What's new

Match-up Discussion Smoke mu chart mk9

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
You cannot keep away from Reptile. It is impossible for Smoke to keep him there due to dash completely ignoring smoke bomb's tracking. But Reptile struggles to apply any sort of forceball pressure outside of a knockdown or getting an EX slow ball on the screen. It comes down to the b2-range footsies. Smoke is generally better, but it's not free for him either, since dash is also a part of the neutral, as risky as it is in this matchup.

Also, @xarakamaka as far as Liu goes, I'm pretty sure Liu is bullied in footsies and can't play the ranged game. I don't see how he'd win it, honestly, just from a glance at the characters themselves, but I'm not a Liu or Smoke player so take that with a grain of salt. Skarlet, Idk how she'd lose, though. Ribbz would have to explain.
liu does fine lmao... he has faster s 2 a godlike mixup potential way better than smokes.. only thing smoke has on him is his potential big dmg.
trust me liu doesnt need his zoning in this mu

I actually came here to post i think its 4-6 lol. It might be 3-7, but quans got options. As always it comes down to meter
Yeah, meter makes or breaks the match. What's your overall approach to the match? I find midrange to be incredibly difficult to handle--when spacing trance for meter building is not an option (smoke bomb punish), I tend to rely on poking with 11 to hit confirm into 112 trance, but that's about it. Most Smokes I play use D1 to poke under my 11, and also poke the hold in B3, 1+2.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Yeah, meter makes or breaks the match. What's your overall approach to the match? I find midrange to be incredibly difficult to handle--when spacing trance for meter building is not an option (smoke bomb punish), I tend to rely on poking with 11 to hit confirm into 112 trance, but that's about it. Most Smokes I play use D1 to poke under my 11, and also poke the hold in B3, 1+2.
Up close is where i have the most issues. Full screen isnt much of an issue because of quans walk speed. You can block a smoke bomb and just walk forward into sweep range. Punish smoke bomb up close with 212exrune then go for mixup. Damage is similar with combos. we can do 50-60ish one bar if you get the proper combo going. Smoke has the advantage everywhere but quans comeback factor is one of the best in the game

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
l

you havent even played worlds best smoke . you maybe played a smoke who lives in usa and won some tournaments. you mightve played usa top smoke yes. who are you talking about? lol . and i can write a sonya mu description. you think sonya is 6-4 at its worst elaborate please why you think that? smoke has nothing on sonya . sonya blows him up with ease smoke has no defense. and @STRYKIE how do you hit mileena with him if mileena is smart as sonic fox? you cant just b2 etc . instant airs d4s etc its not easy at all . only a fool mileena does random tele or rolls. like said in original post though cud be wrong bout mileena but i dobt think its s blow over match by any means :)
Just to play the devil's advocate here man, it'd be difficult for anyone to declare you the world's best Smoke player when you only went to one offline tournament. By results, Waffles is a top contender for best Smoke.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Just to play the devil's advocate here man, it'd be difficult for anyone to declare you the world's best Smoke player when you only went to one offline tournament. By results, Waffles is a top contender for best Smoke.
I am probably the cockiest Smoke player and even I agree that Wafflez is the best Smoke. He has proven it in my eyes but F that I still would body him free

On paper Wafflez is the best smoke but I find it hard to call him the best smoke because of his poor poking game. Wafflez is a good smoke but from what I've seen he has an extremely bad poking game. He does a hell of a lot of d1s on block into more d1s and I've witnessed a lot of people let him get away with it. Anyone who is excellent at counter poking will blow him up for it. Smokes D1 comes out at 19 frames after a blocked D1 which is stupid. The amount of blocked pokes he does into more pokes or strings is ridiculous in my opinion. This was particularly evident at final round. Purely on that reason I can't call him the best smoke and would have to say it's either Xarakamaka or xsmokex. A lot of people will disagree with me but Xarakamakas smoke is definitely fundamentally better imo.

PND_Ketchup

On paper Wafflez is the best smoke but I find it hard to call him the best smoke because of his poor poking game. Wafflez is a good smoke but from what I've seen he has an extremely bad poking game. He does a hell of a lot of d1s on block into more d1s and I've witnessed a lot of people let him get away with it. Anyone who is excellent at counter poking will blow him up for it. Smokes D1 comes out at 19 frames after a blocked D1 which is stupid. The amount of blocked pokes he does into more pokes or strings is ridiculous in my opinion. This was particularly evident at final round. Purely on that reason I can't call him the best smoke and would have to say it's either Xarakamaka or xsmokex. A lot of people will disagree with me but Xarakamakas smoke is definitely fundamentally better imo.
How can you judge that from only online though?

