What's new

Smoke General Discussion

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
Man his Vicious Vapors (bf3) Cancel is difficult to do out of some strings. The timing is super strict, but doing it raw is super easy. It’s just the cancel part is weird. You can’t just input a string into it super quickly, you have to do the bf3 really late otherwise the cancel won’t work. I’ve just recently started labbing him after doing his combo trials and my thumbs are already hurting.

His low starter BnB that requires the cancel I got down, but it’s gonna take a lot of practicing the same combos to get the execution down. Also this makes me think that he’s gonna be difficult to use online, at least as far as using the cancel is concerned.

Anyway, aside from that I’m having fun with him. Just barely have had time to lab.
So you're saying you can't buffer, similar to MKX Special Forces Sonya

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
So you're saying you can't buffer, similar to MKX Special Forces Sonya
In my experience with this cancel, you can absolutely buffer the BF3, inputting it as early as you want. It's only the B+block that can't be buffered. You have to wait for the BF3 to start up on screen before you input the cancel. But it's a small window and easy to miss

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Finally had time to get into training mode again this morning and I think I’ve figured out the timing for the bf3 cancel. You have to wait until the animation of the move starts visually and then that’s when you press back+block. So on one hit normals into it, you basically can input the back+block nearly right after you input bf3. But for 2+ hit strings, just wait until the beginning of the animation starts and then that’s when you cancel. Kinda difficult to explain without a visual. I’ll try to make a video about it but Idk if I’ll be able to. Have barely gotten to play the game due to family issues unfortunately.

Oh, and Smoke definitely isn’t a character for those who have any hand or finger issues (like me). I’m gonna stick with him regardless, but man having arthritis in my hands and fingers is really hurting. His execution isn’t too difficult outside of the cancel, but man that cancel does a number on my fingers lol. Because I want to get it down to where I’m getting it at least 9 out of 10 times. So basically that means spending hours in training mode doing the same cancel combos over and over on both the left and right sides.

I have also been working in the Lab with Smoke and am finding the bf3 cancel is a tight window. Also finding it a challenge to get the 32 -> dash -> 32 into jump 112 to connect (can link the 32s but getting the jump 112 is tricky). To be fair I have only been able to spend maybe 2hrs total in the lab and then story/invasions so just likely a matter of time to get the muscle memory down. Still happy with the way the game and Smoke play so far.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
In my experience with this cancel, you can absolutely buffer the BF3, inputting it as early as you want. It's only the B+block that can't be buffered. You have to wait for the BF3 to start up on screen before you input the cancel. But it's a small window and easy to miss
Yeah it does sound like SF sonya, I've noticed if opponent is on wifi you might have to adjust timing. I'd go into practice and turn the setting online input delay on. I've always practiced like that.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Goro seems very good for Smoke. You can do b23 and immediately call Goro, who will launch if you hit or keep you plus if you block. No timing needed, utterly brainded. He also gives you a 50/50 tick off b2 with his overhead grab, allowing you to kombo for 24% meterless or 34% 1-bar, and I'm sure he can actually get a lot more. He also allows you to convert off Smoke Screen with proper timing. Just have to sue down-Goro just before ther 2nd hit of Smoke Screen.

Oh, and Smoke definitely isn’t a character for those who have any hand or finger issues (like me). I’m gonna stick with him regardless, but man having arthritis in my hands and fingers is really hurting. His execution isn’t too difficult outside of the cancel, but man that cancel does a number on my fingers lol. Because I want to get it down to where I’m getting it at least 9 out of 10 times. So basically that means spending hours in training mode doing the same cancel combos over and over on both the left and right sides.
All us old school MK players are starting to show their age. I play MK on pad and Tekken on stick. Tekken was starting make my hands sore even on stick and this game is hitting me hard with all these tight input windows and finger gymnastics. I want to pick up Nitara in addition to Smoke but all the inputs required for air dashing are wearing me down quick lol.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
How are you posting from “Twitter”? Have you not updated yours yet or something? When I post any links it says it’s from “X” and it doesn’t embed as you can see by my post above yours.
You can still go to Twitter on a browser and it'll work (you can also just replace the 'x' in a link here with 'twitter' and that'll work, too).

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
You can still go to Twitter on a browser and it'll work (you can also just replace the 'x' in a link here with 'twitter' and that'll work, too).
Oh dope! It worked!
Fuck this character.
Your hatred of Smoke ever since MK9 will always be adorable. Btw, who are you using in this game? Sindel perhaps? She seems to have decent zoning with her iafb

Man lao is looking so fucking strong as a kaemo. As one of the only ones giving a teleport he's already in a unique position to set up so much nonsense, but a ranged dealyable low projectile thats plus on block is just so so good. I feel like once everyone's more comfortable with the game sareena is going to drop like a stone and we're going to see a fuck ton of lao.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
Man lao is looking so fucking strong as a kaemo. As one of the only ones giving a teleport he's already in a unique position to set up so much nonsense, but a ranged dealyable low projectile thats plus on block is just so so good. I feel like once everyone's more comfortable with the game sareena is going to drop like a stone and we're going to see a fuck ton of lao.
I very much plan on testing Lao with Smoke later today. This looks...FUN.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
I just got bodied by a smoke and I felt like my block button was worthless. Also I have trouble actually seeing him on the screen. So he disappears and then reappears in front of you, behind you, has a low/oh into full combo mixup. I just can't follow what's going on on the screen.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Your hatred of Smoke ever since MK9 will always be adorable. Btw, who are you using in this game? Sindel perhaps? She seems to have decent zoning with her iafb
Proud Smoke hater for 12 years and counting. LOL.

I have been using Reiko and Sektor/Stryker as kameos.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Why are so many randoms apparently using Smoke? I know the most popular character doesn’t always mean top tier in NRS games, but it’s just strange to me that a character like Smoke seems to be this games version of MK11’s Scorpion. In order for Smoke to even be considered mid tier, you have to have his cancels down and be able to hit confirm. Most random people I see using him don’t even do any cancels at all let alone any optimal combos and certainly can’t hit confirm. They just mash & spam. My point is, there’s characters that you can mash with that are faaar more effective than Smoke, so why are so many casuals to average players using Smoke?

The only thing I can really think is that the other casuals to average players are losing to these horrible Smoke’s. Essentially, he’s a noob killer. Which means that these players aren’t even blocking his teleport in neutral, which is wild to me. Idk, like it’s always made sense to me who the most popular pick online is in NRS games. It being Smoke (at least for now), really makes me scratch my head ¯\(ツ)

yeah , smoke execution for the results isnt worth it imo. he also dont have real mix unless his invisible. Casuals complain about his b2 but its 28 frames.His cancels arent plus and most of his hit confirms strings have gaps.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Casuals complain about his b2 but its 28 frames.His cancels arent plus and most of his hit confirms strings have gaps.
Casuals don't even know what any of that means. Certain characters being stronger / weaker at certain levels of play was always the case. That's why Widowmaker in low ranks of Overwatch sucks, while in high ranks she can hard-carry games.