What's new

General/Other Stay away from aunt FLO

Altaire

Noob
wow altaire :eek:
why does 99.9% of what you post insult or put someone down, theres better ways to get your points across man
1) I talk to Mr. Mileena, I wasn't "putting him down". The whole POINT I was making is that I've talked to him about Skarlet enough that he should know better, rather than making a superficial assessment of her that I'd expect from someone unfamiliar with the character. TYM sure loves to grossly extrapolate every post I make.

2) I put Dink down because he's an asshole, pure and simple. Even if I were to exclude the fact that he blamed me for his loss at SCR (which is just downright silly), I don't like that he's seen as the face of the Canadian scene given the way that he carries himself. I'd much sooner it be someone like Neo Russell, who breaks his back for the community and doesn't need to make excuses when he loses.

Flagg

Noob
Dink is the face of the canadian scene because I would assume he does the most travelling outside of Canada?

Anywho, this thread is supposed to be about if Skarlet really is an undiscovered beast or just hyperbole. I go with the former.

Altaire

Noob
Well you can cancel her F4 into upslash. I think F4 must have a large hitbox, because I find it's fairly easy to catch someone jumping in on you with this, and when you cancel it into upslash, it's combo time. It's something I use a lot with her.

I've never managed it, but the AI on expert seems to have a knack of using U3 as a AA as well! I wouldn't mind knowing if an mid air dagger canceled after her U3 leaves her safe. I assume you know you can do U3U4 as well? You can cancel that into a mid air dagger as well.

Not sure how good her D1 is, but I know her D3 is really, really good. Maybe not good for a AA, but it's really fast and you'll notice it really lowers her hitbox.

EDIT: Her U3 is 16 frames, U3, 4 is 14 frames. Her air daggers, near or away is 11 frames.

ANinj would really be the man to speak to about what she can and cant get away with.
Okay, a few points I need to make:

1) U3 is only good as an AA option, for the same purposes that Cage's B3 is. U3 4 is absolutely pointless. You can get full combos into standing resets or hard knockdowns after a U3, so why do U3 4 into knife? Your followup options aren't nearly so generous.

2) That really isn't how F4 should be used. F4 itself is not a good AA, F4 3 is. The reason it's so good is that it's one of the most risk-free strings in the game, because it's safe on block and beats crossup attempts. It's not good for AAing on reaction, but you can throw it out in anticipation of a crossup and you're at no serious risk if you guess wrong. If you really want to go for a link off F4 3, you can option select F4 DF3. If the F4 doesn't connect, the DF 3 won't cancel into a red dash, so you'll just get F4 3. If the F4 connects, you'll go into a red dash, which you can hit confirm into a slide on block (or an upslash and combo on hit, circumstances permitting). If they jump at you and the F4 hits, you go into a red dash and generally won't get anything for it, but you're still preventing them from crossing you up. If they jump at you and the F4 whiffs, you'll get F4 3, which will usually catch them.

Anyway, all of Skarlet's low pokes are good, but her D4 is the most underutilized part of her game. D4 red dash has so much cancel advantage that you get a guaranteed mixup every time, because you can delay a red slide so late as to make it ambiguous. Every single D4 red dash is a 50/50 between slide and throw, and you still have more options out of a red dash than that.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Dink is the face of the canadian scene because I would assume he does the most travelling outside of Canada?

Anywho, this thread is supposed to be about if Skarlet really is an undiscovered beast or just hyperbole. I go with the former.

and im the oldest Canadian member of the MK Community <3!

yay im important!

ryublaze

Noob
How viable is f4 as AA? I never tried it. Also what use does up3 have out of combos? Are there any setups for up3 that are practical? Is her d1 good for AA?
F4, 3 is a good anti-air because it is 2 hits and both hits have a large hitbox and it's safe on block and semi-safe on whiff. F4 into Red Dash, Down Slash leads to full combo and standing reset. It is her most reliable anti-air.

U3 is best for punishing teleports or anyone who balls up. It does an insane amount of damage for no meter.