Waffles has proven many times in tournament that his Smoke is serious business. If you want to prove that, you also need to prove it in tournament.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Baraka 6-4
freddy 6-4
kano 6-4
nightwolf 6-4
scorpion 7-3
shang 6-4
sheeva 6-4
stryker 6-4
NO Smoke Downplaying allowed!

Baraka 7-3
Freddy Krueger 8-2
Kano 8-2
Nightwolf 7-3
Scorpion 8-2
Shang Tsung 7-3
Sheeva 8-2
Stryker 7-3

__Smoke is Broke__

The rest looks agreeable, not sure about Jax maybe 4-6 because of Smoke's big hitbox, GP corner reset, hard to run away and 8f F4 in counterpoking

Waffles has proven many times in tournament that his Smoke is serious business. If you want to prove that, you also need to prove it in tournament.
When I used to play Xarakamaka it was pretty much playing offline the connection was perfect as we live close... Trust me if I could prove it I would but unfortunately I live too far away.

Baraka 7-3
Freddy Krueger 8-2
Kano 8-2
Nightwolf 7-3
Scorpion 8-2
Shang Tsung 7-3
Sheeva 8-2
Stryker 7-3

__Smoke is Broke__

The rest looks agreeable, not sure about Jax maybe 4-6 because of Smoke's big hitbox, GP corner reset, hard to run away and 8f F4 in counterpoking
I hope those mu numbers are a joke.

PND_Ketchup

When I used to play Xarakamaka it was pretty much playing offline the connection was perfect as we live close... Trust me if I could prove it I would but unfortunately I live too far away.
Mustard and I shared an internet connection in the same house and still got lag when we played. No offence, but I don't believe that.

Ketchup what does that even mean.. 'How can you judge that just from online though?'. Are you implying that because we have both played online mainly, we play the game completely differently? Lol.

PND_Ketchup

Ketchup what does that even mean.. 'How can you judge that just from online though?'. Are you implying that because we have both played online mainly, we play the game completely differently? Lol.
How can you judge who the best Smoke player is based on playing them online.

How can you judge who the best Smoke player is based on playing them online.
I've seen them both play many times and from what I've seen of Xarakamaka and Wafflez, Xarakamaka is definitely better. Wafflez does too many punishable things that will get blown up by the right person imo.

Explain please, interested to hear your view.
On my phone but screw it haha I will explain the matchup from smoke's perspective.
We all know Sonya is a beast up close and she has armor and good damage/ tools overall. But smoke has some key things that help him not get destroyed vs her:

Smoke away: This move can be punished if u get a read on it, but it has to be respected. When Sonya scores a knockdown she can't do what she usually does against characters. She has to make a read on if he will tele or not because him getting a smoke away off messes up the positioning she wants. Also if smoke gets a life lead, he can turtle effectively with this move and Sonya will have no choice but to find a way to close the distance and keep smoke in one spot
Teleport: Though smoke has solid AA options, they can lose to jump in kick from Sonya and divekick has to be respected as well. His teleport is the most reliable AA to use against her and it will keep her out of the air if used correctly.
Smoke bomb: Obviously this move has no chip but he does build meter with it which is very key in this matchup in case he gets hit so he can have a breaker to utilize. Also this move can whiff punish her d4 if u really have ur spacing down and can make a good read on her.
Pokes: Even though her pressure is very good and smoke has no armor, he has very good pokes. His d4 and d3 are great for stopping her pressure and he can also do things like d1 smoke away to get away from her. These things will have to be used if u want to have a chance against her.
Damage: simple point here, he has more damage than her so if she messes up he always has the ability to make a comeback and punish her hard. He will typically always have meter in this matchup so the reset will be available at his disposal.

Overall, these few things are what keeps the matchup from being 7 3. Some may disagree obviously but this is my opinion on it.

PND_Ketchup

I've seen them both play many times and from what I've seen of Xarakamaka and Wafflez, Xarakamaka is definitely better. Wafflez does too many punishable things that will get blown up by the right person imo.
There's opinions, which everybody is entitled to, but there's also results and actually proving that.

They're very different things when deciding who the best player of that character is.

Whitefox

Noob
Scorpion vs smoke is at it's worst a 3-7. No argument for an 2-8

Also Ribbz, how is smoke vs sheeva only 6-4? I figured it be worse for her.

