What's new

Sonix Fox's Thoughts on MK11

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I understand your point and your reputation clearly shows that you understand the NRS games and know what your talking about.

But I think that breakaway shouldn't be compared to air tech because in Injustice we had another defensive option with Clashes so MK11 breakaway is more the successor of the Kombo breaker of MKX than I2 air tech.

I can accept if you say that the defender shouldn't be able to punish the agressor but the defender still loses 2 defensive meters and here we have no distance kreated like we had in MKX. And if you fell into a korner you're in trouble without wake up options. If you could punish breakaway besides Fatal blow, breakaway would be absolutely useless. The defender takes damage from the kombo before he breaks, then loses 2 defensive meters (no wake up option for about 15 seconds and no breakaway for 30+ seconds if he opened up again) and you could still score damage and go for an oki setup? That's using 2 defensive bars for nothing. What's the purpose of the breakaway then?
Breakaway is alot more similar to air tech than it is to combo breakers, that's why I compared it to air tech.

I'm fine with the defender being able to combo punish the aggressor, but if that's the case the aggressor should also be able to punish the defender (assuming he made the correct read.)

Also I feel like some people are misinterpreting what I'm saying, when I say that breakaway should be able to be hard punished. I'm talking about on a specific read. Not like you combo your opponent, and cover breakaway at the same time while continuing to combo your opponent.

I'm saying there should be a specific read that you can make, that specifically fucks up breakaway if you do guess right. I would even be perfectly fine if that read was full combo punishable if the person getting combo'd did NOT breakaway.

It wouldnt make breakaway useless, because breakaway would only be punished on a hard read on somebody calling you out. But if they don't think you are going to breakaway but you do, you get away with it and potentially full combo punish the aggressor. If they do think you're going to breakaway and you don't, that read can be punishable (whatever they decide that read to be) as long as that read directly counters breakaway

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
What if they just tweaked the break away to make it do what it actually sounds like it. Break AWAY, meaning instead of a little spin out of combos in the air, I'm thinking you break out of a combo while flipping back away. I mean essentially the point of this move is to replace breakers anyway. Just my opinion on that.

I'm fine with the defender being able to combo punish the aggressor, but if that's the case the aggressor should also be able to punish the defender (assuming he made the correct read.)
I actually wouldn't mind that if it's not free. You can punish it with a Fatal Blow and maybe you should be able to do an uppercut Krushing Blow on read but then you'll lose that Krushing Blow. In this case you could even kombo off of it because if you can catch a breakaway with an uppercut you deserve the big damage. :) The downside is you can only do it once per match or not even once if you've already used the d2 Krushing Blow before.

I like that you upload your Beta matches on YT but shouldn't your Count Quiles variation name be spelled with a K? ;)

Last edited:

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
I've been thinking a lot about the breakaway mechanic, and here's what I think.

Combo is punishment for the player that got hit by it. Whether he did something unsafe, whiffed, pressed buttons at the wrong time, or simply failed to block - the combo is a form of punishment. It is a consequence of your actions. So a game where there's no way to get out of a combo is perfectly fine, ideal even.

The breaker from MK9/MKX gives the player getting hit the option (if the player has meter) to choose between two forms of punishment - either eat the full combo and loose health, or break out and loose 2 bars of meter. Either way there's no escape from punishment. And importantly the aggressor is never punished. This seems fair enough to me.

The breakaway mechanic of MK11 violates the concept that the player getting combo-ed must always be penalized, and allows a situation where the punisher could actually get punished even more than the player who originally made the mistake, leading to the combo punish.

So far I've come across two main arguments defending this system.
  1. It adds mind games/baiting to the breakaway mechanic, supposedly adding depth to the game.
  2. The way it plays out in actual matches, the punisher very rarely gets blown up. More often it's the player using breakaway that ends up getting punished even more in the form of pressure.
For number 1, I'm all for adding depth to the game. But depth shouldn't come at the cost of fairness, or logic. That's exactly what's happening with the breakaway mechanic right now.

