What's new

Sonix Fox's Thoughts on MK11

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Some of you guys are missing the point because it's sonic fox saying it.
He isn't trying to nerf defense, he is talking about you getting ridiculous offense from your defense.
Being afraid to use certain strings or specials in combos or on block because you can get punished and lose half your health is terrible.

There is a reason no one plays Dead or Alive, and it's not because of the big titty anime girls.
Yeah but flawless block reversals cost meter, so it's not like they can constantly blow you up for stuff. In Injustice 2 there were plenty of strings that had plus frames but would be easily blown up by MB B3/F3 but people still used those strings, it's a similar idea. I'm not at the point where I'm actually using that mechanic but it's essentially this games version of armored reversals

Xelz

Go over there!
Lots of good ideas from Sonic, no big surprise there - he knows his shit. I especially like his idea that chip shouldn't kill. There wasn't much about SFV that I liked, but the "no chip kill" feature was my favorite. I don't agree that blocked fatal blows should take 5%-7% though, that's too much. 1% or 2%, sure, and being the only thing that can chip kill is fine, but 5% damage on block plus it recharges is too good IMHO.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Some of you guys are missing the point because it's sonic fox saying it.
He isn't trying to nerf defense, he is talking about you getting ridiculous offense from your defense.
Being afraid to use certain strings or specials in combos or on block because you can get punished and lose half your health is terrible.

There is a reason no one plays Dead or Alive, and it's not because of the big titty anime girls.
Exactly.

I’m shocked to see the people defending the FB launcher, are the same people who acknowledged how stupid frame 1 armored launchers between gaps in MKX were.

Both things take the same amount of skill and reward way more than they should.

It should be a get off me tool, not a “I’m stealing my turn back get fucked” tool. I think the u3 should stay but not the u2.

Nulak

http://www.youtube.com/user/Nulak
. I don't agree that blocked fatal blows should take 5%-7% though, that's too much. 1% or 2%, sure, and being the only thing that can chip kill is fine, but 5% damage on block plus it recharges is too good IMHO.
Good post.

Well if NRS is going to listen to anybody, it’s gonna be their tourney mascot. I agree with his review of the beta. That being said, I’m having a lot of fun with the game. Skarlet is an absolute joy to play. Will definitely put her in my main 4 characters I play as until other prove to be better. *Cough Cough Havik or Sektor*

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
From what i have played, here is some of my added feedback, on top of agreeing with mostly what sonic said.

Dashes should cover more distance and recover much quicker either forward or backwards.
Jumps startup needs to really get off the ground much faster, feels slugish and sometmes you can't jump over projectiles
This game doesn't need breakaway or tradictional breaks, just tweak the damage a little bit to do less an its fine, no one should ever be punished for doing the right thing.
Wakeup system needs adjusting the window timing feels weird.
the new amplifying system works well even with sticks on current configuration.

Instead of having flawless block launch nerfed, NRS should instead build strings without gaps, so this way they become good again and we can still launch certain moves if blocked when needed without the necessarily being a string in this very special case. I just don't want to see this mechanic throw into the garbage.

Add some filters online so matchmaking runs smoother without too much people declining because they find wi-fi warriors.

Option a) Allows players to filer which kinda of connection they want to face, wired or wi-fi, or both, so this way one can avoid as many by default without the needing of skipping matches.

haketh

Noob
Agree with him on Flawless Block, the mechanic is giving me Soul Calibur V Just Defend vibes which isn’t good. Garoua style Just Defend mechanics don’t really belong in games based on strings & with a block button

I just saw a stream where the player air escaped away from a Scorpion Spear and then followed up with a 30% combo. On the one hand, you are left without a single defensive bar for like 20 seconds. But on the other hand, if you consider the damage you escaped (~20%) + the damage you dealt it's like you converted a combo break into a 50% gain and that's just wrong.

I think you should be left without defensive meter for the rest of the match. No more wakeups or air escapes for you. Hell take away their Fatal Blow as well.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
From what i have played, here is some of my added feedback, on top of agreeing with mostly what sonic said.

Dashes should cover more distance and recover much quicker either forward or backwards.
Jumps startup needs to really get off the ground much faster, feels slugish and sometmes you can't jump over projectiles
This game doesn't need breakaway or tradictional breaks, just tweak the damage a little bit to do less an its fine, no one should ever be punished for doing the right thing.
Wakeup system needs adjusting the window timing feels weird.
the new amplifying system works well even with sticks on current configuration.

Instead of having flawless block launch nerfed, NRS should instead build strings without gaps, so this way they become good again and we can still launch certain moves if blocked when needed without the necessarily being a string in this very special case. I just don't want to see this mechanic throw into the garbage.

Add some filters online so matchmaking runs smoother without too much people declining because they find wi-fi warriors.

Option a) Allows players to filer which kinda of connection they want to face, wired or wi-fi, or both, so this way one can avoid as many by default without the needing of skipping matches.
How about the strings keep the gaps but the start-up on FB u2 is increased so that u3 is the ideal gap punisher in most situations.

This would make FBu2 more of a special move punisher than something that blows up simple strings so hard.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Exactly.

