What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade Sonya General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dedlock

Noob
Sonya's b14 and b332 openers are pretty slow and ineffective in counterattacking a successfully blocked string since your opponent can either attack again before you recover and wind up your attack or they can get their block up, what's the best opener to punish on block? I've tried 121 into military stance (7 frame startup) but the range on it is pitiful and can only be used to counterattack on a string that leaves you and your opponent pretty much standing right next to each other.
yup she lacks in this area, either 111 or 121, or F2 , 4 and a leg grab cancel to finish them off, none of them are really that effective for a full combo punish, with really small cancel windows and or range push back making the 22 frame MS 4 not effective.

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
213 is the only string that has enough hit stun to cancel into MS Cartwheel, so if you're going for a straight punish string go for that. She has a mean case of t-rex arms and just doesn't hit much with that, but 9f is her fastest full punish.

That being said, if you have a 9f+ window, it's normally just as easy/more reliable to use the overhead to punish; you lose 3f of potential catch, but it won't whiff, more chip/meter, the OH to low catches people sometimes even when they know it's coming, and then another MS mix up in there as well.

Opening people up is something I normally don't have much/any trouble on because of how strong the 50/50 is. Sonya's openings normally come from the 50/50's and not more patient pressure/block/footsies back and forth a lot of other characters have.

Reactions: jmt

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
213 is the only string that has enough hit stun to cancel into MS Cartwheel, so if you're going for a straight punish string go for that. She has a mean case of t-rex arms and just doesn't hit much with that, but 9f is her fastest full punish.

That being said, if you have a 9f+ window, it's normally just as easy/more reliable to use the overhead to punish; you lose 3f of potential catch, but it won't whiff, more chip/meter, the OH to low catches people sometimes even when they know it's coming, and then another MS mix up in there as well.

Opening people up is something I normally don't have much/any trouble on because of how strong the 50/50 is. Sonya's openings normally come from the 50/50's and not more patient pressure/block/footsies back and forth a lot of other characters have.
IIRC, 213 has a gap between the 2 and the 1...So the person can armor through it unfortunately

Dedlock

Noob
If only F4 was faster that would make a perfect combo punisher, I love its cancelling into ms4 frames. Also F3 if made faster would actually have some use apart from execute brutality.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Anyone know of any decent guides/videos to playing Sonya in this game? I think I want to make her a pocket character but I don't have much experience playing her atm lol

IIRC, 213 has a gap between the 2 and the 1...So the person can armor through it unfortunately
We don't have to worry about this.

2 has an 11 frame startup. Even adding some extra frames between 2 and the 2 where they may be able to activate armor late, nobody is ever going to armor this on reaction.

*edit*

Also, I assume you are talking about 22 and not 21. 22 has a gap, but I'm pretty sure 21 does not. either way, 21 works, and 22 is just too unreasonably quick to armor through the gap on reaction.

Last edited:

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
We don't have to worry about this.

2 has an 11 frame startup. Even adding some extra frames between 2 and the 2 where they may be able to activate armor late, nobody is ever going to armor this on reaction.

*edit*

Also, I assume you are talking about 22 and not 21. 22 has a gap, but I'm pretty sure 21 does not. either way, 21 works, and 22 is just too unreasonably quick to armor through the gap on reaction.
http://testyourmight.com/threads/list-of-all-interruptible-strings-in-mkx.50196/#post-1680371
I was referring to this page. I haven't played this game in a long time =[. Also I tried to backdash between the supposedly 2 gaps in the 2134 string and I couldn't do it =[

Dedlock

Noob
anyone else frustrated with how poor Sonya's air throw's reach is, I just came across a Brawler Cassie who got me every time in the air her reach is so far, Sonya on the other hand flat out whiffs an air throw even after getting them with a jump in punch. god why have it, it doesn't even have an Ex version.