As for number 2, the frequency of any of the possible outcomes don't matter at all. If a person commits a crime by wronging another person it is the offender that must suffer the consequences, every time. It is simply unacceptable that the offender comes out on top, even if it's just once in a million times. That outcome simply can't exist because it's unfair.

My conclusion is simply that the breakaway mechanic, in its current form, is unfair.

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings

Combo is punishment for the player that got hit by it. Whether he did something unsafe, whiffed, pressed buttons at the wrong time, or simply failed to block - the combo is a form of punishment. It is a consequence of your actions. So a game where there's no way to get out of a combo is perfectly fine, ideal even.

The breaker from MK9/MKX gives the player getting hit the option (if the player has meter) to choose between two forms of punishment - either eat the full combo and loose health, or break out and loose 2 bars of meter. Either way there's no escape from punishment. And importantly the aggressor is never punished. This seems fair enough to me.

The breakaway mechanic of MK11 violates the concept that the player getting combo-ed must always be penalized, and allows a situation where the punisher could actually get punished even more than the player who originally made the mistake, leading to the combo punish.

1. It adds mind games/baiting to the breakaway mechanic, supposedly adding depth to the game.
  2. The way it plays out in actual matches, the punisher very rarely gets blown up. More often it's the player using breakaway that ends up getting punished even more in the form of pressure.
For number 1, I'm all for adding depth to the game. But depth shouldn't come at the cost of fairness, or logic. That's exactly what's happening with the breakaway mechanic right now.

As for number 2, the frequency of any of the possible outcomes don't matter at all. If a person commits a crime by wronging another person it is the offender that must suffer the consequences, every time. It is simply unacceptable that the offender comes out on top, even if it's just once in a million times. That outcome simply can't exist because it's unfair.

My conclusion is simply that the breakaway mechanic, in its current form, is unfair.
That sums it up perfectly!!

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Baiting breakaway is rewarding because it leaves the other player with 0 defensive meter for a significant amount of time. It also leaves you at an attack advantage when its baited. I think that's a bigger reward than people make it out to be.

I'm ok with being at an advantage with no worry of any wake up options.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Whailing on the guy for 20 seconds with baraka b3 staggers until I win the round makes me look for the breakaway like a lottery prize.

I think people are panicking too much about the punish thing.

Scoot Magee

The main issue with you 2nd point is that the game has only been played during a beta stress test and now. Theres been barely enough time for people to adapt.

In my personal experiences, I've been avoiding being punished by breakaway pretty consistently and ive managed to press the advantage after. I've had limited time with the game as well but it's been my experience so far.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
The main issue with you 2nd point is that the game has only been played during a beta stress test and now. Theres been barely enough time for people to adapt.

In my personal experiences, I've been avoiding being punished by breakaway pretty consistently and ive managed to press the advantage after. I've had limited time with the game as well but it's been my experience so far.
It's not just about avoid being punished by the breakaway.

It's if you know 100% for a fact that your opponent is going to breakaway at this very second, there should something you can do besides

A.) Fatal Blow

B.) Purposely drop your combo and pressure as they're standing up

There should be another option that blows up breakaway badly, even if that other option is punishable if you guess wrong and they don't breakaway

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends

It's if you know 100% for a fact that your opponent is going to breakaway at this very second, there should something you can do besides

A.) Fatal Blow

There should be another option that blows up breakaway badly, even if that other option is punishable if you guess wrong and they don't breakaway
From what I've been seeing, the general motif is end your combo with an ender that's either safe to breakaway completely or can be hitconfirmed to be as such.

I think the breakaway problems will die down a bit as people figure stuff like that out. Especially considering that the meter used for breakaway ties into a ton of stuff that you'd wanna use anyway.

Scoot Magee

A.) Fatal Blow

I get where you're coming from but I think as of now it's kinda easy to read when people will break away. It would make it almost pointless to use imo. I feel the loss of resources and being put in a disadvantage situation is a decent punishment.

Honestly I wouldn't mind it being gone completely but I really dont know what I'm asking for considering how young the game is.