I’m shocked to see the people defending the FB launcher, are the same people who acknowledged how stupid frame 1 armored launchers between gaps in MKX were.

Both things take the same amount of skill and reward way more than they should.

It should be a get off me tool, not a “I’m stealing my turn back get fucked” tool. I think the u3 should stay but not the u2.

Armored launcher was not only mashable, it was option selected quite alot in pressure situations. Or how about that armored launchers were used offensively in your minus frames ? Armored launchers were stupid in so many ways, how is a Just Defend launcher the same thing? Over commit your string and get punished. Now, It depends how lenient it is to actually do it in a real match, if anything it should be tight as possible.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
So right now, I honestly think NRS has created something special. I think this game is actually going to be one of the greatest fighting games in existence and I hope it lasts long. The pacing of the game, the footsies, the neutral, it’s literally everything I have ever wanted in a fighting game.
My thoughts exactly.

As for breakaway at certain points I feel it's broke. If I win in neutral and get them opened up in combo my opponent shouldn't be able to drop out and punish mid combo.

Breakaway Punishes
I think we could reduce recovery on spear when breakaway is active allowing scorpion to block when opponent BAs the combo on spear which is hella recovery.
This will retain viability of breakaway while still keeping combos strong.

Flawless Block:
Shouldn't allow launch, I agree.

But after thinking about it more if like to wait and see how it plays out. The game hasn't released yet and reguardless how I feel about a specific feature I don't know what the full version is like. I'd like labbing time to see if there is viable options around these problems before changing them.

After all the game hasn't released yet. And no one has even had a practice mode to effectively judge the mechanics.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Armored launcher was not only mashable, it was option selected quite alot in pressure situations. Or how about that armored launchers were used offensively in your minus frames ? Armored launchers were stupid in so many ways, how is a Just Defend launcher the same thing? Over commit your string and get punished. Now, It depends how lenient it is to actually do it in a real match, if anything it should be tight as possible.
They are the same in that I believe the punishment is generally far too great for the commitment it is countering, and neither are terribly hard to do.

Maybe they’re harder to do in the main game, this is an old build, but they’re definitely something that just playing the game for a while you can get down to a reactionary sort of reflex, like in every other game this mehanic or similar exists.

At the very least, they’d need to make these strings with these gaps have enough of a reward for it to even be worth doing them in the face of a full combo punish. I don’t want entire strings to become useless or gimped because they are completely not worth the risk, that feels like bad design.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
breakaway putting both players in neutral stage, could be good call , indeed

a combo breaker system mechanic, that, consumes both 2 offensive bar + 2 defensive bar all at the same time, could work too .... sure people would think twice on using this, because would affect all the pace of the match if abused ....

overall, waiting for the official release to come out, and check out what happen in the first weeks .... I'm sure NRS will pay attention, and nerf stuff that end being shit in the game, let's see

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I mean I want to have an option to break out of kombos when my life's on the line or else what are the defensive meters for?
I don't think he advocated to take away breakaways just remove recovery on certain moves when breakaway was activated so the person breaking away don't have years of advantage to full combo punish the person who beat the neutral in the first place.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Why are you for chip damage kills, if I may ask?
Yeah no problem.

So I completely understand why people do not like chip damage kills. In a lot of cases there’s not much you can do when you’re in chip death other than try to avoid everything or just go nuts. But that aspect is unique imo. Meaning there’s never really another moment in a round where literally any thing that connects will kill you. It adds a layer of depth in a way. To me it’s always been a situation you know can happen so it’s a scenario you practice. Plus, now with the parry/flawless block, you actually can survive any hit.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
They are the same in that I believe the punishment is generally far too great for the commitment it is countering, and neither are terribly hard to do.

Maybe they’re harder to do in the main game, this is an old build, but they’re definitely something that just playing the game for a while you can get down to a reactionary sort of reflex, like in every other game this mehanic or similar exists.

At the very least, they’d need to make these strings with these gaps have enough of a reward for it to even be worth doing them in the face of a full combo punish. I don’t want entire strings to become useless or gimped because they are completely not worth the risk, that feels like bad design.
You get countered with a krushing blow if the defender misstimes the Just defend, people wont be mashing block, so there is a risk to it, but yes, Im in general favor to actually have skill in fighting games,so ill say the best solution is to make the input window as tighter as possible. Which means you ll still wont get away with your pressure against someone who actually knows how to play the game.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
You get a krushing blow if you misstime the Just defend, people wont be mashing block, so there is a risk to it, but yes, Im in general favor to actually have skill in fighting games,so ill say the best solution is to make the input window as tighter as possible. Which means you ll still wont get away with your pressure against someone who actually knows how to play the game.
Didn’t know about the Krushing blow thing, that does change my perspective quite a bit.

This was a good conversation.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I think something that would really help the game is increasing the walk forward speed but keep the walk back speed the same

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Just a note that whether you agree or disagree, this is a great example of how to give reasoned critique to a game. Note that it’s not done via crying and “game ruined” hyperbole and developer-bashing.. Just, “here’s what I like, here’s where I disagree and the reasons why”.

There are a few people who are double Sonic’s age and should be taking notes on this. This is how you move forward and express yourself without completely burning all your bridges.