U3, 3, Air Dagger (Far), dash, 2, 3, Dagger Toss cancel, 2, 3, Red Dash, Red Slide (42%, 9 hits)
U3, 3, Air Dagger (Far), dash, 2, 3, Red Dash, Up Slash, dash, 2, 3, Red Dash, Red Slide (44%, 9 hits)

IMO U3 is too slow as an anti-air and can get you punished if mistimed. I find it better to NJP.

D1 is decent but I think F4, 3 is much better.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
F4, 3 is a good anti-air because it is 2 hits and both hits have a large hitbox and it's safe on block and semi-safe on whiff. F4 into Red Dash, Down Slash leads to full combo and standing reset. It is her most reliable anti-air.

U3 is best for punishing teleports or anyone who balls up. It does an insane amount of damage for no meter.

U3, 3, Air Dagger (Far), dash, 2, 3, Dagger Toss cancel, 2, 3, Red Dash, Red Slide (42%, 9 hits)
U3, 3, Air Dagger (Far), dash, 2, 3, Red Dash, Up Slash, dash, 2, 3, Red Dash, Red Slide (44%, 9 hits)

IMO U3 is too slow as an anti-air and can get you punished if mistimed. I find it better to NJP.

D1 is decent but I think F4, 3 is much better.

I find this too...everyone was saying u3 is godlike AA, but i get punched or JK everytime I tried it lol..ill try using F4...

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Why do people think skarlet isn't good?
Why people think that people think skarlet isn't good ? I don't know anyone thinking that skarlet sucks.. No, they just think (and they're right) that she is too hard to play (especially online), that's probably why she is underused (despite the fact she is a DLC).

Skarlet is probably top tier imho however she requiert skill. She is a mix beetween sonya and reptile :D

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Everyone has seen kitana do jump kick combos right? Well skarlet can do the same thing. Obviously her air projectile doesn't have the hitbox kitanas does but it works well because even if they block it, the air far dagger is +3 on block giving you pressure or maybe just a chance for f43 to creat space.

Her zoning is something I have been messing with. It's really freaking good. I played @osu16bit today and it seemed to be relatively successful. He gave me some good advice though...be lamer. But he also said her zoning is really good.

So to be lamer I just mix in daggers and dagger cancels but also instead of dashing back with a cancel, I dash forward occasionally and footsie with f43, just f4,d4, and instant jump close dagger. if I mix in a f43 but then just do f4, I can link it to ex dagger cancel and go into block string.

One of my favorite baits is instant air dagger (blocked), they try to punish but I blow them up with armor red dash into combo. But I'll zone with her all day to build my meter back up. She can play lame and doesn't have to be so technical...just learn how to cancel daggers.

ryublaze

Noob
Everyone has seen kitana do jump kick combos right? Well skarlet can do the same thing. Obviously her air projectile doesn't have the hitbox kitanas does but it works well because even if they block it, the air far dagger is +3 on block giving you pressure or maybe just a chance for f43 to creat space.

Her zoning is something I have been messing with. It's really freaking good. I played @osu16bit today and it seemed to be relatively successful. He gave me some good advice though...be lamer. But he also said her zoning is really good.

So to be lamer I just mix in daggers and dagger cancels but also instead of dashing back with a cancel, I dash forward occasionally and footsie with f43, just f4,d4, and instant jump close dagger. if I mix in a f43 but then just do f4, I can link it to ex dagger cancel and go into block string.

One of my favorite baits is instant air dagger (blocked), they try to punish but I blow them up with armor red dash into combo. But I'll zone with her all day to build my meter back up. She can play lame and doesn't have to be so technical...just learn how to cancel daggers.
Have you tried Blood Ball vs. Kitana? Skarlet beats Kitana in zoning imo.

ryublaze

Noob
I have not tried blood ball...I can't find a good use for it besides the end of a match. You have any good setups for it?
I find Blood Ball useful whenever you knock Kitana down at fullscreen. Daggers can knock her down while she does air fans or after F4, 3. If she does a wake-up attack (Square Boost), Blood Ball will hit her so she'll have to block it and by that time you can lock her down with Daggers. You also might be able to Air Dagger her out of Square Boost but that might be difficult to do on reaction.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Why do people think skarlet isn't good? I understand she was better before the nerf to het daggers but why is she bad?

