What's new

General/Other Stay away from aunt FLO

LEGEND

YES!
Blocking high vs Skarlet can cost you majorly, simply because you allow Skarlet to build back meter she's lost while taking a lot of chip and added pressure.

She's a really good character.
she is really good but she still has matchup problems imo, i can't see her getting past top 15 in a MU chart

this seems to be the problem with alot of characters though, kinda like Liu, Stryker and scorpion, Really good characters that just never really have a solid advantage then have disadvantages quite often. I guess that still beats being a character thats completely hit or miss

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
On paper characters like Jade and Sheeva have it all, but are considered to be on the bottom of the tier list.

Jade for instance can create an unblockable situation, has moving armor, immune to almost every projectile, a high and low projectile, builds good meter from zoning, mix ups, ect.

Sheeva has a low grab, block strings into an unblockable, an unblockable and guideable teleport, a fireball that does more damage than any other in the game, an armored move that does 22%.

Sure I didn't mention any of the negatives on either of the characters, but it makes them sound pretty good. Same goes for Skarlet on paper... even more so. I think the only things on paper that hold her back is her slow start up frames and punishability (not a word...) on up and down slash which takes a lot away from the mind game. I've always thought of Freddy as the superior in this group since he can EX his claw after his overhead or low to make both options safe where as Skarlet has to take a risk on one and Scorpion both.

I'd like to see someone do really well with Skarlet in a tournament; I can't honestly make an argument based on the facts I know as to why she isn't tournament viable.

Good luck.

Altaire

Noob
Her teleport is shit.
Her red dash can't catch kitana from far away when she does an iaf.

There's no reason to block low with her, a red slide is better than eating a downslash, which is very very punishable on block.

She is good, yes, but at the moment, NOONE knows how to fight against her, which makes her seem OP

She isn't, like i told mike. If you have raiden nightwolf and kabal, there's no reason to main skarlet.

...Really?

I explained to you how Skarlet is supposed to be played, and you're still going with "Well her red slide is no good because there's no reason to block low against her"? I'd expect this from a lot of people, but you should know better. That isn't even the mixup out of a red dash. I've been saying that since even before Shujinkydink took her to SCR and failed miserably when he tried to use that setup. Even if you did want to look at it that way, giving her free red slides is going to add up pretty quickly.

Skarlet is an all-around solid character. To say that the red slide isn't good because there's no mixup there is like saying the same about Ermac's push: The whole point is that it restricts your movement. You aren't going to be doing anything else while a red slide is coming out unless you have a reliable means of stuffing it. She's a lot like Cage in that if you stand there in block too much, you're inviting her to close the gap and pressure you, which she really makes good on.

This character has so much potential, and no one sees it. I'll never understand how she goes overlooked.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
...Really?

I explained to you how Skarlet is supposed to be played, and you're still going with "Well her red slide is no good because there's no reason to block low against her"? I'd expect this from a lot of people, but you should know better. That isn't even the mixup out of a red dash. I've been saying that since even before Shujinkydink took her to SCR and failed miserably when he tried to use that setup. Even if you did want to look at it that way, giving her free red slides is going to add up pretty quickly.

Skarlet is an all-around solid character. To say that the red slide isn't good because there's no mixup there is like saying the same about Ermac's push: The whole point is that it restricts your movement. You aren't going to be doing anything else while a red slide is coming out unless you have a reliable means of stuffing it. She's a lot like Cage in that if you stand there in block too much, you're inviting her to close the gap and pressure you, which she really makes good on.

This character has so much potential, and no one sees it. I'll never understand how she goes overlooked.
Where would you say she is in the tier list?

...Really?

Tell me she's a top 10 character, then if not shhh.

Im not saying she sucks, im just tired of people saying shes so godlike. She is currently, because noone knows the matchup.

Why do people think skarlet isn't good? I understand she was better before the nerf to het daggers but why is she bad?

I am returning back to her and for the life of me I don't get this. I think she is the hardest punisher in the game besides cyrax. And she does it with no meter and by sacrificing 4-6% she gets a reset that leads to block strings to build meter.

With meter she is extra deadly because she can armor through anything (full screen even) and get 30ish % into block strings that build meter back very quickly. Not only that but she can zone and by doing just 4 dagger cancels can get a full bar of meter only to use it to get right back in with an ex dagger cancel.

