?

RothVI

d2 Spammer
Why would they grey it out when highlighted, though? None of the others are like that - you can see the purple and gold on Rain, for example.
Idk, shaders? They wouldn't give Smoke the same costume as Scorpion though.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Why would they grey it out when highlighted, though? None of the others are like that - you can see the purple and gold on Rain, for example.
Rain is supposed to be a specific character, thus the features. I'd say this one is supposed to be generic. Thinking about this, it's on the menu point for characters. So rather than representing a specific character, it should maybe stand for characters of Mortal Kombat in general. A blank pallet swap ninja without distinctive features or a color would be a good fit for that. The best "neutral" image for a MK character possibly.

Scyther

Mortal Kombat-phile
I would like to know this as well lol. It's definitely someone, Smoke? Are we getting Noob/Smoke? Or is it just Noob fucking around lookin all (hu)manly and shit.
My theory is that it really is just a generic ninja. The reasoning behind this line of thought is that the ninja is on the "Characters" selection screen, which correct me if I'm wrong, is where we'll be going to kustomize characters. Thus, having a generic ninja as the face of that select screen is akin to having a "blank figure or face", like a baseline to then build upon.

Putting a specific character on the character kustomization select screen doesn't make sense imo, since that mode encompasses "all characters" and is specifically about altering costume traits.

I don’t think we’re gonna see any MKX characters show up as DLC in MK11. That’s kinda shady and just not NRS’s style.
Yeah this is a thing. Back before MKX, many figured big trilogy icons that didn't make the cut would surely be in the Kombat Pack, but instead of Cyrax and Smoke we got Tanya and Tremor. With DLC, NRS seems to bank on the guests for sales, opening up the other spots to highlight underdogs or introduce new characters. Or perhaps it's the principle of not wanting to hide series staples behind a paywall. With that logic, we're more likely to get Stryker and Reiko than Reptile and Mileena or whatever people are guessing. But this concept can change, especially if they intend this game to be tailored with 'fan favorites.'

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
You basically just corrected yourself lol. Yea she wasn’t in those games in the beginning but she was in eventually.

So my statement still stands on her never missing a game. Never said she was the main roster of every game.
She was never in Deception, sir. You know this.