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
The air throw is pretty much always a bad option? I don't know of any good reasons to use it. MAYBE if you are doing a JIK and air throw for the OS, but I learned pretty fast just doing a JI1 to string pressure is way higher reward for about the same risk (like -2 on JIK vs. MS stance options).

Has anyone found a significant use for this yet besides the on-wake-up directional input mix-up? (You can cross over someone on wake up, and air grab above them, the air grab will give you forward momentum TOWARDS the opponent, and take you from cross-up to the original side you were on... even this feels worse than string pressure/standard jump ins).

Dedlock

Noob
Even after a jump in kick the air throw whiffs, the kick has to be angled and executed within a particular proximity for it to connect, it just really hit me hard after going against that Cassie how useless Sonya's air throw is, it's just a waste of space at the moment. Poor reach,poor set up, poor damage and add on top of that whiffing point blank in the air.

I mean shouldn't it atleast be a threat in the air against jip/kr's, traditionally that's what having an air throw is for?

Orbit Aquary

Want a balloon?
Even after a jump in kick the air throw whiffs, the kick has to be angled and executed within a particular proximity for it to connect, it just really hit me hard after going against that Cassie how useless Sonya's air throw is, it's just a waste of space at the moment. Poor reach,poor set up, poor damage and add on top of that whiffing point blank in the air.

I mean shouldn't it atleast be a threat in the air against jip/kr's, traditionally that's what having an air throw is for?
I think it needs an EX version that launches the opponent for it to be useful, right now a ji1 is better. I also think her dive kick should have an EX version. NRS, please.

Dedlock

Noob
I think it needs an EX version that launches the opponent for it to be useful, right now a ji1 is better. I also think her dive kick should have an EX version. NRS, please.
Initially I didn't think it was necessary to have an ex dive kick,I thought it was odd because other characters had it but not necessary.

However, after thewhiff recover frame nerf, I think it's become necessary, especially since Sonya doesn't teleport and a whiffed dive kick really helped with positioning and transportation, now that's not an option so some safety in the air would be appreciated.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
What's the advantage of doing 12 run cancel 21u4 instead of 21 21u4 after her cartwheel in CO? I see a lot of players doing the first one, but I always do 21 21u4, it takes the same damage and doesn't require run canceling.

Orbit Aquary

Want a balloon?
What's the advantage of doing 12 run cancel 21u4 instead of 21 21u4 after her cartwheel in CO? I see a lot of players doing the first one, but I always do 21 21u4, it takes the same damage and doesn't require run canceling.
It's a matter of what's easier for you to execute really. I'm used to 12, and I never drop it so I've stuck with that. I didn't actually know that 21 doesn't require run cancel, but I don't think it's relevant cuz she should gain enough stamina anyways, but don't quote me on that.

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
Have talked in depth about it, same damage. Some people prefer the run cancels as they feel it's more consistent. Whichever you can land is the way to go. Some argument that 12 has more corner carry than a 21 because of the run cancel, AND if you're used to doing 12, you can get better side swap corner carry. After the cartwheel you can run under and do a 12 into 21u4 instead of a 21, 213bf4. However, you don't get the meter from the bf4 and the splat from the leg grab, which I think gives better set up timing than 21u4.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
21 doesn't require run canceling, just a slight walk forward after the cartwheel. I hit a lot more consistently with 21 than 12, because the hitbox of the 12 is shorter, then doing 21 21u4 comes in handy, especially in side swaps.

Noozzle

Noob
Considering thad d1 has 16 adv frames on hit and it doesn't push back the opponent like d3, would I be right to say that d1 is her best poking option?

Last edited:

Dedlock

Noob
Considering thad d1 has 16 adv frames on hit and it doesn't push back the opponent like d3, would I be right to say that d1 is her best poking option?
I always though D3, was her fastest low poke? but both D1 and D3 have poor range and against Ermac and others easily gets outpoked, D4 is not that slow and can poke a but further off and can easily be cancelled into MS3 for additional pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.