What's new

Sonic Fox Wins Injustice 2 at Viennality 2017

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
This tournament was crazy good. My thoughts on Cold aside, Fox played out of his mind. Really impressive stuff from him and the rest of top 8.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Characters that won a major

Combo breaker- Black Adam
CEO- Scarecrow
EVO- Aquaman
Vienality?- Captain Cold

"One of these things is not like the other one of these things just doesn't belong"

Lol, good on Injustice 2 for have balanced enough roster.
Defend the North -- Red Hood :cool:

jackempty0

Born on a Monday
Characters that won a major

Combo breaker- Black Adam
CEO- Scarecrow
EVO- Aquaman
Vienality?- Captain Cold
Defend the North -- Red Hood

"One of these things is not like the other one of these things just doesn't belong"

Lol, good on Injustice 2 for have balanced enough roster.
i think this is the first time we have had a different character win each major in nrs history

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
The level 2 trait, into building trait, into zoning, and back into level 2 trait is actually awesome. Awesome zoning fortress you have to get around, very entertaining at least for me to watch.

Congrats to all players, great top 16, probably the best yet. Even though the crowd actually there looked bored the entire time. Do people there not like Injustice 2 or something??
Injustice 2 isn't as popular as MKX over here, but I don't think people were bored tbh. You could hear people going crazy during exciting moments.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Kudos to @SonicFox5000 for winning Viennality, he played really well and he showed how good Captain Cold can be. I would go on and say that while Nimble Reptile in MKX is the time slowing versatile character of both Zoning/Space Control and Rushdown, Flash and Captain Cold take each part of it (Flash for Rushdown and Cap Cold for Zoning/Space Control), and Sonic just showed that right here.

It's really sucks the Yammini didn't win, but I'm still proud of him for making it this far. Another friend of mine form Israel. Harukaze, got to top 8 at last year's Viennality, and now Yammini made it to top 8 this year. Huge kudos to him, very proud of him.

And the MKX top 8, HOLY SHIT that was HYPE!! The Grand Finals especially was AWESOME! Mortal Kombat X is still alive and well!

And of course all of the organization and production was very well done. Everyone did an excellent job!

That was one hell of an event, this now should be a new NRS mainly major on a yearly basis, just like TCW, it deserves it.

Please take care in reminding that NONE of the captain cold changes in the patch actually were used in winning the tourney at all. There were no standing 3s and whatever df3 lol.

He could have done just the same with vanilla Cold since he didn't use any patch specific things.

Hence, the patch was USELESS for Cold and the only thing it did is actually toning down the top tiers, which is general across the board.
I will just ask you this question: If Sonic didn't use any of the what was changed for Cap Cold after the patch, and he could've use that tech and gameplan without the patch, that means that Captain Cold was never bad at all, because those stuff weren't touched at all. So it's safe to say that Captain Cold was never bad, it's just that nobody actually found that tech and gameplan before Sonic and just jumped to conclusions, is that right?

Zoidberg747

Kudos to @SonicFox5000 for winning Viennality, he played really well and he showed how good Captain Cold can be. I would go on and say that while Nimble Reptile in MKX is the time slowing versatile character of both Zoning/Space Control and Rushdown, Flash and Captain Cold take each part of it (Flash for Rushdown and Cap Cold for Zoning/Space Control), and Sonic just showed that right here.

It's really sucks the Yammini didn't win, but I'm still proud of him for making it this far. Another friend of mine form Israel. Harukaze, got to top 8 at last year's Viennality, and now Yammini made it to top 8 this year. Huge kudos to him, very proud of him.

And the MKX top 8, HOLY SHIT that was HYPE!! The Grand Finals especially was AWESOME! Mortal Kombat X is still alive and well!

And of course all of the organization and production was very well done. Everyone did an excellent job!

That was one hell of an event, this now should be a new NRS mainly major on a yearly basis, just like TCW, it deserves it.

I will just ask you this question: If Sonic didn't use any of the what was changed for Cap Cold after the patch, and he could've use that tech and gameplan without the patch, that means that Captain Cold was never bad at all, because those stuff weren't touched at all. So it's safe to say that Captain Cold was never bad, it's just that nobody actually found that tech and gameplan before Sonic and just jumped to conclusions, is that right?
Lol what? That was the gameplan for Cold and what Cold players have been doing since release. You just can't do it against over half the cast.

It also helped that no one knew the MU and neglected to punish wall and let him d1/f23 icicle for free.

He's the same as he's always been. Really good in a handful of matchups, but really bad in just as many. He's certainly no higher than mid tier.

Edit: I do have to give him credit for the lvl 2 trait into trait charge again. That was pretty new. It won't work except for a handful of matchups, but that is a new strat and he deserves props for that.

Last edited:

Roy Arkon

@Roy Arkon so what does harukaze play. I miss this guy
I don't know for sure really, I think he plays Tekken 7 since he's a huge Tekken fan but I'm not quite sure, I did see him on MKX online a couple of weeks ago though.

Lol what? That was the gameplan for Cold and what Cold players have been doing since release. You just can't do it against over half the cast.

It also helped that no one knew the MU and neglected to punish wall and let him d1/f23 icicle for free.