Her mix ups are godly because like scorp she can always go safe with a slide but can make you guess wrong and take 40% into another reset.

She is like a better version of scorp because she builds meter faster but has a vortex just like him.

So can anyone give me a good reason to stay away from aunt FLO?
Because M2dave says skarlet is F tier and hes always right because he uses perfect english and spell checks his posts.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I think the only things on paper that hold her back is her slow start up frames and punishability (not a word...) on up and down slash which takes a lot away from the mind game.
Skarlet isn't even that slow...and upslash isn't gonna be used outside of EX red dashes or in combos. Down slash, you aren't always going to fuzzy guard properly when it's done out of a red dash, and can be delayed or done early as hell (like slide) to throw off fuzzy guard attempts. Skarlet doesn't always have to risk being unsafe anyway. A number of her strings into empty red dash are either safe w/ disadvantage, or barely unsafe. And in those cases, you still have to respect her if she has meter simply because EX red dash can blow you up.

She's not a character you want to brush off as low tier. Because you're in for a rude awakening lol. I don't even feel Ninj comes close to exploiting Skarlet to the fullest, but playing him simply makes me fear her so much.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Skarlet isn't even that slow...and upslash isn't gonna be used outside of EX red dashes or in combos. Down slash, you aren't always going to fuzzy guard properly when it's done out of a red dash, and can be delayed or done early as hell (like slide) to throw off fuzzy guard attempts. Skarlet doesn't always have to risk being unsafe anyway. A number of her strings into empty red dash are either safe w/ disadvantage, or barely unsafe. And in those cases, you still have to respect her if she has meter simply because EX red dash can blow you up.

She's not a character you want to brush off as low tier. Because you're in for a rude awakening lol. I don't even feel Ninj comes close to exploiting Skarlet to the fullest, but playing him simply makes me fear her so much.
I agree. I played pig and walker last night and I used her for a majority of the matches. I learned a lot about her. I learned her ex dagger cancel system and which characters I can do what with.

On low hitbox characters, she has a really hard time starting pressure. Her meter building string (her bnb string IMO) does not work unless you land a jip...try jumping on sektor, jax, or mileena. Bad idea. F21 goes right over their heads even with an ex dagger cancel. If you happen to land a f212 1+2 ex dagger cancel you have to do b11f4 to trap low hitbox characters. B1 strings are the only things that will jail...maybe f3 strings. But pressure ends pretty much after the first ex dagger string.

On medium and high hitbox characters f212 1+2 works and jails completely. So by ending ANY combo with a 112 ex DC, you can do f212 1+2 ex DC three times as long as they hold block and you start with full bars. The only way out is to let go of block when the mid hits and pray they don't link it into red dash up slash to start it over again. So against low hitbox characters she is at a massive disadvantage but against big hitbox and mid hitbox she has massive pressure and damage potential.

Another thing to realize is that I lost soooo many games to pigs kenshi at first (obviously) but I started to make them close and managed 1 or 2 wins by adding one simple element to her game...air close daggers.

I started using air close daggers to bait ex shoulders and shoulders. I think she is at +4 after an air dagger hits so it allows me to get out a d3, maybe a d4 into red dash...or atl east anoth air dagger. When he respects air dagger I'm able to get a couple jump ins. And when she gets in on kenshi and his massive hitbox...I'm taking half life...end of story.

I have a long ways to go with her but I'm starting to se it. But my advice is...don't pick her against low hitbox characters cause its a pain in the ass

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
*Tribal Wisdom*

So can anyone give me a good reason to stay away from aunt FLO?
Nope.

If I had better execution with her strangeness, Skarlet would be my go-to girl instead of Kit.
But I'll be back eventually.
Soooooooooooooo underrated. That's part of the reason I'm playing Kitana; I figure the better I get with EX Fan cancels, the better I'll get at Daggers. Better collective of blockstrings/50-50 options/Meter building than any other female in the game, maybe the best female in the game, IMO. She isn't as punishable as Mileena, has a more diverse set of options than Kitana, and superior zoning compared to Sonya. If not the best, easily Top 2 or 3 under Sonya and/or Kit.

I love fighting Skarlets online just because I like watching her work.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Nope.

If I had better execution with her strangeness, Skarlet would be my go-to girl instead of Kit.

