What's new

General/Other - Special Forces Stealth Special Forces Nerf!!!

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Hi,

So nothing on the frame data for special forces seems to have changed at all. However, pre-patch off of a 2134 juggle combo ending you could guarantee a drone call and a drone special safely against all wake-ups.

Trying this now it seems impossible. The drone call is still safe, but the drone special get's punished.

Maybe before patch call drone was actuall 2in1 with drone specials and thats maybe been removed or maybe I'm getting my timing wrong for some reason...

This is a fairly big nerf because it slows downher pressure by not being guaranteed a homing missile on knoeckdown and gimmicks like b14~call~block+2 won't be possible and her armour braking and pressure in the corner gone.

@Ninequads93 and any other dronya players I can't remeber

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I played today, and I can't quite put my finger on what exactly changed.

I did notice that after a drone summon I was pressing the drone attack and nothing was coming out. And this was very much a timing I had in muscle memory.

Either I've been playing too much KI and my timing was janked, or there's a built in time between calling the drone and using a drone attack that is longer than it once was.

Drone call and attack startup feels the same, but it definitely feels like I have to wait a bit longer after the initial call to get it to fire. Can't say I'm sure of it though.

Would be nice if we had official info on this from NRS.
That's exactly it. I'm assuming it was a 2in1 and now it's not. All of the frame data is exactly the same. Even activating in the neutral it has a huge negative effect on space control as it's much easier for the opponent to run up to you before you get a chance to activate homing missile.
I don't think it's a timer effect, I think you just have to wait for all of the recovery frames of call drone before being able to activate a special, whereas before it was 2in1.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Drone call into drone special has never been a 2 in 1. The timing is still the same, there's no difference for me. I'm pretty sure this is just placebo lol

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
This variation been underlook at by the MK team. Sonya SP needs a serious buff to it. I always choose covert ops as my main Sonya.

colby4898

Drone call into drone special has never been a 2 in 1. The timing is still the same, there's no difference for me. I'm pretty sure this is just placebo lol
Maybe it wasn't a 2in1 that was just a theory. But there is 100% a different. You can no longer do a drone special immediately after summoning drone... but you are making me doubt myself lol
Previously I could easily get a guaranteed homing missile off of a 2134. In the video sometimes the drone special wont come out because I do it to early, but you see the input. Other times when the special does come out I get punished. I don't know why all of a sudden I wouldnt be able to do it if there was no change...

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
What are some good strings to cancel into drone call and also homing shot? I want to be able to use this varation more efficiently.

Did some testing.

Sonya can throw a punch after summoning a drone just as fast as she can call a drone shot. So no difference there.

It could just be a Paulo's Magic Placebo, but I'm fairly certain that before I could get a drone call plus homing shot after b33212, and I just went into practice and can punish it with Sub Zero's wakeup slide.

But yeah, I have no way to prove there's a difference- no concrete way to test it really without having access to an unpatched console or something.

Found a post of mine a long time before the patch

http://testyourmight.com/threads/sonya-blade-combo-thread.50013/page-17#post-1939932

So if nothing's changed I must have been wrong then.

From November:

The extra 3% isn't worth it anyway with the BF4 ender. 2134 gives you a free drone AND a free homing shot. Ring blast while they wait because they have to block the homing shot and that's a guaranteed extra 4% already, so that 2134 is really netting you more damage anyway,

Youphemism

Well nothing's changed for me so I don't know what's going on with you guys lol. Someone with good internet that will be able to redownload the patch quickly should test it out and see if there's been something changed. Remove the patch and test it with the previous version, Record the setup on both versions and then we'll compare the videos. I'm pretty sure it's just placebo from the patch but I could be wrong, we'll see.

Jolt

Uprise
Well nothing's changed for me so I don't know what's going on with you guys lol. Someone with good internet that will be able to redownload the patch quickly should test it out and see if there's been something changed. Remove the patch and test it with the previous version, Record the setup on both versions and then we'll compare the videos. I'm pretty sure it's just placebo from the patch but I could be wrong, we'll see.
I'm usually right with you, but this time I think you're wrong lol. I'll try to get a video of myself calling drone into homing missile on PC and then another on PS4 with the latest patch. Will probably take a while, but we'll see

colby4898

This is really strange. Do you think you could make a video of ending a combo in 2134~drone call~missile with reptile on ex slide wakeup and block it, cos I don't think I'll believe it unless I can do it or see it. And I can't do it lol

Youphemism

I'm usually right with you, but this time I think you're wrong lol. I'll try to get a video of myself calling drone into homing missile on PC and then another on PS4 with the latest patch. Will probably take a while, but we'll see
You're going onto PC?

Special Forces Sonya community, a moment of silence for our fallen comrade MyronJ.

Jolt

Uprise
Very quick and dirty video incoming. You should be able to see the difference on just a drone call, but just in case I did some super scrubby combos.

General note: I never realized how laggy my TV was until I just played on my PC monitor again lol. Either way, the difference in timing is very noticeable.

In the PC video, I can make the drone act as soon as it appears. On the PS4 version, if I don't delay my input Sonya will only block. During this time, I COULD input normals, probably even regular specials. I CAN NOT control the drone though

Jolt

Uprise

Alright. So. I apologize for the PC quality, but I think it's enough to tell.

In the previous MKX builds, you could make the drone attack AS SOON AS the blue light (where the drone spawns) flashed. It would then proceed to attack as commanded. With *any* drone special.

In the current build, you have to wait significantly later, until the drone is fully formed.

This DOES NOT depend on any combos and is evident in the neutral.

Hopefully someone else with both versions (or who knows what I'm talking about) can back me up so I don't have to re-record lol. Literally just wanted to get it done as quick as possible so sorry for absolute zero quality

I'd help but I'm not sure how I can roll back to the previous version.

I own the game as a digital download so I'm pretty sure it would just give me the newest version each time I re-download.

Jolt

Uprise
I'd help but I'm not sure how I can roll back to the previous version.

I own the game as a digital download so I'm pretty sure it would just give me the newest version each time I re-download.
Haha it's no big deal. If there are still non believers I can record a better video. I could even count frames. I just don't think it's necessary

Youphemism

Alright. So. I apologize for the PC quality, but I think it's enough to tell.

In the previous MKX builds, you could make the drone attack AS SOON AS the blue light (where the drone spawns) flashed. It would then proceed to attack as commanded. With *any* drone special.

In the current build, you have to wait significantly later, until the drone is fully formed.

This DOES NOT depend on any combos and is evident in the neutral.

Hopefully someone else with both versions (or who knows what I'm talking about) can back me up so I don't have to re-record lol. Literally just wanted to get it done as quick as possible so sorry for absolute zero quality
You did it at 54 seconds in and it worked lol. Also it's never been a 2 in 1, just timed after the recovery of drone :p

BUT in saying that I did notice something odd. I think the drone attacks might actually have a few more frames of recovery, not the drone itself. Can you check the frame data for differences?