What's new

So far what do you think the "meta" is in terms of the gameplay?

Gaxkang

Banned
Like the core gameplay really and what character factors are real desirable.

For instance online I see a lot of people doing strings, they get blocked and immediately are crouching down and D1ing and things continue from there...in their favor even to the point it might feel like the defender can't do much. Most of the time blocking a string you can't like punish with for example a 9 frame string or so forth. Punishing on block seems mostly reserved for really unsafe stuff/special moves.
Someone might use D3 a lot too.

Buffering D1 into a special seems very very important.

Moves that close the distance, or advancing moves seem key, tho sometimes a D3 or D4 will stop them.

And it really seems like you gotta know and be able to do 10 hit combos if the other person can do them especially. Otherwise you're just at a big disadvantage all the time...there is the Breakaway mechanic, but that seems so-so.

Teleport attacks really seem to neutralize zoning attempts...and massive damage can be done off a teleport, like I've seen Noob Saibot do that.

Mixup combos can be tough to block, it can look like.

I'm no expert but it's just what I've seen online, what people do or what may seem to work.

Yeah D1s after a string even when being minus seems to be a thing when it really shouldn’t. People will figure it out after awhile. I actually don’t think mix ups are that much apart of the meta. Movement seems to be much more important. When people start consistently flawless blocking it will probably change a lot.

gam224

The world's least hype player
There’s this crazy high level strat I’ve seen where if you input your down one 60 times per second you can make your strings safe. In all seriousness the meta is going to shift a great deal. We will start seeing more hop kicks and punches in the sense that they counter lows and throws (however I truly want short hop to replace stance switch because that button is still useless), as well as more use of perfect guard. I fought a Sonya earlier who used perfect guard to counter my liu’s F43u3 and it was a game changer.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
The Meta of Box = Memorizing the cast's frames and string gaps and praying to the Lord of Light that 1STRKO Jacqui is strong enough to survive the Long Night of Kombat without a projectile.

For the meta is dark, and full of bullshit.

#BriggsGang

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I think the meta is just being a good fighting game player. People that know how to win neutral then maintaining offensive control will shine

So far, it’s been a lot of mashing d1’s, and throws for days. Seriously, throws are maybe a little too strong, especially with KB’s attaches to them.

But there is some good neutral in some matchups, which is fun. A number of characters don’t give a flying crap about that though. Sadly, I think the dirt in this game is only a moderate step down from MKX, which helps but is still frustrating as hell. Like, Erron Black is still the same exact level of nonsense as MKX...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Fundamentals, spacing, neutral, footsies, mind games, throw 50/50’s, regular 50/50’s (but nowhere near as bad as previous NRS games) and staggers.

... Sadly, I think the dirt in this game is only a moderate step down from MKX, which helps but is still frustrating as hell. Like, Erron Black is still the same exact level of nonsense as MKX...
haha people laughed at me when i said errons boots will crush their dream of a neutral heavy game. i like it. it's mortal kombat. that game series needs bullshit.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I feel like this game is going to teach a lot of people how to really play fighting games instead of just spamming easy chains of pressure on block hoping to get a hit. I'm enjoying a lot for that reason alone.

Actual neutral is king, and that forces you to really think about everything you do.

Eating 300 from a kb teching the wrong way absolutely 1000% needs to go.
why? you only get the KB when you teched wrong AND the NEXT throw is a succesful forward throw. so tech the next throw forward and it also resets the KB conditions until you tech wrong another time.