But I'll be back eventually.
Soooooooooooooo underrated. That's part of the reason I'm playing Kitana; I figure the better I get with EX Fan cancels, the better I'll get at Daggers. Best blockstrings/50-50 options/female in the game, IMO.
She isn't as punishable as Mileena, has a more diverse set of options than Kitana, and superior zoning compared to Sonya.

I love fighting Skarlets online just because I like watching her work.
Im the same way...I love watching kabal and skarlet...that's why I play them!

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Im the same way...I love watching kabal and skarlet...that's why I play them!
I've been trying like hell with Kabal, too. For whatever reason, special cancels ala Skarlet, Stryker, Jax, Sub & Ermac's B2's, etc. are like my damn kryptonite in this game; I always manage to screw them up under pressure. So since a great deal of Skarlet's big damage combos revolve around the launched Dagger Cancels keeping the opponent afloat (and just because I don't want to pick someone this unorthadox up without getting over all their hurdles), I would invest my time in someone with a similar option in their gameplan in Kitana, and at least get some practice in for the sake of my execution with Kabal. That way, not only do I have fucking KITANA at my disposal and I learn NDC pressure in the process, I get over the only hurdle standing between me and the Blood Princess :D.

I don't care if she's made of blood. I would wreck her. For days. Weeks. Mmmm.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I agree. I played pig and walker last night and I used her for a majority of the matches. I learned a lot about her. I learned her ex dagger cancel system and which characters I can do what with.

On low hitbox characters, she has a really hard time starting pressure. Her meter building string (her bnb string IMO) does not work unless you land a jip...try jumping on sektor, jax, or mileena. Bad idea. F21 goes right over their heads even with an ex dagger cancel. If you happen to land a f212 1+2 ex dagger cancel you have to do b11f4 to trap low hitbox characters. B1 strings are the only things that will jail...maybe f3 strings. But pressure ends pretty much after the first ex dagger string.

On medium and high hitbox characters f212 1+2 works and jails completely. So by ending ANY combo with a 112 ex DC, you can do f212 1+2 ex DC three times as long as they hold block and you start with full bars. The only way out is to let go of block when the mid hits and pray they don't link it into red dash up slash to start it over again. So against low hitbox characters she is at a massive disadvantage but against big hitbox and mid hitbox she has massive pressure and damage potential.

Another thing to realize is that I lost soooo many games to pigs kenshi at first (obviously) but I started to make them close and managed 1 or 2 wins by adding one simple element to her game...air close daggers.

I started using air close daggers to bait ex shoulders and shoulders. I think she is at +4 after an air dagger hits so it allows me to get out a d3, maybe a d4 into red dash...or atl east anoth air dagger. When he respects air dagger I'm able to get a couple jump ins. And when she gets in on kenshi and his massive hitbox...I'm taking half life...end of story.

I have a long ways to go with her but I'm starting to se it. But my advice is...don't pick her against low hitbox characters cause its a pain in the ass
Air close daggers are amazing. They give a number of characters problems.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Air close daggers are amazing. They give a number of characters problems.
Kitana, Kabal, Kung Lao, Sonya, they'd all be rather limited in their air-to-air game, no?
Not to mention, even if they start going jump-happy, you can JP/JK Teleslash them out of the sky to make them respect your air. Your bloody, bloody air.

She won't get much in the way of damage from the Kunais, but she can almost out-Sindel Sindel with those damn things as far as controlling space. Add in Up/Down Slash mixups off the Slides & blockstrings, the Up Kick into Daggers or maybe a hit-confirmed Tele-Slash to get back inside...woman is baaaad.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Her biggest problem is damage off of daggers. Daggers should only be used to get yourself in. She cannot win a zoning war due to the poor damage of daggers. She is a character built around gaining meter, taking damage (blood drop projectile to build meter), but by gaining meter being able to get in quickly and dealing huge damage.

She is a very interesting character. I view her like quan chi but ten times more difficult to use. Dink should keep using her.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Her pressure strings not working on low hitbox characters is interesting, I didn't know that. It would def lend to some bad match ups for her, or she would have to approach those fights differently.

And yah even if JiP will jail the low Hitbox characters, good luck at getting jump ins at High level play.

