What's new

Match-up Discussion Smoke mu chart mk9

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
watch scar vs waffles finals if you get chance . scar loses but i feel deserved a win. he doesnt know how to deal with scarlet so jumps all the time . if you get chance eddy watch it and count the jumpouts . youll be amused. and one thing people let smoke get away with is d4 d4 d4 but doesnt work due to everytime they d4 they need the little dash d4 again losing frames meaning can armour out. unless they dont dash and just d4 without moving inbetween . but seen waffles d4 dash d4 like 4 times without being stopped. i enjoy playing scarlet vs smokes a lot. its a lot of fun. i know its off topic eddy but who do you feel scarlett worst 3 mus are quickly . :) thanks
I think the hardest one is Cyrax, that 1 combo Kill is a huge factor because she is forced to be meterless most of the time, and when this happens the opponent has more chances of winning, she has to stay out most of the time, but even at this spot Cyrax is still better than her, so definitely the Cyrax matchup sucks even with iaDs is a lot difficult to control the pace.

Kabal might be tough, but i think is much more manageable than Cyrax, if you can avoid gas blast everything else isn't much of a threat, and that is a match Kabal has to stay out most of the time, Skarlet just needs to score a knockdown to win.

I would say a high level Kung Lao, but KL MU is even, some people have said Kitana or Reptile, but Skarlet doesn't lose those MUs either, the time i played with NeoRussel in Angola i missed the most important factor on that game, patience, you get a life lead you have more chances of defeating Kitana. So in my honest opinion in the whole Skarlet Matchup i think she loses to Cyrax , has a slight disadvantage to Kabal but its barely noticeable. The Rest is either her favor or even.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
the one mu im not sure about because i never really had chance to play this character at top level is against raiden. please share your thoughts, smoke or raiden mains

@RiBBz22
@RM AtK!
i think its 5-5 he can still punish raiden .. he just has to be careful of inputing strings after poke hits cuz of how fast teleport starts up.

it could be 5.5-4.5 or 6-4 for smokes favor though i just say 5-5

i dont think anyone has really grinded TONS of sets with raiden mains seeing there are few of them. only True raiden main ive played is bwizz.

but ive played some solid raidens offline not maining them though

also ex teleport mixups are SUPER hard to punish and are really good .. kinda just gotta respect those

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I feel like Smoke loses to Sonya only 6-4. I'm not a super high level tourney player so feel free to correct me, but I feel like Smoke really just has to play lame in this match with RSB because up close sonya destroys Smoke. He has to bait cartwheels and normals then whiff punish to win, but there's always the fear of Sonya's armour. Smoke generally has to work harder to win but it's not 3-7, you just have to make good reads.

Mileena loses to Smoke... 6-4 Smoke. Teleport (even EX and/or Sai cancelled) is punishable for a lot of damage. Mileena has to take so many risks against Smoke and Smoke doesn't really. She can't zone Smoke out, but her d4 is great in this matchup for when she gets in and it can be cancelled into Sai or not which can annoy Smoke a little. Oh yeah, and Smoke out damages her just a teeny tiny bit Kappa

6-4 Smokes favour. I think the Reptile match might be even, or possibly in Smokes favour, it's not horrible for either player. I think Reptiles command dash is full combo punishable and, like everyone, can't zone Smoke. Reptile therefore can't do some of his shenanigans with forceballs, unless he uses the really slow ball to apply presure, Smoke has to deal with reptiles pressure and the ball. Reptiles d4 is great for range too and can be cancelled into either slide or the overhead acid-ball which can be anoying for smoke. Reptiles mobility isn't that great and he can't zone so that's the only reason I'd say it was 6-4 in Smokes favour because Smoke can parry or he can throw a Smoke bomb during the startup animation of forceball.

Smoke loses 9-1 to Kano because he's stupidly broke and nobody Kano shuts him down in every way almost. Kano is the Martian Manhunter of this game. @Youphemism :DOGE

thaks for your input . go to previous page we discussed mileena already a little but discussed sonya in full. smoke has nothing apart from resets vs her :D
I feel like Smoke loses to Sonya only 6-4. I'm not a super high level tourney player so feel free to correct me, but I feel like Smoke really just has to play lame in this match with RSB because up close sonya destroys Smoke. He has to bait cartwheels and normals then whiff punish to win, but there's always the fear of Sonya's armour. Smoke generally has to work harder to win but it's not 3-7, you just have to make good reads.

