What's new

Match-up Discussion Solomon Grundy Matchup Thread

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
dude Bane and Hawkgirl are matchups I have literally no idea what to do. I have never seen a high level grundy beat a high level bane in a set, I have never seen Grundy beat Hawkgirl either.

Green Lantern is a hard matchup because of the risks you have to take. A zoning green lantern with no chip trait? hope you like getting mini gunned.
inb4 minigun full screen, that shit you can swamp hands, I'm talking about the awkward mid screen game where you have to worry about b1.
I can't really comment on the Bane-Grundy matchup because no one here plays Bane, but the Hawkgirl matchup I wouldn't call a 2-8. She wins it, no doubt, but not by that large of a margin. I can see the GL matchup being a 3-7 or a hard 4-6, but if Grundy gets a hard knockdown, it's over for GL. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you on any of this (except hawkgirl), I was just bewildered and hoping to flesh out these tough matchups.

Mikemetroid - Will be updated

Mikemetroid MU chart

Aquaman: 4-6
Ares: 6-4
Bane: 2-8
Batgirl: 5-5
Batman: 4-6
Black Adam: 5-5
Catwoman: 6-4
Cyborg: 4-6
Deathstroke: 5-5
Doomsday: 4-6
Flash: 5-5
Green Arrow: 4-6
Green Lantern: 3-7
Harley Quinn: 5-5
Hawkgirl: 2-8
Joker: 7-3
Killer Frost: 5-5
Lex Luthor: 5-5
Lobo: 7-3
MMH: 4-6
Nightwing: 5-5
Raven: 7-3
Scorpion: 6-4
Shazam: 6-4
Sinestro: 6-4
Superman: 4-6
Wonder Woman: 4-6
Zatanna: ??
Zod: 4-6
Bane grundy 2-8? I mean i typically don't have trouble with grundy, but I've never got to play one at a really high level. 2-8 seems drastic haha

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
WC anything that isnt lvl 3 and hope to god he doesnt know how to backdash , theres my gamechanging bane tech ;)

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
WC anything that isnt lvl 3 and hope to god he doesnt know how to backdash , theres my gamechanging bane tech ;)
double punch will leave grundy at a whiff wc state.

Again, if you haven't played a high level Bane, don't say the match isn't 2-8.

fr stack

double punch will leave grundy at a whiff wc state.

Again, if you haven't played a high level Bane, don't say the match isn't 2-8.
sorry should of said WCC

also you can WCC double punch bane wont get the second hit out if u WCC , watch out for the MB though

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
sorry should of said WCC

also you can WCC double punch bane wont get the second hit out if u WCC , watch out for the MB though
Its easy for them to MB when they see WC
Actually, when I tested he can't MB it, because when it's WC'd it acts as if it's blocked and like fr stack said, the second hit doesn't come out. The only time to fear using WC(C) against Bane is when he's juiced to the max...obviously.

So, if you're opponent is pressuring with D1 > DP, you can interrupt with WC between it and get them in a hard knockdown. And if they jump back, you can cancel your WC and follow up with a AA throw. (D2 wouldn't connect for me; WC canceled too fast)

EDIT: Got D2 to connect.

Last edited:

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Actually, when I tested he can't MB it, because when it's WC'd it acts as if it's blocked and like fr stack said, the second hit doesn't come out. The only time to fear using WC(C) against Bane is when he's juiced to the max...obviously.

So, if you're opponent is pressuring with D1 > DP
And bane juiced to the max does so much fucking damage. Even with the health trait

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
And bane juiced to the max does so much fucking damage. Even with the health trait
I agree, I hate lvl 3 Bane damage, but he also makes our BNB reset trap do roughly 70% when it's on cooldown, so there's a little give and take I suppose.

Also, I forgot to finish editing my DP punish lol. It's done now.

EDIT: Same can be done against D1>Body Press. You can also backdash at the same spot on both of his options.

Last edited:

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Also, I was testing the damage difference. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bane's most damaging combo is:

Venomx3 JD3, B2,3 > 1,1,3 > Super

With Health Trait active it does 58% to us. Our BnB Reset thing does 63% (This is accounting for jump ins and no chain active)

So we out-damage Bane by 5% with this and he has to use all of his trait AND all of his meter, while we use only 1 bar. So I don't think the damage is too much of a concern as long as we're getting in.

And just because I like comparing shit, I tested his most damaging no meter BnB which is -- and again correct me if I'm wrong:

Venomx3 JD3, B2,3 > 1,1,3 > Body Press

This netted 44% with Health Trait up, which is impressive, but I still think we hit harder.

EDIT: Also, pretty much every combo we do forces Bane's trait meter to ineffectively drop during the process. This works out very nicely as he taking much more damage from us during combos. This is all VERY dependent on when he actually activates trait and how much he uses, but it needs to be known.

Also, the same combos we use to damage him during his trait cooldown also COOL DOWN his trait. So it is active and ready for use a lot of the time when we're finished comboing.

Last edited:

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Hes able to do quick little bursts of fifteento thirty percent. The damage adds up quickly. Especially in the corner hah.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Hes able to do quick little bursts of fifteento thirty percent. The damage adds up quickly. Especially in the corner hah.
For sure man, but it really depends on what you think is better: Burst damage or Big damage.

I'm gonna hop off AE and pop into Injustice training mode and see what I can do to expose his oki game.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
For sure man, but it really depends on what you think is better: Burst damage or Big damage.

I'm gonna hop off AE and pop into Injustice training mode and see what I can do to expose his oki game.
Play against banes, don't theory fight in training mode, you know enough at this point.

Any help on the Ares matchup? It's listed here as 6-4, but I just get bent over trying lol. Feels like he can teleport behind me on reaction to anything I try to do.

fr stack

how to stuff deathstroke sword spin on wake up , , end your combo in b1 db2 then immediately MB f3
its quite satisfying :cool:

How are you guys dealing with black adam? I'm having a hard time keeping up with his mobility and punishing dive kicks. I have no idea how its a 5-5

fr stack

How are you guys dealing with black adam? I'm having a hard time keeping up with his mobility and punishing dive kicks. I have no idea how its a 5-5
all i can really say is try to WCC on reaction to dive kicks easier said than done i know , and go for max damage cause u wont be catchin him often.. try bait his wake ups-if u can get a kd dash in walk back and punish the whiff with f13 trait or f13, 11 db2 MB , ji2 b1 , trait

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Had a chance to play the Superman match up quite a bit at Final Round, shoutouts to @Kyle Rayner for playing the match with me. While this match up is still pretty horrible, I have found some stuff out get around his wake ups. For air grab you can crouch this and punish it with anti air D2 combo, if you have a bar then you can take this into a reset which will do 50% with the health chain.

If Superman wakes up with dash punch this can be punished if you crouch block it with standing 1 into whatever combo is best for the situation, I also found that you can WC in between the first and second hit of the MB dash punch. Timing is very strict but you take this into a cancel and land a full punish. His low scoop is obviously full combo punishable but I can't imagine Superman waking up with that due to how negative it is.