I am returning back to her and for the life of me I don't get this. I think she is the hardest punisher in the game besides cyrax. And she does it with no meter and by sacrificing 4-6% she gets a reset that leads to block strings to build meter.

With meter she is extra deadly because she can armor through anything (full screen even) and get 30ish % into block strings that build meter back very quickly. Not only that but she can zone and by doing just 4 dagger cancels can get a full bar of meter only to use it to get right back in with an ex dagger cancel.

Her mix ups are godly because like scorp she can always go safe with a slide but can make you guess wrong and take 40% into another reset.

She is like a better version of scorp because she builds meter faster but has a vortex just like him.

So can anyone give me a good reason to stay away from aunt FLO?
I am a little late, but I would like to address your points.

- slide and downslash are not a true 50/50 mix up. This misconception is a great example of how little players know about the character. If your opponent keeps fighting Skarlet, he will eventually learn to block the downslash on reaction 90% of the time. I guarantee it.

- EX dash is very good. As is EX dash slide. But EX dash upslash is slower than you think. Upslash is not even safe on block and requires accurate readings to be effective. If you think that you are punishing the better projectiles and pokes with EX upslash on reaction, you are very mistaken. You will get punished and lose one bar in the process.

- no player should ever be blocking the daggers and allow Skarlet to build super meter. They are tied with Kung Lao's low hat as the most toned down special move in the game. Any character with a decent projectile can now out-zone this character. Her teleport is also probably the worst in the game (i.e., bad hitbox, poor recovery on block and whiff, little reward, etc.).

- she cannot initiate her offense very easily, especially on low hitbox characters. She has to take risks and jump if she intends to have a guaranteed shot at frame traps.

Is she F tier? No. I was wrong. But some people are determined that she is a top tier character, which is of course laughable. She would only be top tier if she had access to her old dagger cancels because then she would be able to build a lot of meter and force opponents to approach her. But that is not the case. She is mid tier at the moment. Sonya completely replaces her as a character at a high level. She does whatever Skarlet does and more.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I am a little late, but I would like to address your points.

- slide and downslash are not a true 50/50 mix up. This misconception is a great example of how little players know about the character. If your opponent keeps fighting Skarlet, he will eventually learn to block the downslash on reaction 90% of the time. I guarantee it.

- EX dash is very good. As is EX dash slide. But EX dash upslash is slower than you think. Upslash is not even safe on block and requires accurate readings to be effective. If you think that you are punishing the better projectiles and pokes with EX upslash on reaction, you are very mistaken. You will get punished and lose one bar in the process.

- no player should ever be blocking the daggers and allow Skarlet to build super meter. They are tied with Kung Lao's low hat as the most toned down special move in the game. Any character with a decent projectile can now out-zone this character. Her teleport is also probably the worst in the game (i.e., bad hitbox, poor recovery on block and whiff, little reward, etc.).

- she cannot initiate her offense very easily, especially on low hitbox characters. She has to take risks and jump if she intends to have a guaranteed shot at frame traps.

Is she F tier? No. I was wrong. But some people are determined that she is a top tier character, which is of course laughable. She would only be top tier if she had access to her old dagger cancels because then she would be able to build a lot of meter and force opponents to approach her. But that is not the case. She is mid tier at the moment. Sonya completely replaces her as a character at a high level. She does whatever Skarlet does and more.
I find that her dagger cancels are still faster than any projectile in the game besides kabal iaf. I can sit full screen and throw them fairly quickly dashing in and out at the same time. I can delay the second dagger or throw them both together. Kabal has trouble armoring through them, many characters have slow start up on their projectiles and her daggers hit them out of start up. If they are desperate for a trade they will take a risk after a dagger cancel. Even though she can't block after a DC she can still teleport, armor, and jump.

She can be very evasive while zoning . I think she out zones characters like kenshi and kitana at the same time can pressure so well on par with scorp, maybe cage, and kabal.

Her up and down slash are not safe I know...I understand it's not that fast, but between slide, armor up slash, zoning, and chip damage, the job still gets done.

