What's new

STB Shujinkydink vs Altaire FT5 Recorded March 31st

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
To be fair, I don't think Altaire knows the Quan Chi matchup at all.

He's punishing the teleport with 3,4 when he could go for 30+% with 2,1, ice, ball BnB. He also doesn't seem to know that Quan is a disadvantage on a whiffed teleport.
He didn't parry b3, 2+1. He didn't parry the 2,1,2 rune trap, among other things.

Mr. Sir. You cannot parry the runetrap. I know what you are reffering to tho. If i dash after a connected skydrop then yes, you can parry that. but I dont have to dash to connect 212. If I hit it I can go right into it.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Mr. Sir. You cannot parry the runetrap. I know what you are reffering to tho. If i dash after a connected skydrop then yes, you can parry that. but I dont have to dash to connect 212. If I hit it I can go right into it.
Remember when we swore that you couldn't and Tom schooled us? Ahh the good old days.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Except, y'know, no one really thinks that. People were running around saying that was an 8-2 matchup when the game dropped, which is just as stupid as saying that Cyber Sub vs. Shang is a 9-1. Cyber Sub beats Quan 6-4, and only, ONLY because Quan has no answer to the divekicks and no way to wake up without spending meter. I'm blown away by the fact that anyone would immediately assume any matchup is 8-2 or 9-1, when even 7-3 is a stretch of the imagination. I played Cyber Sub vs. Kabal for WEEKS before I assumed it was really that bad.

For anyone wondering why I didn't punish the teleport with 2 1: This was the first time I've played offline since November. I had all sorts of fucked up inputs, which should be blatantly obvious from the footage, so I just went for the easier punish for the sake of consistency. My timing was WAY the hell off, so I didn't even attempt to do anything that required precise inputs. It's also the reason I didn't even attempt to punish B3 1+2, nevermind that I was nervous as fuck.

I'm just going to re-post what I said about this in another thread:

About my FT5 with Dink, there's really not much to say about it. If he was still Canada Cup Dink, I would've blown him the fuck up, but he's obviously done a lot of leveling up since then. He's playing smarter, his Quan Chi is much more complete, and most importantly, his fundamentals went from total poop to being pretty damn solid overall. I really can't make any excuses; I just was not prepared for his Quan. I practiced the matchup with J360 and Zombie Penguin, both of whom are PHENOMENAL Quan players, but the problem is that they just don't play him like Dink does. It'd be kind of like playing 16 Bit or Mr. Mileena to practice for Crazy Dominican: Those guys play Kitana so differently from CD that they're just as well to be playing another character, and what works against them may not necessarily work against him. I had all these setups for Dink that I just got no opportunity to use, simply because I was unprepared for his style of play.

Again, I have no excuses. I got caught off guard, and I got outplayed. I'm going to keep practicing with Dink wherever I get the chance, and I think once I get a feel for him, I can run it back. We'll see.

There you have it. Feel free to blow me up now.
The fact that you lost without excuses makes me respect you 100x tenfold.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Your words, they are like oil on water.

Big words dont make one intelligent.
Neither does writing a 5 page book report about a joke i made; Ill let that one slide.
But then again, neither does talking shit and then losing a 5-1 set.
Ok I like you sage but you kinda need to stop. He wasnt picking at u specifically just that when mk9 was release said it was an 8-2 MU. He also wasn't talking shit about loosing. he just admitted tht he lost b/c he hasnt play offline since nov and tht Dinks quan is COMPLETELY different from J360's quan. He said he wasn't prepared and he lost b/c of it and said that dink is a talented player.

Just please stop b/c usually altaire picks on u for something u post but this time ur picking at him. If you don't like it then why are u doing it to him.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

back on topic

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
You raise an interesting point, though. Shit talking Dink clearly didn't work out so well for me. Maybe I should resort to shit talking you instead, because god knows your shitty Noob is never going to be anywhere even close to my level.
Hold the fuck up, girl.
As i recall from our one and only set, you barely overcame me in our first few matches.
And then i went 4 straight, losing only one round.