He's the same as he's always been. Really good in a handful of matchups, but really bad in just as many. He's certainly no higher than mid tier.
Being a mid-tier isn't a bad character. Yes it isn't a top tier, but it's not bad at all. The fact that he can be great at some MU's and that Sonic managed to take full advantge of Cap Cold, including the fact that, according to you, the people didn't know the MU, that only showed that Cap Cold can be good. And even if he would happen to lose, Sonic has Red Hood as a counter character. I main Sub-Zero (as well as Poison Ivy before Sub came) and I know I have to pick at least one character as a counter character.

So what's really that bad about Cap Cold? That he can't win 90% or even all MU's on his own or at least not without some difficulty?

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
You're 99% correct with the mention that Cold was bad and still is. He's a bit under mid tier and that is not a good place. He needs small buffs and fixes so he can be playable in more than 3-4 matchups.

Look at Bane. Both the bane and cold communities will place Bane higher than cold, yet you don't see any Bane winning majors. Even Biohazard switches to deadshot or harley when faced with bad matchups.

Yet you don't see bane as bad, why is it? Because cold's hard struggling matchups are a lot more than bane's, and tougher to play.

The only problem is that because of this win he will be denied any further buff or fix, even a very small one.

Cold is NOT "fine". Cold is not "no changes". But that is what he will get because of this shitstorm.

Roy Arkon

You're 99% correct with the mention that Cold was bad and still is. He's a bit under mid tier and that is not a good place. He needs small buffs and fixes so he can be playable in more than 3-4 matchups.

Look at Bane. Both the bane and cold communities will place Bane higher than cold, yet you don't see any Bane winning majors. Even Biohazard switches to deadshot or harley when faced with bad matchups.

Yet you don't see bane as bad, why is it? Because cold's hard struggling matchups are a lot more than bane's, and tougher to play.

The only problem is that because of this win he will be denied any further buff or fix, even a very small one.

Cold is NOT "fine". Cold is not "no changes". But that is what he will get because of this shitstorm.
You didn't answer my question. All of what you said regarding the comparison to Bane at all doesn't answer my question.

Zoidberg747

I don't know for sure really, I think he plays Tekken 7 since he's a huge Tekken fan but I'm not quite sure, I did see him on MKX online a couple of weeks ago though.

Being a mid-tier isn't a bad character. Yes it isn't a top tier, but it's not bad at all. The fact that he can be great at some MU's and that Sonic managed to take full advantge of Cap Cold, including the fact that, according to you, the people didn't know the MU, that only showed that Cap Cold can be good. And even if he would happen to lose, Sonic has Red Hood as a counter character. I main Sub-Zero (as well as Poison Ivy before Sub came) and I know I have to pick at least one character as a counter character.

So what's really that bad about Cap Cold? That he can't win 90% or even all MU's on his own or at least not without some difficulty?
Are you asking what's bad about a character that loses 90% of matchups? That doesn't apply to Cold btw, he's not that bad lol.

Sonic took advantage of Cold's strengths and the fact that no one knew the MU.

I don't agree with characters that dominate some characters and get wrecked by others, but apparently i'm the minority so it is what it is.

Roy Arkon

Are you asking what's bad about a character that loses 90% of matchups? That doesn't apply to Cold btw, he's not that bad lol.

Sonic took advantage of Cold's strengths and the fact that no one knew the MU.

I don't agree with characters that dominate some characters and get wrecked by others, but apparently i'm the minority so it is what it is.
But if that tech and gameplan were known from day 1, did everyone else used that and found out that he isn't good? Because it seems to me that people didn't try enough and jumped into conclusions too fast. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Zoidberg747

But if that tech and gameplan were known from day 1, did everyone else used that and found out that he isn't good? Because it seems to me that people didn't try enough and jumped into conclusions too fast. Correct me if I'm wrong.
No, people used that tech. The problem is it only works in a select few matchups, and against people who know how to fight cold you can't get away with everything Sonic did. This tournament just proved that Sonic is on another level, not that Cold is some secret high mid character.

Roy Arkon

No, people used that tech. The problem is it only works in a select few matchups, and against people who know how to fight cold you can't get away with everything Sonic did. This tournament just proved that Sonic is on another level, not that Cold is some secret high mid character.
And what about the swaggy combos that people just found recently? Just curious.

Zoidberg747

And what about the swaggy combos that people just found recently? Just curious.
The ones that are due to the patch? They help, but don't help the fundamental flaws that makes the bad matchups bad. He's always had great setups and combos.

Roy Arkon

The ones that are due to the patch? They help, but don't help the fundamental flaws that makes the bad matchups bad. He's always had great setups and combos.
I see, well I don't main Captain Cold, and I also never fought against him yet, so I can't really say that much, but I do think that now Sonic Fox won, people should at least check him again, just saying.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
I see, well I don't main Captain Cold, and I also never fought against him yet, so I can't really say that much, but I do think that now Sonic Fox won, people should at least check him again, just saying.
Captain Cold is a utlity character. He does very well in a couple of match ups, mostly characters who don't have (good) projectiles and have to get in on him, but that's about it. I am 100% against the idea of having characters that are for specific match ups only, but NRS did say that "Cold does very well against certain characters, so he's fine the way he is". I guess that means that's the way they wanted to design the game.

Roy Arkon

Captain Cold is a utlity character. He does very well in a couple of match ups, mostly characters who don't have (good) projectiles and have to get in on him, but that's about it. I am 100% against the idea of having characters that are for specific match ups only, but NRS did say that "Cold does very well against certain characters, so he's fine the way he is". I guess that means that's the way they wanted to design the game.
I don't think they meant to say tthey intentionly wanted to make him good for only 4 MU's, maybe there more, not a lot, but still more