You can't zone the whole match with her Dave. She plays a game that starts with zoning and footsies. (she can win by just footsies too BTW). She does this to build meter and no character builds meter faster From a distance than skarlet. Once she builds meter she goes in...and she can't be stopped from getting in. Once she gets in she can pressure safely, burn 2 bars with eh DC and still have a bar to spare. Then can f43 back out and zone to build more meter until she needs to get back in again.

Frame traps won't keep her locked down with armor dash getting her out, super armor is always nice, Awesome mobility, punishes for 45 no meter with resets.

You just can't zone the whole time. You have to be willing to do both rushdown and zone. Like kitana that've to be able to do both to win.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I find that her dagger cancels are still faster than any projectile in the game besides kabal iaf. I can sit full screen and throw them fairly quickly dashing in and out at the same time. I can delay the second dagger or throw them both together. Kabal has trouble armoring through them, many characters have slow start up on their projectiles and her daggers hit them out of start up. If they are desperate for a trade they will take a risk after a dagger cancel. Even though she can't block after a DC she can still teleport, armor, and jump.

She can be very evasive while zoning . I think she out zones characters like kenshi and kitana at the same time can pressure so well on par with scorp, maybe cage, and kabal.

Her up and down slash are not safe I know...I understand it's not that fast, but between slide, armor up slash, zoning, and chip damage, the job still gets done.

You can't zone the whole match with her Dave. She plays a game that starts with zoning and footsies. (she can win by just footsies too BTW). She does this to build meter and no character builds meter faster From a distance than skarlet. Once she builds meter she goes in...and she can't be stopped from getting in. Once she gets in she can pressure safely, burn 2 bars with eh DC and still have a bar to spare. Then can f43 back out and zone to build more meter until she needs to get back in again.

Frame traps won't keep her locked down with armor dash getting her out, super armor is always nice, Awesome mobility, punishes for 45 no meter with resets.

You just can't zone the whole time. You have to be willing to do both rushdown and zone. Like kitana that've to be able to do both to win.
Two canceled daggers are easily interruptable and each does 2% on hit. I do not see how she out-zones anyone aside from characters like Baraka, Cage, Sheeva, etc. Do you know how fast canceled daggers used to be in comparison? She was able to keep up with Kabal in projectile wars and his fireballs do 9% of damage. The dagger cancel has received ten more frames of recovery. Again, you are not zoning any character with a decent fireball.

Freddy, not Skarlet, builds the most meter from full screen away. Freddy has projectile frame traps that have to be blocked. Skarlet does not. If your opponents are constantly blocking Skarlet's daggers full screen away, they are playing very wrong.

I agree that Skarlet's footsies are good mostly because of f+4,3 and the slide. But her rush down is nowhere near as good as Cage's or Kabal's. How does she initiate offense on low and medium hitbox characters? She cannot without jumping.

Skarlet has clear weaknesses. She is definitely not a top ten character. I was one of the few players who used to use this character in local tournaments.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Two canceled daggers are easily interruptable and each does 2% on hit. I do not see how she out-zones anyone aside from characters like Baraka, Cage, Sheeva, etc. Do you know how fast canceled daggers used to be in comparison? She was able to keep up with Kabal in projectile wars and his fireballs do 9% of damage. The dagger cancel has received ten more frames of recovery. Again, you are not zoning any character with a decent fireball.

Freddy, not Skarlet, builds the most meter from full screen away. Freddy has projectile frame traps that have to be blocked. Skarlet does not. If your opponents are constantly blocking Skarlet's daggers full screen away, they are playing very wrong.

I agree that Skarlet's footsies are good mostly because of f+4,3 and the slide. But her rush down is nowhere near as good as Cage's or Kabal's. How does she initiate offense on low and medium hitbox characters? She cannot without jumping.

Skarlet has clear weaknesses. She is definitely not a top ten character. I was one of the few players who used to use this character in local tournaments.
No I didn't play her per patch. And I think because of that fact, I can see her for what she is and not what she was. Maybe from full screen she can get out zoned but if she starts full screen and dashes in the window closes. She is more mobile than you realize. I think she just doesn't fit your playstyle anymore because you don't rushdown. You have to know when she is vulnerable and when she isnt to zone. It's a runaway game but her GREAT footsies make her zoning better. And by the time they get in, cause they will, she has armor for days to get damage and a combo reset. She builds meter faster than Freddy. Freddy is a better zoner than her but his specials don't build meter faster than hers. They just don't. 4 DC build 1 bar. How on earth can Freddy build meter faster? Frame traps are great but they don't build meter faster.