Mileena loses to Smoke... 6-4 Smoke. Teleport (even EX and/or Sai cancelled) is punishable for a lot of damage. Mileena has to take so many risks against Smoke and Smoke doesn't really. She can't zone Smoke out, but her d4 is great in this matchup for when she gets in and it can be cancelled into Sai or not which can annoy Smoke a little. Oh yeah, and Smoke out damages her just a teeny tiny bit Kappa

6-4 Smokes favour. I think the Reptile match might be even, or possibly in Smokes favour, it's not horrible for either player. I think Reptiles command dash is full combo punishable and, like everyone, can't zone Smoke. Reptile therefore can't do some of his shenanigans with forceballs, unless he uses the really slow ball to apply presure, Smoke has to deal with reptiles pressure and the ball. Reptiles d4 is great for range too and can be cancelled into either slide or the overhead acid-ball which can be anoying for smoke. Reptiles mobility isn't that great and he can't zone so that's the only reason I'd say it was 6-4 in Smokes favour because Smoke can parry or he can throw a Smoke bomb during the startup animation of forceball.

Smoke loses 9-1 to Kano because he's stupidly broke and nobody Kano shuts him down in every way almost. Kano is the Martian Manhunter of this game. @Youphemism :DOGE

Scott The Scot

thaks for your input . go to previous page we discussed mileena already a little but discussed sonya in full. smoke has nothing apart from resets vs her :D
No problem man. That large post only really covered the up close game, which is obvious that Sony wins that - nobody is disputing it. I just think that Smoke shouldn't be pressuring Sonya at all, he should be playing lame, running away, parrying every ring then Smoke towards just into Sonya's range then back off a little then whiff punish whatever she does, if she does anything.

Because you know it's all about that bait, bout that bait. No, punish.
It's all about that bait, bout that bait. No, punish.

As for Mileena, I saw the discussion and I still think my point is valid :)

bettyswallaux

XBOXLive: BettySwallaux
Agree mostly, finally someone agrees that smoke loses to kenshi! Reptile is a 5-5 IMO though, don't think smoke wins like reptile downplayers say and reptile doesn't win either :p

Scott The Scot

Agree mostly, finally someone agrees that smoke loses to kenshi! Reptile is a 5-5 IMO though, don't think smoke wins like reptile downplayers say and reptile doesn't win either :p
Can I ask why you think it's even? I'm, as a Smoke player, convinced it's in Smokes favour :)

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Baraka 6-4

cyrax 4-6

ermac 6-4

freddy 6-4

jade 7-3

jax 5-5

johnny 4-6

kabal 3-7

kano 6-4

kenshi 5-5

kitana 6-4

kung lao 3-7

liu kang 6-4

mileena 6-4

nightwolf 6-4

noob 7-3

quan chi 7-3

rain 6-4

raiden 6-4

reptile 5-5

scorpion 7-3

sektor 6-4

shang 6-4

sheeva 7-3

sindel 7-3

skarlett 6-4

sonya 3-7

stryker 6-4

subzero 7-3

On a plane at the moment but I made some changes

Last edited:
No problem man. That large post only really covered the up close game, which is obvious that Sony wins that - nobody is disputing it. I just think that Smoke shouldn't be pressuring Sonya at all, he should be playing lame, running away, parrying every ring then Smoke towards just into Sonya's range then back off a little then whiff punish whatever she does, if she does anything.

Because you know it's all about that bait, bout that bait. No, punish.
It's all about that bait, bout that bait. No, punish.

As for Mileena, I saw the discussion and I still think my point is valid :)
Lol if only the sonya match up was that easy for smoke. I think you need to play a pro sonya player to understand how bad that match up is for smoke to be honest. Went over the footsies in my explanation not just the up close game. Smoke can't run away forever.

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
Still developing my footsie game, but I can't defend against Reptile. I just get hit by Acid hand strings and endless run cancels. The same with Kabal. I've tried everything to get both of them off of Smoke, but nothing seems to work. Part of it is because I'm playing online, but maybe there's something I missing in those particular MU's?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Still developing my footsie game, but I can't defend against Reptile. I just get hit by Acid hand strings and endless run cancels. The same with Kabal. I've tried everything to get both of them off of Smoke, but nothing seems to work. Part of it is because I'm playing online, but maybe there's something I missing in those particular MU's?
You cannot keep away from Reptile. It is impossible for Smoke to keep him there due to dash completely ignoring smoke bomb's tracking. But Reptile struggles to apply any sort of forceball pressure outside of a knockdown or getting an EX slow ball on the screen. It comes down to the b2-range footsies. Smoke is generally better, but it's not free for him either, since dash is also a part of the neutral, as risky as it is in this matchup.

Also, @xarakamaka as far as Liu goes, I'm pretty sure Liu is bullied in footsies and can't play the ranged game. I don't see how he'd win it, honestly, just from a glance at the characters themselves, but I'm not a Liu or Smoke player so take that with a grain of salt. Skarlet, Idk how she'd lose, though. Ribbz would have to explain.