But her pressure and block string chips seem to be her strongest asset, I love watching skarlets fight either way :)

ryublaze

Noob
If they are crouch blocking at the end of f2, 1, 2, 1+2 then EX Dagger goes over them so you'd only be able to do it 5 or 6 times in a row if they always stand block.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Her pressure strings not working on low hitbox characters is interesting, I didn't know that. It would def lend to some bad match ups for her, or she would have to approach those fights differently.

And yah even if JiP will jail the low Hitbox characters, good luck at getting jump ins at High level play.

But her pressure and block string chips seem to be her strongest asset, I love watching skarlets fight either way :)
Tour absolutely right. In order to get a f2 block string to hit on those characters you either HAVE to jip. Just kabal has to change his pressure on low hitbox characters so does skarlet. She can really only b11f4 red dash slide or f33 red dash slide.

In a series, if you can make them respect red dash slide, you can open up opportunities and catch them blocking. So instead of slide you do empty red dash, b11f4 again....I guess if low hitbox characters can just duck to get out of pressure it opens up chances to land the overhead launcher. Ehhhhh. It's still tough

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Tour absolutely right. In order to get a f2 block string to hit on those characters you either HAVE to jip. Just kabal has to change his pressure on low hitbox characters so does skarlet. She can really only b11f4 red dash slide or f33 red dash slide.

In a series, if you can make them respect red dash slide, you can open up opportunities and catch them blocking. So instead of slide you do empty red dash, b11f4 again....I guess if low hitbox characters can just duck to get out of pressure it opens up chances to land the overhead launcher. Ehhhhh. It's still tough
Yes, if you could condition them, and react fast enough, it would all depend on there knowledge of skarlet as well I guess.

Fast reactions would be key on getting the over heads in, Sounds like a fun challenge to pick her up though,

Deity

Noob

As a skarlet player, I find trouble against neutral crouching and low hit boxes as well. Also her overhead is sooooo slow, you have to use the En version just to prevent them from reaction blocking it. Also f33 isn't very good, If it gets blocked you get blown up even if you special cancel it.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
...Really?

wow altaire :eek:
why does 99.9% of what you post insult or put someone down, theres better ways to get your points across man

Reactions: CJF

Flagg

Noob
So apparantly Skarlet isn't top 10 because every Skarlet player should play her completely based around her red dash? And wow, I didn't realise that when you red dash you have to slide or overhead and not, ya know, maybe use a throw or carry on pressure.

You can blow people up for lots of damage just from landing her U3. Her F4 is one of the best AA in the game and leads straight into a massive combo. Her dagger cancels make for nice little set ups and pressure as does her mid air projectiles.

It's a shame that most people play the likes of Scorpion based around that vortex thing and not much else, but there is more to Skarlet than if you're going to either red slide or red overhead.

Sheesh!

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
So apparantly Skarlet isn't top 10 because every Skarlet player should play her completely based around her red dash? And wow, I didn't realise that when you red dash you have to slide or overhead and not, ya know, maybe use a throw or carry on pressure.

You can blow people up for lots of damage just from landing her U3. Her F4 is one of the best AA in the game and leads straight into a massive combo. Her dagger cancels make for nice little set ups and pressure as does her mid air projectiles.

It's a shame that most people play the likes of Scorpion based around that vortex thing and not much else, but there is more to Skarlet than if you're going to either red slide or red overhead.

Sheesh!
How viable is f4 as AA? I never tried it. Also what use does up3 have out of combos? Are there any setups for up3 that are practical? Is her d1 good for AA?

Flagg

Noob
How viable is f4 as AA? I never tried it. Also what use does up3 have out of combos? Are there any setups for up3 that are practical? Is her d1 good for AA?
Well you can cancel her F4 into upslash. I think F4 must have a large hitbox, because I find it's fairly easy to catch someone jumping in on you with this, and when you cancel it into upslash, it's combo time. It's something I use a lot with her.

I've never managed it, but the AI on expert seems to have a knack of using U3 as a AA as well! I wouldn't mind knowing if an mid air dagger canceled after her U3 leaves her safe. I assume you know you can do U3U4 as well? You can cancel that into a mid air dagger as well.

Not sure how good her D1 is, but I know her D3 is really, really good. Maybe not good for a AA, but it's really fast and you'll notice it really lowers her hitbox.

EDIT: Her U3 is 16 frames, U3, 4 is 14 frames. Her air daggers, near or away is 11 frames.

ANinj would really be the man to speak to about what she can and cant get away with.