Pressure like cage or kabal.
Her block strings are so long and with eh dagger, she has so much advantage. The damage she takes off of two block strings are as much as cage takes off with three f33 eh balls. And if any of her block strings hit she can take off twice as much damage as cage with a combo while still ending in a reset for more block strings. The only difference is that they are harder to do. Kabal has 1, 2, or 3 hit block strings, but she has 3 hit+ strings. It's too different to say its not good...but it's equivalent IMO.

Deity

Noob

Skarlets isntant air dagger actually has the fastest reecovery of any instant air projectile in the game(yes even better than kabals). But they only do 4% and she gets only a slide if she catches them in the air.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
No I didn't play her per patch. And I think because of that fact, I can see her for what she is and not what she was. Maybe from full screen she can get out zoned but if she starts full screen and dashes in the window closes. She is more mobile than you realize. I think she just doesn't fit your playstyle anymore because you don't rushdown. You have to know when she is vulnerable and when she isnt to zone. It's a runaway game but her GREAT footsies make her zoning better. And by the time they get in, cause they will, she has armor for days to get damage and a combo reset. She builds meter faster than Freddy. Freddy is a better zoner than her but his specials don't build meter faster than hers. They just don't. 4 DC build 1 bar. How on earth can Freddy build meter faster? Frame traps are great but they don't build meter faster.

Pressure like cage or kabal.
Her block strings are so long and with eh dagger, she has so much advantage. The damage she takes off of two block strings are as much as cage takes off with three f33 eh balls. And if any of her block strings hit she can take off twice as much damage as cage with a combo while still ending in a reset for more block strings. The only difference is that they are harder to do. Kabal has 1, 2, or 3 hit block strings, but she has 3 hit+ strings. It's too different to say its not good...but it's equivalent IMO.
You don't understand.

1) Why would anyone block dagger cancels to allow you to build super meter? Unless you are doing EX dagger cancels in frame traps, everything can be neutral-crouched.

2) What are your set ups for your block strings, especially against low hitbox characters?

ryublaze

Noob
Whoever's able to start their zoning first can zone the other out. Once Skarlet rapid fires her Daggers, the opponent can't fire a projectile without getting hit by the next Dagger (match-up dependent). But if someone like Kabal or Kitana zones first, Skarlet can't Dagger cancel repeatedly or she'll receive a bad trade. She also has to the option of EX Red Dash to get in. This is why (IMO) that F4, 3 is a big part in her zoning since it knocks the opponent down mid to fullscreen so you can start zoning first.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
You don't understand.

1) Why would anyone block dagger cancels to allow you to build super meter? Unless you are doing EX dagger cancels in frame traps, everything can be neutral-crouched.

2) What are your set ups for your block strings, especially against low hitbox characters?
I do understand. You are saying that people just crouch no block the whole time to get in...well she can just as easily jump to an instant air close dagger once you get close. If you let her throw daggers while in crouch, why is that a problem for her? It still builds great meter and if they are not block it just opens them up for other things. My point is that she has options. Daggers are a great projectile that are a. Great addition to her footsies.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?

Here we go again...

Yes, Freddy is awesome at building meter from fullscreen. Skarlet doesn't need to play the zoning game with teleport and EX Dash (super armor - she doesn't care about zoning).

You're one of the few players...along with everyone else...who played Skarlet pre-patch. As soon as the patch hit, you dropped her. You never played Skarlet in the way everyone else on this forum means it when they say that.

Her rush-down is nowhere near as good as Cage's or Kabal's...you view Skarlet as this 2nd tier character who has to live up to the promises of one of the "better" characters. This is indicated by you always trying to compare her against characters you clearly think are the epitome of a certain type of fighting. Skarlet is her own character. She has her own risks and rewards. She can blow you up for over 50% damage in one combo RESET without meter in the corner. She can stagger you with a downward dagger allowing her to dash in for a block string combo, or throw, or F4,DF3,DB2 or F4,3.