And that was when i was still an underling, with only Noob Saibot filling my pockets.

Youre going to personally insult me over a video game? Stay classy, Altaire.
Better yet, stay away from idiotic, condescending assumptions. Itll save you one day.
Plus, itll cost slightly less energy than it would to be an asshole.
Why waste what you already dont have: an effect on anyone here?

Become a lawyer for me!

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Hold the fuck up, girl.
As i recall from our one and only set, you barely overcame me in our first few matches.
And then i went 4 straight, losing only one round.

And that was when i was still an underling, with only Noob Saibot filling my pockets.

Youre going to personally insult me over a video game? Stay classy, Altaire.
Better yet, stay away from idiotic, condescending assumptions. Itll save you one day.
Plus, itll cost slightly less energy than it would to be an asshole.
Why waste what you already dont have: an effect on anyone here?

PS: My poetry runs circles around your presumptuous attitude.

Become a lawyer for me!
yet again not to call u out.

MK9 netplay + altaires canada connection + ur connection= god tier noob saibot

not saying ur not good just remember noob on netplay is hard to react to.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Can someone answer for me the difference between quan's "rune trap" then and post patch? It still doesn't look like you can escape it, or did they give it back?

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Rune trap is inescapable if done correctly, People need to understand this, I don't know why they dont.
Hey hey hey, who would've thought? looks like you two are right. I could only parry it 1/5 times on training mode. And that's probably due to MK9's collision boxes "breathing".
That's weird, I would've never guessed.

Flagg

Noob
Well, if you have enough for breaker you can always let go of block and use a breaker during the 212 part of a rune trap, but I only watched a couple of the fights and Altaire never looked like he had enough for breakers on most occasions.

I know Altaire isn't the most popular person at times, but it's a shame some people would use this thread as an excuse to rail on him.

Fighting Quan Chi is a bit like fighting Cyrax, you have to be aware of how much meter the Quan player has and potentially save meter for a breaker.

Altaire

Noob
Well, if you have enough for breaker you can always let go of block and use a breaker during the 212 part of a rune trap, but I only watched a couple of the fights and Altaire never looked like he had enough for breakers on most occasions.

I know Altaire isn't the most popular person at times, but it's a shame some people would use this thread as an excuse to rail on him.

Fighting Quan Chi is a bit like fighting Cyrax, you have to be aware of how much meter the Quan player has and potentially save meter for a breaker.
Rest assured, I am fucking TERRIBLE at fighting Quan Chi. That character just fucks with my head. He's the only character in the game who demands that you approach him in a completely different manner. He defies the ground rules of the game, so he just doesn't work the same way as any other character, which means you need a completely different set of expectations for that matchup.

Before anyone goes there, no, I'm not saying it's necessarily a "bad" thing that Quan defies the rules of the game. The rune trap is pretty fucking dirty, but I don't think it's necessarily game breaking. Quan Chi has yet to pose a threat to the overall balance of the game and he STILL doesn't have a whole lot of favorable matchups, so it can't be that bad. All I mean to say is that he's not bound to the same limitations as other characters are, which changes the metagame completely whenever he's on the screen. I'm not conditioned to that at all, so he still throws me off.

I'm going to see about making it up that way again for more casuals with Dink and Jimmy, so hopefully, I'll figure out what the hell to do against Quan Chi with a little more time to practice the matchup. If I can get him down before Toryuken, I'll be happy.

Espio

Kokomo
These matches were nice, I particularly like that they were with characters we don't see everytime we watch a stream and/or tournament.

Great show by both players and good sportsmanship as well. I love these fun little casual streams.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Aww. Dink and Altaire buried the hatchet. That's cool :).

And as someone who loves to ramble, I fully support Altaire's essay post.
It is a forum after all, I like having a lot to read and hold my attention.

The Rune Trap: In the Top 3 You're Gonna Die setups in MK9? I think so.