What's new

General/Other Stay away from aunt FLO

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Good points.

Of course, I compare Skarlet to the better characters in the game. That is how you determine how good she is and what (if anything) she lacks.

Most normal attacks are unpunishable by EX dash upslash. This misconception gives me the clue that Skarlet players are theorizing rather than playing the game. In no way, shape, or form are you ever punishing a poke like Cage's f+3 with EX dash upslash on reaction. If you try to, get ready to be punished a lot.

I concede that EX dagger and resets are very good. I never said they were not. However, 1 has a very short range and does not connect on all block-crouching characters. Initiating offense with Skarlet is not as easy as it is with Cage or Sonya.

Obviously, the implication was that some characters' weaknesses are a lot more apparent than others'.
Maybe we need to define scenarios a little bit better. Under no circumstance should Skarlet players be blindly EX Dashing into Up/Down Slash. The whole point of it is using it as an armored move to initiate a counter-combo, like Rain's EX Round House, or Sonya's EX Cartwheel, or Kabal's EX Nomad Dash - all which are used most effectively when you predict what the opponent is going to do. Agreed?

Initiating offense is not as easy as with Cage or Sonya: You mean not as straight forward. Skarlet has a multitude of different ways she can reset you - all she has to do is hit you once, whether it's air-to-air, anti-airing in any way, or standing. So, if a character can reset you out of the air from half-screen or closer, can reset you off an air-to-air jump, or off an anti-crossover jab, or rush you after a connected stagger move into an attempted 1,1,2, which leads to a 'very good' setup for her, wouldn't you agree that she's a strong character?

How many other characters can reset as well as Skarlet? Cage, Kabal, Sonya...Kabal comes closest in how many types of situations he can reset you in, and Reo just won Final Round with him. Those are the types of connections I see and make when assessing a character. Versatility leads to unpredictability. At top level play, being unpredictable is pretty important. Agreed?

I can only dream about her dagger cancels before patch.
Another thing I'm not sure NRS should have changed. But even so, I don't think they understand what middle ground is. 10 frames of recovery is pretty unecessary.

I think the reason you don't see more skarlet is because her mid hitting strings are stupid slow.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Another thing I'm not sure NRS should have changed. But even so, I don't think they understand what middle ground is. 10 frames of recovery is pretty unecessary.

I think the reason you don't see more skarlet is because her mid hitting strings are stupid slow.
I like b11f4. What she needs if anything is a few frames back on her DC or like you said a string that hits crouching opponents that's faster. If f3 was a little faster (maybe 12 frames) I would be happy.

Yesterday, while I was playing my friends Kabal offline, I found out that doing EN red slide the second the match starts usually gets you a bar of meter, I don't know if you guys already know this but it's just a piece of information I found out.

Also, when Kabal zones you, and if you read it correctly, you can actually red dash slide under the fireball safely and punish him for it.

You can also armour through pretty much any projectile if read correctly and punish while the opponent is still in recovery.

My major problem with Skarlet is that I can't find a way to include her normals and link them to combos from midscreen, it's just impossible to me because all her normal starters are slow.

ryublaze

Noob
Yesterday, while I was playing my friends Kabal offline, I found out that doing EN red slide the second the match starts usually gets you a bar of meter, I don't know if you guys already know this but it's just a piece of information I found out.

Also, when Kabal zones you, and if you read it correctly, you can actually red dash slide under the fireball safely and punish him for it.

You can also armour through pretty much any projectile if read correctly and punish while the opponent is still in recovery.