She can play mind games with you by keeping you out with said down dagger and far dagger. Her IABD recovers faster than any other projectile. She can move across the screen with super armor which also extends into whatever move she chains into it, allowing her to full punish nearly every other special in the game and 100% of all normals.

Her block strings are obnoxious to deal with because as soon as she starts one with you (as in, as soon as a 1,1,2 connects and an EX dagger is coming at you) you have to make the guess: do I try to poke out? If I do, she can B1,1,F4 me into another 30% reset. Do I try to block low? If I do, she can 13-frame dual downslash me into 30% full reset. Do I try to tech the throw? What if she is que'ing up F2,1,2,1+2 and I'm going to eat another 30% reset?

"Skarlet has clear weaknesses". God man, you just love to use phrases that apply to literally every single character in the game, then point them at Skarlet and pretend she's the only one affected by this notion. Pardon my french, but Skarlet has weaknesses? No shit sherlock. No one's saying she's perfect.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Here we go again...

Yes, Freddy is awesome at building meter from fullscreen. Skarlet doesn't need to play the zoning game with teleport and EX Dash (super armor - she doesn't care about zoning).

You're one of the few players...along with everyone else...who played Skarlet pre-patch. As soon as the patch hit, you dropped her. You never played Skarlet in the way everyone else on this forum means it when they say that.
Good points.

Her rush-down is nowhere near as good as Cage's or Kabal's...you view Skarlet as this 2nd tier character who has to live up to the promises of one of the "better" characters. This is indicated by you always trying to compare her against characters you clearly think are the epitome of a certain type of fighting. Skarlet is her own character. She has her own risks and rewards. She can blow you up for over 50% damage in one combo RESET without meter in the corner. She can stagger you with a downward dagger allowing her to dash in for a block string combo, or throw, or F4,DF3,DB2 or F4,3.
Of course, I compare Skarlet to the better characters in the game. That is how you determine how good she is and what (if anything) she lacks.

She can play mind games with you by keeping you out with said down dagger and far dagger. Her IABD recovers faster than any other projectile. She can move across the screen with super armor which also extends into whatever move she chains into it, allowing her to full punish nearly every other special in the game and 100% of all normals.
Most normal attacks are unpunishable by EX dash upslash. This misconception gives me the clue that Skarlet players are theorizing rather than playing the game. In no way, shape, or form are you ever punishing a poke like Cage's f+3 with EX dash upslash on reaction. If you try to, get ready to be punished a lot.

Her block strings are obnoxious to deal with because as soon as she starts one with you (as in, as soon as a 1,1,2 connects and an EX dagger is coming at you) you have to make the guess: do I try to poke out? If I do, she can B1,1,F4 me into another 30% reset. Do I try to block low? If I do, she can 13-frame dual downslash me into 30% full reset. Do I try to tech the throw? What if she is que'ing up F2,1,2,1+2 and I'm going to eat another 30% reset?
I concede that EX dagger and resets are very good. I never said they were not. However, 1 has a very short range and does not connect on all block-crouching characters. Initiating offense with Skarlet is not as easy as it is with Cage or Sonya.

"Skarlet has clear weaknesses". God man, you just love to use phrases that apply to literally every single character in the game, then point them at Skarlet and pretend she's the only one affected by this notion. Pardon my french, but Skarlet has weaknesses? No shit sherlock. No one's saying she's perfect.
Obviously, the implication was that some characters' weaknesses are a lot more apparent than others'.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
For some reason most people don't like the character... in a way that would cause them to stick with her over time. A lot of people in these threads see the surface value of frames on paper and theory fight their way through the rest of the tier list, rather than playing her, and I'm not talking about an hour of practice, I'm talking about long term MAIN dedication like TC mains Nightwolf. There's only a few on here that have actually mained Skarlet (Ninj, Red Raptor) for a long period of time. They are finding things that work practically in matches, not just on paper, because they are using the tech all the time.

Skarlet has many peaks and valleys to discover that are beyond paper theory fighting.

Lastly, people say that she can't win without jumping, well she can also take away the opponents ability to jump by using dagger cancels, instant air daggers, air down dagger, and an instant air jump punch or kick cancel to teleport. Try fighting Skarlet once you are afraid to jump...