On my phone but screw it haha I will explain the matchup from smoke's perspective.
We all know Sonya is a beast up close and she has armor and good damage/ tools overall. But smoke has some key things that help him not get destroyed vs her:

Smoke away: This move can be punished if u get a read on it, but it has to be respected. When Sonya scores a knockdown she can't do what she usually does against characters. She has to make a read on if he will tele or not because him getting a smoke away off messes up the positioning she wants. Also if smoke gets a life lead, he can turtle effectively with this move and Sonya will have no choice but to find a way to close the distance and keep smoke in one spot
Teleport: Though smoke has solid AA options, they can lose to jump in kick from Sonya and divekick has to be respected as well. His teleport is the most reliable AA to use against her and it will keep her out of the air if used correctly.
Smoke bomb: Obviously this move has no chip but he does build meter with it which is very key in this matchup in case he gets hit so he can have a breaker to utilize. Also this move can whiff punish her d4 if u really have ur spacing down and can make a good read on her.
Pokes: Even though her pressure is very good and smoke has no armor, he has very good pokes. His d4 and d3 are great for stopping her pressure and he can also do things like d1 smoke away to get away from her. These things will have to be used if u want to have a chance against her.
Damage: simple point here, he has more damage than her so if she messes up he always has the ability to make a comeback and punish her hard. He will typically always have meter in this matchup so the reset will be available at his disposal.

Overall, these few things are what keeps the matchup from being 7 3. Some may disagree obviously but this is my opinion on it.
Im sorry but a lot of the stuff you are saying is very incorrect. When sonya scores a knockdown she can actually hit him out of the smoke away a lot to be honest try it.. Good luck using a 19 frame teleport as an anti air to counter something such as the dive kick.. that is not a viable option. His d4 and d3 are great for stopping her pressure? Explain please. By smoke just smoking away he is putting himself in the corner which is where sonya wants him. Whiff punishing a d4 with a smoke bomb against a good sonya will be a very hard task lol the d4 can even avoid the smoke bomb completely.

There's opinions, which everybody is entitled to, but there's also results and actually proving that.

They're very different things when deciding who the best player of that character is.
its impossible for me to proove ketchup as i been one tourny with broken pad which you know, and didnt chose cage smoke or scarlett but regardless this isn't usa and not constant tournaments. ketchup you have to understand were online players and we play footsies and fundamentals how they are meant to be played and more than all the lan players you see in tournaments but you wouldnt know you havent even played us :/ , obviously ppls opinions are gna be waffles as he can get to usa tournaments and play vs people who allow him to do d1 d1 d1 on block etc because they dont know how to stop him from poking . its like me saying to you theres this sektor who does f2 f2 f2 f2 on block and does d1 on block into b34 every game every round and hes the best sektor in the world . your going to disagree. i think waffles is a joke but everyone is entitled to their opinion apart from the level your used to was when you last played with foxy years ago . i dont think you realise how far me and skillful chris aka xholmesyx progressed and learnt pretty much every details gap whiff punish. all frame data for nearly 2 years after you guys quit . i understand what your saying but if mike tyson was from tahiti and couldnt go to usa to win world championship then he knows hes the best but he cant proove himself . i find it insulting to a point and foxy agrees as he hate ppl who d1 d1 d1 d3 on block its actually insulting . but he can call himself the best and people can recognise hes the best smoke because he has the opportunity to do so. :) i understand you point of course but if you knew the game well and bothered to watch his fundamentals and what he gets away with then maybe youd be more like "ok xaraka was right he spams pokes and gets away with it" , if i do it vs chris im gna get combod after 1 none hit confirm poke because hes going to combo launch me for not hit confirming pokes. like i did to you in the tourny with broke pad when you did d3 into s1 with sektor and i just combo launched you couple times. this was a smoke mu section and you even bother bringing that up . i dont think you realise how far the skill level has progressed since you were gone

Last edited:

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!

Baraka 7-3
Freddy Krueger 8-2
Kano 8-2
Nightwolf 7-3
Scorpion 8-2
Shang Tsung 7-3
Sheeva 8-2
Stryker 7-3

__Smoke is Broke__

Peer pressure matchup numbers aren't allowed.

____Smoke lies awake at night wishing he was anywhere near Cyrax's level_____

youve mentioned his specials dude saying smoke away is viable for what to get to corner. its not gna whiff punish by smoke away then b23 lol . did you read xholmseyx section on the mu on previous page? :), you cant just smoke away and sb . d4 into b2 and expect to win . once hes in the corner he cant just smoke towards through her. you not mentioned anything thats changed the mu from 7-3 just from smoke away sb and tele punch . once shes in he has 16frame s3 . 15 frame b2 and cant use 21 because its going to get full combo punished. which leaves him with what? xholmseyx covered most things previously which makes it an easy 73 mu . can you read it and make points on whats said please :D . i respect your opinion but like to hear what you say back about what he wrote. no sonya should be falling for run away gimmicks . they can smoke away into the corner im happy with that. then its gg :D