My major problem with Skarlet is that I can't find a way to include her normals and link them to combos from midscreen, it's just impossible to me because all her normal starters are slow.
You gotta find openings in which you can start combos or blockstrings. From dash distance a dagger toss cancel on hit leads to a blockstring (1, 1, 4, Red Dash, Red Slide or 2, 1, 2, Red Dash, Red Slide for low hitbox characters). Both 1, 1, 4 and 2, 1 can link to EX Dagger if your opponent stand blocks them. EX Red Dash into Up/Down Slash is really her best way to start a combo.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I have not tried blood ball...I can't find a good use for it besides the end of a match. You have any good setups for it?
It beats a lot of wakeups and enhanced wakeups, but is situational depending on the character you are facing. I started making a chart to show what characters get get owned by it vs others to not bother with. Against most characters its just not worth the hassel, but for others it work pretty well. The character that gets destroyed by it the most is Ermac. If you end any of the corner combos that have been mentioned here with f4,3 instead of 1,1,2, then throw a blood ball, Ermac will get hit by it out of any wake up attack including enhanced ones. Now would you rather get the reset or the damage? I typically like the reset, but knowing the situations where the blood ball works is helpful situationally, say you need the untechable damage.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Theres been a lot of Skarlet talk in forums lately. Its weird that it took so long for her to catch on, she looks cool, has a cool story, and is really fun to play. It might be that people are looking for an easy win, which doesn't exist for skarlet. An A+ match for her is one where she has used every tool she has, and has made good reads on the opponent. In this way she doesn't have a spamable tactic, you have to use all of her abilities.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
If she had an easy way to start her offense and block strings... she'd be almost OP. The theory fighting going on here is silly. Some things actually take playing the match out, because some of her stuff is all reactionary as opposed to "just doing it".
Dave has a major point... in that her red dash is VERY punishable outside of slide. Once you learn to "see" when the downslash/upslash or NOTHING is coming out... then you limit the Dagger Cancel red dash start a string setup.

The thing that she excels in is the fact that she can jump around... basically with no repercussion. She has a great great footsie game... that allows her to chip away and build meter, so that when she does get a JiP, she kills you.

I honestly think she's what Scorpion was meant to be. She can take small risks and get HUGE rewards, or she can take larger risks for even more reward. But in-between all of that, she can play footsie and poke to create mistakes.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I request that @ANinj make like a 30 min video guide breaking down every little detail of Skarlet...including things to practice...things to look for. I've gone back and forth with the character but now I've decided to master her....I just played EMPEROR_SCAR and now I'm convinced she is a fucking killer...once she gets going she's like a mac truck....my god...

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Sometimes... I think the problem with her isn't that she takes execution... it is that for every single thing... she has to do something different rather than having a universal go to.

Sub Zero has two very much go to options to punish.
Skarlet has something toward 8 million.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Sometimes... I think the problem with her isn't that she takes execution... it is that for every single thing... she has to do something different rather than having a universal go to.

Sub Zero has two very much go to options to punish.
Skarlet has something toward 8 million.
She's got mix ups for days! It's so easy to sit back on our computers and say "ohhh well that's so and so frames" and "oh well you can poke out here and there"...bitch please...I can read people pretty well and EMPEROR_SCAR was just demolishing me with footsies and small mix ups...yeah the daggers don't do much damage but they interupt your momentum...she is crazy! But yeah...you are totally right, you've gotta be smart playing Skarlet...she isn't linear by any means!

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
Skarlets isntant air dagger actually has the fastest reecovery of any instant air projectile in the game(yes even better than kabals). But they only do 4% and she gets only a slide if she catches them in the air.
closer, you can get

air dagger f4 upslash -> combo. can get the same thing off of an anti-air jump punch.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
Emp scar will be at MLG. I will be watching intently for those matches.
emp_scar showed me her true potential. We had a mirror match last week. He won 10-1 but i felt good cause I've only been using her for 3 weeks and the games were close. He has mix ups for days and im in the training room now to make up my own for when i got to Texas Showdown. She is a really dangerous character when she has meter. Without meter tho, you may be in trouble.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
Same. I'm curious what Khaotic means by "true potential" too!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
What I meant by that was I use to mess with skarlet pre and post patch but not like I see people now cause I didn't use forums or YouTube videos to get better with any of my characters just match experience and occasional slip ups in practice mode. So about 3 weeks ago I started using her again and ran into someone called xBBSxigotjuice or something like that and he was doing her resets and
Ex dagger cancels for pressure and mix up block strings. I knew her 112 was a reset but didn't know how to use it. After seeing him I knew I had some work to do so I broke my rule and looked at some videos and forum pages to learn this . xBBSx turned out to be EMP_SCAR. That's why I say he showed me her true potential no discredit to u but I had never even heard of u or this forum until a couple of weeks ago.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Blocking high vs Skarlet is such a bad idea.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk