What's new

starting to workout, need help for the top tiers.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
So I have an issue that I thought I would address in this thread since it seems like this is already more of a weightlifting discussion.

So around a year ago I started seriously working on my abdominal muscles and chest muscles. Sometimes after I workout(im talking the day after workout) I would start to get ab muscle spasms. Basically, the muscle on the left side of my stomach would tighten REALLY quickly and then loosen up, only to tighten again. It usually seemed to be caused by me sitting a certain way, but ive never figured out what exactly triggered it. I also will sometimes get it when bending down or lifting. Im wondering if there is a way to counter this and prevent it from happening again. Ive tried laying off working out for a few days after but it always seems to happen again in a few weeks or months. I really want to get back into ab workouts without fearing that ill have spasms in public(really sucks).

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
So I have an issue that I thought I would address in this thread since it seems like this is already more of a weightlifting discussion.

So around a year ago I started seriously working on my abdominal muscles and chest muscles. Sometimes after I workout(im talking the day after workout) I would start to get ab muscle spasms. Basically, the muscle on the left side of my stomach would tighten REALLY quickly and then loosen up, only to tighten again. It usually seemed to be caused by me sitting a certain way, but ive never figured out what exactly triggered it. I also will sometimes get it when bending down or lifting. Im wondering if there is a way to counter this and prevent it from happening again. Ive tried laying off working out for a few days after but it always seems to happen again in a few weeks or months. I really want to get back into ab workouts without fearing that ill have spasms in public(really sucks).

As soon as you feel your abdominal muscle start to spasm, grab the affected are and massage it until the spasm goes away. Stretching your muscles by gently twisting side to side or leaning backward may also help. Drink water or a beverage enhanced with electrolytes to help you hydrate. Eating a banana, which is high in the electrolyte potassium, may also help. Apply heat to relax tight abdominal muscles, and apply cold if your muscles are sore or tender. If the spasm is severe or doesn't respond to self-care measures, seek medical attention.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
As soon as you feel your abdominal muscle start to spasm, grab the affected are and massage it until the spasm goes away. Stretching your muscles by gently twisting side to side or leaning backward may also help. Drink water or a beverage enhanced with electrolytes to help you hydrate. Eating a banana, which is high in the electrolyte potassium, may also help. Apply heat to relax tight abdominal muscles, and apply cold if your muscles are sore or tender. If the spasm is severe or doesn't respond to self-care measures, seek medical attention.
Thanks. Ive learned to do most of that, but I might try stretching the day after a workout and see if it helps.