What's new

STB Shujinkydink vs Altaire FT5 Recorded March 31st

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Ok someone clear this up for me. Does quan have his coveted rune trap back again?

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
To be fair, I don't think Altaire knows the Quan Chi matchup at all.

He's punishing the teleport with 3,4 when he could go for 30+% with 2,1, ice, ball BnB. He also doesn't seem to know that Quan is a disadvantage on a whiffed teleport.
He didn't parry b3, 2+1. He didn't parry the 2,1,2 rune trap, among other things.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
To be fair, I don't think Altaire knows the Quan Chi matchup at all.

He's punishing the teleport with 3,4 when he could go for 30+% with 2,1, ice, ball BnB. He also doesn't seem to know that Quan is a disadvantage on a whiffed teleport.
He didn't parry b3, 2+1. He didn't parry the 2,1,2 rune trap, among other things.
I'm not sure you can parry the rune trap, I'll check out the frame data though.

EDIT: Doesn't appear that you can, Ground burst is +19 and 2 has 14 frames of start-up. Not sure how long a dash takes but It shouldn't take 5 frames.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Csub can parry the first "2" in the 2,1,2 rune trap. Shujinky goes for the same pattern, and has to dash in order to hit with the second 2,1,2. That's when Csub can parry.
Looking at the frame data I don't think so. Refer to my edit in my previous post.

Altaire

Noob
Except, y'know, no one really thinks that. People were running around saying that was an 8-2 matchup when the game dropped, which is just as stupid as saying that Cyber Sub vs. Shang is a 9-1. Cyber Sub beats Quan 6-4, and only, ONLY because Quan has no answer to the divekicks and no way to wake up without spending meter. I'm blown away by the fact that anyone would immediately assume any matchup is 8-2 or 9-1, when even 7-3 is a stretch of the imagination. I played Cyber Sub vs. Kabal for WEEKS before I assumed it was really that bad.

For anyone wondering why I didn't punish the teleport with 2 1: This was the first time I've played offline since November. I had all sorts of fucked up inputs, which should be blatantly obvious from the footage, so I just went for the easier punish for the sake of consistency. My timing was WAY the hell off, so I didn't even attempt to do anything that required precise inputs. It's also the reason I didn't even attempt to punish B3 1+2, nevermind that I was nervous as fuck.

I'm just going to re-post what I said about this in another thread:

About my FT5 with Dink, there's really not much to say about it. If he was still Canada Cup Dink, I would've blown him the fuck up, but he's obviously done a lot of leveling up since then. He's playing smarter, his Quan Chi is much more complete, and most importantly, his fundamentals went from total poop to being pretty damn solid overall. I really can't make any excuses; I just was not prepared for his Quan. I practiced the matchup with J360 and Zombie Penguin, both of whom are PHENOMENAL Quan players, but the problem is that they just don't play him like Dink does. It'd be kind of like playing 16 Bit or Mr. Mileena to practice for Crazy Dominican: Those guys play Kitana so differently from CD that they're just as well to be playing another character, and what works against them may not necessarily work against him. I had all these setups for Dink that I just got no opportunity to use, simply because I was unprepared for his style of play.

Again, I have no excuses. I got caught off guard, and I got outplayed. I'm going to keep practicing with Dink wherever I get the chance, and I think once I get a feel for him, I can run it back. We'll see.

There you have it. Feel free to blow me up now.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
"For anyone wondering why I didn't punish the teleport with 2 1: This was the first time I've played offline since November. I had all sorts of fucked up inputs, which should be blatantly obvious from the footage, so I just went for the easier punish for the sake of consistency. My timing was WAY the hell off, so I didn't even attempt to do anything that required precise inputs. It's also the reason I didn't even attempt to punish B3 1+2, nevermind that I was nervous as fuck."

Again, I have no excuses.
Irony-ahoy! All aboard the Contradiction Cruiseliner!

Altaire

Noob
Point 1) 3-7 was a joke. I was joking. Y'know, because i do that.

Point 2) J360 uses Quan Chi? :3
J360 is a phenomenal Quan Chi player, and while practicing with him was definitely a huge help, I didn't get much of it. He doesn't have a whole lot of time for MK, and Dink just plays a completely different Quan. I still give him props for putting forth his best effort to help me learn the matchup, because without that, I'm sure I wouldn't have taken even a single round. Quan confuses me.

Mr_Huggs

Noob
Why is almost every one of altaires post a bunch of essays? Not a personal attack or anything just a question take a deep breath before you respond. BTW great games Match 3 was a Godlike comback.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Your words, they are like oil on water.

Big words dont make one intelligent.
Neither does writing a 5 page book report about a joke i made; Ill let that one slide.
But then again, neither does talking shit and then losing a 5-1 set.