What's new

Sonya's face

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
I dont know why it is so important that they don't look like supermodels. It is a game where they punch each others brains out. Why is it important whether they are ugly or not? I just want to understand.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Johnny, Kano, and Jax all looked way older than Sonya in MKX lol. She barely had a wrinkle on her face.
True, but they have enough trouble with female's faces without putting wrinkles on them, I wouldn't want to see what they'd look like aged up. Everyone wants their favourites to look hot - it's a psychological thing - we see ourselves in that character because we want to be like them, mentally and physically. Sure older men are seen as way more as attractive than older women, but I feel like that may be more biological than anything else.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Johnny, Kano, and Jax all looked way older than Sonya in MKX lol. She barely had a wrinkle on her face.
Part of the reason I super dug Kano in MKX is he just got mad old. Like dude obviously still appears a threat, but you can tell he's wearing all of the 20~ year timeskip on his face. Here he is a 50 year old dude, no powers, body held together only by his tech and has nothing other than his own skill, sharp wits, and sharp knives up against wizards, magical beings, and demigods.

Like at that point, how do you not root for that guy?

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
i saw the bird box movie lady sandra of bullock looks good for 54
therefore i now hold all women to that standard it is only fair
I love Sandra Bullock, I really do... but she's a Hollywood actress. Got some work done, got a make-up crew, getting touched up in every kind of footage taken by her etc.

Sonya... not so much.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
What about sindel then? Because I think she's got a lovely face and she's waaaaay older. You can have old characters and still have them look good.

Remember this is a fantasy world, where people from Earth can throw glowing green orbs from their hands, who says they have to look like crap when they're 50?

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
What about sindel then? Because I think she's got a lovely face and she's waaaaay older. You can have old characters and still have them look good.

Remember this is a fantasy world, where people from Earth can throw glowing green orbs from their hands, who says they have to look like crap when they're 50?
Sindel is of an otherworldly immortal race who are descendants of the gods...
Kinda an unfair comparison, really. :p

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
For the regular ass humans up against magic and gods and stuff, it lends better credence to the character to know father time is working against them on top of the enemy.

Example:

Doesn't quite work as well if Murtaugh was like "I am 48 years YOUNG and in the prime of my life I feel great and can take on anything!!!!!"

Basically old people kicking ass is cool too, and not everyone has to turn into the giant bearded wizened chinese kung fu master when they get old.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
That's the thing though, they aren't regular ass humans.

And I don't mind the old people kicking ass thing either. Jax looked great in MKX and he was old. Sonya...
lol no.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Point taken.

But as I said, this is an Earth where ppl like cage can throw magic balls they spawned from nowhere and take giant blasts of magical energy with no problem.

Who's to say aging even works the same? Maybe 50 is only like being 200 is to an asari in mass effect?

SINGH E

Noob
He’s(they) actually aren’t.

Their dad was a Cryomancer from Outworld and their mom was a Chinese-American.
Long Post, sorry:

It depends what timeline you are talking about.

In the original timeline, it was told that both Sub-zero's dad was also a Lin Kuei assassin that was hinted at being a previous generation Sub-zero and was Chinese. He then went to America and had a Wife where he had 3 kids (Bi Han, Kuai Liang, and a daughter). Daddy Sub-zero wanted his sons to be trained in the Lin Kuei like him but the mother who could have been caucasian disagreed. Daddy Sub-zero then took his 2 sons (Bi Han and Kuai Liang) back to China with him to train in the Lin Kuai where eventually they would gain the mantle of Sub-zero. It was a generational thing for 5-6 generations so before that their paternal side could have been from Outworld as they are descended from Cryomancers. Source MK Mythologies Sub-Zero.

"Born in America, Sub-Zero was the oldest of three children, which included a brother and sister. Their mother wanted a normal life for her sons, who had already been chosen by the Lin Kuei to become warriors for the clan. She tried in vein to hide them from their father whose own life in America was only a cover for his true identity and purpose. Eventually they were found and their father returned with them to his homeland. Their mother and sister were never seen or heard from again.
Sub-Zero learned of his ability as a young adult. It was passed on to him by his father, a fourth generation Lin Kuei warrior himself. The ability to harness the element of cold is one that takes years of practice. It's full potential realized only by those who've mastered it at the latest stages of life. Sub-Zero's skills have the ability to develop much faster than those of the other Lin Kuei. This was realized by the Lin Kuei Grandmasters who picked the young warrior to take his deceased father's place as the next Sub-Zero." Taken from the old MK Mythologies website.

In the new timeline, Bi Han and Kuai Liang were both born in China and are Chinese that descended from the Outworld Cryomancers. They were kidnapped as small children by the Lin Kuai and forced to join the clan in which they will both receive the title Sub-zero at some point in their lives. Source MK9.

Hope this clears that.

Also worthy of noting that both Sub-zeros were fully Chinese in MK1 and MK2 and it was only changed later as the guy who played Subby in MK3 was caucasian. So they thought they could work around this by saying he was mixed race in later games like Mytholgies etc.